Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How often do you PB?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. How often do you PB?

• Never have.
    • Less than 5 times since I had my band.
    • A couple of times a month.
    • A couple of times a week.

You have to go to the beginning of these threads to sometimes get answers. I guess it means a "productive burp" and by productive I would say something comes with it...like a productive cough, you whip up loogies, by the description it sounds like if you eat too much, or too fast, or take too big of a bite, don't chew properly, you get something like what the cat hacks up.

Chew to Goo...that's a good one. I will remember. Also "Eat baby bites".

I have to train myself for this one as I am a gulper of food.

I have had it about 2 times this week. I just had my first fill this week. I am a teacher and I have to eat pretty quickly, so it is hard for me during lunch time. I chewed really well and slow today, so maybe this will not happen anymore.

Losingit07

I was banded on 9/22/06 and I had no PB until after my second fill on 12/15/06. For 3 weeks after, I felt like every time I tried to eat anything I would slimmed and 1/2 the time if I slimmed then I would end up PB'ing.

Just about 3 weeks ago I noticed that things changed.

1. I eat only what I know will go down Ok.

2. I eat so slow it takes a good 30-45min to eat even a salad.

3. I chew and chew and chew. My jaw actually get sooooooo sore from chewing.

4. I stop at the slightest twing of discomfort and dont pick up again until I am 100% sure it has passed.

I am slimming less, PB'ing less and weighing less.

I have shared my rules for avoiding PBing on other threads, but I will also post them here. Since following these rules, I have gone from PBing nearly every week, to PBing one time in almost three months:

1. liquids only for Breakfast (protein shake which includes 100% of essential Vitamins and minerals)

2. Soft/easy to eat food for lunch: chili, cheese, Soup, Beans, cottage cheese, yogurt, tuna salad, anything mushy

3. Wine before dinner, 1-2 glasses every night (then normal dinner).

4. If I am ravenous, absolutely no solid food, but take a Protein shake or drink wine before eating.

Since following these, my PB situation has improved very dramatically. In fact, the one time in nearly three months I did PB, it was because I did not follow rule #4. As long as I follow the rules, I am golden.

I hate Pbing more than anything, and am so grateful to have found a protocal that works for me.

I PB all of the time, but with yall's helpful tips, I am really going to be watching myself.

All I can get down right now is mushies and liquids because I am so tight. I cannot eat solids and I am on my fourth fill. Crunchy stuff, I do fine with - but bad crunchy stuff, carbs, cornchips, cheeze its, etc.

I cannot do carrot sticks, deli meats, or meats period - I got a salad from Chipotle the other night and it was a complete waste of 8 dollars.

ok, so i am going to be bruitally honest, so please don't get mad at me!

I have had the lap band August 31sth 2006. IN the first two months i lost no weight because i only had 1.2 cc in a 4 cc band... By novermberI got up to 1.9 cc and it was great. No heart burn or reflux, only pb ed if I overate. The only problem was that I would eat my small amount and i would be hungry again in 1 hr... so I thought, get another fill. I got another fill in novermber. 0.3 ccs. So I am at 2.2 cc... Terrible heart burn, constant pb covered in mucus. It was the worst week of my life. Went back, down to 2.0 cc... This was MUCH better in that I was never hungry, my portions would hold me to my next meal... Heart burn came every other day but I have been having heart burn since my early teen... From december 6th to January 26 I dropped 30 pounds. This may be because i started exercising and weight lifitngs every day. But i knew I wasnt eating much and I would stick to fluids and soft food, couldn't hold down meat. I was pbing every day. Like almost after every meal. I was eating 1-2 bites to much, which would just bounce back up. I spat it out, and it IS disgusting. THe heartburn got progressively worse. Could this be because I was pbing alot? I know this is not the right thing. I just think that i was too tight and I was in denial because i was dropping the weight so fast. So 5 pounds a week = pbing.. i didn't tell anyone. Now, this week it got so bad that I choke from reflux in my sleep and I keep pbing stomach acid. I went back today, got defilled to 1.8... Where 1.9 was not enough restriction, still with 1.8 i can't hold down food. Could it be that I developed an ulcer or some sort of stomach irritation from all the stomach acid and my stomach lining is swelled? I am really confused. I didn';t know i lost 30 pounds in 6 weeks untill my doc weighed me in today. So its not like i was trying to keep up weightloss, i wasn't even weighing myself... My clothes fit better... daily... and i thought this was good. Anyways, my main concern is that i think i have damaged my stomach in some way. Can someone please give me some guidance as to what I should do? One time it was so bad that my esaphogas felt like it was on fire. Im really worried and scared now. The nurse gave me a big lecture about my health and not losing weight too fast. I understand this now, but im just really scared. They mentioned somethin about completely defilling me and thats why i don't want to address my concerns with the nurses because IM afraid I will stop losing weight

:think

HELP!!!!

ps. im rarely hungry, ever since my stomach has been burning constantly..

:wave: Dear Sunta

I been advice by my deitition to eat soild food as it fills the pouch for four to five hours and not to drink for a hour after. she has recommended I limit my musky foods?:) Even though your diet sounds very colourful I am sure she would not approve. However, like the idear of the wine may add that heh heh :heh:

Lana :nervous

I've had slime and golfball episodes...maybe one a week since my lastest fill. But no PBs. You can't go wrong with small bites, and good chewing -- just like everyone says.

I had a terrible stomack flu last week. I was so nauseated I started throwing up..just that food didn't come up.The band moved against the tissue with every reflex and the pain...AWFUL,. Did this ever happened to u guys? I wonder if this damages the band??

Persistence - yes, throwing up violently from flu, illness or even pbing can slip your band - ask your doc to prescribe an anti nauseu - i think i have phenegran that works immediately. please be careful and i hope you feel better

Mirella - I know you want to lose weight but i think you are pbing too much - i am much looser now and not pbing at all. I'm happier eating more and healthier meals - solid foods. I never felt full with a Protein shake for Breakfast and yogurt or Soup for lunch - it just goes right through and its not how the band ism eant to work long term - sure we are all tighter at times but my doc convinced me I would probably now start losing weight by eating more regularly.

30pounds in a month is an awful lot of weight to lose and may be not too healthy overall. I met a mom and dgtr at my last unfill and both had to have their bands REMOVED due to being too tight for so long (one 3 years and one 5 years). Believe me I wanted to be too tight but i like food too much - i wish i had your weight loss but please talk to your doc and nutritionist for better advice.

you can't have your band this tight forever and you'll need to learn new eating behaviors, etc so it's best to start now. Good luck

I just want to say how excited I am that I have found a solution to my PB problem, at least for now. I decided to try the papaya enzymes that people talk about, and they work really well for me. Holding my breath did not help at all. But the papaya enzyme works for me better than I could have hoped.

I've been banded about a month and I have been very, very restricted so far, unable to eat anything, even mushies, most of the time. When I've tried to eat solid food or mushies I've gotten "stuck," and felt the golf ball, and ended up PBing, almost every day for the last couple weeks. I've really been worried about it because I know I can risk a slip that way.

So, I went to the health food store yesterday and bought some papaya enzyme tablets. They taste sweet, are sort of chalky, and dissolve in your mouth easily. They are not unpleasant at all.

Last night I ate a few bites of pot roast. I chewed it really well and ate very small bites, but I still knew for sure this would get stuck. I figured I'd just PB it up if the papaya enzyme did not work.

So, I felt it get stuck, I felt the golf ball, I felt the the hiccups, then the slime starting. I popped in a few papaya enzyme tablets, chewed them up, and the golf ball subsided in less than a minute, I was unstuck shortly thereafter, and felt fine in a few minutes. I tried it again today with chicken with the same result.

I have no idea why this works for me, and I have no way of knowing whether it will continue to work. But it has worked great so far. I'm so relieved. For those who PB a bit more often than they would like, I say give this a try.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts and tips. I am one of those that have recently been pbing quite frequently. Unfortunately, my doctor filled me at the end of January and went on vacation until March. So, I can't get unfilled and I am pbing all the time. Maybe I can try to utilize some of your tips.

THanks for the advice

you are absolutely right

by having my band too tight i irriated my stomach lining which caused inflamation and making the restriction even tighter

i had my band completely unfilled and believe it or not i still have restriction.

I think i made one of the biggest mistakes of my life because last week i couldn't even keep Water down and it took a few days for me to find my doctor, he was out of town. In the meantime, now i have digestive issues i need to recover from from not being able to eat or drink.

anyways, even now with no Fluid in the band i have restriction. We will leave the band unfilled for about 3 weeks waiting for my stomach to heal. I will keep this in mind i had the band at 2.2 cc then 2.1 cc then down to 1.8 cc. Even at 1.8 cc i had this problem. So to be save i will not go over 1.6 cc, if event hat. You are right i was only eating Soups and Meal Replacement shakes becasue i no longer felt hungry at all, i would force myself to eat. Now i am enjoying my food and still eating really well. I lost 30 pounds in 6 weeks but now i put on 4 pounds. I am thinking that is all the Water i lost last week plus some yo yoing going on from not being able to eat.

I have an apt with a nutritionist. Thanks for your insight

What a valuable thread. So many questions, so many good advise from older bandster too. I just wish there is a doctor looking in on this site and give us all some good valuable advise. I am one of those 'naughty ones' who is testing my band to the limit. Im banded at nearly max of my 7cc (or is it ml) band. I pb nearly every week, at least 3x a week. This is bcos it happens when I gets too hungry and ended up eating too fast, or when Im eating and working and not concentrating, thus not chewing my food properly, or even when I get greedy and try to eat one or two more spoon even after I have all the signal saying 'NO MORE!!!'. So the food ended up stuck like golf ball in the chest, and I ended up pb-ing and many times, I hv to put my finger in my throat to force the food out. Some days I think, god, Im acting like someone suffering from bulimia!! I know what i have to do, and I also know if i dont start slowing down and obeying my band signals, Im going to be in BIG trouble. Thanks for being the very wise one in this site MARY.

Wow, what a great thread. I am only 3 days post op. I am experiencing some slime in my mouth. Kind of like I feel like I'm going to just let loose. is this normal?

Pat