Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How often do you PB?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. How often do you PB?

• Never have.
    • Less than 5 times since I had my band.
    • A couple of times a month.
    • A couple of times a week.

Can someone help me understand? I don't know what PB feels like. I am in the research phase (no lap band yet) and this PB thing freaks me out cause I hate to vomit (stomach contractions suck)?

Anyway, I've noticed over the years when I get weak and go to InN'Out, I scarf my food down and a lot of it. Almost eveytime - within a few minutes of finishing eating - I get extra saliva (slime?) in the back of my throat/esophogus and then kinda spit it up (just a little bit - 1 spits worth (defintely not a vomit) - real gross, I know....

So, here's my question - Is this similar to having the band and PBing? Please let me know if this sounds similar? If not, I would love to know that PBing is NOT the same as vomiting with stomach contractions?

Thanks for everyone's support, thoughts, and experiences.:help:

Yes, that sounds similar.

PBing for me is nothing like that awful nauseous vomiting when you're sick. Nothing at all. I fear that more than almost anything, but PBing is is kind of just an automatic response. Its not pleasant but its not horrible like vomiting is.

Every time I PB it is my own fault! I take too big of bites. I eat too fast. I am learning but it is a slow process and old habits die hard I guess! I am really trying to slow down, chew well, and do all the things I am supposed to.

I never PB till I had my 3rd fill! I guess that Know I am eating to fast and to big of bites! I don't throw up every day though. That would scare me! I think that if you are throwing up everyday then you are way to tight!! Call the Doc!

Howdy from Cedar Park Lins!

I have had plenty of PBs. I have to admit, 99% of them were 100% my fault. I was not paying attention, in a hurry, took too big of a bite, etc..

The vast majority of mine are very small, not too unpleasant, and it's clears fast. Sometimes though, oh man.. The worst have been bread related.. As you can imagine.. It forms this "plug" that hits the stoma and smooth blocks it..

I'll share a bad experience.. I had to catch a shuttle to the airport, and had just snagged a grab-n-go Breakfast burrito... It stuck.. I couldn't get to a bathroom.. That was a very very bad 30 minutes.. very hard to hold..

Just like we all know, small tiny bites, and chew chew chew.

I haven't had a fill yet and I am having trouble with the PB. I'm sure it is because I am not eating slowly enough or putting too much in my mouth. I am hungry alot now so I think I am ready for a fill but scared to get it. I am 5 1/2 weeks out from banding.

I haven't had a fill yet and I am having trouble with the PB. I'm sure it is because I am not eating slowly enough or putting too much in my mouth. I am hungry alot now so I think I am ready for a fill but scared to get it. I am 5 1/2 weeks out from banding.

Hi peachylady, I want to mention a couple things about your post. I don't mean to tell you things you already know but in case it would be helpful I'll pass along these comments.

The reason people get fills is so that they can increase the "restriction" the band causes around their stomach. Without restriction, the food slips right past the band and you can eat pretty much whatever you want. If you have restriction, it means that the part of your stomach where the food goes is smaller, so you get full faster. Some people have significant restriction from the surgery alone. Sometimes this lasts for a short time and sometimes it lasts forever. A few lucky people find that they actually never need a fill because they permanently have sufficient restriction from the surgery alone.

In your case, if you are "having trouble with the PB," then it sounds to me like you still have pretty significant restriction. If that is true, then you don't need a fill. It can actually be dangerous and uncomfortable to get overfilled. People can get to where they have so much restriction they can't even drink Water.

You mention that you think you need a fill because you are hungry a lot now. But keep in mind that getting a fill does not have any effect on whether or not you get hungry. The only thing a fill does is it makes your stomach smaller so you get full on less food, and to stay full for a while, but it does not stop you from getting hungry.

I agree you should slow down and take smaller bites. That will probably help with the PB problem. But if I were you, I would not rush into getting a fill right now.

That's my .02

Thanks for your reply. I think you make a good point. I am really going to try to eat slower and smaller bites and see if I am eating more at meals than I need to and if it last 4 hours like it is suppose to do. When I eat to fast or too big of a bite I then cant eat what I am suppose to and so then I am hungry before the 4 hours is up. I really hope I am one of the lucky ones that wont need a fill for long while.

:embarassed::o

I am new to the forum and can figure out several of the acronyms, but this one has me stumped.

Please help.

Banded 2/27/07 306 lbs

272 First fill 1cc

253 2nd fill 2cc

skinnytobe!!!!;):clap2:

I have PBed 3-4 times but I know it is because I have eaten too fast and too big a bite. But it hurts....ALOT when you get that golf ball feeling. and I hate that the saliva seems to pour into my throat, felt sick but didnt throw up...someone told me papaya enzyme works well, when I feel like something is stuck I grab one and chew it, it helps to break down the food really fast and thank god it does.

Sue

I was not getting any useful information from my doctor about how to deal with what this group calls "PB" and "Slime". He told me that approximately 3% of the people that get Lap Bands done have a problem with thick stick mucus (slime). He called up some Lap Band guru on the East coast while I was in the room and didn't get any help there either. This web site ROCKS!

:clap2:

I did not have any problems until I started to get my port fills about 9 months after my Lap Band was put in place. To relate it to fill amount, it started at about 1.8cc and got progressively worse. When I reached 2.5cc, I yelled "uncle" and asked for some to be removed. I was expecting it to be brought down to 2.0cc but he wanted to go to 1.0cc. We bargined and settled on 1.5cc. Over the next 6 weeks I GAINED 21 pounds!!!! $%^&*()! My doctor said I had absolutely NO will power and I said he took too much Fluid out.:) He brought me back up to 2.1cc and I am starting to loose again, but at a very slow rate. That is fine with me.

Some have asked what is the problem if you PB/Regurgitate (throwing up) too much. My doctor said he is concerned about the esophagus (throat between the pharynx and stomach) getting stretched. He order an upper GI (gastro-intestinal) when I first told him of the problem I was having and he order another one to be done by my next visit. His course of action if that test came back positive would be to remove the Lap Band. I think anyone having problems with PB/Regurgitate more than 2-3 times a week should talk with their doctor about running an upper GI just to be safe. Maybe my doc is over reacting...but maybe he is not. That determination is between you and your doc. Fore warned is fore armed.

Unlike most have said here, the occurance of Slime and PB does not seem to be directly related to overeating, eating too fast, or eating too large of bites. My occurance seems to run in cycles. I will have days that even keeping Water down is a struggle and solid food is out of the question. The next day I can almost eat like a normal person. I will give the papaya enzyme a try to see if getting a blockage broken up with fix the problem. If that is true, then I might even have my port filled a little more.

Thanks again for being such a wonderful resource. You have given me hope and some possible solutions that my doctor could not.

:whoo:

I was getting so frustrated that I was considing having the Lab Band removed. And if I did that, I would not even consider having a R-n-Y because it is so invasive.

Mine also seems to go in cycles. I have not had a fill for two months and everything was going well. (I have lost slowly over the past year and a half - 75#). I can eat a fairly good sized meal - but only in the evening. Then all of a sudden I started pbing and really having to work keeping thin fluids down. I contacted my Dr. office and it was explained to me that this may be from having something plug it. The tissue around the band then becomes irritated and swells. A liquid diet was suggested after PBing. This has worked to some extent but I think I am finding another reason for this cycle. For me, it seems to have everything to do with hydration! If I don't drink enough Water for a day or two I start PBing! When I get to this point, I have to work very hard on sipping hot water all day before it will loosen up.

Hopefully this will help someone else.

In the nearly 7 months that I've been banded, I've PB'd 5 times. So, that's an average of .7 times per month. :)

Tricia you look WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WTG Chicky!!!