Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How often do you PB?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. How often do you PB?

• Never have.
    • Less than 5 times since I had my band.
    • A couple of times a month.
    • A couple of times a week.

Debbie - Just from what I've read on these boards, this seriously sounds like you might have a slip on your hands. I can't say for sure because I can't see it myself. :confused: But the symptoms sound familiar to what I've read in regards to slips. I would definitely talk to the doc about this. Reflux so bad that it wakes you up at night, especially being unfilled sounds mighty suspicious.

Hello every one

I am new to this forum but have been banded for over 3years.(I did not know this was here)

I am unfilled and PB at least 3xs weekly.(I just found out what PB meant today Thanks) The worse symptom I experience now is sever reflux.I have to sit up at night several xs per week to sleep. I am afraid this is damaging my esophfagus.I live on Pepsid Complete(My life saver).

I do know that some of it is due to the fact that I need to chew slower and stay away from chicken and french fries.(French frys were never ment to be eaten one at a time untill mushy).( I have lots of experience trying to get unstuck)

I have not seen my dr for over a year now and will be making an appt soon.After reading several stories I have learned some valuable information that I will put to use.I am excited to try the pinapple juice for stuck food issues.

I had intended to get a fill thinking that if the opening was smaller the food would not get stuck in the opening but not sure that would solve the reflux issues. I am slowly regaining the mere 40lbs lost since surgery.I do know that the band is only a tool and I guess I need to re educate myself about using this tool.My husband thinks I am a bulimic.Dinner last night ended up in the bushes at the restaraunt parking lot.(Sorry for the visual).I am excited to read all the different forums and I am sure I will gain alot of great information from all of you.I will post after my Dr appt to let you know the out come..Thanks for listening and I look forward to conversing with you.. Debbie

I have been banded a year and half and I still eat to much or eat too fast. I PB almost everyday. It is hard to learn to eat smaller and chew more.

I will have been banded 16 months next week and have PB'd only two times. One was just last week. Will not be having burger meat again for quite some time after that. I am very aware of not taking that last bite that will push me over the edge into pb land, ill avoid it at all costs.

I actually had this on days 2 & 3 post-op, believe it or not. It was because I had a really bad head cold (caught that in the hospital during my banding). So, when I came home, I had a ton of mucus that was just not knowing where to go. I believe it was getting trapped in my upper stomach and was too thick and stringy to get through the opening and empty into the lower stomach. So, about 4 or 5 different occasions, I would begin to sweat, I would begin to "slime" and salivate to the point where I knew I was gonna vomit. I would, but it was more of very loud burping and just a little bit of substance actually came up. I called my doc...he said I was having serious PB's due to the mucus. BLECH. I didn't like it, but it wasn't the worst thing on earth either...although it did hurt my port site from the contractions - I vomit and gag very violently. I always have.

It's a couple of times a week...but it's my own fault for not paying attention to my stopping signals! I'm getting better though! It used to be every day!

When things get stuck for me, I drink apple juice and it really helps. Sometimes I need to take a few sips but it does the trick... so no PBing for me. Of course I don't know how things will be after my next fill and when I have more restriction.

I did the first time yesterday if it is like a hiccup. Anyway only lasted a little while. I will try the Apple juice next time.

Thanks for the info.

I was banded 11/20 and I have not PB'd yet. I have had good restriction for 2 weeks now too. I hope I never do but I'm sure at some point it will happen.

I PB a couple times a week. If it's going to happen, it will happen in the first bite or two. Usually too big a bite or not chewing it enough. Also, in the morning I am tighter and also if I have been drinking the night before the next day is tight. I think drinking alcohol causes some swelling or tightness of the stoma. Then sometimes, I feel like I can eat anything no problem. When I PB, it's not too terribly bad. I start to burp and can feel the food stuck and not going down (it's quite uncomfortable). I go to the bathroom and basically spit up/throw up the obstruction. If I am having trouble bringing it up, I take a sip or two of Water and that helps bring things up, since the water can't go down either, it's reaction is to come back up. The most important thing is if you feel the food stuck and your burping, get to a bathroom right away, especially if you're around people, you don't want it to happen in front of them. I have sometimes had to spit up in napkins if a bathroom isn't close at hand.

I have never actually had anything come up that was stuck but I have had times were I felt alot of discomfort in my chest, burped over and over again, and had extra saliva that I had to keep spitting out because I felt like I couldn't swallow it. So does that mean I haven't had a "PB" but I had "the slimes"? Please set me straight.

I had my first bp the other day when I tried a chicken salad sandwich for the first time post-surgery. I don't know whether it was the big chunks of chicken that weren't chewed well enough or whether it was because I ate the first two bites too fast, but it came up in a matter of a minute or two after going down.

I was previously warned about dry meat causing problems, especially dry white meat from chicken or turkey, but I had forgotten about that. I will try to slow down and chew better to avoid doing that again. It was as unpleasant to me as vomiting.

Good Morning To all. I just want to share with everyone something I just learned. I like hot and spicy foods. Last month for several weeks I couldn't get enough of hot and spicy foods. This went on for several weeks. Until it took it's toll on me. As the weeks went on my PBing kept getting worse and worse, giving me the impression that my band was to tight/restriction to tight.

When I read on this site or another site about inflammed/ senstitive/ irritated stomach/stoma interferring with digestion and eatng of my food. With each meal there was more pain and pbing than before. Which sometimes I couldn't finish my meal till 30min to 1 hour later. It got to the point that I was afraid to eat. So I decided to let up on eating too often and taking to dring Protein Drinks and broth or Soup. In doing this I cut back on the spicy foods.

I began taking the Papaya Enzyme pills and drinking warm liquids prior to my morning meal and sometimes lunch. Along with eating something to help with digestion. After a week or more of not eating spicy foods, the irratition stop and my stomach/stoma began to heal itself. When I did get back to regular eating the problem stopped and I am now able to eat my meals without too much problems.

Say that to say this, if you eat hot spicy foods beware of what happens the next day or several days after. You may not have tight restriction, but may have irritated your digestive system, stomach or stoma. Remember the stoma only holds but so much food before it passes the band into the stomach. Which of course has to pass the esphogus first.

Hope this bit of info has helped someone. This Site is great for learning things.

I am 12 months post banding and have a few episodes of pbing. Usually after eating to fast or not chewing well. I have a hard time with the slow eating thing. Due to years of eating as fast as you can or not eating on the job, the adjustment to eating mindfully is hard and even after a year I still don't always do it well. I am always adjusting to this new way to eat. The discomfort of the episodes are a big wake up to pay attention and chew, chew, chew and eat very slowly. Down 77 lbs and slowing going down.

Edited by mrikat
wanted to add to it