Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Unfill For Convience????

Has anyone had or are thinking of having an unfill for convience only? Even if it is only a small amount out, per say for Thanksgiving or Christmas so you don't have to worry about getting stuck while at an event?

weight.png

Has anyone had or are thinking of having an unfill for convience only? Even if it is only a small amount out, per say for Thanksgiving or Christmas so you don't have to worry about getting stuck while at an event?

weight.png

That makes no sense to me...and it flies in the face of the principle of having a band.

It also indirectly says that your relationship with food has not changed. To obtain and maintain a healthy weight, we need to control our portions, and accept that we eat to live and not live to eat. Holidays, or other "convenience" excuses are not a valid reason to request an unfill.

My surgeon would refuse...however I would not ask.

IMHO...your mileage may vary...

I have think about it, and according to my doctor some people actually do that. However, I wouldn't do it, and not only for the economic side of it, but mostly because I'm doing this with the idea to change my life, to change my habits for good. I'm working on stop thinking in a obsessive way about the food, it's just food, and I don't need to over it on anything, because I'm pretty sure whatever is that I want to try, already had at one point, and most likely I over it, that's why I'm overweight.

I got the band over 4 years ago, and lost a bunch of weight, but never change my mentality about food or unhealthy relationship with it, so gained back most of the weight that I lost. I believe, it's imperative to switch or mentality about food...I'm in the process..

Good luck in yours, and thank you for sharing....

*over eat it

I've heard of people that do this. Before going on my first cruise about 18 mths ago, my nurse told me that alot of people get Fluid taken out before a cruise. Seems silly to me. Not only does it take forever to get back to the "green zone" after having an unfill, it goes against everything I'm trying to learn.

To each his own tho. Good luck getting that past your doc!

Marci

I was asked this question by a friend of mine who also has a band. I really don't know if I could go through with it but after she proposed this it has been going through my mind. I think I am almost to my "green zone" but I do often get stuck. (I think it is because I am still learning my current fill.) I just don't want to get to family holiday events and have to constantly find the bathroom. No one in my family knows I have the band. I am really scared of my first major holiday season with my band.

weight.png

I am so glad I am banded for the up coming Holidays. My band will give me the help I am going to need so that I don't 'over' stuff myself. Yes, I will still enjoy the foods I love the only difference is I won't be eating plates of it. I am grateful I won't have that painful feeling of 'busting' out of my clothing and feeling sick afterwards after eating a holiday meal. Those things I will be greatful for.

My eating habbits have changed drastically in such a small amount of time I have been banded, I look at food differently now and am extremely cautious of my food choices. Even though I had never had a fill, I still have restriction. I would never consider or even think of wanting an unfill just for my guilty pleasure, because at the end of the day, you would have to live with that guilt and thats one guilt I can do without...

I can enjoy a Thanksgiving or Christmas feast and be just as satisfied as I used to be. It's funny I used to worry about missing out on things like these special days but it really just seems the same to me now. MMMMMM love Holiday dinners!!! I don't worry about getting stuck, I rarely get stuck anymore cuz I finally "learned". But when I am at a special event or out for dinner in a restaraunt I am very very careful about my bites and chewing. (learned the hardway)

Besides... it's the Cookies you got to look out for!!! And they go down weather you are tight or lose!

I was asked this question by a friend of mine who also has a band. I really don't know if I could go through with it but after she proposed this it has been going through my mind. I think I am almost to my "green zone" but I do often get stuck. (I think it is because I am still learning my current fill.) I just don't want to get to family holiday events and have to constantly find the bathroom. No one in my family knows I have the band. I am really scared of my first major holiday season with my band.

weight.png

I'm puzzled by your concern...I've experienced only 1 stuck episode, and it was my fault. It would not require several stuck episodes for me to understand the limitations of my current level of restriction.

If you are having to "constantly find the bathroom I believe you would benefit from being more observant regarding your eating patterns. It should not require an entire learning process for every fill.

Another possibility is that your band is too tight. I would be discussing this with my surgeon ASAP.

I really hope you bandsters who have fills can address this issue she is experiencing because honestly, I would be veryyy concerned if I were getting 'stuck' often.

Have you spoke to your surgeon about the constant 'stuck' issues???

I really hope you bandsters who have fills can address this issue she is experiencing because honestly' date=' I would be veryyy concerned if I were getting 'stuck' often.

Have you spoke to your surgeon about the constant 'stuck' issues???[/quote']

Getting stuck could be because you are eating too big a bit, not chewing it enough and/or eating too fast. It could also mean that your band is too tight.

If you listen to the signals your band sends you won't have a problem. At least that is what works for me.

I wod never unfill unless it was medically necessary. Definately not for the holidays. But that's just me.

My first couple of fills were learning all over again too. I know that might seem a little strange but what we may think is a small bite or eating slow got smaller and slower with each of my fills. Ha! but eventually I got it right! I guess this is another one of those questions where the answer may be "It's different for everyone" Many of us get stuck often... it took me a while but I learned it was totally controllable by me.

I really hope you bandsters who have fills can address this issue she is experiencing because honestly' date=' I would be veryyy concerned if I were getting 'stuck' often.

Have you spoke to your surgeon about the constant 'stuck' issues???[/quote']

I have not spoken to him. I get stuck about 4-5 times a week. I had my last fill 4 weeks ago. I guess if I did not get stuck as often I would not be as scared of the upcoming holidays.

weight.png