Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So Discouraged!!!

a healthy lap-band diet is lots of protien (beans would be a great choice) and veggies. Rice and tortillas... well, could be very hard to eat. I know the cost of eating healthy can be more expensive but.... I eat about 1/4 th of what I was eating before so I figure I get 4 meals for the price of one!

It's a big decision... glad to see you doing your research!

Be patient, you didnt gain that weight overnight and youre not going to lose it overnight either. It may take awhile to feel restriction, but thats normal. Once you do you'll only be able to eat a small portion of what you can eat now. That will help with the weight loss, but so will making healthy choices which you can start with NOW ! Fill up on Protein 1st, then your fruits and veggies, and if there is any room left over, carbs. Once you're full, STOP EATING. You'll see the scale move when you add exercise. Something is better than nothing . You'll get out of the band what you put into it. Good protein sources- chicken, beef, turkey burger, Beans, etc.. ... Im down 46 lbs in 7 months, the band DOES work ! Good luck !

The band is only a tool. You need to eat less and and maker better choices. Most Successful bandsters count calories or do WW or something. If you don't eat less you will not lose weight. Same as before the band. The band is to make it easier. Once you have good restriction it will help.

Good luck!

YOU'RE RIGHT JUSTDOLT130, MY DOCTOR ALWAYS ASKED ME HOW MUCH COULD I STILL EAT INSTEAD OF WHAT I WAS EATING. BUT I WOULD ALWAYS TELL HIM "A LOT". THESE POSTS ARE ENCOURAGING ME TO NOT GIVE UP AND TO START OVER. AND BABIGIRL819, THEY'RE RIGHT. YOU ARE STILL JUST STARTING REALLY AND EVERYONE IS GIVING SOME GOOD ADVICE. THIS IS ADVICE THAT YOU AND I BOTH SHOULD HEED TO. C'MON, WE CAN DO THIS!! DON'T GIVE UP.

Keep at it.Everyone will have gains keep a diary and exercise exercise exercise makes a big difference. Good luck.

Until you get proper restriction, you have to control what and how much you eat or you will gain weight. Once you have the right restriction the band does most of the work. Don't give up on the band when it hasn't even started working yet. Lapband is a slower process than bypass but, we can control how much restriction we will ALWAYS have(its just getting there, thats hard), whereas bypass can slowly strretch back out over time. Good luck!

Wow! You made my day! What you wrote is music to my ears. I too am so discouraged with my band.......boo, hoo! But today I having been doing a lot of research on the internet and I am going to make some changes with my eating and portion size. What you wrote confirmed that there still is hope and that I did not waste 10 grand! Thanks!

I hate to tell you this, but you do have to "diet" in the beginning to get any results. Just because you CAN eat something, does not mean you should be.

LOVE THIS!!! It's sooo true!! I'm almost 4 weeks post-op and it SUCKS!! The only way to get through it is to stick to the golden rules!

Be patient and take the journey in stride. When you begin to get your fills you will be in the green zone at some point in which you will get some regular weight loss. It does take time, just as it did when you gained it but a tad bit faster! I saw more weight loss at the beginning of my second year with a total of 83-84 pounds. I still have a good 35-40 pounds to hit goal.

weight.png

I deff. see where your coming from that is my problem because I am able to get anything down I just eat, I dont want to I try to keep myself from eating bad that only last for so long. I feel like I just lost control of my body and I am trying to get it back. With my life so busy and having a 2 year old I'm always eating on the go just popping whatever i can find in my mouth just to eat something.

Unfortunately... you will always be able to get the "not good for you food" down. chips, ice cream, Cookies, candy.... all go down very very easy! So the trick is to "fill up" on protien so you don't eat that stuff. Oh, you are just getting started, I'm not judging you. Trust me we all struggle with this. It takes will power. But when you start to see the weight come off it will encourage you to keep plugging along! If I buy junk food. I eat it. I don't have the control if it is in my house so I try to not have anything in the house. Find healthy alternatives. Like Oikos key lime greek yogurt. I hated all yogurt. OMG I'm obsessed. It is better than a Milkyway! Seriously... I pick that over any of the crap I used to eat. Like eating the center out of a key lime pie! I'm sort of out of control with it!!! But it's good for me! ;) Still... everything in moderation but it is my guilty pleasure!

Restriction will help, no doubt about it.

Good Luck!

You really must think about making a major committment until you get all your weight off. This isn't easy, and you will have good days and bad days. I sure did. Keep a food diary and exercise diary, if you can. Don't push yourself to a point that it is too much of an effort. That is the quickest way to defeat. You have to find out what works best for you, not other people. I read about people losing 20 plus pounds per month and exercise an hour every day, hard exercise. Well good for them. I do as little as possible, I push the envelpe in that department, but I did make a committment until I lost all the weight. I lost slowly but lost it all and more and have kept it off for 6 years. It has been very easy to keep the weight off because I adjusted things to the person I am, a chocolate lover and hater of exercise. I make a Sugar Free Chocolate bar and I consider shopping a major workout. Don't get discouraged things will work out. Good luck.

LOVE THIS!!! It's sooo true!! I'm almost 4 weeks post-op and it SUCKS!! The only way to get through it is to stick to the golden rules!

I'm right there with you. I stepped up the exercise and changed what I eat (even though it was food on the list). I hope the scale moves again.

Hang in there! The lapband really is a tool. I'm 7mnths post op now and couldn't be happier. At first I had a hard time, but then realized it was up to me to control what I put in my mouth everyday. You have to make a personal committment to yourself. It really is a whole way of life. I had to learn self control which was the hardest thing for me. Don't get me wrong, I do have those moments where I just have to have to eat something bad, but those moments are few and far between these days. And when I do have those moments they are in moderation.

As the weight came off, it got a little easier to exercise too. Now I excercise 30mins a day 6 days a week. Once I hit my goal I will cut it back to 3-4 days a week, but realize I will have to do it to maintain.

Just like people have already said, Protein is the key. Filling up on protein really does make a difference.

You'll have bumps along the road and plateaus too, I don't know of anyone who hasn't. Just keep moving forward and focus on why you did this. I even made a vision board and hung it in the room I exercise in. I keep a picture of it on my phone motivation too.

Just remember why you started and don't give up. It's easier to give up, but if it's worth having, it's worth working for too! :)

Until you get proper restriction' date=' you have to control what and how much you eat or you will gain weight. Once you have the right restriction the band does most of the work. Don't give up on the band when it hasn't even started working yet. Lapband is a slower process than bypass but, we can control how much restriction we will ALWAYS have(its just getting there, thats hard), whereas bypass can slowly strretch back out over time. Good luck![/quote']

I too really needed to hear this. I am struggling big time. Banded 5/24 and have had 1 fill on 7/11. I haven't lost a pound since my first post-op appt, 6 weeks ago. I struggle with making the right food choices. My problem is my head. Grrr!

I want to thank everyone for their encouraging words and support I really needed it this has really been an eye opener!! While I have not done exercising yet I've been finding myself fighting with my self to make better choices. I feel like a crazy person talking to myself, everytime I want something bad I find myself saying no don't do it I take a deep breathe walk away or grab something healthy. Although its not much I'm happy to report a 1.5lb weight loss and that's just the push I needed to keep going through this long journey!!! If I can make a change anyone can we just have to push ourselves no matter how hard it seems.