Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So Discouraged!!!

I had my surgey April 11, 2012 I lost 10 lbs my first week after I saw my dr I was given the ok to start to eating normal food again, I have been on a downward sprial ever since. I gained 5 lbs back went for my first fill on May 31, 2012 had 2cc put in had some restrictions but I quickly learned to chew my food good and eat slow and by doing this I am able to eat pretty much anything. I had a 2nd fill June 30, 2012 I now have 6cc in my band and still have not lost a pound. Since I started the process from my first dr. visit to now I am down a total of 15 pounds but only 6 pounds since my surgery. Eveytime I see the weight I the scale I get more disgusted and I keep eating the things that I should not just because I feel like theres no hope and it is not going to work. Right now I feel as though the lapband has failed and I should of went with the gastric bypass as I would have better results. Has this happeneds to anyone else??

Until you get proper restriction, you have to control what and how much you eat or you will gain weight. Once you have the right restriction the band does most of the work. Don't give up on the band when it hasn't even started working yet. Lapband is a slower process than bypass but, we can control how much restriction we will ALWAYS have(its just getting there, thats hard), whereas bypass can slowly strretch back out over time. Good luck!

Don't get discouraged! That is the most destructive thing you can do. Remain positive and evaluate the habits you have. It may not be a matter of how much you are eating but WHAT you are eating. Are you trying to eat healthier? I know everyone's results vary as do Dr instructions, but my doc cleared me for all foods, with the typical exceptions, bread and rice 2 weeks after surgery. I kept eating as if I were still in my two weeks....mushies! After another week of that I slowly would try small bites of healthy produce and Protein. I'm in my 5 week and I'm down 34 lbs. You will find your zone, just keep at it. Look at your habits from all angles and adjust accordingly. Do NOT get discouraged...it will get better, and you will lose weight.

Rock on!

I hate to tell you this, but you do have to "diet" in the beginning to get any results. Just because you CAN eat something, does not mean you should be. They banded your stomach, not your head, so it can be hard. After being filled more you will have more restriction and not be able to eat as much, etc. You're in what is known as bandster hell- the period after surgery before you're filled enough for complete restriction. You have to put some effort into it, only eat the amount of food you SHOULD eat, not CAN eat. Good luck- it is worth it, for sure!!!!

Hey! I get very discouraged. But I keep trying. I see no change in the scale for weeks at a time, but in trying on my levis I hadn't worn in awhile - they were too loose! So - according to the physiologist at the hospital where I go for exercise, I'm gaining muscle and losing fat - but muscle weighs more! She said my body is "morphing". YOU HAVE TO EXERCISE! It doesn't fall off by dieting only. If you are exercising regularly but still eating too much you will stay the same. Maybe your band isn't tight enough yet. I finally got to the "sweet spot" at 6.1 cc's. My band was a 10cc. For a loooong time I could eat a horse if you put it in front of me. Not anymore. One cup of food (protein and veg combined) fills me up for about 2 to 2-1/2 hrs. Then I need my "snack". Usually a string cheese stick and a few almonds or 6 oz of greek yogurt with some fruit. KEEP AT IT! Don't give up! :)

Thank you everyone for your advice, the mistake I made was thinking once I get this done I wont be able to eat the Pasta and bread anymore because it wouldnt go down. So i figured I wouldnt have to really worry about it to much because the band will help to teach me to diet because I would not be able to get the food down that I shouldn't be eating. I have not even attempted to exercise yet, I have really fallen into this lazy I dont want to do anything mode that I am trying to get out of. I am joining the gym my next payday and Im hoping that will help me jump start this diet and knock this weight off.

"normal food" is protien and veg (in the dr.'s eyes) If you eat crap (often) you will fail. You seriously need to follow the rules set forth in your informational session prior to surgery. You can eat around the band, but if you fill up on the "good for you stuff" you will figure it out. It is definately a learning process! YOU CAN DO IT!!!!! Honestly, it's been way easier than I anticipated and I started this journey in the 400's!!! So imagine how out of control my eating was.

Best of Luck!

"normal food" is protien and veg (in the dr.'s eyes) If you eat crap (often) you will fail. You seriously need to follow the rules set forth in your informational session prior to surgery. You can eat around the band, but if you fill up on the "good for you stuff" you will figure it out. It is definately a learning process! YOU CAN DO IT!!!!! Honestly, it's been way easier than I anticipated and I started this journey in the 400's!!! So imagine how out of control my eating was.

Best of Luck!

I deff. see where your coming from that is my problem because I am able to get anything down I just eat, I dont want to I try to keep myself from eating bad that only last for so long. I feel like I just lost control of my body and I am trying to get it back. With my life so busy and having a 2 year old I'm always eating on the go just popping whatever i can find in my mouth just to eat something.

It makes me sad to realize how misinformed band patients are! I'm sorry that your doctor did not explain to you how the band actually works, by helping you to be satisfied on smaller amounts of food AND keeping you from being hungry for longer periods of time. Good luck!

Don't give up on yourself so quickly. Its hard work but you can do this! If I were you I would start small. Remove the temptation -- get all the unhealthy or trigger foods out of the house ASAP. Join a gym and start making exercise part of your routine. And take advantage of the resources you have (doctor, nutritionist, this community) to educate yourself. You may want to log your food for a couple weeks and show it to your nutritionist to get feedback.

You should only take a max of 20 minutes to eat your meal. Most say one cup or less per meal. If you have trouble making healthy choices because of your busy lifestyle, then you need to take a day a week to sit down and prepare meals and Snacks in proper portions that you can grab on the go. Don't make excuses because the only person you are cheating is you.

Well, Babigirl - I hope these replies help you. You've taken a big step in making your life so much better. With a 2 yr old to chase around you will be so much better equipped when you do lose the weight - and you have made a BIG START! You will get more energy after exercising even if you have to drag yourself to whatever you decide to do! I am 69 years old and have battled my weight since I was old enough to get on a scale! Every diet put more weight on when I quit dieting. This time I wanted it off and to stay off! Those lbs I lost now are gone forever! I WILL NOT EAT AROUND MY BAND! But the band is only a tool -- it will not take it off my magic. I have to keep telling myself that -- weight loss is still my responsibility - not the band's. Keep at it my friend - you have LOTS AND LOTS of people here who will support you...

THe band hasn't failed you, your behavior has. Sorry it's just the truth no sugar coating here. If your Dr didn't tell you well shame on him. If you have been on this site and read the post you may have seen what others are saying. The band is a tool you use it it doesn't use you.

Sure it's discouraging but when you don't eat what you are suppose to then it is is a natural consequence that you don't lose weight. I That was life before Lapband and it is life after Lapband . I suggest you go back on liquids and start over . Then you will see that when you do what your suppose to do the weight comes off . You are only sabataging and hurting yourself otherwise.

Bewildered here, I hear a lot of talk about the liquid diet and the diets after lapband. I am still in the research stage of banding and not having ruled it out... But what will a person have on a liquid diet? Or a healthy diet? Also as embarrassing as it is to say I do not earn a whole lot of money and have found that when I do try to purchase more healthier foods I tend to spend more... Rice and Beans with tortillas is a staple in my house hold because of the inexpenses and amount of meals per bag. I turned to this forum out of desperation. Any suggestions?

Don't get discouraged. I know it's easier said than done, believe me. I'm 2 years out from my surgery and down 95 lbs. It was a hard road to get where I am, and I am still not done (25 more to hit goal). You have to diet. Plain and simple. The band is a tool, nothing more. I know so many people who did not do well with the band because they had this horrible misconception that they could eat whatever they wanted, and the band would simply cut the portions. Wrong. You have to make healthier choices. My suggestion would be to join myfitnesspal or a similar site. It will allow you to be accountable for every bite/calorie you take. When I hit a plateau about a year ago I joined. I was amazed to see what I was doing! Again, you're still so new to all this. It's forever a learning experience, even when you hit your 2 year mark like me. I wish you lots of luck! Stay positive!