Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

why is YOUR nose bent out of shape?

something else that just kills me are people that mispronounce words nomatter how it is spelled. Example... Espresso vs. Expresso, Washington vs. Warshington, Explain vs. Exprain...etc.

I think the expresso gets me the most. do you see and 'x' in that word anywhere??? it just makes me crazy. ok...i'm done now.

[/rant]

Quote: Out of damp and gloomy days, out of solitude, out of loveless words directed at us, conclusions grow up in us like fungus: one morning they are there, we know not how, and they gaze upon us, morose and gray. Woe to the thinker who is not the gardener but only the soil of the plants that grow in him.

Author: Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Whoa, Nellie. Yes...all the time I have to garden my thoughts, because conclusions grow up in me like fungus, waaaay to easily. You know the thoughts, the negative self-talk, based on experiences, things said, things done, things that just happen. The fungus just mass-produces under those circumstances. I have spent the weekend fighting the fungus of conclusions. It started, TommyO, with our words and the posts of others about the ignore button (on that other thread, I think). The fungus grew up in me and I have been fighting it ever since. Things happen, not just LBT things, either, but all over my life. One little stupid comment from me blooms into more and more oppressing ugliness. I'm so sensitive to those things, it drives me crazy. THIS is a real area for needed growth and maturity for me. Leave it to Nietzche. Thanks for the quote TommyO.

Wow, TommyO..

coming from a guy who gets naked and covers himself in p-nut butter, that was pretty deep. *grins*

Seriously, it was an awesome quote. One we should all study and embrace. I know my garden needs some serious weeding and pruning.

Oh, me too!

"Awnry" for "ornery". I actually say it the right way, but have been corrected!

"Pacific" for "specific".

I used to work with a lady who was infamous for hearing something & trying to repeat it, but she would say what she thought she heard.

"They were really loud, raising a carcass" (raucous)

"They're going to lamp blast me" (lambaste)

"...all intensive purposes" (intents and purpose)

"It's a mute point" (moot)

"I've always had eligible handwriting" (legible)

There are a few things I'll get "preachy" about, because they bug me that much. Mostly in written form. A biggy is common to weightloss message boards in particular, and that's the difference between "lose" (to no longer have) or loose (opposite of tight). Your Bracelet may get loose because you lose weight! :eek:

• Wreckless vs reckless. Wreckless means to be without a wreck. Reckless means acting before you consider the hazards. Yet 99% of the time people use wreckless.
  • Insure vs. ensure. Insure means to protect against loss. Ensure means to verify something will or has happened. Your car is insured, you will ensure the task is complete.
  • Effect vs. affect. Effect means a cause, or to create, or possessions, or.... affect means you have influence, or it deals with emotions, or... In other words, you can affect a situation, and influence the effect of it, in which case you probably won't have a flat affect. All clear, right? :P

I've only been here a couple months, so I made a niche by just barging in on others conversations.

I specifically like answering on the ones that say "Women Only".

:eek:

Oh, my new boss is full of bad terms and mispronouncing. Her biggest one that got me was when we were talking about not discussing religion or politics etc with customers. She was relating a specific example about a jewish woman ranting in the dressing room about "all you christians" and my boss spoke up and said "now wait mrs. (name) I'm NOMINATIONAL. so don't rant on me about it." Oh and she just kept saying the word. I didn't want to correct her because she is a new boss. But she kept saying it and by the time I got home I was close to pulling out my hair. She is a smart lady, really on top of her game, but this is one of her downfalls. I have heard her say other things that were wrong and they stand out sooo much in my mind. I can only imagine what the customer must have thought!! LOL

Wewere going over the guidelines and helpful hints list for wworking there, and there was one line where she read "Be empathetic with your customers." She looked at me and said "This just means you need to watch them closely and be able to tell when someone needs a different size or color."

um...no it doesn't. lol but thats ok. I know what it means, and I can do that. :eek:

Kathy, you have a great name "the best me" I love this name because of what it implies. To me I see a person who is willing to accept themself with their flaws knowing that they are working to become a better person. So at any given time they are the best they can be knowing that they are committed to becoming even better.

I think that great philosophers such as Nietzsche are giving us guidance and challenge us to see if we can apply some key truths to ouseleves to make us better. They do not judge, they only offer us some potential insights into our hearts and minds and hope we may find solutions that work for us.

I think that the thing that we as overweight people overlook is that Plato or Machiavelli or Nietzsche have said little or nothing at all about being overweight, they ask us to work at being good people.

So what really gets my goat are good people who keep beating themselves up because they have flaws. Your post is very insightfull and shows that you are an intelligent caring person who is willing to forgive everyone. Possibly the one person you find hardest to forgive is yourself. You are not alone, the world is full of good people who are hard on themselves this is likely a common trait amongst overweight people. So today I am declaring a special day of amnesty for all those people who deserve forgiveness, not from others but from themselves.

I am shouting "I FORGIVE ME" lets all do the same.

I don't know why I have chosen to post this note on this tread but it made me feel good

Thanks TommyO and Wheetsin! Love these posts. I didn't get the difference between effect/affect until working in Mental Health, and then only after a lot of struggle. Some people (me) I guess.

And raise a CARCASS? HA! I sympathize with the posters who defend grammar and spelling issues. Dyslexia - no big. I am happy to read everyones posts.

Oh, now I'm laughing, my sister used to work with a woman who would use words she didn't understand...

Her mother was very sick... she had a genital heart failure. My sister couldn't help but burst out laughing. This same woman wanted to know if someone was going to drive to Hawaii from Washington.

I have a friend from New Mexico, and I thought he was pulling my leg about people telling him he was from a foreign country... when he tried to get tickets for the Atlanta Olympics, they kept telling him that he needed to use the international line for either Mexico.

That damn dog....LOL. My daughter has two dogs..an English Spaniel and an Australian Shepherd. The spaniel is female, the shepherd is male. In the summertime my daughter has the female's coat cut short to get rid of snarls and tangles. Every year like clockwork when the spaniel comes home from the groomer, the shepherd thinks there is a "new woman" in the kennel and tries to hump her constantly! It is so funny!

Grammar peeves....I can't stand it when people say "I axed him where he was going"....instead of "I asked him where he was going". My poor little MIL has a 3rd grade education...she cracks me up and brightens my day with her conversations. She is just a little retarded and doesn't read well, so she can't improve her grammar...hey...she is 91 years old! I will miss her when she is gone. When she means "the great depression"...she says "back during the compression"...and "we used to live in that housing condition" when she should have said "housing subdivision". LOL.

I hate when people say 'dethaw'! I want to say...defrost or thaw...to dethaw would be to freeze... but I usually let it go.

ohi love dethaw. that is a new one to me. and 'axe' vs 'asked' is a big petpeeve of mine too.

this is a bit anal... but the correct usage of 'y'all' gets me too.

y'all - singular

all y'all - plural

y'all's - possesive singular

all y'all's - possesive plural

jeez people!! get it right!!!

ok...just kidding, but my MIL is serious about it. she gets upset when people use it all wrong.

Oh, and by the way, Y-O-U-apostrophre-R-E is YOU ARE.

Y-O-U-R is YOUR.

--Ross to Rachel when they were on a break.

Let' see...the next line in that episode is.... "By the way, it does matter, it doesn't happen to everyone, and it is a big deal!!!" ...I knew it!

I think that that our freedom of speech is a beautiful thing. Look elsewhere in the world where they cannot speak their mind....we have had 300 lives destroyed in the past few weeks because some COWARDS are offended by a few cartoons featuring Mohammed (Do you know how many comments and cartoons I've had to endure that depict Christ in an awful way?). People are killed daily because they don't profess the right faith. People who speak out against terror or other critical topics in some countries are killed for their opinion.

So all of this to say: Speak your mind. I have to admit....I hate when my morbid curiousity gets me into a "bait" thread that I can't help but skim through. I'm dumbfounded that on the LBT boards I've learned all about favorite sexual positions, sex with fruit (yeah....it was on a thread)...and other profanity-filled tyrades that just aren't appropriate for mature adult conversation anywhere. But truthfully, I welcome the challenges and controversy, because this little microcosm of LBT is the real world...and in the real world people say really great things and people spout of really stupid things sometimes, and you have to sift through it to get to the good stuff. What an awful place this would be if eveything that was said was censored.

I would suggest that we maintain respect for each other, though. Attacks from one to another on the board are just never appropriate. That's just gossip and slander, we can do better than that.

I'm very happy to have stumbled across LBT last year. It's very informative....and entertaining. Keep posting, y'all (or is it All Y'all?!).

(On a totally separate note....Leener....I laugh everytime I'm scrolling a thread and stare at Christopher Walken face-to-face. hee hee- just did it again!)

Jon