Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Know... You've Heard This Before...

But I am really second guessing this whole thing! I am scheduled for surgery on the 20th. That is just 8 days away. I don't know why I feel like this. I have had surgeries in the past and haven't really been freaked out over them. I am not afraid of the surgery itself, I think what I am afraid of is giving up food. Does that make sense to anyone? I mean, everything seems to revolve around meals. Birthdays, holidays, parties, and for that matter, Fridays! Fridays have always been family night out. Our treat. And then other nights... we are one of the few families that still gather every evening at the dining room table to eat and discuss our day. How are things going to change??? And, I'm gonna just say it.... I LOVE EATING! There. I love it. Am I going to be able to do this? I need this, I want this, I gave up smoking to be able to have this.. so why am I doubting it now????

Well, thanks for reading my rant. Any encouragment is appreciated! sad.png

EVERYBODY goes through that. I remember the morning of the surgery asking myself "What the heck am I doing?"

But then I remembered this is something I havebeen wanting and working for so long, and honestly my health, and life for that matter relies on it.

I am at, or very near my goal and I do not regret it one bit!

I used to love food also. Now, I really don't think about it that much!!

I can tell you that my world revolved around food too. I used to eat from the moment I got up till the minute I went to bed. I lived to eat. I was banded in August and I will tell you that I still find myself at times thinking about nothing but what can I eat next, but the difference is that now I know it wont be comfortable to keep on eating the way I used to.But let me tell you the trade off is sooo worth it. I go shopping now and enjoy it so darned much. I go snow skiing, rock climbing, biking, you name it and enjoy myself so much. I cant wait for summer to get here so I can enjoy all my summer activities too- Water skiing, theme parks, parasailing, etc. There is no amount of food in the world that is better than the high I get out of all that fun!! You will feel the same way when you start losing the weight. I just hate that I waited so long to make this change. And guess what I didnt give up the food altogether. I still enjoy food, especially on special occasions, but I just dont eat so darn much of it and it doesnt have to be the center of everything. Good Luck! You can do this. The first few weeks are the hardest but it will get better with time.

I understand where you are coming from. I have 2 very (sports) active kids and I'm active in a few organizations which result in lots of picking up food on the go and Fridays are normally dine out or order in nights. I thought long and hard about how surgery would allow me to fit in with all of that. I realized my health was more important than fast food and making adjustments will be well worth it. I'm almost 4 weeks post op and on soft foods and ts been ok, on family sit-down meals I cook healthy for everyone, we choose KFC for Friday dinner out (I had some grilled and pulled off the skin w/ green beans). So far all is well.

Kathy, please relize that you dont have to give up all the foods you love. You just wont eat as much as you did before. I didnt do this to go on a diet so I dont "diet". I watch the cals. fats and sugars that I eat each day, but if Im at a bday party I have a pic of cake or out to dinner I order what I like and take home the left overs. You will learn to love left overs :}

Do this you will not regreat it. I don't!

Good Luck!!!!!

I felt the exact same way. I even sat there on the gurney, waiting to be wheeled back to surgery thinking "what the heck am I doing?"

Granted I was just banded on Jan. 6, but so far I'm SO glad I went through with this. I am still learning, but I am realizing I can still have old favorites just within reason.

For instance, this past weekend my kids begged for pizza. I love pizza and had been craving it for weeks. So, I had a single piece of pizza. Thanks to the band, that was enough and I was full and satisfied. The beauty of it? I was still within my calorie and fat allowance for the day, too.

It is work, and we must not diet but rather change our eating lifestyle, but I think it's more than worth it.

I also had very conflicted feelings about having this surgery. I have been unhappy with my weight for 10 years, but what pushed me into action was the discovery I had just crossed the A1C reading for Type II diabetes. Then I encountered several lenghty delays caused by medical issues, and I wondered if this was a sign that having the lap band surgery was not a good choice.

Then, last summer I met a woman, actually one of the merchandisers at the local women's show, who had her band for just over 6 months. She said something which "stuck" with me...she asked me what was more important, my health and well being, and having some restrictions on what I could eat during a few minutes a day (during meals), or having the unlimited food choices and not changing to a healthier life style. My "decision scale" had only two sides: health or diabetes(I knew I would never be a compliant diabetic). That question and answer made it a "no brainer" for me.

Keep your eye on the prize of health and weight loss! Good luck!

Kathy I sooooo feel for you. I was so excited about surgery, but the closer it got, the more it felt like doomsday. And I know why. I didn't have a preop diet, so I got to eat the way I wanted up til surgery. The countdown to surgery was like a countdown to the unknown. What foods will I never be able to eat again? Will I ever reach restriction? What if I have a complication? What if it doesn't WORK for me, just like everything else I have ever tried? But I had to ask myself...ok, so you can't have soda again...do you like soda more than you like to be thin? Do you like bread and Pasta more than you like to NOT be afraid to see an old friend cause you've gained more weight since the last time you've seen them? And most importantly, do you like to EAT more than you like to LIVE? food is fuel, and it is so temporary. Do I enjoy it? Of course I do, and I always will. I enjoy food shopping, farmers markets, the food network, and cooking. Having a lapband is not a death sentence for your tastebuds. It is a new life! I truly wish you all the success in the world, take back your life, Kathy, one step at a day, one day at a time.

Make yourself your number one priority! I even had friends and relatives question my decision, simply because, "you won't be able to have nachos and beer and ice cream"... as if that makes for a healthy meal! I love food, and have even planned whole vacations around eating, so now I've turned that into figuring out what kind of incredibly tasty things I can have in small amounts. When I do return to going out with friends or having meals with relatives, I'm looking forward to some compliments on my new look! They don't have to walk around in my body. I hope to be able to sip wine and munch on small tasty things while others enjoy stuffing themselves, not change my habits to rabbit food! It's almost like an adventure in tapas!

What you are feeling is completely normal. I went through the whole, "what will I do for the holidays, my birthday, going out with friends" thing. Everything revolves around food. I went through a mourning period for food in the beginning. I lost my best friend and I was an emotional wreck. I pushed through one day at a time and now with all this weight gone it is sooo worth it! I just plan if I go to a "food centered" event. Check out the menu online if we were going to a restaurant or if we were going to someones home I would bring something band friendly. I also really tried in the beginning to plan things that were healthy like go for walks, bike rides and things like that.. i am almost one year out and honestly i don't feel deprived at all. If I want something, I have it. A much smaller portion of it but it definitely satisfies my cravings. You will do great. Follow the rules and take it one day at a time! Good Luck to you on your journey!