Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

January Surgery Bandsters Group

I'm on day 8 of my 2-week pre-op diet' date=' surgery is next Tuesday January 17th, I don't have to explain my excitement I'm sure you all know. So glad to hear everyone is doing well and/or have found strategies to help them feel better (I know I'll be on pain meds for a long time, I'm a wuss when it comes to pain). I'm doing pretty good on the pre-op diet down about 6 pounds so far. I'll admit my energy is a bit low right now..however that has done wonders for my long-time insomnia now I'm getting plenty sleep..so I guess the low energy could be looked at as a good thing. lol I like the Protein Drinks and since I'm never been a big Breakfast eater until now I think they will become a permanent part in my post-op life to help balance my day.[/quote']

Id the two week diet pretty difficult? Are u very hungry? Or are u so motivated to be hindered by hunger? I am so excited for u keep logging on & giving updates it truely is encouraging

DeAna

Hi DeAna- are you not yet banded? The two week diet is hard, but it's worth it if you keep your goal in mind!

Nicole- well, at least you got a little more fill! And I would definitely go back in the 3 weeks if needed.

Savannah- I do know that they aspirate a little Fluid each time they fill to make sure they've hit the port. Are you tracking what you eat? Working out? I use myfitnesspal to track, and it really helps keep me on target.

As for me- I had my first stuck episode last night- a mini one, I think, but boy did it suck! It hurt and felt like I couldn't breathe- although I could. I did the chicken dance and jumped up and down, and it went away in under 10 minutes- I did burp, but not officially pb. Anyways, I know I need to slow it down! I have always been a fast eater. On another front, DH is being an a$$ and stressing me out. He's such a jerk sometimes, and always calls me at work with crappy stuff that upsets me. Well, not always, and he had been better about it, but now he's done it twice in as many weeks. It's frustrating and stressful. There's no talking about it, I've tried, and apparently it's all my fault. Grrr. Thanks for letting me vent.

DeAna...2wk diet can be challenging but its all about the goal! Nicole, I agree with JDI130. Savannah...I don't know if they've done that to mine or not. JDI130...yuck on the stuck episode. Those HURT! And try not to let the DH stress you out. Mine does that to me sometimes too. Honestly, I think he's not sure how to handle some things without my help. Frustrating sometimes but...I guess that's what happens after 21 years. lol.

Hi everyone- I had another mini stuck episode this weekend, just really minor, but it was good because I know my band is getting tighter! I mean, remember how I was worried that I was at 9 cc's and not much restriction? So now I know I'm probably close. yay! I have another fill in 2 weeks- I'm going every 3 weeks until I get this set.

And it looks like I'll get a a good loss this week, WID is on Wednesday but the scale is being friendly.

Happy Monday everyone! So I have been trying to incorporate some execersise. My husband and kids got me a beach cruiser bike for Mothers day. I definately enjoy riding it. Now I need to get the treadmill out from the back of the garage.

Since my last unfill a couple of weeks ago I feel like I did prior to the fill, even though he only took out .5cc from the 1.5cc he originally put in. I am going to go in Wednesday for another fill. I am kind of scared because I had so much problems before with not being able to tolerate anything. I need it though as I have not lost any weigh this month, gained a couple of pounds.

Here is to a new week! Congrats to everyone on their victories!!!

Hello Fellow January Bandsters! I have been silently watching everyone's posts and progress and chiming in once in a blue moon. I was banded on the January 31st and have only lost less than 15 lbs. since surgery. That is the real reason I haven't been posting - I'm embarassed that I am such a slow loser. I lost almost that much on the liquid diet two weeks prior to surgery, than I have in the last 3+ months. Although the total lost is around ~28 lbs., I keep beating myself up since I only average 1 lb. loss per week. I went in today for my 3rd fill. My doctor said that I am definitely one of those patients that will most likely have to be near full capacity to achieve the green zone status. With that being said, I now have 9cc in my 11cc band. He put in 5cc in March, 2cc in April, and 2cc today. I did tell my doctor that "I love you man!" - lol. I am so glad that he will do what I ask, but gives me fair warning that it could backfire (ie. get sick, throw up, need unfilled, etc.). I have always been such a slow eater. I truly pulvarize my food before swallowing - always have. My doctor loves that since it is great for the lapband. However, the food has been going through the band and not staying in the pouch very long. Therefore, I rarely ever get the feeling of being satisfied and unfortunately can eat anything and everything I want. I feel my portions are definitely not typical for a banded person. I am hoping and praying that with this fill and my lapband being at 82% capacity, that I will finally be unable to eat more than a small portion of anything going forward. I am truly looking forward to NOT being able to eat - lol. Who would have thought that? :)

My hospital discontinued their bariatric support group literally a few months before my surgery due to the group leader moving. Therefore, there is no local support that I can find (north Georgia). In addition, I haven't told anyone that I even had surgery except my daughter and <out of state> cousin - neither of which truly understand. So, I've been on my own in this journey and not feeling successful as a result. I definitely need the support of all of you wonderful people. Thanks for reading - will try to be more active and accountable going forward. Have a wonderful week everyone! :rolleyes:

Savannah..you just hang in there. Make sure that you are exercising too. Always measure your food and get through your Protein before having veggies or fruits. My doc says 1/2 to 1c of food. So measure measure measure! 28lbs is still good...always Celebrate any loss you have. You're at what? about 3 1/2 months? That's an average 8lbs per month, 2lbs per week which is a good steady weight loss. Make sure you are getting all your Water in as well. I learned the hard way that not doing that will slow you down big time. And, like you said, this fill just might be the one that really kicks things into gear. Some things I've started doing is cutting back on red meat. I get most of my protein from chicken, turkey, fish/tuna salad and sometimes pork. I might have red meat once a week. I'm trying to get away from sugar again too. Not that I have had a lot...but after 3 months of NO SUGAR, a cookie here and there really adds up. Based on something I saw in one of these forums last week, I'm cutting out a lot of dairy as well. Colby Jack cheese and cottage cheese were my go-to add-ins to help get in all my protein for the day. Not anymore. We'll see how that works out on the scale. God bless you and stay strong! We're here for ya!

Thanks Chrissy. Also, I think you were the one talking about the aspirating fills recently. I always video record my fills and double check my doctor, to confirm he actually gave me the full amount - lol. Thanks for the encouragement - hoping to see the scale start moving in the right direction. I have only been losing 1 lbs. per week on an average since surgery - so demotivating!! I will definitely step up the exercise and do the Protein first - gotta get back to basics! Have a great day everyone!

So I took my pity party to the mall. I bought 2 shirts size XL & 2 pair of capris size 16, not 16W but 16 in the regular womens section. So my scale can stuff it!! I look goooood!!!!

PS I am still complaining tomorrow & demanding a full cc, enough of the .5cc every 6 weeks crap!!

Way to go! I just bought some 16 (not 16W) myself and felt optimistic and bought a size 14 jean capris (hey they were on clearance for $3.00) I didn't even bother trying them on until a week later and they were tight but wearable and I even got them buttoned..I think I'll wait a little longer to wear them but It felt good to get them up.

I only get .5cc per fill too and last time he only gave me 1/2 of that! I'm thinking on June 8th I may see the doctor (who's a little more aggressive) than the PA who does the fill clinic.. I hope I don't need much more to get to the green zone, I can get up to about 3 hours before I start thinking of food but then again I know I am eating more than a cup of food at each sitting. I'm working out 4 days a week now and get very hungry which was always my problem, the food would over power the exercise efforts cause I would burn so many calories and binge eat them back on (pre-band) so I need to find this green zone fast so I "can't" fall back into that same position. yesterday I did Zumba and went home and ate 1/2 cup of sweet peas and almost 2 baked chicken thighs, then came back for more veggies and before I went to bed 3 hours later I was hungry again so I just ate a piece of 2% cheese and made myself go to sleep.. Exercise make me want to EAT EAT EAT.. its a crazy cycle thats why I always stopped exercising in the past..

Savannah26, you said your hospital discontinued their bariatric support group literally a few months before your surgery so no local support.. you stay in this forum, the ladies here are so very supportive and have experienced some of everything. We are all very nice and offer lots of encouragement. 1 thing that is important (I don't think you mentioned) are you drinking with your meals. I'm a stickler for waiting 30 minutes after I eat and not drinking within 15 minutes before. I understand drinking while eating or too close to eating will make you food slide right through your band too fast and leave you feeling unsatisfied. I've only been skimming the threads and not sure if someone else mentioned that. I know my portions are bigger than recommended and I've not reached my green spot...I just keep trying to exercise get in that Protein and water.. your body will respond and a slow weight loss is good that mean it will STAY off!

Savannah- yes, I agree with NJ2NC- stay on here! Slow loser or fast, we all need each other. That is awesome that your doc is pretty aggressive- I wish mine were a little more, but he's better than some. I was asking about the aspiration- I was wondering if they aspirated ALL the Fluid (to see how much is really in there), would they then push it all back in. But I think I'm getting close to the green zone, so I won't need them to check (they were going to if I felt like I had no change in restriction with the last fill- and I do feel a slight change). I agree also about the not drinking with meals- which has been HUGELY hard for me, I always drank A LOT with my meals. Now I don't, but watch the clock for that half hour to pass.

NJ2NC- size 14's!! yay!!! And those pounds will come off quickly!

Chrissy- that's why after eating some b-day cake I had a HARD time coming off that sugar high and started craving some sweets again. Had to back way the heck off!!!

Everyone, come out and post!! We all need support!!!

Chrissy, JustDoIt, NJ2NC -

Yes - I have had a hard time not drinking Water with my meals, but lately have been much, much better. I know I need to exercise more, but I always have an excuse such as getting home so late. I am very active, always going and doing something, but that doesn't equate to actually working out - lol. Starting tonight - I am back on the wagon and my new thought will be.... BIDIA!!!

Yes - I am here to stay and have made a goal to check in and at least read posts everyday. This is truly the best monthly bandsters group by far! Seriously, I peeked into the February bandsters since I had my surgery literally on the last day of January and felt like I could be on the cusp, but this group is awesome, so I plan to stay and play.

One more thing - had my fill yesterday, had Soup for dinner, was satisfied.... very nice feeling. I've been able to eat everything and swallow horse pills up until this point, which was disappointing to me that everything could get through my band with no problem. However, I tried to swallow some pills today and was so excited that the big one got stuck and hurt for a few minutes - I have so been looking forward to getting stuck so I know my band is working!!! That also gave me the mental check that I needed to NOT push anymore and to actually listen to my band. It feels like I might have good restriction for the first time ever. I am just as excited as I was the day I got banded. Doing the happy dance to "I'm Sexy and I Know it" but singing "I'm Restricted I Know it" in my head - lol. :P

Savannah- yes, I agree with NJ2NC- stay on here! Slow loser or fast, we all need each other. That is awesome that your doc is pretty aggressive- I wish mine were a little more, but he's better than some. I was asking about the aspiration- I was wondering if they aspirated ALL the Fluid (to see how much is really in there), would they then push it all back in. But I think I'm getting close to the green zone, so I won't need them to check (they were going to if I felt like I had no change in restriction with the last fill- and I do feel a slight change). I agree also about the not drinking with meals- which has been HUGELY hard for me, I always drank A LOT with my meals. Now I don't, but watch the clock for that half hour to pass.

Chrissy- that's why after eating some b-day cake I had a HARD time coming off that sugar high and started craving some sweets again. Had to back way the heck off!!!

Savannah- yes, I agree with NJ2NC- stay on here! Slow loser or fast, we all need each other. That is awesome that your doc is pretty aggressive- I wish mine were a little more, but he's better than some. I was asking about the aspiration- I was wondering if they aspirated ALL the fluid (to see how much is really in there), would they then push it all back in. But I think I'm getting close to the green zone, so I won't need them to check (they were going to if I felt like I had no change in restriction with the last fill- and I do feel a slight change). I agree also about the not drinking with meals- which has been HUGELY hard for me, I always drank A LOT with my meals. Now I don't, but watch the clock for that half hour to pass.

The plunger my doctor uses only holds 5cc’s so I don’t think it would be possible to pull more than that out with that needle. I doctor only aspirates about 2cc’s more than he puts in. I love watching the video <proof> of each fill. J

yes Savannah...you definitely need to not drink (my doc tells me) at least 20 minutes prior to eating and one hour after. I know several on here have been told to wait 30 minutes. I'm going to ask about that when i go in for a fill on Thursday. BIDIA has become my mantra (thanks JDI! LOL.) I make myself get up about an hour and a half earlier to go to the gym or workout at home because I don't feel like it after work either. This morning I woke up too late (kept hitting the snooze) to drive to the gym, so I got up and did some yoga with the wii fit plus and then took an almost 2-mile walk (35 minutes) around my neighborhood. No, its not my usual workout but that's okay too. Its good to change things up a bit. Just hang in there and take it one day at a time!

Oh friends, I'm in a slump! I've been keeping up with posts and taking all the support and success stories to heart, and now it's time to dump. JDI - I'm feeling your pain with the sweets! A couple of months ago I ate an Oreo and thought it was the nastiest thing ever! I was so proud that I had broken my sweet tooth. But as time has gone on (and DH has asked for more sweets for himself) I find myself eating more and more sugar.

I know the last couple of weeks have been emotional eating but that's no excuse. I'm in the middle of some drama with my family and I have to go visit them this weekend. As the trip has gotten closer, I've put more and more crap in my mouth. I think I'm close to the green zone since my last fill two weeks ago. I've had more and more stuck episodes, I've got reflux problems, and I've had to throw up more in the last 2 weeks than the entire time since surgery. But I keep powering through with junk! For example, I LOVE iced sugar Cookies and I bought a big one today as a "treat" (Ha! Not a treat if you eat this stuff every day!) and it was awful! But I still ate it! I could even feel myself on the verge of being stuck but I polished it off anyway!

I'm so scared because I always end up sabotaging myself on diets. This is the biggest weight loss and longest I've kept up with anything, but I'm scared to death I'm going to let it all slip down the drain. Plus not only do I feel bad emotionally when I eat the crap, but physically too! I've been so proud of my scale and non-scale victories, but I really feel like I'm ata mental plateau. I was doing well with my exercising and enjoying it, my hip has felt the best it has in probably 3 years, so what do I do? Stop working out!

I know if it's to be, it's up to me! And food is my rotten crutch that I need to get rid of, but I'm just in a funk about it all.

Thanks for listening and congratulations to all the size 16s! I did by a size 16 dress and a regular ladies XL top that made me feel great...now I just have to get my butt back on track so I don't start going I the other direction.

Thanks for listening! Love ya'll!