Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

January Surgery Bandsters Group

Savanah- I know what you mean about wanting to know that your band is working, it is nice to feel that restriciton. That is too funny about the "I am sexy(restricted) and I know it" Those will be the words I hear when I hear that song from now on. :)

NJ2NC- Congrats on the size 14, that is awesome!

As for me, not much to report here. No more weight really lost, and if anything I have been less motivated and a little discouraged lately. I can hardly eat more that 5 bites of food at this point, since my last fill and I am not losing weight. It seems like if you can only eat tiny amounts, shouldn't the weight fall off? It is frustrating because I love to eat, that is how I got here, but I really can't eat much. I am going through this mental issue of wanting to eat, but not satisfying that want. I am glad I am banded because in the past this is when I would binge and blow that whole thing.

I did have a good NSV this weekend. Someone took my pic while we were out and posted it on FB. I actually look skinny(ish) and I was so surprised. I posted my before pic with that pic in the Successes forum and got great feedback, it has been helpful for my depressed mood I have been in.

I know that this is a process and I should be thankful for the 52lbs I have lost, but it is so hard. Whoever says that this is the easy way out has no idea what they are talking about. Ok, enough of my rant.

Erica, I feel your pain!!!!! Finally I am at or approaching restriction, and I'm frustrated that I can't eat more than a few bites. There have actually been times where i get stuck on the first bite and just wish, for a few minutes, i didnt have this damn thing so i could binge...hard habit to break for sure. But I snap back to reality and thank God I can't binge at that point in time, abd think about all the calories I am saving by not doing what i would have done in the past...which brings us to the question....then WHY are we not dropping more weight? I'm stuck at 32-35#s lost for quite some time now...then ill move down and hover between the next set of numbers. I guess that's the name of the game...as long as its a downwards trend, I'm good. I am going to amp it up and get back to religiously counting calories ti make the next bday challenge of weighing 218 by June 1. I have been slacking on the calorie counting lately bc I figured I could eat a whole lot, but we all know...IT ADDS UP!

And might i add to our song...."I got saline in my band so when I eat I don't blow it....restricted and I know it" :))

And might i add to our song...."I got saline in my band so when I eat I don't blow it....restricted and I know it" :))

I love it!!!! I'm restricted and I know it!! lol

Congrats to all of you who have lost more weight, have had NSV's, etc. It's a wonderful thing!

I'm in a downword spiral at this time myself .Fortunately, not gaining but plateauing like some of you out there. Perhaps the newness has worn off for us January bandsters and it's now down to blood, sweat and tears! I have stopped exercising for the past 3 weeks for one reason or another. One, having some work around the house and have to be up early for that and when they're not here, just being lazy. Finally, work is finished and I have nothing on the calendar in the morning {I'm a morning exerciser when I exercise}. I am now in my work out clothes and ready to get up in the gym after my tylenol kicks in! No more excuses.

I'm still at 2.5 in my 10cc band. Have been stuck at least once a week but I think it's due to me not chewing enough. The past week I've been consciously chewing and haven't had a problem. I go next week for a fill although I can go tomorrow but fear I might have a problem like I did the last fill and don't want to have a problem over Memorial Day weekend. {my dr only does fills on Thurs nights which I'm not crazy about but have to go along with it}.

One more thing, this weekend is my "phantom" time of the month {had hysterectomy at age 36 but still get all the symptoms despite no ovaries} so I've been finding I'm eating my go-to junk food at night. Salty nachos and melted cheese and Fiber thin Cookies. I think I'm ready for that fill! And on that note, I'm going to work out before I find an excuse not to!! Keep the faith, we will get there with one another's support.

Erica and horsegirl....if you haven't already, talk to your dietician. When I'm stuck, the dietician at the doc's office has been so helpful in getting me back on track! Good luck to you both.

Meredith...feel your pain. I went through the "munchies" thing last week.I finally forced myself to choose something as healthy as possible to try to satisfy the cravings. If I wanted salty, I ate either a piece of deli ham wrapped around a pickle or for salty crunchy, I used tortilla strips instead of actual chips. a tablespoon or two of those was enough to satisfy the the salty crunch urge and it equals out to maybe 2 or three chips. Laughing Cow brand cheeses are a good staple to have. lower in fat but great in flavor. Good job on getting up and heading out to the gym. I had to force myself to go this morning as well. Still didn't do all that I usually do...but not a bad workout. God bless you all!

okay...so...I almost forgot. I've hit the stage where more hair than usual is coming out in the shower when I Shampoo. Does anyone know how much Biotin to take to help curb this?

My Multivitamin has some Biotin in it but my doc says its Protein that counts. Try 30% of your weight being grams of daily protein.

Thanks Kymie! I'm getting way more than 30% of my weight being grams of protein...probably more like 40-45%. Which is why i'm kinda suprised I've started experiencing this. Maybe its something else like stress? What type of Multi-Vitamin do you use? I may need to switch. lol.

Unfortunately sometimes it happens irregardless. However I use a multivitamin by Bariatric Advantage, also a Calcium chew supplement and Vitamin D one as well. All by Bariatric advantage. My doc sells in office but you can buy online as well at bariatricadvantage.com. I take 2 of the Multivitamins daily. 4 of the calcium chews daily. 1 of the Vitamin d capsules daily. Just make sure you wait at least an hour between anything with Iron in it like the vitamin and taking calcium or your boody won't absorb it as well.mthis puts me at over 200% or more on different Vitamins and minerals but it's what the doc approved.

Thanks Kymie!

Hi everyone- lots going on with all of us!

Kymie- I was thinking about you when I weighed in this morning- only .5 lbs to go to reach your birthday goal!!!

Chrissy- you're welcome for the BIDIA- it's something I learned in a weight loss forum a loooong time ago- it's a forum I'm still active on, even after 7 years, we've bonded- I'm hoping we here in our January group bond like that, because I really count on it! As to the biotin- I take 6000 mcg a day- a 1000 mcg in the morning, a 5000 mcg at noon with my Vitamin d. it's one that any excess is excreted in urine, so you won't have too much of it. I really believe it helps, because even though I get all my Protein in (as Kymie said), my hair was still falling out. I do notice an increase in it falling out if I skip a day (like I sometimes do on weekends). I had bought the 1000 mcg caps when I wasn't sure how much to take, so once I have taken all of them I'll probably end up with 10,000 mcg. The 5000 mcg I have is the size of a tic tac, so easy to swallow. i just found it at wal-mart, the spring valley brand.

Amica- emotional eating is the hardest thing to break! It's a mental challenge, for sure. The band is around our stomach, not our head :). I can't remember the exact acronym, but I read or heard once that if you're hungry you should STOP and think- am I really hungry, or am I bored, tired, mad, frustrated.....figure out the real reason. Some people brush their teeth or drink some Water to try to stop the munchie urge. Just know that you can always get back into it. Really, BIDIA works for me (but I did it anyway). I can USUALLY- not always- convince myself to workout or not eat something- and if I slip, oh well, as we have referenced Scarlett O'Hara before- "After all, tomorrow is another day!" I too have trouble (always have had this trouble, hence the 284 lbs) with not finishing something even if I don't like it- I have always been a card carrying member of the clean plate club, until I tore that card up when I was banded!!! Just put it down the disposal, or in the trash and put dish soap on it!!! And buying stuff I like as "rewards"- I was all about that! Now I have changed my idea of a reward- or I am changing it, as I still fall prey to it sometimes- I have met my 50 lb lost mark, so I'm getting a (much needed) pedicure. Think of- and write down- other things you could do that aren't food related. Just know- we are all struggling!!!! It's a day to day thing. You're doing great- I can't wait to be in a size 16!!! Just hang in there- your band is there for the duration!!

Erica- I saw your picture and you look great! It's a great victory to have photographic proof of your downward journey!!! I agree with this is no easy way out! For sure!! I have been noticing a pattern in my own weight loss- several weeks of minimal weight loss, then a much bigger loss, then minimal weight loss for several weeks, then a bigger loss- so if you've written down your weight weekly or anything, look for potential patterns. That helps you know- okay, only .5 lbs this week, but in 2 weeks it will probably be more!

Horsegirl- I think I'm coming to the realization that I will always have to count calories to some degree to keep myself on track. If I eyeball it or "wag" the calories, I'm nowhere in the ball park. When I reach goal I may give myself a little more wiggle room, but I definitely know I can't now. I agree with you- I am so glad I have my band, because I just can't give up now that I have it- I spent too much $$, I am putting my all into this- and I just won't give up on myself no matter how hard it is.

Meredith- yep, blood, sweat and tears. I think we're to the point where in other diets we'd give up, binge, whatever, and just gain it all back- but now we've taken fairly drastic steps to lose weight, and we really do want to succeed, but now it's harder and weight loss may slow down some....time to remember it's a marathon, not a sprint. hang in there, be consistent! BIDIA!! my mantra!!!! And tell us what your workout was today!!

So, I did have a good loss this past week, down 4.5 lbs for a total of 52.5 lbs lost. Time to schedule my groupon pedicure! Yay! I have been really consistent in my exercise- either 40 min of elliptical or 1 hour of zumba on at least 5 days a week, usually 6 and sometimes 7. I bought some light weights to do while watching TV at night but haven't started that yet. I am very consistent at logging into myfitnesspal, it really keeps me on track. I'm usually between 1000-1300 calories a day. So we'll all do this together! As I have said before, I am not doing this to fail!! I will do whatever it takes!

I just had a fill today. I am a little nervous. Previously I was at 6.5cc, I had to have 0.5cc taken out because I couldnt keep anything down. After that, I felt like I didnt even have a fill. I gained back 2lbs and decided to go in today. My doctor said I would probably only need a small fill because of what had happened last time. He puts some saline in and has me drink Water to see how it goes down. I did, went down fine, put more, went down, fine, more, slowed a little but not much. In the end he asked me if I was sure it wasnt slowing down because he had put a total of 2 more cc in. I was shocked! He pulled it all out to verify, then put it all back in and had me drink again. It slowed a little. He asked if I wanted to stay with 2cc or take some out. I decided to try it, and if needed I will go back for an unfill. I hope this works for restriction (but not too tight) since I am now at 8cc out of a 10cc band (on my 3rd fill). I drank 2 small bottles of water while I was in his office to make sure it went down ok.

I told him I was surprised because I see so many people whos doctors will give very little fills. He said he goes by how we feel when drinking since everyone is so different.

Just do it- Thanks for the advice about recording my weekly weights, I will have to keep better track of weekly to look for trends. Also, great job being down 4.5 pounds in a week! You are doing awesome!

N2animals- Good luck with your new fill. I hope that it works for you this time.

I feel so lucky to have you all! It was nice to post on here about my current struggle and to have people who understand and who are supportive. Thanks everyone!

I got a shock of my life this morning when I got on the scale. I lost 3lbs! I finally broke the plateau and I'm 1lb away from losing 40lbs! Was it that I go off my butt after 3 weeks and did a 5 mile workout yesterday, I highly doubt it but it didn't hurt. After eating those tortilla chips with cheddar cheese, peanuts and fiber thins for the past few nights I am in shock. So, now my question is, what IF I hadn't eaten all that junk? Would I have lost more lbs? Damn!! LOL Seriously, I'm fine with the 3lbs

Also, I had two NSV's this weekend. Sat night we had dinner at my sister's and one of her friends told her how great I looked. The following day, I bumped into one of her other friends {both gals I haven't seen since last summer}, who texted her saying how great I looked. Mind you, my sister is a size 7 and her friends are even smaller then she is! And the fact that my sister shared that with me was priceless as she's so happy for me.

And guess where I'm going after writing this, back upstairs to the gym and working out!

The Memorial weekend is upon us, I need to get in some exercise to keep the weight down.