Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Six Years Later....loving My Lap Band

Greetings fellow Bandsters,

I got a six year congratulations notice from the organizers of this site. It reminded me that I wanted to check back in with the community and talk about how wonderful this journey has been for me.

I was banded in November of 2005. It took me two years to shed the 100 lbs (seemed like forever), with all of the ups and downs. I seemed like it took forever to hit the sweet spot with fills. I made a deal with myself that I didn't need to be a "perfect" bandster, just a very good one. If this is you--hang in there. This thing does work.

I ate all of my food, never touched any "beaker food" or scientifically engineered food. I decided not to drink anything with calories in it for the first year of being banded. I made it a priority to either be filled enough to be losing weight, or going in to fill, each month until I was where I wanted to be. I think many bandsters never get tight enough to really learn how to use this method well.

I reached goal, and made my appointment with my plastic surgeon. He did fantastic work getting rid of my extra belly skin.

Since then, I am living the dream I used to have when I was heavy. I wake up slender. My clothes are beautiful and they fit. I never need to pull anything down to make sure anything is covered up. I am no longer self-conscious about how I look--I know I look good. I went from a size 18-20 to a size 4. I never believed I was a small person until after my plastic surgery--I have large bones and nice muscle (many formerly fat people do!) and not much else. When I look at my body in the mirror, I really like what I see.

Now that I know people who never knew me heavy, I am careful to represent my former fat community with respect for us all and the struggles we have endured. Yes, I have learned that many thin people sit around congratulating themselves for their wonderful self-discipline and judging others--and I tell them how really lucky they are to have been born thin.

Many doctors dont "get" the band. I am an executive in Health Care, so I meet many. They often explain to me that banding doesn't work, people "gain it back", yada yada. Then I tell them that I am a bandster, 100 pounds more than five years ago, never gained it back and they are shocked. They are probably surrounded by successful bandsters who, after learning to use the tool, don't talk about it all of the time--"did you know I used to be heavy" just doesn't come up in every conversation.

For me, I gained a huge amount of time not "navigating" being fat. I don't worry about how I look. I don't worry about what people think when I am eating. People automatically assume that I am as intelligent as I am. I fit in any airline seat comfortably, even the middle. I pull on wetsuits to go diving never worrying about if it will fit. If I ever try on anything that doesn't fit--the salespeople, and I assume that the product is not cut for me, not that there is anything wrong with my proportions. I am not out of breath walking up a mountainside, and I am as strong as I was when I was fat (most of us fatties are REALLY strong from carrying ourselves around.) I feel like I have averted the blood pressure and diabetes problems that run in my family. I get a lot of attention from men who say I am attractive. Since I lived my whole life up to six years ago not relying on my personal beauty for my inner peace, I think that is just a bonus. It is fun not to feel I want to avoid having my picture taken.

I have learned that if my band is too loose, I gain weight. I allow a ten pound max swing upwards before I go in to get my band filled. Then, gradually I get back to goal by cutting out a few extras like crackers and cheese, caloric beverages and the like. I have never missed fast food--it doesn't stand up to being chewed 20 times. Now, it's high quality or I don't bother eating or drinking it. There is nothing I don't eat, I just can't each much of it. I have cycled back down to goal three times so--I think I know how to do this the rest of my life. People used to say that it wasn't about dieting, it was about lifestyle changes, but for me before the band, it was about self-denial and dieting. After the band took the edge off my hunger and helped me understand Portion Control, it IS about lifestyle changes.

My only regret is that banding didn't exist when I was in my twenties--still getting past obesity at 45 was better than even later--although even that is possible.

All my best to all of the newer or wanna be bandsters out there--there is joy at this end of the road.

Chris

You're amazing! I enjoyed reading your post :)

Thank you for this wonderful post!

With quite a bit of negitive publicity concerning bands installed 4 or 5 years ago. it's great to hear

from someone who's been so successful that far out. It belies some of the naysayers that are belittling the band. You also describe the difficult processes that banders go through to gain

their 'easy' weight loss. Congratulations, and thanks for visiting, and come back often.

Great encouragement! Thanks for posting.

Congratulations on your band success! Your story is very motivating- I need to get back on track so that I can be just like you! Thanks!

Very inspiring!!!!!

Good to hear .

Great inspiration.

Wendy

Thanks you for sharing your story, it's a great Inspiration for us newly banded.

Great read! Great to hear that this will work if I put in the effort!! I am two weeks post-op and love hearing all this great news!!

Thank you! I can only hope I am as successful as you were when I get my band put in..I'm 24 years old and very excited to live life as a thinner person! (not too thin, but thinner..lol)

Thank you Chris. How wonderful to read your story. It truly brought me to tears, as I sat here, once again reminded that this really is happening for me. I am working my band. I don't deny myself, but often think to myself that food just doesn't look that good. I loved your story, know that you are a real inspiration to us "newbies" out here.

I cannot thank you enough for posting your story. There are so few posts from people as far out from surgery as you are. I know they exist but they're so busy enjoying their new thin healtly life that they forget to post once in a while. I gotta tell you that I got emotional reading your post because it hits so close to home. When you're heavy, your life involves around what am I going to wear, who is going to see me, are they going to notice how much I've gained, will there be a chair I can sit in....etc. I'm only down 38 lbs but already I've become less stressed in social situations because I'm no longer one of the biggest or biggest person in the room. It's really a feeling of freedom. I still love food but it has a different level of importance to me now. I LOVE MY BAND!

Again, thank you so much for your beautiful story and please check in from time to time!

Dear ChrisC, You are definitely an inspiration. I am 2 years out and am happy to be at goal. I thought that I was the only one that has a weight fluctuation. I am still trying to maintain, which I find harder than weight loss! Thank you for your story, you, Alex, and Jachut are probably the longest successful lapbanders on this site. Thanks again. Karen