Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Six Years Later....loving My Lap Band

Greetings fellow Bandsters' date='

I got a six year congratulations notice from the organizers of this site. It reminded me that I wanted to check back in with the community and talk about how wonderful this journey has been for me.

I was banded in November of 2005. It took me two years to shed the 100 lbs (seemed like forever), with all of the ups and downs. I seemed like it took forever to hit the sweet spot with fills. I made a deal with myself that I didn't need to be a "perfect" bandster, just a very good one. If this is you--hang in there. This thing does work.

I ate all of my food, never touched any "beaker food" or scientifically engineered food. I decided not to drink anything with calories in it for the first year of being banded. I made it a priority to either be filled enough to be losing weight, or going in to fill, each month until I was where I wanted to be. I think many bandsters never get tight enough to really learn how to use this method well.

I reached goal, and made my appointment with my plastic surgeon. He did fantastic work getting rid of my extra belly skin.

Since then, I am living the dream I used to have when I was heavy. I wake up slender. My clothes are beautiful and they fit. I never need to pull anything down to make sure anything is covered up. I am no longer self-conscious about how I look--I know I look good. I went from a size 18-20 to a size 4. I never believed I was a small person until after my plastic surgery--I have large bones and nice muscle (many formerly fat people do!) and not much else. When I look at my body in the mirror, I really like what I see.

Now that I know people who never knew me heavy, I am careful to represent my former fat community with respect for us all and the struggles we have endured. Yes, I have learned that many thin people sit around congratulating themselves for their wonderful self-discipline and judging others--and I tell them how really lucky they are to have been born thin.

Many doctors dont "get" the band. I am an executive in Health Care, so I meet many. They often explain to me that banding doesn't work, people "gain it back", yada yada. Then I tell them that I am a bandster, 100 pounds more than five years ago, never gained it back and they are shocked. They are probably surrounded by successful bandsters who, after learning to use the tool, don't talk about it all of the time--"did you know I used to be heavy" just doesn't come up in every conversation.

For me, I gained a huge amount of time not "navigating" being fat. I don't worry about how I look. I don't worry about what people think when I am eating. People automatically assume that I am as intelligent as I am. I fit in any airline seat comfortably, even the middle. I pull on wetsuits to go diving never worrying about if it will fit. If I ever try on anything that doesn't fit--the salespeople, and I assume that the product is not cut for me, not that there is anything wrong with my proportions. I am not out of breath walking up a mountainside, and I am as strong as I was when I was fat (most of us fatties are REALLY strong from carrying ourselves around.) I feel like I have averted the blood pressure and diabetes problems that run in my family. I get a lot of attention from men who say I am attractive. Since I lived my whole life up to six years ago not relying on my personal beauty for my inner peace, I think that is just a bonus. It is fun not to feel I want to avoid having my picture taken.

I have learned that if my band is too loose, I gain weight. I allow a ten pound max swing upwards before I go in to get my band filled. Then, gradually I get back to goal by cutting out a few extras like crackers and cheese, caloric beverages and the like. I have never missed fast food--it doesn't stand up to being chewed 20 times. Now, it's high quality or I don't bother eating or drinking it. There is nothing I don't eat, I just can't each much of it. I have cycled back down to goal three times so--I think I know how to do this the rest of my life. People used to say that it wasn't about dieting, it was about lifestyle changes, but for me before the band, it was about self-denial and dieting. After the band took the edge off my hunger and helped me understand Portion Control, it IS about lifestyle changes.

My only regret is that banding didn't exist when I was in my twenties--still getting past obesity at 45 was better than even later--although even that is possible.

All my best to all of the newer or wanna be bandsters out there--there is joy at this end of the road.

Chris[/quote']

This is great to hear. I just met someone yesterday who is 6 years out and is still successful. I plan to be one of those stories in 5 years. That is why I am having this surgery, for long term success. I have lost significant amounts of weight before, but always gain it back. So I looking for this to help learn consistency during the time when I have restriction.

So glad to have read your post! It is easy to get discouraged and reading others success stories realy help. I can and will get to my goal! I do wish my doctor was not so conservative but I guess that is due to the fact that I had so much trouble in the first three days and had to get a bigger band. Oh well I know from reading stories like yours I will get there it just might take a while. However I am learning a lot in the process. Thanks!

Congrats and thank you for sharing you are an insperation.

I can relate to what you say.

I was banded on July 6 06 and have lost 156 lbs. I was 40 when I had my surgery my only regret is that I didn't have it done sooner.

I also extended Tummy Tuck and had 14 lbs of skin removed moved and 4 lbs removed from my chest.

I started with a 54" waist and am now a 33".

It's great to hear from another long time bandster.

Congratulations Chris !

Tom, Toronto

Just what I needed to read! Thanks!

If anyone would ever like to chat on the phone I have free long distance and am sort of retired so I have a lot of free time. I have a lot of "band buddies" that I talk with in the US. I have free long distance and don't mind calling.

I host a monthly coffee group for bandsters. I found support from others to be so helpful.

Please feel free to e-mail me.

Tom, Toronto

tomander@bell.net

Dear Chris:

Congratulations on losing weight. I too got banded in 2005 and have plateauted.

Can you possibly share with me what you eat and how much exersise you do each day?

My band has been open and closed and opened. The lowest I ever was was 170 lbs and now I

am back up to 195. I recetly started exercising about a month ago and I am very religious about it.

I must be doing something wrong.

Any help???

Thanks,

Stacy

Awesome post! Thanks for the update :)

It's good to see this thread pop up again today! We all need to hear some good news!

chris - i love a story with a happy ending. i'm still waiting for mine! i got my original band in may of 2006 and lost about 80lbs. in oct 2010, i had to have the band replaced and now have the realize band. i don't find it to be as effective and have gained close to 40 lbs. my band replacement was completely my fault - not following the right diet and throwing up when i ate too much caused the band to slip and was beyond repair. i have not had a fill since i got the new band because i am afraid to get it too tight and start the same cycle again. i don't feel i have ever learned the proper way to eat with the band, other than knowing what foods definitely send me running to the bathroom to get rid of it - like bread, Pasta, steak. i really want to get a small fill, but just so concerned with getting back into the cycle of either over eating and/or eating foods i shouldn't and vomiting. it's an effective method of weight loss, but not one i would ever recommend! really unhealthy. i am really struggling - making an appointment with my doc to discuss. anyone out there experience anything similar?