Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vomiting and Depression after Lap Band Surgery

Ummmm no one is the lapband police but if your vomiting every single day then that is not normal. Yes on occassion and that should be rarely if something gets stuck it may come back up but you should not be vomiting everyday ever and if you are then you need to talk to your doctor. Whom ever thinks it is normal then you need to tell your doctor that your vomiting every single day and see what he says I am sure he will not be happy about that.

You need to talk to your Dr. as you are wrong. Different people respond to the band differently. My Surgeon a well known and respected man, knew that I spit up - vomited whatever you want to call it since I had surgery. But it is normal for some people. I spent about 2 months too tight so I know what too tight feels like and I am not too tight. Sometimes when food hits my pouch it is just instant reject. I have even had coffee come up through my nose . . . if it wants out it is coming out. I am more than 2 years out and have had many fluros and my Band is just fine and when I drink the barium it passes right through. But people's bodies react to things differently. Such factors as stress, medications, age, etc. can cause people's bodies to react differenty.

You seem so negative about every issue involing the band. You only see black and white and not the grey inbetween. None of us is right all the time and we do not know how other people's bodies will respond to the band. If I had read that I would spit-up - vomit all the time I would have passed on getting the Band as I always hated to vomit. But this is what I have and it has worked for me, with a few side effects but none like some medication's side effects that we choose to take.

Elcee is right it is really not vomiting but it seems like it, it is food in your pouch not in your stomach, except the coffee I think it comes from the stomach. Its not like I eat and then run to vomit, trust me I would bet many try to wait it out and when it seems it will not go down you just have to cough a little and up it comes along with whatever is on top of it. I am not sticking my finger down my throat to make myself vomit or spit-up.

We do not want to spit-up or vomit it just happens so we make sure everything is okay and then we check and see if we can change anything up, if not we deal with it. I have several banded friends more than 2 or 3 years out and they have never vomited but they slime so much they have to spit it out in a napkin, sometimes many napkins. I would rather spit-up than slime, but they did not choose that either it just HAPPENS!

Cheri

There is a huge difference between vomiting and spitting up a little. I did talk to my doctor about this very issue and he said people with the band should NEVER throw up. What your describing is hardly vomiting. Vomiting, throwing up is wretching your stomach violently so hard that your band would slip. If your just spitting up as you call it or sliming that is not vomiting or throwing up.

Would dry heaving count in your book?. We need to understand that there are 1000's of surgeons and they all say something different it seems. So why try forcing what your doctor says on everyone. Or making people think something is wrong with their band when it is not. I know the difference between vomiting and spitting up and I have done both as do a lot of people. We would perfer not to but you can't help what comes up. But why scare people?

Cheri

Cheri I am not going to continue this conversation with you because it is ridiculous that you must keep it going. Do what is best for you and everyone the same I was not trying to scare anyone I dont see any post that point that out. Its so sad that you have nothing more to do than badger posters of which I have seen more than once from you just because you dont agree with them. Move on its not that deep really it isnt.

Just for your information I do not “badger” people that you have seen more than once as you claim. Once that I can remember about a year ago did I have a back and forth with someone about drugs and I stand behind that. You don't want to read what I say just block me. But go back and read your own posts how friendly were they? I try to be friendly and supportive I do not scare people and I do not say “Never” when talking about the band as everyone is different and so is their experience and so is what their doctors say.

Cheri

I "uneat" once a day. Sometimes twice. I usually do it in the morning or afternoon when my band is tighter. Sometimes I can go weeks without "uneating" then the next day I can eat the same thing and it doesn't sit well. Last night I tired taking my normal pills and they came back up. I have been having a lot of drainage lately with my sinus so I'm hoping that is causing some of my issues lately.

I have learned the slower I eat. The smaller bites I take and long time I take to eat the less problems I have. I try to eat with smaller forks and spoons for that same issue.

I thought it might be helpful to clarify some of the terms used here and why ..

Productive Burping (PB)- or sliming is when the contents of the pouch are stuck or rejected and the food or slime is regurgitated back into your mouth .. this is due to the pouch being positioned very close to the oesophagus, the sliming is a response from your oesophagus to try get rid of the food it thinks you are choking on.

Vomiting - or being sick or throwing up etc is when the contents of the stomach, not the pouch are regurgitated.. we have all been 'sick' before were banded.

My understanding from what my Surgeon told me was that we will get episodes of PB, if it happens a lot, it 'could' be that your band may be a little too tight, some will PB often. What would be of concern more would be vomiting .. the agressive movements involved in your body being sick 'could' cause some problems with the band.

I had an episode of sliming and feeling stuck after some sf Jello lol i have never had that before after a year of eating the stuff !

We are all different and express our views opinions and stories in different ways using different words and phrases, this can create misunderstandings, which is the bane of the typed word.

Cut each other some slack we all are here to try and help and support each other :)

Crazy, im glad u clarified cuz I didnt knoe what to call it but pb must be it. Where did u get that info? N these forums r for positive talks ppl. Thats y I like them and maybe why others do. :)

Kaye have a look at this .. it Tamika explains what i was saying very well :)

Yeah its Cazzy right auto correct was on lol. n thanksteeth_smile.gif n hey how do i add a weight loss ticker?

Dear Kaye,

I totally understand where are coming from. I had the same situation for three months after the surgery. What really helped that I reminded myself of why I did the surgery in the first place. Also, I asked my family for their support no matter what. I celebrated my achievements even if they were small. Creating your own support system is what will get you through this rough time. It will get better from there. If the vomiting did not stop, I recommend you to go see your doctor.

Wish you all the best

Alaa

I vomit probably twice a week because i have a hard time slowing down, and even sometimes if i do eat right i still can vomit. Is this normal? N does anyone ever wanna just eat normal again? I feel depressed sometimes because i cant enjoy simple food sometimes. Those commercials that make lapband lifestyle seem like a breeze, those commercials should be banned.

Luckly I reached well ahead and choose not to eat normal ever again. Eating normal put at wt that was becoming dangerous to my health. So no I don't want to ever eat normal again. I haven't had a fill yet but I now knw how I feel when I get stuck so I m going to change my habits to fit my band. I do not think anyone should be throwing up on a weekly basis. Something is wrong if you do either you aren't changing habits ie chew chew chew or eating foods that you cannt tolerate anymore or your band is over filled? I hope you get to that green zone! Good luck

Luckly I reached well ahead and choose not to eat normal ever again. Eating normal put at wt that was becoming dangerous to my health. So no I don't want to ever eat normal again. I haven't had a fill yet but I now knw how I feel when I get stuck so I m going to change my habits to fit my band. I do not think anyone should be throwing up on a weekly basis. Something is wrong if you do either you aren't changing habits ie chew chew chew or eating foods that you cannt tolerate anymore or your band is over filled? I hope you get to that green zone! Good luck