Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey october bandsters!!! I just had surgery on the 27th and thing s went great! I'm still in quite a bit of pain but that's what these great pain meds are for!! Ive stated bluffing about my journey and the recipes I'm using to break up the monotony of liquids so check it out! Http://bandipes.blogspot.com

Lol not bluffing...blogging*

I thought it was a new term ? So I checked it out agin... Good Meds. huh ?;)

I went ahead with the lap band surgery with Dr Bruno Dillemans in Brugge. I arrived by Eurostar and checked in to my hotel on Tuesday 25th October. Had a consultation with the dietician and Dr Dilleman that same afternoon and was told to go out and enjoy myself before the lap band.

Wednesday 26th October at 4pm I was taken down for surgery, after waiting an hour for a theatre slot I was wheeled in and do not remember much apart from waking up in the recovery room hurting a lot and feeling very groggy. I was taken back up to the ward at around 7.30pm. I tried desperately to sleep but found it very difficult as I am not used to sleeping on my back, it was too painful to turn to my side or even attempt to move myself in bed. The nurses were brilliant every 2 hours they were checking temperature, blood pressure, fluids and adding painkillers to my drip.

On Thursday I was told to sip some Water so I did and managed it fine. I was still in a lot of pain but was determined to get out of bed so pushed myself to sit up and then get up and out of bed. I noticed the nurses watching and recognising I had pushed myself. I was told I would be discharged today and so I got changed out of the hospital robe into my own clothes. Dr Dillemans and his entourage arrived to have a quick exit chat. He was followed by his dietician who wanted to confirm I understood the diet regime for the next few weeks.

By 11am I was packed and ready to catch a bus back to the hotel. Pain at this point was high but it really helped being able to walk very slowly.

On Friday I got the Eurostar back home.

So it is Sunday morning today I kept to the liquid diet given by the hospitaal. I have been having Soup, some Protein shakes and a few yoghurts.

On Tuesday my weight was 92.9 kg today it is 91.2 kg that means 1.7kg weight loss in 4 days.

My stomach is still swollen. I still have pain in my port area and around the incisions. The pain is decreasing but the heartburn is not good. I have read others complaining about the pain in the left shoulder and somebody even recommended having tea with fennel and ginger. This has not helped me. The other big change I have experienced is constant burping and farting very soon after a meal. Better out than in! Oh and I feel constipated. i have changed from the 500mg paracetemol the hospital prescribed to dispersible co-codamol – so much better.

Normal activities taken part in since getting back, visited beautician, grocery shopping, cooked my own Soup from scratch, made a curry for a friend and driving around. I am pushing myself to ignore the pain and to get on with it as quickly as possible. I am tempted to go back to work tomorrow.

Would appreciate any advice on coughing - it is so painful any hints or tips?

Baggytop!

I was banded on the 21st! The only thing that really helps me, when I cough, is wrapping my arms around my tummy. I kinda hold myself in with my hands, by gently pressing in as I cough?! I get sharp pains when I sneeze . . . I hate that! I wish holding my tummy would make that go away! :o)

Give yourself time to recover - your body is still recovering and you'll benefit from the rest. I was tempted to go back to work early too and I'm so glad I waited. I felt great my first week back instead of struggling through it. Good luck and a speedy recovery.

Thanks will consider going back to work very carefully. Have to say the pain has really eased up. Can only feel pain around the port incision. Interesting how I have not had my band filled at all yet my food intake has reduced dramatically. Is this psychological or a genuine reduction in appetite due to the procedure?

I just hope I keep away from food that is bad for me.

ATT:. October Bandsters: Tomorrow is my 5 year Bandiversary...

I was Banded October 31, 2006. I just love it..:heart:::heart:::heart:

Do you think I should post in on the Forum Tomorrow ?

Looking for feedback, so let me know what you think, Shirley.

Banded 10/31/2006.

Henry Ford Hospital

Dr. Geffrey Genaw

Detroit, Michigan.

356Lbs.

Hi! I thought I would check in. I am 4 days post op and I feel really good. I hadn't taken any pain meds until tonight and it's not horrible but I want to be able to sleep. I was able to move to some thicker liquids today and had some thinned cream of chicken Soup. It was the best tasting thing I've had in a long time. I am just trying to focus on getting in all my protiens. I've had a few moments of hunger but they are easily taken care of with a few bites of yogurt or a protien shake. The hardest part is relying on others to take care of my sweet Charlie. He has been snuggling on the couch with me a lot. We went to a halloween thing this afternoon and I was able to walk around a lot. I'm really glad I'm doing this. My goal for the next few days is to start walking 15 min 3 or 4 times a day. The baby will be going to daycare during the day so that will let me get out. I hope everyone else is healing well and good luck to the Halloween bandsters. This was the easiest time I've ever said no to halloween candy!

I was banded on the 20th,And I can not believe how good I feel. The first few day were rough but pain is all gone looking forward to some soft food though

had my surgery on Friday, the 28th. feeling pretty good but the shoulder pain is bad. been using heat,warm tea & drugs. sure is hard to move on & off the bed! hospital stay was bad, exhausting...they woke so much and when they weren't in the room they were so noisy. glad to be home. I am walking 1/2 hr. at a time, it helps with everything.

none of these things were a surprise with all info I've learned! it really did help.

sorry you had the dry heaves. that must have been horrible! hope you are starting to feel better. keep sipping the liquids, got to keep hydrated

Hi all. I was banded yesterday 10/28, and getting around very well but hurting more than Id anticipated. Clear Liquids til 11/11 then on to mushies.

I dry heaved a lot when I woke up in recovery so Im sure that has contributed to my pain. Get to shower tomorrow, yay!

GUYS- I DONT MEAN TO DISCOURAGE ANYONE BUT I NEED ADVICE- I WAS BANDED 2 1/2 YEARS AGO & I LOST 100 POUNDS. (I BELIEVE JUST FROM FEAR OF THE BAND) I DID THIS I THINK JUST USING WILL POWER- WAS HUNGRY MOST OF THE TIME. I WAS SLOW TO GET FILLS BECAUSE I WAS WORRIED ABOUT SLOWING MY METABOLISM DOWN BY NOT EATING MUCH. I HAVE THE LARGER OF THE TWO BANDS & I THINK I AM 7CC NOW. I HAVE GAINED BACK MOST OF MY WEIGHT & NOW CAN HARDLY TELL THAT I HAVE EVEN HAD THE LAPBAND. I GUESS MY QUESTION IS DO YOU EVER GET TO WHERE YOU CAN ONLY EAT SMALL AMOUNTS OF food?

Soccermom, I'm glad you got some relief finally. Hopefully it will be smooth sailing now.

I will be banded the 12 th and I'm getting very excited.

Let us all know how you are doing.

I had to have an unfill as well. I was banded on Oct 12, and just had liquid for the first two days and on day 3 i went to full liquid by day four i was throwing up. i discovered i could no longer drink the same Protein Shake that i did pre surgery. When I went to my doctor for my one week post op visit, they asked me if i was getting in all of my fluids and i said I'm trying, and the nurse said are you just not thirsty or can you not drink them, and I explained that i was not able to do them as much as I would like because I had a horrible pressure in my chest when I did drink. She said ok, that means you get an unfill. So I currentlly have nothing in my band and my first fill won't be until Nov 7. i can't wait til i'm able to feel full.

I also have a question for all of you. How many calories are you consuming daily? I wasn't told what to stick around, but I was trying to say around 800, but sometimes that doesn't seem like enough for me to be satisfied. So I need some help pls!

Congrats to all who have been banded so far this month, and to the ones coming up. You are all doing great. :rolleyes:

Jess

I have been keeping 100% accurate record of everything I have eaten since I started the pre-op diet on Sept. 20, through MyFitnessPal app on my phone (also have website, and everything is synced between the two.) For the first week after my "unfill" on Oct. 8, I was averaging about 900 calories a day. This was on liquids/mushies. I went to "real" food" on Oct. 15 ( a couple days early) and my average since then is at about 1500-1700 calories. It is has been HARD to keep it there - I had 2500 calories one day! Of course, in my PB life (Pre-Band, ha, ha), 2500 calories would have felt like a stringent diet.

Am scheduled to see nurse practitioner tomorrow (11/1) and am pretty sure I will be getting a fill. I don't even want to see the scale, as I had lost 20 pounds, and I am sure I am back up some now. :( Never thought I would be BEGGING for a fill after how horrible I felt post-op.