Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am doing the same. I add milk to cream of wheat and to Soups, as well as adding yogurt to make smoothies but i'm only getting about 40-50g of Protein. Can't wait to get to real food cuz the Protein Shakes are making me sick.

why can we only have sugar free puddings, popsicles as opposed to regular or fat free?

Banded on 13th, I was only able to do shallow breathing because deeper breathing HURT SO BAD. Because of the anethesia and my history of asthma, the mucous junk settled in my chest. Just the last few days it has started to loosen and I'm coughing so much and it HURTS my stomach. I am now taking my inhaler every 4 hours and bought some Mucinex - I cannot afford to get sick with this junk in my lungs!

My doctor has me on 2 weeks of Protein Shakes only 60-80 grams per day - Then 2 weeks of pureed with Protein shakes still. Then 2 weeks of soft very mashed foods. I am so glad with this plan because I am dropping weight with it and I don't want to missed this great window of opportunity to lose it right off the bat.

Hi Marebeth,

I also have asthma and had some issues right after surgery (mine was on 9/16). When you cough, hold a pillow against your stomach to support you surgical areas, it really helped me. Try to take belly breaths as often as possible because it will help keep you from getting pneumonia.

I am also on liquids, but my surgeon requires it 4 weeks after surgery before introducing mushy foods.

Good luck with everything!

Dawn

I have found a KISS sweet spot for me. Keep it Simple Sweetheart! I have a Blender Bottle for 20 oz. First thing in the morning I fill it to 16oz of Fat Free Milk and 2 scoops of nectar chocolate Truffle totaling 48grams of Protein. I sip it 1 oz every 15 minutes from 8am to Noon. Then I sip on a bottle of spring Water 33oz in the afternoon. I don't care about finishing the water bottle - it's just my bottle I sip from the rest of the day. Because I took in 48g of protein I can afford to stop if I need to for a little while. Then late afternoon ore evening I drink a vanilla Atkins Protein Drink - 15 grams of Protein 160 Calories 1 Carb. My total Fluid intake has to be 48 to 64 oz and I can count the Protein Drinks and water combined. I just getting to 48 oz of fluids every day and I am working to increase that. Today was the 1st day I had hunger pains when I woke up....started on the protein drink and it went away.

This Liquid Protein diet has trained me to only sip an ounce over 15 minutes. It was tough at first but I got it down after 9 days now.

On the Fudgesicle - counting the Proteins in junk found is not considered a high vale protein. In my nutrition class there are only certain high value foods with protein that we are allowed to count - they said do not count the others. I understand if it is sugar free fudgesicles but don't we need to change our bad habits of thinking about sweets so much and think healthy foods and portions. If the fudgesicles are not sugar free, you are not starting out too good at changing poor nutritional decisions that got us in this position of having to get lap band surgery.

Were you able to take that much in though? I get full so easily that i would only have half a shake and be stuffed. That is my issue is getting full easily and then i fall behing on fluids and protein.

Need2lose........regular and fat free are full of sugars and calories. You can Google "How to read food labels" to learn how what you are getting in foods. Even if you are using 2% milk has much more carbs and calories than fat free milk. I used 2% 1 day this week and said never again - it had 28 Carbs and the calories were 100 extra over the fat free milk.

why can we only have sugar free puddings, popsicles as opposed to regular or fat free?

At first I tried the pillow and even that hurt. I would try to cough and it was so weak then finally a pillow started helping. I got that breathing gizmo from the hospital and it helped.

I think the liquid Protein for 4 weeks will give you a great start to losing weight and getting your tummy completely healed.

I think my doctor must have put a FILL in my band at surgery because he does the 1st fill 2 months later and I have read some people on here that after a week or two they got their first fill. I have to keep strict food journals listing all the amounts, Protein and calories and they said if I come to my first fill appt without them they won't do a fill. I like that because it makes me accountable to doing the food journal.

Hi Marebeth,

I also have asthma and had some issues right after surgery (mine was on 9/16). When you cough, hold a pillow against your stomach to support you surgical areas, it really helped me. Try to take belly breaths as often as possible because it will help keep you from getting pneumonia.

I am also on liquids, but my surgeon requires it 4 weeks after surgery before introducing mushy foods.

Good luck with everything!

Dawn

I so laughed when I read this! That is me! I sent my friend a text earlier and said "i just want to let out a big ol burp! Is that to much to ask!." i can tell when i need to cause I get pain under my left breast too! So cant take a deep breath when it is like that. Is anyone of the other new post op people worried about not having enough Protein intake???

I'm worried about not having enough of anything... I had 3 bottled waters, one Protein shake and some advil. I'm not hungry at all... Should I be worried? I want to eat some cream Soups but I was told to do my liquid diet for 5 days post op. Any suggestions?

On the Fudgesicle - counting the Proteins in junk found is not considered a high vale Protein. In my nutrition class there are only certain high value foods with Protein that we are allowed to count - they said do not count the others. I understand if it is sugar free fudgesicles but don't we need to change our bad habits of thinking about sweets so much and think healthy foods and portions. If the fudgesicles are not sugar free, you are not starting out too good at changing poor nutritional decisions that got us in this position of having to get lap band surgery.

I said they are the sugar free fudgesicles and I think we all got to where we are for different reasons.

Day 3-- if i had to sum up today in one word it would be...sucked. I woke up and felt great. I still took a dose of pain meds. Hey!! I have a great idea!! I tell DH lets all go to the store to get DS2 some new baseball pants. Me, stupidly thinking i was up for it, soon learned i had one of the stupidest ideas. I was so nauseous in the car. I survived it tho. I dunno if that car ride stirred up my gas or what but the gas is KILLING me. It hurts to stand sit or walk. It does not hurt to lay on my right side. Nothing helps. Not gas x, heat or walkinf. Seriously this is the worst pain. On a happier note mt incisions seem to be doing better an only the port incision is hurting and i only had ine dose of pain meds. This gas sucks totally sucks

J.

I'm worried about not having enough of anything... I had 3 bottled waters, one Protein shake and some advil. I'm not hungry at all... Should I be worried? I want to eat some cream Soups but I was told to do my liquid diet for 5 days post op. Any suggestions?

Are you on full liquids? I know at the hospital cream of chicken is a staple on a full liquid tray. I know before surgery it was a nono cause of the carbs but now we dont have to worry as much about that. When on full liquids a liquid is a liquid no mater what the base. I made myself start drinking some gatorade as well just for electrolytes (or smart water). I am on fill liquid now till thursday and if it runs off a spoon i can have it. Not sure if that helps. I am gagging down some of my Protein shits as well. They are so awful but i literally do them like a shot with a Water chaser! But i get some protein at least. I need to have a shake a day too but man i am tired of those!

Day 3-- if i had to sum up today in one word it would be...sucked. I woke up and felt great. I still took a dose of pain meds. Hey!! I have a great idea!! I tell DH lets all go to the store to get DS2 some new baseball pants. Me, stupidly thinking i was up for it, soon learned i had one of the stupidest ideas. I was so nauseous in the car. I survived it tho. I dunno if that car ride stirred up my gas or what but the gas is KILLING me. It hurts to stand sit or walk. It does not hurt to lay on my right side. Nothing helps. Not gas x, heat or walkinf. Seriously this is the worst pain. On a happier note mt incisions seem to be doing better an only the port incision is hurting and i only had ine dose of pain meds. This gas sucks totally sucks

J.

Lol i think i felt your pain in this post. I decided to drive my friends son home who came over to do some yard work... Its only a few blocks and i am on tylenol now for pain... Ill be fine! Well my dumb butt didnt figure into that picture that i drive a jeep! Not was climbing in a pain but just the bumpyness of the ride killed me... But i kept the brave face so he wasnt like what the heck! So i dropped him and decided to make it worth it and got an ice tea at sonic... It was a nice treat and to not fi jsh a small compared to the Rt 44 i use to get... That was strange! Tomorrow i am suppose to see a movie with a friend?.. Wish me luch on that one- oh and I go back to work Monday! Yea me!

Reddirt,

I dont go back to work til thurs (thank goodness!). I work with 3 girls that are banded and 2 of them were shocked i am taking off so long. Yeah, i have a word or 2 for them. They told me this procedure is easy peasy...no pain. Hmmm hmmmm, LIED. At least one of the 3 was honest to me but i didnt believe her. Sonic. Now that put a smile on my face. Dh was saying last night he was craving a burger (yeah, seriously HE was craving a burger. I dont even remember what a burger looks like!). Maybe he can go get a burger and bring me back a tea. That sounds good. But i am not getting into a car! I wanted to drive myself to wls support group on mon night so i hope i feel up to it then.

J

Need2lose........regular and fat free are full of sugars and calories. You can Google "How to read food labels" to learn how what you are getting in foods. Even if you are using 2% milk has much more carbs and calories than fat free milk. I used 2% 1 day this week and said never again - it had 28 Carbs and the calories were 100 extra over the fat free milk.

Hi there. My nutritionist said i need to have at least 1% milk with the Protein shake in the morning so that the fat-soluble Vitamins are able to be used by the body. After that, i only use skim milk.

I had malt-o-meal this morning! It was good to taste something different than a Protein Shake =) Can't believe I'm satisfied with half a cup... My pain is there but not too bad, gas pains in shoulders and no medication today! Going back to work tomorrow so I hope more will subside. Good luck to everyone going back!!!

I had malt-o-meal this morning! It was good to taste something different than a Protein shake =) Can't believe I'm satisfied with half a cup... My pain is there but not too bad, gas pains in shoulders and no medication today! Going back to work tomorrow so I hope more will subside. Good luck to everyone going back!!!

I never thought cream of wheat would ever taste as good as it does, lol. My father in law had a good suggestion, to add a little flavored sugar free coffee Creamer in with it to add different flavors too. I haven't tried it because I have the maple brown sugar now but I am going to try that next. I thought that sounded so good.