Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2nd day post op and I am so sore. Difficult to sleep last night. Still getting rid of the gas. Happy to be home and upgrading to foods like Soup and pudding.

Hope you get to feeling better soon! I'm praying for everyone in their 2nd & 3rd day post op!!! I just can't stop thinking about our healthy lives when we are recovered and back to a normal diet!

I was banded yesterday. These gas pains are killing me.I have been trying to walk,but it really hurts. I guess the gas is moving around or something. I could never imagine feeling like this.

oh my gosh... The pain is so much worse today sad.gif I don't feel like eating at all. I was dry heaving last night and I think it made my pain worse. I'm taking my pain and nausea meds but I don't feel like the pain med is working bc I'm still in so much pain. Does anyone have to use this little mechanism that you have breathe out and then take air in and see how far up the valves go? If so, do you know what this is for? Hope everyone else is having a good recovery!

I am day two post op too. My nausea was/is killer. Already calling the doc for more phenergan. I got a little routine going of gas ex then "eat" although yesterday it was just Water, some tea, tried a little Jello but it killed me! I have only taken pain meds three times. I dry heaved twce last night but both times just big belchs was all it was. That thing is an incentive spirometer. It is designed to have you take good deep breaths. With abd surgery especially you tend to breath more shallow. This allows for the lower parts of your lungs to just sit and no air exchange to happen... This leads to pneumonia. I always thell poeple if you are watching TV do one on each commercial you watch. If you are driving just do good deep breaths at every stop light.

Janice, just hang in there. In another couple of days or so you will be feeling much better. I think the 2nd and 3rd days are definitely the worst. Just tried to sleep in my bed for a bit, but it is back to the recliner. Another couple of days and I think it will happen, though.

Thanks Bromo for the encouragement. I took a shower and it felt great. I'm getting the gasX today. I never had any trouble with gas after my laparoscopic hysterectomy last summer so I didn't think I would have issues this time. WRONG!!! I'm sure I will feel much better once all of that gas is gone.

I know the worst is behind me and looking forward to better days ahead.

Hope you get to feeling better soon! I'm praying for everyone in their 2nd & 3rd day post op!!! I just can't stop thinking about our healthy lives when we are recovered and back to a normal diet!

Thanks Kat. The future is what keeps me going.

oh my gosh... The pain is so much worse today sad.gif I don't feel like eating at all. I was dry heaving last night and I think it made my pain worse. I'm taking my pain and nausea meds but I don't feel like the pain med is working bc I'm still in so much pain. Does anyone have to use this little mechanism that you have breathe out and then take air in and see how far up the valves go? If so, do you know what this is for? Hope everyone else is having a good recovery!

Trinate,

That little breathing gizmo is for your oxygen level and lungs. I had to do it.....My pain was so bad I did shallow breathing and my oxygen level was 85-89 (poor) and they kept telling me to do that gizmo and it would increase. Deep breathing increases oxygen and oxygen will decrease the pain and dizziness, especially when you've been laying down and then get up and are dizzy.

If you have ever had a problem with asthma or if you smoke they will make you breathe in that gizmo too. On that gizmo they want you to make the little ball go to 1000, so I was told in the hospital.

Thanks Bromo for the encouragement. I took a shower and it felt great. I'm getting the gasX today. I never had any trouble with gas after my laparoscopic hysterectomy last summer so I didn't think I would have issues this time. WRONG!!! I'm sure I will feel much better once all of that gas is gone.

I know the worst is behind me and looking forward to better days ahead.

I too had laproscopic for gall bladder removal and I remember it hurting a LOT for the first few days. I remember they told me to WALK WALK WALK and the more I walked the faster the gas works itself out. Nothing like walking with pain and dizziness. I promise you will feel better in a couple of days. Take your pain meds and take some good naps and rest.. I hope you feel better real soon!

Well, got to the hospital yesterday at 8:30 in the morning, surgery was right at 10. Other than fighting nausea for several hours following surgery, I have had very little problems so far. Had one dose of pain meds this morning and am severely bloated (my waist is 8 inches larger than it was when I went in for surgery!) but otherwise I feel good. Reading this site and hearing the good, bad,and ugly has been really helpful in preparing myself. Thanks all and good luck to those going through it in the next few days!

I found a site for weight loss recipes. It is www.skinnytaste.com!! They also list the serving size, with calories, fat and Protein, which helps. I started the pre-surg diet today so a cheeseburger sounds delicious. But I will stick to Protein Shakes and raw veggies--cheeseburger still sounds better-lol.;) Glad you are feeling better!

I just looked at that website and for the first time in 3 days food sounds good! Definately gonna try some of the recipes. I'll let you which ones I do and how they taste!

just curious if anyone has had a full feeling in their chest when they eat? Almost like heartburn, but no burning, just fullness? I don't really get belly full, but my chest feels full if that makes any sense. I had my surgery Sept 14. I am still on full liquids.

Yes I have had some fullness a few times but it only happens when I drink my Protein Drinks TOO FAST. Are you eating this soon or did you mean drinking? I'm suppose to sip 1 oz over 15 minutes and I'm now on that rhythm pretty good and don't have any fullness at all. Another reason to sip slowly is I read that if drinking too fast - it can stretch the pouch out - I sure don't want that. I was banded on Sept 13th. I won't be on soft foods until week 5. Interesting how doctors let some people eat right after surgery.

just curious if anyone has had a full feeling in their chest when they eat? Almost like heartburn, but no burning, just fullness? I don't really get belly full, but my chest feels full if that makes any sense. I had my surgery Sept 14. I am still on full liquids.< /p>

Yes I have had some fullness a few times but it only happens when I drink my Protein Drinks TOO FAST. Are you eating this soon or did you mean drinking? I'm suppose to sip 1 oz over 15 minutes and I'm now on that rhythm pretty good and don't have any fullness at all. Another reason to sip slowly is I read that if drinking too fast - it can stretch the pouch out - I sure don't want that. I was banded on Sept 13th. I won't be on soft foods until week 5. Interesting how doctors let some people eat right after surgery.

yes I meant drinking... i had Tomato Soup at lunch and only ate about 1 oz, but have drank Water since then. Maybe I drank my water too fast. i'll be on liquids until wed and then puree for a week then soft foods for a week. - so sounds like my doc is right in line with yours

I don't remember who was asking about recipes but I found this website that had some yummy recipes for post WLS. It is http://www.livingafterwls.com . They had some good ones :) Can't wait to eat regular food, I guess just to have a bigger variety, lol.

yes I meant drinking... i had Tomato Soup at lunch and only ate about 1 oz, but have drank Water since then. Maybe I drank my water too fast. i'll be on liquids until wed and then puree for a week then soft foods for a week. - so sounds like my doc is right in line with yours

Do you think maybe it was heartburn from Tomato Soup? I know all drs seem to have different guidelines but mine said no tomato soup because irritation or heartburn during the healing process. Did they give you any rx for heartburn? Mine gave me Nexium and I don't even have heartburn but they said it helps with the healing process.

Do you think maybe it was heartburn from Tomato Soup? I know all drs seem to have different guidelines but mine said no Tomato Soup because irritation or heartburn during the healing process. Did they give you any rx for heartburn? Mine gave me Nexium and I don't even have heartburn but they said it helps with the healing process.

could be real heartburn I suppose. I jsut never usually get it so I didn't think that was it! lol I don't even like tomato soup, but ate it because it was the only thing liquid at our work lunchoen. I will hope that it is and it goes away on its own. I gues I'll chunk the rest of the soup ! My doc never said anything about no tomato soup, but since yours did I'm sure there is a reason for it. Thanks for your input everyone. i just don't know what I'm suppose to even be feeling yet so anything out of the ordinary if freakin me out alittle.