Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any July 2011 Bandsters?

Had a great pre-op appointment today. Met with the surgeon, nutritionist and also had a short seminar with four other people about pre and post op care. I should hear from the surgical center tomorrow with a time and some more information.

I talked to a few people in the waiting room. One lady got dehydrated following surgery and ended up in the ER (it is super hot right now, 114 today and 115 degrees yesterday). There was another lady sitting next to me that was burping every 15 seconds (literally!). I felt so bad for her. She looked miserable. I'm guessing that she was there to have some Fluid removed...but yikes!

One good thing that I hadn't thought of was getting prescriptions early. I figured that I would get them when I was leaving the surgery center, but to my surprise, they were all ready for me today. One less thing to worry about - I can have them ready at home ahead of time! Woohoo!

Meds are: liquid Lortab for pain, Phenergan suppositories for nausea (yikes), Zofran for nausea, Keflex (antibiotic). See if your doc will write your scripts ahead of time!

8 more days here and counting. This pre-op diet is crazy, I'm hungry, constipated and have no energy. I'm staying focused though, almost there!

I had exactly the same problem, I was so discouraged I started questioning my decision...was the band going to not be effective for me etc. I am now on day 12 and I have lost 6lbs (not including the 2 I gained back because of the discouraged eating >.<) Anyway, I lost that 6lbs all this last week and I feel so much better!! I did ask my doctor about the not losing the first week though and he said its normal for a lot of people to not lose that first week because your body is adjusting. Everyone loses weight differently and while I had hoped to be one of the ones that dropped 20lbs on the pre-op I am satisfied with my 6 lol

just weighed myself and only lost 2 lbs and am on day 5 of pre-op diet, so am feeling discouraged...i guess this just proves to me why i need the band...it's so hard to make the scale move down even when i am trying so hard to stick to this diet!

Welcome to all our new members.

For those getting nervous or having cold feet, I made a list of reasons I'm doing it (and emailed it to my family). This really helps me when I wonder "What the hell am I doing!?". List is:

1. - My health is deteriorating rather quickly due to my weight. I am now pre-diabetic, have sky-high cholesterol and triglycerides, and fatty liver. I want to be around to see my grandkids!

2. - I took my son to Legoland and after 1 hour my feet, knees and ankles were killing me. I was in pain most of the day and couldn't enjoy myself. This has been going on for a decade.

3. - I spend 90% of my day thinking about my weight and how ugly I feel. This affects me in psychological and social ways that are hard to understand if you have never been obese.

4. - After losing 50 lbs. the year before last, I have put 30 lbs back on in the last year, and will probably gain another 30 this year if I don't get this done. This despite working out 4-6 times a week.

5. - This surgery is especially effective for over-eaters like me, who have problems with Portion Control.< /p>

6. - My weight has been a constant struggle for 25 of my 39 years now. It's time for something to change once and for all.

7. - While I could probably lose the weight myself, I'm clearly unable to KEEP it off, which is one of the benefits of the Lap Band. You keep it indefinitely, but is fully reversible if there are any problems.

8. - The surgery is done laproscopically so it is very minimally invasive. It leaves 3-4 tiny incisions.

You are getting me way too excited and rooting for you!! I start Pre-op diet in Thursday amid tremendous stress at work, thank God for my family support system.

Is anyone else feeling crappy about themselves? I just keep thinking "if you could just keep your piehole shut you wouldn't have to resort to SURGERY just to be a normal weight!"

Shauna

This may as well have been written for me!! Thank you for putting it so well, sometimes it can be hard to articulate subjects so sensitive!!

Welcome to all our new members.

For those getting nervous or having cold feet, I made a list of reasons I'm doing it (and emailed it to my family). This really helps me when I wonder "What the hell am I doing!?". List is:

1. - My health is deteriorating rather quickly due to my weight. I am now pre-diabetic, have sky-high cholesterol and triglycerides, and fatty liver. I want to be around to see my grandkids!

2. - I took my son to Legoland and after 1 hour my feet, knees and ankles were killing me. I was in pain most of the day and couldn't enjoy myself. This has been going on for a decade.

3. - I spend 90% of my day thinking about my weight and how ugly I feel. This affects me in psychological and social ways that are hard to understand if you have never been obese.

4. - After losing 50 lbs. the year before last, I have put 30 lbs back on in the last year, and will probably gain another 30 this year if I don't get this done. This despite working out 4-6 times a week.

5. - This surgery is especially effective for over-eaters like me, who have problems with Portion Control.< /p>

6. - My weight has been a constant struggle for 25 of my 39 years now. It's time for something to change once and for all.

7. - While I could probably lose the weight myself, I'm clearly unable to KEEP it off, which is one of the benefits of the Lap Band. You keep it indefinitely, but is fully reversible if there are any problems.

8. - The surgery is done laproscopically so it is very minimally invasive. It leaves 3-4 tiny incisions.

Is anyone else feeling crappy about themselves? I just keep thinking "if you could just keep your piehole shut you wouldn't have to resort to SURGERY just to be a normal weight!"

Shauna

YES. Especially since I have managed to adopt some changes in the last six weeks to prepare and have shed over 20 pounds. It makes me angry at myself, I am in my early thirties, able to move the scale downward when I focus, but I can never make it last or keep it off. Part of this journey for me has been reading books like The End of Overeating and understanding that there are so many factors to be considered. Your genes, metabolism are luck of the draw. The ways that restaurants and the marketing industries design, advertise, and prepare foods ensure that the dice are loaded against people with issues with overeating. I am not making excuses, I know I am ultimately responsible for where I am now, but sometimes it helps to know that the game isn't always fair to begin with. At least we are taking control and making the decision not be victims any longer.

Yes, totally feeling crappy this week. Also, has anyone had any friends or relatives start distancing from you? I have a very close friend who I hardly speak to now. She is overweight but does not want to go thru surgery. I didn't think this would affect our friendship but I can't understand the distance especially when I've needed support this past two weeks on the pre-op diet. I also have a family member who is overweight but is going to the gym and cutting back on food and she seems to be acting weird around me. I don't know maybe its just me but I don't feel my personality has changed. I haven't even had my surgery yet and I'm feeling like I will be losing some important people in my life after surgery.

In a lighter note, Has anyone thought about going on an airplane sometime after surgery? Will our band show up on the XRAY?? lol.. I can just picture it now people screaming and the TSA yelling I have a bomb in my tummy! hilarious!!

Shauna

Did ok today, but craved carbs. I mean bad...

Try to remember that many, many, many people with weight issues don't ever get as far as surgery (for all the reasons none of us did it any earlier than now). Quit beating yourself up; try to focus on the positives, like your determination to lose weight and keep it off using any means necessary. That takes strength.

You're also organized and kind and generous--even just a week or so on this list with you has shown me that. Use those skills to your advantage and rock the bandster life. Look forward, not back (except to acknowledge problems and figure out how to avoid repeating them).

(It's always so much easier to solve OTHER people's dilemmas, isn't it? So when I get down in the dumps, feel free to hand my own advice back to me!! :D )

Shauna

You wouldn't be human if you weren't going through these emotions!! The last month has been a whirlwind for me - from dropping the Lap Band bomb on my mom and dad, to having surgery set and backing out a week prior because of a money hungry surgeon. I've cried when I knew I was taking bites of my favorite foods that I know aren't healthy for me and that I won't eat again. I've been proud of myself for my decision, then the same day, hung my head in shame when I looked at my life and what I've done to myself. I'm no psychologist, but I know from reading all of the posts online that this stuff is all part of the experience.

Amy

Shauna

To all of those who have negatively influenced me to have this surgery (my rant).

This is for you, high school bully, who I remember screaming, "Boom Baba! Boom Baba!" when I stood atop the high dive at the pool.

This is for you, person in the airline seat next to me, who glared at my belly when he saw I was the person sitting next to him.

This is for you, carnival attendant, who told me I was too big for the ride and made me and my friend get off.

This is for you, ex-boyfriend, who broke up with me when he discovered that he could not make me skinny.

This is for you, friend, who distanced herself from me when I said I didn't want to eat out so much.

This is for you, insurance, who denied me.

This is for you, grade school friend, for saying, "I like not being the only fat one here."

This is for you, Mom, for saying, "But you have such a pretty face..."

This is for you, skinny sister, who asked me why I couldn't control my eating.

This is for you, friend of a friend, who said, "You can ride shotgun. You need more room."

This is for you, neighbor, for asking me when I was expecting.

This is for you, medical assistant, for yelling out the exam room door, "I need the bigger blood pressure cuff!"

This is for you, doctor's office, for having a super small gown that barely covered half of me.

This is for you, employers, for judging me because of my weight. I know you did.

To all of you, you'll never read this, but in some twisted way, I thank you for your belittling comments, because without those, I'm not sure if I would be having surgery. Each comment was like a dagger in my heart. Sometimes I laughed your comments off, but I always thought about them later. Your comments made me angry enough to WANT to love myself, to WANT to change my life and to WANT to be a better person.

I don't want to be skinny. I never will be. But I WILL be healthy, and I WILL find Amy, and I WILL LOVE her.

Sincerely,

Amy

That's my rant for the evening. It's been a rough couple of weeks, but good things are coming my way. I didn't know if I should share it, but after I just wrote it, I thought it might help someone, somewhere, even if no one comments on it. I know you read it, I know some of those things happened to you. Here's to the July Bandsters - Support. Friendship. Fun!

:PAmy

Thanks guys! Feeling better that I'm not the only one feeling this way. Tomorrow is a new day.

Amy, that list was awesome. I also have been thinking a lot of the many humiliating things that have happened to me.

Lizzy, thanks for the kind words. Sometimes I forget to like myself.

Nancy, thanks for the support. I'm sorry you are having problems with your friends...I am sure they will come around later after they see your success and happiness.

So let's start a new topic...what finally made you decide to pursue the lap-band? My final straw was when I realized I would actually consider taking illegal drugs to get thin again. Fortunately I didn't know any drug dealers or otherwise I'd probably be a meth-head with my teeth falling out!

Shauna

What made me decide to do the lap-band? I've been wanting it for years. I lived in NE Florida until 2008. My insurance company there did not cover it and I could not afford it. Simple as that. Moved to Chicago...and everyone here knows 2-3 people who have had it or some form of bariatric surgery...so I thought why not? Insurance covered 100% of it, woo hoo!

I'm looking forward to being healthy, not skinny. I want to be able to go ride my bike on the bike trails here with my family. To go up and down the stairs without huffing and puffing. Oh to be able to buy clothes in any store...my dream. I would love to be able to wear boots during the winter.

I want to live a long life and enjoy my children and grand children (if they have any...but not right now). I want to feel good about myself for the first time in my life. Even when I was 104 pounds and 20 years old, I still had self esteem issues. After spending the second half of my life on the otherside, I realize that the problems are still there; skinny or overweight. I've worked on fixing the inside me...now time to make the outside reflect the inside.

Day three of pre-op...no cheating. Lost 4 pounds, which is what is keeping me from sneaking a bite of something I shouldn't have. Everyone at my job knows I'm having the surgery...I'm not ashamed; proud to share. Anyway...my boss comes to me yesterday and asks if I want to go to Panera's for lunch tomorrow in between two meetings we have....really???? She forgot. I don't think she was being mean...she is actually one of my biggest supporters. :)

Hope everyone has a great Wednesday!!! Pre-op'ers....stay focused on your goal. July banders...thank you for ALL your support. I feel very blessed to have you all around me.