Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any July 2011 Bandsters?

It is Day 1 of Pre-Op for me. My surgeon's office requires two weeks with three Protein Shakes ( Glucerna) and two fruits per day. And lots of non-caloric fluids. I don't see how I'll have any energy left over after doing my day for exercise....anyone else have any thoughts on that?

It is Day 1 of Pre-Op for me. My surgeon's office requires two weeks with three Protein Shakes ( Glucerna) and two fruits per day. And lots of non-caloric fluids. I don't see how I'll have any energy left over after doing my day for exercise....anyone else have any thoughts on that?

I haven't really felt tired because of the shakes (I'm on day 3 of my two week pre-op). We have to use Slim Fast High Protein, 4 shakes a day and certain raw veggies as needed for hunger. My biggest struggle is wanting some meat...chicken, hamburger, fish, I don't care...just really want a bite of meat.

I excercise 20 mins a day on an elliptical....still feeling ok.

Good luck! I'm sure you will suprise yourself and do great!

Is anyone else feeling crappy about themselves? I just keep thinking "if you could just keep your piehole shut you wouldn't have to resort to SURGERY just to be a normal weight!"

Shauna

You must be a mindreader, Shauna :)

Hey Nancy,

I actually asked that question - about travelling - at my first seminar - the lap band should be equated like a hip or knee replacement, it will show up on Xray, but not hit on the beeping scanner, is what i was told. I too thought of how embarrassing it would be to have someone think i had a ticking time bomb.....little do they know :lol:

Lisa B

Yes, totally feeling crappy this week. Also, has anyone had any friends or relatives start distancing from you? I have a very close friend who I hardly speak to now. She is overweight but does not want to go thru surgery. I didn't think this would affect our friendship but I can't understand the distance especially when I've needed support this past two weeks on the pre-op diet. I also have a family member who is overweight but is going to the gym and cutting back on food and she seems to be acting weird around me. I don't know maybe its just me but I don't feel my personality has changed. I haven't even had my surgery yet and I'm feeling like I will be losing some important people in my life after surgery.

In a lighter note, Has anyone thought about going on an airplane sometime after surgery? Will our band show up on the XRAY?? lol.. I can just picture it now people screaming and the TSA yelling I have a bomb in my tummy! hilarious!!

I thought I would be too lathargic but it's actually got me really motivated! I burned over 700 calories at gym tonight and only ate like 600!!!

Is anyone else feeling crappy about themselves? I just keep thinking "if you could just keep your piehole shut you wouldn't have to resort to SURGERY just to be a normal weight!"

Shauna

I'm feeling better about myself actually! I KNOW that my weight isn't because I stuff myself with junk or don't exercise... I KNOW I eat healthier and exercise a MILLION times more than my skinny friends... I KNOW that everyone in my family is overweight and most of them have serious health issues as a result... I KNOW that I've inherited a hyper-efficient metabolism that means I'm ALWAYS hungry....and I KNOW that the band will get my body back on MY side for once!

I mean I'm not thrilled that I have to have surgery, but I UNDERSTAND that there are things beyond my control and I'm PROUD that I'm brave enough to take action against this problem that has had such a HUGE impact on my life!

Remember: WE ARE STRONG! WE ARE PRO-ACTIVE! WE ARE DOING THIS TO BECOME BETTER VERSIONS OF US!

To all of those who have negatively influenced me to have this surgery (my rant).

This is for you, high school bully, who I remember screaming, "Boom Baba! Boom Baba!" when I stood atop the high dive at the pool.

This is for you, person in the airline seat next to me, who glared at my belly when he saw I was the person sitting next to him.

This is for you, carnival attendant, who told me I was too big for the ride and made me and my friend get off.

This is for you, ex-boyfriend, who broke up with me when he discovered that he could not make me skinny.

This is for you, friend, who distanced herself from me when I said I didn't want to eat out so much.

This is for you, insurance, who denied me.

This is for you, grade school friend, for saying, "I like not being the only fat one here."

This is for you, Mom, for saying, "But you have such a pretty face..."

This is for you, skinny sister, who asked me why I couldn't control my eating.

This is for you, friend of a friend, who said, "You can ride shotgun. You need more room."

This is for you, neighbor, for asking me when I was expecting.

This is for you, medical assistant, for yelling out the exam room door, "I need the bigger blood pressure cuff!"

This is for you, doctor's office, for having a super small gown that barely covered half of me.

This is for you, employers, for judging me because of my weight. I know you did.

To all of you, you'll never read this, but in some twisted way, I thank you for your belittling comments, because without those, I'm not sure if I would be having surgery. Each comment was like a dagger in my heart. Sometimes I laughed your comments off, but I always thought about them later. Your comments made me angry enough to WANT to love myself, to WANT to change my life and to WANT to be a better person.

I don't want to be skinny. I never will be. But I WILL be healthy, and I WILL find Amy, and I WILL LOVE her.

Sincerely,

Amy

Amy, this was amazing. Thank you so much for putting into words what we all experience.

Thanks guys! Feeling better that I'm not the only one feeling this way. Tomorrow is a new day.

Amy, that list was awesome. I also have been thinking a lot of the many humiliating things that have happened to me.

Lizzy, thanks for the kind words. Sometimes I forget to like myself.

Nancy, thanks for the support. I'm sorry you are having problems with your friends...I am sure they will come around later after they see your success and happiness.

So let's start a new topic...what finally made you decide to pursue the lap-band? My final straw was when I realized I would actually consider taking illegal drugs to get thin again. Fortunately I didn't know any drug dealers or otherwise I'd probably be a meth-head with my teeth falling out!

Shauna

Watching the downhill self destructive path my now 600-pound mother has taken.

I know I've been told that I will be spending the night. My doc does a swallow test the next morning to make sure there are no leaks. You can't drink anything before that test is done.

<br />Shauna, <br />I don't like that you don't have a specific date!!! What happens if you fall into August????? What will I do? <br />By the way, Have you heard of anyone staying the night at the hospital or does everyone think that they will go home same day? I thought that I would be an outpatient, but have started thinking of staying overnight. My procedure is on a Thursday and I have tickets to a Def Leppard concert on Saturday night, I plan on going!!!!<br />Lisa<br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />

I'm getting banded on the 1st...and yes, the emotions are extremely high. Remember, you're not alone in any of this.

Wow. The emotions are really intense this morning. Woke up early with a lot of anxiety. I'm not sure that there is a minute that goes by when I'm not thinking about the surgery on Friday. I feel like I could just start crying at the drop of a hat. Anyone else getting super emotional? Deep breath....I can do this!!

Two more days, two more days until the rest of my life. God, I hope it's a great ride!

<pre-op high five!>

You got that right. I'll be with ya in spirit on Friday! At last count, there were NINE of us that are having our surgery on July 1st. :)

Two more days, two more days until the rest of my life. God, I hope it's a great ride!

Hey Jenjaw!

I am so relieved! Trying shakes, thats what I've been doing too. My husband runs a company that distributes nutrional supplements, so I've been able to try just about everything under the sun. So far, I really like Boost Glucose Control strawberry and the Carnation Instant Breakfast chocolate.

What have you found that you like?

Why I decided to have lap-band:

215890_216128958400289_100000095592044_923223_6357389_n.jpg

I didn't have my baby until I was almost 40, and I want to live for a long, long time for her. I won't do that unless I lose weight.

Why I decided to have lap-band:

215890_216128958400289_100000095592044_923223_6357389_n.jpg

I didn't have my baby until I was almost 40, and I want to live for a long, long time for her. I won't do that unless I lose weight.

She's beautiful!