Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any July 2011 Bandsters?

Hey There,

Just looking for any July 2011 banders. I just started my process, but as that I am "self-pay", I am on a fast track to surgery. Although, not terribly obese (bmi 34), I am using lap band surgery as a tool for continued success after loosing weight. I have always been able to join a program(diet or exercise or prescription) and loose weight.....I've done it several times with several different programs (not a good thing), but I always gain the weight back and more. Now that I am in my 40s, it is harder to loose and faster to come back. No more, I say! I want to be heathy in my future - family history/genetics dictates that I will/can be using a walker or wheel chair from degenerative bones and joints, heart disease, diabetes. I am trying to steer clear of that but still keep seeing myself heading in that direction, so now is the time for further action. Although apprehensive about going under, I am reading all the good things about the lap band procedure and am hoping that it is just a little more than the tubiligation and endemetrial ablasion that I had done last year. At least, I am thinking of it that way, so as to not scare myself too badly!

Lisa B - Northern Virginia

Hi, I am having my surgery on Tuesday. When is yours? Have you done the pre op diet...

Hello everyone! I just had my lapband inserted on July 20th and so far Im doing really well! Im not feeling hungry at all, Im still a little swollen and am not taking any pain meds because its not really that unbearably painful :D

Im having having trouble with the bowels though :/ But will be getting some laxatives to help things along as I think this pain iis worse! So make sure before you have your surgery, your bowels have opened, otherwise it will only get worse after surgery, especially since its so hard to 'push' when you are a bit sore from the operation. So far Im felling very positive and am looking forward to a new lease on life :)

Hi, I am having my surgery on Tuesday. How did you do with the pre-op diet? Also, how did you ask to have your bowels opened? Have you experienced any dumping feelings. . . Thanks for anything you can provide..Im getting kind of nervous. Im doing my grocery shopping tommorow.....how has your family been?

Hi there! Just wanted to add that I have a 7/30 date. I had to have my gallbladder removed last month, so they monitored my weight and since I have gained 1 lb. they want me to do the preop shakes--2 a day with a sensible meal.

I am excited and nervous.

Thanks for listening!

April

Back home now and newly banded! It was great experience, the staff and doctors were amazing and made me feel very relaxed. My pain level is managable and it is my shoulder that is causing the most discomfort at the moment. Earlier on the drive home I felt some nausea and light headed, but all in all I am happy to be on this side off the surgery.

Back home now and newly banded! It was great experience, the staff and doctors were amazing and made me feel very relaxed. My pain level is managable and it is my shoulder that is causing the most discomfort at the moment. Earlier on the drive home I felt some nausea and light headed, but all in all I am happy to be on this side off the surgery.

Glad to hear it went so well Razz.....I'm getting banded Monday.....counting down. What did you eat the day before surgery. Was it just Clear liquids or did you still have the Protein drinks. Confused about that. CAT

Glad to hear it went so well Razz.....I'm getting banded Monday.....counting down. What did you eat the day before surgery. Was it just Clear Liquids or did you still have the Protein Drinks. Confused about that. CAT

For me it was still the Protein drinks the day before surgery and now for 5 days post-op is is clear liquids only.

I'm sure there are alot of others out there that feel the same as me, but you people on here have been a tremendous help to me the last 4 months. I joined after my first weight in back in April..I was required to do the 3 month diet before surgery. My surgery date is fast approaching, only 5 more days!! I had looked forward to this forever, and tried to schedule it around my work schedule..so after approval I had 5 weeks to wait and it seemed like it would never pass..but here it is and I am scared to death. I've read the articles, watched a live procedure on youtube but I dont think anything helps with the nerves! I also have never had any kind of surgery either, so its all a first for me. I cant thank all of you enough for all of the support that you have given me. I have been overweight most of my life and I never thought I would find a "family" that would support me like some of you have. I never have to lie about my weight, my struggles or disappointments..and everyone is just as excited as me for my accomplishments. I want to wish everyone going in this week good luck and I hope you have a safe and smooth surgery..for all of those recovering I hope the days continue to get better for you! Also, if anyone wants to add me, I'd love to keep in touch with everyone..my computers VERY slow and it takes forever to load the pages, so please add me!!

Sherry :)

I was banded in Tijuana MX on July 18. I live in MN, so this was my "vacation" this year. My BMI is 33%, and I successfully lost 10 pounds prior to July 18. I've been carefully following the clear liquid regimen since July 18, and walking every day (at least an hour, sometimes more, although often slowly due to some pain.) I jumped on the scale this morning hoping to see miracles, and was greated by a GAIN of half a pound. How can that be? It strikes me as a very cruel joke to pay all that money (I am self-pay), travel to Mexico. endure a week of pain, and eat nothing, and end of gaining a pound! Any advice? Am I somehow retaining fluids or is it swelling from the surgery site? Am I drinking too much liquid, or the wrong kinds? What could cause this awful result? I'm feeling mighty frustrated right now, and second-guessing my decision. Maybe lap band isn't for me afterall, OR my body is just going to be exceedingly stubborn about this!?!?!?!

HELP?

Polly

Welcome! Hopefully they can use the same scars from your GB surgery....I'd ask for sure if you haven't! :)

Hi there! Just wanted to add that I have a 7/30 date. I had to have my gallbladder removed last month, so they monitored my weight and since I have gained 1 lb. they want me to do the preop shakes--2 a day with a sensible meal.

I am excited and nervous.

Thanks for listening!

April

I'm no expert by any means, but I have had a lot of surgeries in my life and it is my experience that the drugs combined with the IV fluids you receive during and after surgery cause you to retain quite a bit of Water. I'd say you are doing very well less than a week out from surgery to be sitting at only a half pound gain. (I hope I'm that lucky!) Relax...this is normal. :rolleyes:

I was banded in Tijuana MX on July 18. I live in MN, so this was my "vacation" this year. My BMI is 33%, and I successfully lost 10 pounds prior to July 18. I've been carefully following the clear liquid regimen since July 18, and walking every day (at least an hour, sometimes more, although often slowly due to some pain.) I jumped on the scale this morning hoping to see miracles, and was greated by a GAIN of half a pound. How can that be? It strikes me as a very cruel joke to pay all that money (I am self-pay), travel to Mexico. endure a week of pain, and eat nothing, and end of gaining a pound! Any advice? Am I somehow retaining fluids or is it swelling from the surgery site? Am I drinking too much liquid, or the wrong kinds? What could cause this awful result? I'm feeling mighty frustrated right now, and second-guessing my decision. Maybe lap band isn't for me afterall, OR my body is just going to be exceedingly stubborn about this!?!?!?!

HELP?

Polly

Hey Brandiabarnes,

Welcome to the site. I hope that you have taken time to go back through all 45 pages and take a look at all the wonderful foks having bands done in July. I had my banding done on the 7th of July and now on mushie foods. I had a week of liquid diet to prepare for the procedure. The pre diet is to reduce your liver when going laproscopically. I am now about 90% back to "Nornal" since having teh procedure. I had a hernia repair too. The first 7-10 days are ok, but can be rough with gas pains, hfealing pains, hunger pangs, and other things, but all in all, I think that you will find most of us on this site to have handled it pretty well. Let mw know if you need any other information or just post, there are plenty of others on here that can help you.

Lisa

Hi, I am having my surgery on Tuesday. When is yours? Have you done the pre op diet...

Polly,

Please don't fret about the 1 pound up. It is definately the air they pump into you for surgery, mixed with the IV and other medicines that they keep running in you the whole hospital stay. I was up a couple of pounds when I got home, too. Keep drinking the Water and getting your liquids in. The weight will come off, but more importantly than that, you will start to geel back to normal shortly. Give it 10 days or so, and don't rush it. Days 7, 8, and 9 where rough for me. I was wondering if I would request a removal of the band on my first recheck!!!! What you are feeling is normal, no biggie. As soon as I questioned "what have I done?", I started feeling better each day after. When you can get a little more nourishment in, Protein and such, you will find the weight coming off. Concentrate on healing for this next week and it will get better and you will feel better. Oh, and by the way, we have a July banders posting going on in the post surgery section also, you can go read some post surgery stories over there.

Lisa - lisabooth1968@hotmail.com if you need anything.

HELP?

Polly

Welcome! Hopefully they can use the same scars from your GB surgery....I'd ask for sure if you haven't! :)

Thanks. My doc is pretty cool. I think he would be pretty cool about that, I actually assumed that he would do that anyway. He had to make a larger than normal incision for my gallbladder because apparently my gallbladder was so big and inflamed he couldn't understand how I was actually not in any pain and standing up straight. He had a wrestling match with my gallbladder, but the gallbladder lost in the end. LOL. Anyway, I probably shouldn't assume.

Thanks again for the advice! :)

Ugh, the shoulder pain after my gallbladder surgery was the worst! The anesthesiologist warned me about it. Actually joked to tell me she promised they didn't drop me while I was asleep. lol! It's from the anesthesia working its way out, but man, it was the most painful. When it would hit, I would tense up completely making everything hurt. Hope it eases up quickly!

i am getting banded on july 28th (in 4 days). i'm in the middle of the 7 day liquid diet. i'm having a little bit of a rough time with it, but since i've been approved for surgery a few weeks ago i've lost about 21 pounds. :) it's making me excited for the surgery. i do not have a high BMI so i'm already seeing the results in how tight my pants are. i can't wait until the next 2 1/2 weeks are over so i can at least eat some pureed foods! haha!!