Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was supposed to have a surgery on Thursday the 27th of May. They had to call off the surgery. The anesthesiologist tried to force a tube that was too large down my vocal cords to have the machine breathe for me while I was sedated:cursing:. I literally was not breathing for a little over 2 minutes. :thumbup: They place a mask over my face to take me out of the paralysis stage, but were not sure if the air got into my stomach as well as my lungs, because if so then all of the bile and other acidic juices, and moisture would have dire consequences. :smile: My surgeon had to come and rescue her, as well as myself I ended up in their ISCU which it a more critical part of the regular ICU. I stayed in ISCU for over nine hours while being monitored every 30-60 minutes and taking continual vital sign checks and blood pressure reading. I also had to perform numerous breathing and lung tests. Needles to say I have to be rescheduled within the next 2weeks after the scarring from my throat heals and the blood is totally gone from my stomach from where she tried to force the tube. I have to cough up the blood!!! :tt2: If I'm a general anesthesiologist, and the tube is not going in within the first 30 - 45 seconds then I'm getting a scope to go in or am going to get the attention of the surgeon. I'm not going to try to force the tube while leaving the patient without oxygen for over 2 minutes. Needles to say I wont be using her for the upcoming surgery. But GOD was with me and placed other capable people around me. I know she didn't intentionally try to hurt me but she should have let go of her pride and call for help. I could have ended up a vegetable ... or worse!! Praise GOD for his mercies!!

Hi Everyone! I got banded yesterday (June 8) and am home resting. It went very well--the gas has only begun to rear its ugly head this afternoon--I tought I was going to get away with not getting the pain! Ha...I was wrong. I have had nothing but ice chips, a cup of tea, and some s.f. Jello since the banding. Not hungy, either. Good Luck to all of us!!!

I will get banded on June 14th in Houston.

I'm on the 28th in Houston!! Who's ur doc?

I was supposed to have a surgery on Thursday the 27th of May. They had to call off the surgery. The anesthesiologist tried to force a tube that was too large down my vocal cords to have the machine breathe for me while I was sedated:cursing:. I literally was not breathing for a little over 2 minutes. :thumbup: They place a mask over my face to take me out of the paralysis stage, but were not sure if the air got into my stomach as well as my lungs, because if so then all of the bile and other acidic juices, and moisture would have dire consequences. :smile: My surgeon had to come and rescue her, as well as myself I ended up in their ISCU which it a more critical part of the regular ICU. I stayed in ISCU for over nine hours while being monitored every 30-60 minutes and taking continual vital sign checks and blood pressure reading. I also had to perform numerous breathing and lung tests. Needles to say I have to be rescheduled within the next 2weeks after the scarring from my throat heals and the blood is totally gone from my stomach from where she tried to force the tube. I have to cough up the blood!!! :thumbup: If I'm a general anesthesiologist, and the tube is not going in within the first 30 - 45 seconds then I'm getting a scope to go in or am going to get the attention of the surgeon. I'm not going to try to force the tube while leaving the patient without oxygen for over 2 minutes. Needles to say I wont be using her for the upcoming surgery. But GOD was with me and placed other capable people around me. I know she didn't intentionally try to hurt me but she should have let go of her pride and call for help. I could have ended up a vegetable ... or worse!! Praise GOD for his mercies!!

I'm so gald God was with you. :tt2: That's scary stuff.

We will pray that your surgeon will supervise the next anestiologist as this should never had happened.

God Bless you,

CarolD

Hi Everyone! I got banded yesterday (June 8) and am home resting. It went very well--the gas has only begun to rear its ugly head this afternoon--I tought I was going to get away with not getting the pain! Ha...I was wrong. I have had nothing but ice chips, a cup of tea, and some s.f. Jello since the banding. Not hungy, either. Good Luck to all of us!!!

Hi Redhead,

The gas is the nastiest part of post-op. It should subside in a couple days. :thumbup: Get some rest and take some pain meds. Let us know how you're feeling.

I'll say a prayer for you!! Hang in there!!

CarolD

:thumbup:Hi Im from Perth Australia and when I read your messages am not quite sure what I am doing.

I was banded on June 2nd and it has been fine so far with shoulder tip pain and feeling tired at the end of the day.

I have been following the book given to me by the surgeon re Lap bands and that is all I have done so far.

A week of fluids initially clear and now thicker things like Soups and yogurt seem to go down well.

It is a bit less tight than it was a week ago as I have not had a fill.Is that correct?

Any advice would be good.

Also how long did people have off work as I am a nurse and am due to go back this Sunday 11 days post op?:smile:

:smile:Hi Im from Perth Australia and when I read your messages am not quite sure what I am doing.

I was banded on June 2nd and it has been fine so far with shoulder tip pain and feeling tired at the end of the day.

I have been following the book given to me by the surgeon re Lap bands and that is all I have done so far.

A week of fluids initially clear and now thicker things like Soups and yogurt seem to go down well.

It is a bit less tight than it was a week ago as I have not had a fill.Is that correct?

Any advice would be good.

Also how long did people have off work as I am a nurse and am due to go back this Sunday 11 days post op?:tt2:

Hi Gwenyth,

Welcome!!! :thumbup: You made the big step and had the surgery, to "Help" you. Learn everything you can so you will succeed the long fight ahead !!If you're following what the Dr. and Nutritionist you'll do fine. I've seen so many different versions of Post-Op diets from each person on the forum. Are you drinking Protein Shakes?

Read the different forums, Like Most Frequently Asked Questions. This site covers almost everything you could think of and stuff you never thought of!!

No question is stupid, so ask away.

I went back several pages on many different forums and sucked up as much info as I could.

Good Luck on your new Journey,

CarolD7771:smile2:

I'm getting banded on June 30th. :thumbup:

My surgery is today! I'm scheduled for 9am, need to be the hospital at 730am. I have been awake since 4am - did not sleep well last night. Really anxious and excited at the same time, hoping I have made the right decision.

New to the forums - I go for surgery June 16th (in 6 days)! I'm nervous because this is my first surgery.

Had my surgery done yesterday morning :laugh:and am feeling much better tonight. The surgery went nice and smooth woke up from the surgery and was so thirsty then became so hungry, when I told my nurse she looked at me like I was crazy and said "I never hear of hunger after just having the lap-band surgery" But I was head hungry and pretty loopy from all the medication they gave me.

Today I had a realaxing day not much pain but am on pain meds so It's making things easier. Today all I had to eat was one Protein Shake (yummy Atkins advantage chocolate) 2 cups of ckn broth, 1 SF fudgescicle, 1 SF ice pop, then I had some SF Jello must of ate it way to fast because I got that stuck feeling for almost 2 hours- the pain was pretty intense....now I know to eat (even if it's jello) slow.... slow and slower. So so far so good. I just wish that every other commercial on TV wasn't a food commercial since food is my drug of choice.... and I have to get over that I may never be able to eat that stuff again. This was the best decision I've ever made...start of a new adventure...and a new life...good luck all you upcoming June bandsters!!!!:(

Hugs,

Samantha

Congrats Samantha!!!

I will take your advice and relish it for the near future use. "note to self....even Jello can get stuck...eat slow, slower and more slowly!!" GOT IT

Thanks, keep us posted

New to the forums - I go for surgery June 16th (in 6 days)! I'm nervous because this is my first surgery.

Welcome nc1,

I'm being banded the 16th too. :frown: We'll be band twins!! :( It's very uncomfortable :crying: for a few days but better everyday after that. Let us know how it goes when you're able.

Good Luck and God Bless,

CarolD :eek:

my surgery is tomorrow morning at 8am. i'm just now starting to get a little nervous. i'm sure of my decision to have the surgery, just dreading the recovery. very excited though :( good luck to all my fellow june 11th bandsters!