Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey February 2010 Bandsters!

#1. February 15, 2010

#2. Nevada

#3. Dr. Atkinson, North Vista Hospital

#4. Insurance paid part, I paid about $3200 out of

pocket

#5. 31 and I'm 5'7

#6. Okay so I have a story for this one. At my heaviest

I was 305, I did my pre-op diet and went down to

279, I am now almost 2 weeks post-op and I'm 257.

#7. I tried too many times to lose weight on my own..

I never had a real problem losing the weight I had a

problem keeping it off!

I'm really happy that I found this blog and I Hope to keep in touch with people that are going through the same experiences as me....

#7. I have so much support all around me. My husband

is amazing! My mom and grandpa are great...

Friends are wonderful, two of them were recently

banded as well.

#8. I really have no concerns or questions at this time,

all seems to be going well so far

Edited by hunkin702
added some more information

You are NOT alone. I had those feelings on Day 3. As if AIR was no longer available to me. In a panic mode.

I'm still afraid to try eating. Only living on Protein Shakes and very soft foods - i.e. yogurt. Don't want to feel "stuck" or vomit.

When I have those feelings, I look at these forums. So many others have been successful. If they can do it, SO CAN WE. Just have to be patient and go slow. In the meantime, we do have "air" and food to keep us alive. Look at the photos section. See all the success.

Hope this helps you.

Joyce in KC

I completely understand what you are goin through. I seemed to have more pain than any of the other patients on the unit that had the banding, or any of the other people i know. Some people were talking about being back to work in a week, I on the other hand am 8 days post op, still feeling incision pain and just generally wiped out, and had my first meltdown yesterday. Wondering what I did to myself, wishing i hadn't done it, crying from the stress of it all. Ugh! But today I woke up with a little less pain and a lot more clarity. I just had to remind myself that I couldnt do this on my own. I was out of control and needed an intervention. I made a decision, its done and I had to start dealing with it. It has been a better day and it definitely gets easier with each day that passes. Hang in there!:biggrin:

I was banded on the 24th of Feb. The only real problem that I can honestly say is the fact that I caught a really bad head cold. This probally occurred in the OR, as it is usually kind of cold in there. I was so congested to the point that i could not sleep.

I was given the single incision banding. i have literally no pain tht i can say was unbearable. the pain that i do have is as if i did about 20 sit ups-muscle pain. The evening after the surgery i walked around the hospital floor twice. Of course the gassy feeling was there but....

My current weight before banding was at 250. i am from NYC. I was banded at Methodist hospital-self pay the staff was really great. After the surgery, while in recovery the entire team visited me to tell me what a great job I did. overall, I HAD A GOOD EXPIERENCE. :biggrin: As FOR MY NEW DIET ROUTINE, i am following this to the max. if the hungry monster tries to attack, he will need to kiss his own as.. good bye. I am not in the mood to visit any emergency room for a peice of meat to be dislodged from my gut:drool: and trying to throw up on the way to the hospital. So i am doing the juice Water, clear liquid thing.

Please excuse the improper caps.

I applaud you. It's good to hear that fewer people are having complications. my surgery went pretty well also. Yay! February Bandits.

:biggrin:

i was banded yesterday before noon. they kept me overnight (standard procedure at a military hospital). every staff member was very friendly, and an absolute pleasure. im home today and incredibly sore. its not gas, its my incisions. they hurt so freaking bad. also, for some reason my surgeon told me that my band is very snug. he didnt put a fill in. its just...really tight on my stomach. so i unintentionally have a lot of restriction already. all liquids i swallow sit in my pouch and then trickle thru the stoma. i can feel it. makes me wonder how my transition to mushies will go.

anyway, im at the point now where im wondering just what in the heck i did to myself. the pain is really bad.

It'll pass. Be strong and hang in there. You made the right decision. Keep walking as much as possible and take the meds as needed. This is just a temporary road block on your journey to success.

BTW: I'm already filled too.

I started with fish, tuna and Beans - very small bites and chewed more than I thought I had to. I just made beef stew - slow cooked the beef all day and it fell apart. Kinda scared me to eat it but again I took small bites, etc... Heated it up for lunch today and after one bite I knew it was too tough and I stopped - I was a chicken :biggrin:

Was this in the third week when you started these food items?

Yes - I was answering a question and forgot to quote it....it was a little confusing - Sorry.

#1. Surgery date? 11 Feb 2010

#2. State you live in? Israel

#3. Doctor/Surgery Center? Dr Subchi Adu Abeid

#4. Insurance or self pay? self pay

#5. Age and height 44, 5''4

#6. Current weight and goal weight?starting weight = 227, current weight = 217, goal weight = 140

#7. What was your deciding factor for having this surgery? i want to live!

#7. Do you have the support of family and friends? yes

Were you afraid of your band slipping or becoming ill? How are you doing now--3/01/10?? Thanks.

#1. Surgery date? February 20th.

#2. State you live in? Washington

#3. Doctor/Surgery Center?Dr. Corvala, Angeles Hospital - Tijuana

#4. Insurance or self pay? Self Pay

#5. Age and height 42, 5'2

#6. Current weight and goal weight? 235 goal is 135

#7. What was your deciding factor for having this surgery? Living long enough to watch my daughter grow up.

#7. Do you have the support of family and friends? YES!!

#8. Concerns and questions? None.

.......................and anything else you would like to add:smile:

Were you afraid of your band slipping or becoming ill? How are you doing now--3/01/10?? Thanks.

Why would I be afraid - these were my doctors orders.

Besides the lengthy shoulder pain I'm great :w00t:

She said that she did this in the third week. That's the week of soft foods.

I had surgery on the 11th of Feb... 6 days of Clear Liquids and Protein Shakes followed by thcker Soups, yogurt, cottage cheese and scrambled eggs by day 12 i could manage salad and chicken!

Day 13 i went for a fill...2cc. After the fill i was back on liquids for 24 hours, soft foods for another 24 and then back to regular food, eaten slowly and carefully.

I'm eating far less, but still a fair amount... yesterday i had scrambled egg, cottage cheese with 3 crackers, a banana, 5 grapes(yes, i counted!), a bowl of lentil and vegetable Soup, come rice crisps as a snack and a slice of salami which nearly killed me!

everything excluding the salami went down happily...the salami was the cause of extreme pain...i felt like i was having a heart attack!

weight.png

i just dont know how much is too much, Calorically i probably consumed less than 1500 calories, which i believe is an appropriate amount..

what are you all eating???

Edited by iamhealthy

I am heading for the hospital to get banded in about 3 hours.

I wanted to thank all of you for posting about your experiences with surgery. It's put my mind at ease and I am not nervous at all.

I am heading for the hospital to get banded in about 3 hours.

I wanted to thank all of you for posting about your experiences with surgery. It's put my mind at ease and I am not nervous at all.

Good Luck!

Today Is 1 Month since I was banded, and feeling good. I'm on week 2 of soft foods, and the scale was slowed down. :thumbup:

But I saw the women at my Dr's office yesterday and went over my diet and what I should eat and not eat. So that should help, since My Dr does not do any fills for a full 3 months. I also got clearence to start working out , biking ,wii fit and swimming, taking it slow...:thumbup: