Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any January 2010 Bandsters????

Congrats Jennifer! I am so glad that your surgery went good. I hope that your day goes good with teaching your class. Take it slow and you will be back to yourself in no time!:thumbup:

Celia

So what are ya'll finding the hardest lifestyle adjustment is so far?

My most difficult change in habit is the no eating and drinking together. VERY difficult habit to break for me. I'm so accustomed to taking a long drink of something after I'm done eating. It's really driving me bonkers. LOL!

My most difficult change in habit is the no eating and drinking together. VERY difficult habit to break for me. I'm so accustomed to taking a long drink of something after I'm done eating. It's really driving me bonkers. LOL!

I totally agree! My husband has been trying to do the no drinking with me, which is really sweet, but he can't do it. I hate that it means no spicy-spicy food, but it will all be worth it!

Celia

7 days post-op and I am feeling great today. I had a difficult time at first but that has now 'passed'. I also had to sleep in my easy chair for the first 4 days home because it was painful to sleep on my side and sleeping on by back makes an old disc injury hurt.

Now that the bloated feeling is gone, I am noticing my hunger more. So far I can control it since I get full so fast. I am lucky that I can stay off work a couple of weeks to recover. I was expecting to bounce back much faster. I think my age and other health issues probably made my recovery slower, but also underlines how necessary this was for me.

I am anxious for my first official post-surgical weight. I don't trust my scales here at home and have not felt good enough to drive the the YMCA just to weigh in. I think I have lost quite a bit though. I go back to my surgeon on Friday so should have the official number then!

I think the no drinking with eating will be a little hard a first because I will have been on straight liquids for 6 weeks once I move on to the pureed/mushies and I have been so used to having something to drink with me at all times!

If you go out to eat you could always not order a drink to help with the temptation but if something were to have a little trouble getting down you would want a drink so you could have a sip to help wash it down.

I asked my nutritionist/dietitian if I were eating something spicy/hot if it would be OK to have a sip of Water if I needed it and she said it would be but just not to take big drinks.

This journey is going to be interesting...My bf had it done last June so I am always asking her questions.

My most difficult adjustment is that I can't drink a lot at one time. I could easily drink a 20-oz bottle of Water (or soft drink in the day) within just a few minutes. Now it seems to take me forever to drink that much!

I had my first post-op appointment with the surgeon today. I am SO happy. Since my 12/30/09 pre-op appointment, I have lost 22 pounds. I was banded on 1/14/10. I am thrilled!!!!

Well done Lisa.

I still drink while eating, but I've not had my fill yet, so I might not be able to do it then.

Isopure Blue Raspberry is my favorite. I buy it by the case. The first week I froze it in ice cube trays. Now I am able to drink a bit more. Just have to make sure you shake it up good!

You know, I thought the no drinking while eating thing would be the hardest and to be honest...if I need a sip here or there as I'm eating I take it and have not noticed any problems. Of course I won't overdo it, but a sip here or there to help the food go down...seems fine so far.

What I have found difficult is the timing of my vitamins/minerals. I have to take Calcium with D but you can't take that within 3 hours of your multi Vitamin. I take both 2x per day. So it goes something like this...AM before Breakfast Calcium, lunch time I take 1st multi...then dinner I take the second multi...then before bed I take the calcium again. I guess now that I wrote it down it doesn't sound very difficult, but practically as I'm going through my hectic day...it's hard to remember. :bored:

I am very lucky as I am on day 17 and I am not hungry really ever. My meals of refried Beans, pureed chicken breast, cottage cheese etc...really keep me full. The 1st week there was a day or two that I was very hungry...then I transitioned onto pureed/mushies...and it went away. I am logging all of my intake on thedailyplate.com so I can go back and reference and document this whole crazy journey and if I have any pitfalls it will be there in black and white to tell me what i did wrong (or right!)

Hope everyone is doing well. Take care!

Claricey :unsure:

I am now 4 days post op and today is the first day I have felt good. I am not hungry, but I constantly sip Water, juice, or a shake. I did have three TBLS of coffee this morning and it made my mouth dry. When all the gas pains go away I think I will feel much better. Love to compare experiences Thanks

I've had my first fill already, and I'm now allowed to eat solids. NOT Drinking Water during meals has been the hardest thing for me. I was so used to drinking lots of Water while eating, and this is where I get my daily 8-glass requirement.

I guess I learned the hard way, because I've been down with fever and headache the past few days. I found out that since I've stopped drinking water during meals, I wasn't getting any water in between meals. I think I only drank 2 glasses each day since I started eating solids. I got dehydrated, fever going up to the 100s, and really bad headaches. My doctor just told me to drink lots of water....which I did....in between meals of course......and I got better at once.

Now I would need to have a bottle (or two) of water with me everywhere I go. I can't believe how important water is.

I've had my first fill already, and I'm now allowed to eat solids. NOT Drinking Water during meals has been the hardest thing for me. I was so used to drinking lots of Water while eating, and this is where I get my daily 8-glass requirement.

I guess I learned the hard way, because I've been down with fever and headache the past few days. I found out that since I've stopped drinking water during meals, I wasn't getting any water in between meals. I think I only drank 2 glasses each day since I started eating solids. I got dehydrated, fever going up to the 100s, and really bad headaches. My doctor just told me to drink lots of water....which I did....in between meals of course......and I got better at once.

Now I would need to have a bottle (or two) of water with me everywhere I go. I can't believe how important water is.

Be careful Kikoman! Hate to hear you were down and out for a bit. But glad you're back up and know better how to take care of your self.

I had my surgery on Jan 2th, 2010. I have so far lost 19.9 lbs. and feel great. I go for my fist doctor appointment on Feb8th. and don't know if I have a fill or not. I'm at that liquid stage and have trouble finding things I can eat, but find help from reading the blogs in here.

My energy level and my legs and ankles are feeling a lot better. I would like to stay in touch in here as I travel this journey that I have started.

weight.png

Hi Gang...

Glad to see everyones experiences here.. I am two days Post Op.. the belly is HUGE!!!!!! when does that go down:):unsure:

I have zero hunger.. zero.....sipping liquids non stop.. had some Soup today.. I cannot believe how full I got on just a little bit.. I think that may have more to do with the bloating though....as soon as the bloating goes down I will be starting Protein shakes...

Question for everyone: when did you first step on the scale..how soon after surgery did you start noticing a pound or two going away.... I think I still have the IV liquids in me or something...

Also, major bonus.. have not taken the heartburn medicine once since surgery and hyrnia repair.. I may be CURED!!!!!!

Keep posting everyone.. I am finding inspiration in everyone's weightloss.. I have never lost weight too quickly before and I am hoping this is a good kick start...I do find I still have to rest a lot... I walk, rest, walk, rest...

Keep posting everyone...

Jennifer