Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

September 2009 Band Date

Just a subject that I see coming up a lot and I wondered how others felt. yes my only holds 4cc. I won't need a fill for awhile. My daughter has had the same size band for over a year and has only had one fill, .4cc. She has lost 95lbs.

I don't know yet and may not for years if this is a good thing or not. Since they don't do these small bands any more, I am guessing there are good reasons for that. I see lots of comments about bandster hell, so it just make me wonder.

I want my mother to get the surgery as well but she is now hesitating. She's been having a few medical problems now and I don't think that she will. That is very strange though. I have never heard of one so small. Does the doc says its that size for a reason. It may just to milk money out of us larger bands, especially since we go to doc so often.

I want my mother to get the surgery as well but she is now hesitating. She's been having a few medical problems now and I don't think that she will. That is very strange though. I have never heard of one so small. Does the doc says its that size for a reason. It may just to milk money out of us larger bands, especially since we go to doc so often.

I asked my doctor specifically about the size before the surgery. He said that he determines the size based on the size of the stomach. Apparently, my daughter and I have the same size stomach because we both have the small 4cc band. The reason I asked him is because another patient of his whom I know, has a 10cc band and has had a quite a bit more trouble achieving restriction. I asked about it because I wanted to know if this is something the patient chose or if it is something else. I felt that he answered honestly.

I do have to say that it has crossed my mind, what you said about the money thing. I am skeptical of Doctors and I generally stay away from them, so yes it did cross my mind. In the case of this particular Dr. I do not think it is so. Most of his patients travel to use him, so he isn't going to make additional money on them anyway.

Many medical problems are from obesity so tell your Mom she can do nothing but get healthier by losing weight. When it comes down to it, she needs to make the choice. When my daughter said she was going to do it, I was shocked to say the least. I did not know that she was 100lbs overweight. I guess I was just hanging out in denial. Then I could not figure out why someone would want to spend that kind of money. Well two years later, here I am 6 weeks post op and so so glad I did it. She never said a word to me, I just knew one day that I was supposed to do it. I called to inquire about it because I am a type 1 diabetic and I needed to know if I was even a candidate. I found out I was even more of a candidate, and I was approved before I could blink. Best of luck to you and your Mom.

Wanted to post quickly before I head to work. Still holding at 227 which is frustrating because I have been on liquids all week from my fill. The only thing I can think of is when I am on liquids I only get about 800 calories and maybe my body is in starvtion mode and not letting go of any weight, so now that I'm back on foods and getting in more calories maybe it will start to move again. I hope. I've been exercising, so that is definetly not the problem. Well hope everyone has a wonderful weekend. Take care.

Amanda are you weight training at all - you may be gaining back muscle. Remember how I was saying I lost a crazy amount of weight that made no sense from the Protein diet? It was like a lb a day and the math didn't work out - well that is because I lost muscle mass - my chiro confirmed it and told me I better hit the weights and not even weight for riding to build the muscles back. So maybe that is it.

I read here that the 4cc is the older version of the Lapband don't know how true it is.

I read here that the 4cc is the older version of the Lapband don't know how true it is.

It is the older version. They say that the newer ones are better for long term life. My original question was that I wondered how happy people will be with the new one considering how many fills they seem to need to get the proper restriction. I guess it doesn't matter anyway, since it is what it is. I am happy with the smaller one, no bandster hell, no problems. I will need to wait a few years to compare though.

I guess how quickly you get to restriction depends on your doctor too - w/ the 10cc band they put me right up to 5.5 cc's (which was too much for me so I ended up at 4.7 so that would be like a 1cc fill for you percentage wise.

It will be hard for people to compare everyone's experiences are relative.

My band just isn't working. :scared2: I'm not losing any weight. Well this week. I need to lose. I need to be 250 by monday. I am 253 and holding firm. I'm so hungry all the time that I don't know what to do. Coloradomom I really hope mine will kick in soon. I might have to schedule an appt early.... I think I can I think I can I think I can.

Definitely try to get in for another fill early! You should not be hungry all the time. It is a pain, all this waiting and back and forth stuff. Hope it starts to work for you!

Amanda are you weight training at all - you may be gaining back muscle. Remember how I was saying I lost a crazy amount of weight that made no sense from the Protein diet? It was like a lb a day and the math didn't work out - well that is because I lost muscle mass - my chiro confirmed it and told me I better hit the weights and not even weight for riding to build the muscles back. So maybe that is it.

Yeah I am weight training abit by doing circuit training with workout videos. Today though the scale finally budged and I weighed 224. So I'm happy about that. Hope all is well.

Yea things are good. I've realized I lost a lot of muscle so trying to get it back. and i'm trying to figure out how to eat now that i have restriction - i've had about 5 pbs non longer than 20 mins or anything but it seems behavioral from talking to various people.

HEY EVERYONE! I havent been on here in quite a while! I wanted to check in and see how everyone was doing and see if I was on track with everyone else. Banded 9/2/09 and Ive lost a total of 37 pounds. For some reason I feel like im getting no where..... I know that sounds sssooo silly when I say it out loud. I think its bc my losing has come to a hault. I was working out sssssooo hard last week and I only lost 2 pounds as compaired to my be able to lose 5 pounds a week and the week before only 1 pound. What does everyone this about this... r u all going through the same thing?

HEY EVERYONE! I havent been on here in quite a while! I wanted to check in and see how everyone was doing and see if I was on track with everyone else. Banded 9/2/09 and Ive lost a total of 37 pounds. For some reason I feel like im getting no where..... I know that sounds sssooo silly when I say it out loud. I think its bc my losing has come to a hault. I was working out sssssooo hard last week and I only lost 2 pounds as compaired to my be able to lose 5 pounds a week and the week before only 1 pound. What does everyone this about this... r u all going through the same thing?

One pound a week is normal after the first few weeks. You will lose slower so be grateful you are still losing and not just staying still. I lost a pound again this week and feel good about it. You are thinking with the former dieting mind. If I can't lose a lot, I must be screwing up, or the diet is not working. This is a life style change and it isn't like the old diets. Hang in there you are doing great!!!:)

I agree. 1-2 lbs a week is great. That is what I have been losing the last few weeks. Although last week I lost 4 but I did get a fill as well. Hope all is well.

hi,

well since my fill I lost 4 pounds and then nothing. i am at a stand still. It's soo frustrating. No, I didn't go back for another fill. I've just try to con't to do what I am doing. I am eating more meat instead of veggies and carbs. It helps to with the hunger but I think well maybe its too much meat and its taking away from the food. ugh I just want 249 like yesterday.

hi,

well since my fill I lost 4 pounds and then nothing. i am at a stand still. It's soo frustrating. No, I didn't go back for another fill. I've just try to con't to do what I am doing. I am eating more meat instead of veggies and carbs. It helps to with the hunger but I think well maybe its too much meat and its taking away from the food. ugh I just want 249 like yesterday.

So it sounds like you are weighing every day!! I can not do that. It is extremely frustruating to me. I pick one day each week and weigh on that day. We have many fluctuations and especially as women. I can go up and down 3 or 4 lbs. from day to day. If I weigh one day a week and write down what I have accomplished, it helps me a lot. :thumbup:

I had my surger 9/23/09

I had my first fill on 10/27.. 4cc

I also feel hungry all the time! I have lost 20lbs since I was banded but that weight loss happened during the 2wks after surgery. Needless to say that I am sad I don't know what to do to get this band to work

I had my surger 9/23/09

I had my first fill on 10/27.. 4cc

I also feel hungry all the time! I have lost 20lbs since I was banded but that weight loss happened during the 2wks after surgery. Needless to say that I am sad I don't know what to do to get this band to work

Wow, I sure wish I could have had my first fill as quickly as you and that it would have been 4cc....................

I had my surgery on 9/9/09 and I couldn't have my first fill til October21st................and only 1cc, I feel NO restriction at all. I haven't lost anymore weight, all the weight I did lose I lost in the first 2wks post op. Next fill isn't til December 2, i guess we'll see..........I have a 10CC band