Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Fill Experiences For The Mayo BANDitos

That was quite an experience let me tell you. My doctor was an hour & a half late, but: he's a sweetheart.

I got to see the pictures of my stomach with the band around it, very trippy, Anyway, I was not numbed, and it took him 3 pokes to find the port, as I still have massive swelling because of the location, my bra sits right on it in certain positions, so I have 2 chunks of floating fat around the port site. And I felt the band inflate.

I have a 10cc band. I had 1cc put in during surgery, and I was filled with .8 cc's today.

It's funny I was STARVING before the fill, and now it's 4 hours later and I have a slight appitite.

Did anyone else get REALLY light headed & nausious after your fill. I almost passed out on the train coming home, but just drank some Water (doesn't help that it was 88 degrees with a billion percent humidity here in NYC today) SO it's official, out of bandster hell and filled! :thumbdown:

I was banded May 12th and had my first fill on June 18th. I asked my doc's office how much they put in, but they said they don't want people fixated on the amounts, so they basically didn't tell me.

They did tell me that they put "some" Fluid in during surgery, and when I had this first fill, I think it must have been a small amount, because I don't feel much difference. I was on liquids for 24 hrs afterwards, and the following day when I could eat again, I noticed a slight difference in the length of time I was satisfied after eating.

Now, it's a week later, and I feel hungry every few hours :thumbdown: I e-mailed my doctor and he replied saying that sometimes it takes 2 weeks for the fill to "settle." I've also read some things like that on this website, but it seems weird to me.

Anyway- my next appt is not for a month, so I hope this fill kicks in- otherwise I'll be white knuckling it until then! Or maybe next week I'll try calling the doc about it again. I live in a different city so I have to plan out my appointments pretty well in advance.

I am losing a bit here and there, but I think it'll be much easier once I'm filled more. It's hard to not eat more than the prescribed portion sizes, but I worry about stretching the pouch or having a slip, so I try to stay within the guidelines. . .

Anyone have a fill, but then feel the effects after a week or more?

Lisa

Now, it's a week later, and I feel hungry every few hours :) I e-mailed my doctor and he replied saying that sometimes it takes 2 weeks for the fill to "settle." I've also read some things like that on this website, but it seems weird to me.

I was told that if I don't have any restriction in 2 weeks to call him and he'll do another fill.. otherwise I too see him in a month, but so far, I have restriction and hardly an appitite. I got no special instructions on what to eat yesterday I just took what everyone else said and had some really soft Pasta last night, and I really haven't eaten today, I'm just not hungry, tried to eat some sugar free mousse before, and got horribly nausious after a few spoonfuls.

Hi all, I would looove to hear some input from you because it seems like my first fill was alot larger that most other people. I had the surgery on May 18th and got my first fill yesterday, June 28. It was using floroscopy, so I could see the barium liquid go through (pretty cool!). The nurse put in 9cc saying that the average first fill is 7cc. She said I needed more because of my body shape and age. They didn't put in any liquid at the time of the surgery and I have a 12cc band. I felt fine when I left the hospital, but within a 1/2 hour, was starting to feel some pain and started getting nauseous. When I tried to take my pills last night, I cut it up in quarters but even still, was in so much pain. Nothing came up though. Its now more than 24 hours later and while I feel better than I did yesterday, I can only take a couple of sips of liquid at a time. I was having juice but was feeling really weak, so am having Worldwild Pure Protein Drinks. It is staying down, but I am worried when I go to work tomorrow. I'm working at a summer camp and we are literally walking from 8-5. I'm afraid I will be super low energy tomorrow because I can't get in enough calories.

Did anyone else have a really big fill?

Had my first fill about 30 minutes ago! My band holds 9cc. I had 1cc from surgery and he added 2cc today, so I'm at 3cc now. We'll see how it works! I go back July 23rd for my second fill!

Hope everyone is doing well!

I'm feeling pretty good! I was really hungry this morning before I went and I just had some Soup, and only could eat about 3 oz of it and felt FULL! I know this is common right after, so I'm curious to see how I feel in a couple days. The fill didn't hurt one bit, the doc numbed me up first and I couldn't feel anything!

Have you had a fill yet? If not, when do you go?

That is great to hear !

I have my first fill next Tuesday. However, my dr. doesn't numb before, but I am going to ask him for some Lidocaine and see if he will comply. I am not araid of the needles, I am afraid of being too tight after my fill!

That is great to hear !

I have my first fill next Tuesday. However, my dr. doesn't numb before, but I am going to ask him for some Lidocaine and see if he will comply. I am not araid of the needles, I am afraid of being too tight after my fill!

Good luck next Tuesday! I don't think you'll be too tight after your first fill. My doc said they don't generally fill too much the first time, so you'll probably be more restricted, but I don't think you'll have to worry about being too tight yet! Good luck! :rolleyes2:

I had my first fill this morning. I have a 9cc Realize band and was told that they can do up to 5 CCs on the first fill. I left with about 4.5 CCs. Liquids and mushies for the first 2 days so lunch was Panera cheese Broccoli Soup which went down without any problem. I only ate about 2/3 but not because of restriction. I could have eaten the whole thing. Then tonight I had some buttered noodles. I had about 1/2 -3/4 cup down and then BAM! Out of nowhere I got tight. So I stopped and walked around a bit. Nothing bad happened. Just the tightness. Of course I'm just learning to watch for the signs and I know that I was not waiting long enough in between bites. But I was excited to feel the tightness and know that it's going to work. Hopefully, I can restart the weightloss. I've only lost about 3 pounds in the past 3 weeks of no restricition bandster hell.

I was supposed to have a fill today... but my doctor wouldn't do it, as he claims that I am doing well enough without any liquid in the band.

I'm frustrated- I've literally worked my butt off to lose even small amounts during 'Bandster Hell', hoping that once I got my first fill, my weight loss would accelerate even more.

I've limited my portion sizes and dealt with hunger pains that have been so bad, they've even woken me up.

I am looking at 2 more weeks of this, and quite frankly, I am NOT happy right now. *sigh*

Hi Everyone!

I went in for my first fill yesterday. It was very interesting. I mentioned to the Dr. that I had had some issues of PB'ing (3 x's) over the prior weekend (more than I'd had the entire 6 weeks prior!) and some problems taking in liquids. (I was mostly PB'ing liquids).

I had been doing fine before the last weekend and we kind of mulled over the fact that I had been out in the heat doing landscaping and bending over a bunch. It probably didn't help the situation at all. I did tell him that I had gotten to the place where I was famished about 2-3 hours after a meal the week prior (found out those were the monthly hormones b/c it went away the same time my chocolate cravings did - lol!!) I had also lost more than the 2 lbs. per week average and I was feeling great in general. I was still eating small amounts and being satisfied.

He decided that we should go ahead and do a fill.

He had me lay down, he accessed the port and added Fluid (I was scared of that tiny little prick? Ha! It was nothing to worry about at all!) and then had me sit up and drink Water until I could feel it getting "stuck" then he would back off of the fluid until It would pass through. Problem was...he had to remove all of it before it would pass through!

So I guess that explains why I had such a terrible time right after surgery (I ended up dehydrated 3 times and needing IV fluids - potassium low, heart racing....YUCK.) He said the swelling from surgery probably caused my stomach to ALMOST close off (we know that didn't happen completely b/c I had 2 different X-Rays done.)

Anyway...I'm glad to know that getting a fill when I finally do need it isn't going to be a problem!

Funny thing is my sister also had a similar experience - she had a fill after 8 weeks - 1/2 cc then no fills for over a year and she lost 100 lbs. I guess we have very sensitive stomachs.

Hope you all are doing well with your fills - I'm so thankful for this forum. I love reading all of your comments.

Wow, you're all doing so well with your weight loss! Missbinda, I'm sorry to hear that your first fill was postponed. That must be so frustrating!!!

It is interesting to see how different everyone's body is in terms of how much fill they need. My surgeon explained that it all depends on the size and shape of your stomach. When I got my first fill, I found out that I already had 5 cc's in from surgery! Yet I didn't feel any restriction. Then he only put in 1 cc and I felt it. Strange. Now that I am 3 1/2 weeks out from my fill, I'm starting to lose that restriction feeling. I have to wait until July 24 for my next fill. I'm sure I'll be ready by then!

Good luck to everyone! Keep up the great work! :thumbup:

I had my first fill today. He only put in 2cc, I am pretty disappointed. I have a slight tight feeling in my chest, but everything passes. I had 6 oz of milk with no issues at all.

He won't do anything for 4 more weeks. I have to trust him, but this is discouraging. I have a 14cc band.

C