Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Fill Experiences For The Mayo BANDitos

finally after my 1st refill on July 3, 2009 the scales has finally moved. I did lose 13 lbs after the 1st week of surgery but the scales didn't move after that. But now they are moving. YEPPIE!!!

well this morning I was on the verge of full blown crying. I went in for my first fill at fill center usa since I was banded in tj mexico, well after 2 needles and 20 mins of constant poking around under the skin with the needle, they told me they could not do my fill because they believe that my port has flipped over and floating around. they want to send me for xray and see if I need to go back in to surgery and have it sutured back into me!! Im so disapointed plus the fact that I am self pay and this is going to get much more expensive. I so wanted just to get restriction especially before I leave on vacation this thursday. I just feel so helpless besides the fact of just trying to do my best with what I have already. It has been a though day emotionally and just pray that they will find a doctor this week that can do the flourascopy (at a reasonable price)! sorry for the rant but I feel like nobody here understand what I am going through. well I better stop because the tears are starting to well up in my eyes again.:frown:

What a tough time you are experiencing, and I feel so sorry that you have to go through this after having had to go through surgery and traveling away from home also.

You are doing marvelously with your 32 lb loss. Kudos!

But the thought of vacation is a bit dampened now because

of the port problems. I do hope they can fit you in for a test before you go .

I do hope things work out for you and that they get the revision done at their expense.

well this morning I was on the verge of full blown crying. I went in for my first fill at fill center usa since I was banded in tj Mexico, well after 2 needles and 20 mins of constant poking around under the skin with the needle, they told me they could not do my fill because they believe that my port has flipped over and floating around. they want to send me for xray and see if I need to go back in to surgery and have it sutured back into me!! Im so disapointed plus the fact that I am self pay and this is going to get much more expensive. I so wanted just to get restriction especially before I leave on vacation this thursday. I just feel so helpless besides the fact of just trying to do my best with what I have already. It has been a though day emotionally and just pray that they will find a doctor this week that can do the flourascopy (at a reasonable price)! sorry for the rant but I feel like nobody here understand what I am going through. well I better stop because the tears are starting to well up in my eyes again.:frown:

you are not alone! I DO understand, I HAD THE SAME THING HAPPEN TO ME! My revision surgery was just about 2 weeks ago. ANd I finally have my first fill of 1.5 cc which they did at the time of surgery. I have been going to a general surgeon in pasco washington for my fills since My lapband surgeon Dr. Kelly is in TJ. Dr. Kelly was willing to fix it for free! After talking to Dr. Heap (surgeon in pasco) he offered to reposition the port for less than what it would have costed for the plane ticket to TJ so I had it done here. I too am self pay so I TOTALLY know how it hurts to think of ALL of the expense and all I want to do is just be healthy!

Look to the bright side... you know what the problem is and how to fix it. If you would like to read my blog for the messy details about the whole port thing please feel fre. I hope it offers you some comfort. I am now abol to start getting my fills as regular people do. I hope to find my sweet spot sooner than later so I can really start getting this weight off.

Dont give up. I have found a bottle of Isopure a day has really helped! Good luck!

well I have not had an xray yet nor have they called me back yet. But I do feel less stressed. I know it can be fixed, if that is truely the problem. But my cordinators think they might not hvae been experienced enough. so she suggests I have the xray and see whats going on before i freak. she did say that if I did need to have it repositioned that I would have to drive or fly to San Diego and they would pick me up and charge me $300 to fix it. Im not sure if the $300 is fair though when it wasn't my fault. And thankyou for those of you that commented on my situation...support really does help ease the frustration!!!

I'm with you less of me. Why should you have to pay for it. Have you checked in state to see what it would cost you to do it? After you count the flight or 6 hour drive plus time there maybe it wouldn't be more. Just a thought.

well this morning I was on the verge of full blown crying. I went in for my first fill at fill center usa since I was banded in tj Mexico, well after 2 needles and 20 mins of constant poking around under the skin with the needle, they told me they could not do my fill because they believe that my port has flipped over and floating around. they want to send me for xray and see if I need to go back in to surgery and have it sutured back into me!! Im so disapointed plus the fact that I am self pay and this is going to get much more expensive. I so wanted just to get restriction especially before I leave on vacation this thursday. I just feel so helpless besides the fact of just trying to do my best with what I have already. It has been a though day emotionally and just pray that they will find a doctor this week that can do the flourascopy (at a reasonable price)! sorry for the rant but I feel like nobody here understand what I am going through. well I better stop because the tears are starting to well up in my eyes again.:biggrin:

Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear that. How awful. And I agree with the others, you shouldn't have to pay that $300 because it is NOT your fault. I'm really sorry you are going through this. We are all here for you! :thumbdown:

I am so sorry less-of-me that is horrible. How frustrating!

I FINALLY got my first fill yesterday. My surgeon numbed my tummy with a lidocaine injection and had me lay down and do a bit of a sit up. He got the fill needle in with the first jab. He put in 2cc's I wish it had been a bit more but its Kaiser's policy *shrug*. I have a little bit more restriction so hopefully I will start dropping some weight. I am not holding my breath though I expect it will take at least 2 if not more fills before I hit my sweet spot.

less of me, I am deeply sorry about your port. I'm with the other your dr in mexico should fix it free. That has to be just terrible to get a fill and they can't find your port. Well hang in there we are here and feel your pain. I too went to Monterrey,Mexico and had my surgery May 18th by Dr Zapata. I've had a refill and they stuck me the 1st time and hit my port. Let us know what you decide and best of luck. Hang in here!!!

well, before I go to Mexico my surgon wants mw to go and have a fluoro to see if it is actually flipped. they said that it might be the dr was too inexperienced and was doing it blind. they said a fluoro will give us an exact answer. so I have to pay to get another fill appoinment to see if it is flipped. But if it is I am out that money too. And to top it off they cant even get me in till the 27th and I leave on vacation tomorrow. I just wanted to go on vacation and have restriction so that I didnt focus on food the whole time! Well, I guess I will have to wait to see how this all plays out. please pray that when I do get into the dr that my port is not flipped and that I wont need surgery again. Thank you for ALL of your support...it means a lot to me

Thank you

I went in for my first fill today and didn't get one. I haven't really been hungry and have been losing about two pounds a week. I don't know if it this is the band or me causing the weight loss. I have never tried to eat more than about 1 1/2 c of food so I don't know if I have restriction or not. My doctor said he is not going to try to fix something that is not working. I'll be back to see him in three months.

EPRESCO, did they tell you why they wouldn't put a refill in your band.

My surgeon said I was doing everything right including following the rules. I was not hungry and was losing 2# a week which is what is expected (1-2# per week) with the band. He didn't want to tamper with what seemed to be already working by doing a fill. I know if I get into trouble before my next appointment in 3 months, I will give him a call.

well, before I go to Mexico my surgon wants mw to go and have a fluoro to see if it is actually flipped. they said that it might be the dr was too inexperienced and was doing it blind. they said a fluoro will give us an exact answer. so I have to pay to get another fill appoinment to see if it is flipped. But if it is I am out that money too. And to top it off they cant even get me in till the 27th and I leave on vacation tomorrow. I just wanted to go on vacation and have restriction so that I didnt focus on food the whole time! Well, I guess I will have to wait to see how this all plays out. please pray that when I do get into the dr that my port is not flipped and that I wont need surgery again. Thank you for ALL of your support...it means a lot to me

Thank you

We are all with you. As you know My port was flipped and my surgeon Dr. Kelly in TJ did offer to fix it free of charge! A good surgeon should! after all we pay SO MUCH just to get started and maintain the lapband! I hope your vacation goes well! And some good news. My surgeon told me they are working on developing an new port that can be accessed from BOTH sides!!!! how awesome that will be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!