Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Fill Experiences For The Mayo BANDitos

I think we need our own "First Fill Experience " Thread so we can compare notes on the experience and how we are eating after our first fill.

Good luck to everyone getting their first fill...:party: I'm anxious to hear from the group as the fills progress.

Thanks for starting this. My first fill will be June 16th and he said he will be putting a lot of Fluid in so I am getting excited! :(

I'm due for my first fill on 6/26. He's only putting in 1-2CC's. I have a 10CC band- I'm almost positive. And the way his assistant explained it ever so gently, you'll be eating real food by then, and then we're gonna throw a monkey wrench in your program:glare:. Good luck everyone!

My first fill is on June 12. I'm getting anxious! I'm so hungry all the time, it will be nice to feel full! This Bandster Hell is for the birds!:frown:

My first fill was suppose to be June 16th but my appt had to be changed due to my work being a PIA. So now I am on for June 9th and I am not sure he will fill me so soon. My bariatric nurse said my first fill will be 4-5ccs and I am so excited!! But also reserved that he may not fill me so early, I was only banded on May 11th so holding my breath until then!!

Hi everyone.. I had my first fill back on 5/14 and honestly i felt the restriction that day and the day after, but after that i felt just like i did prior to my fill..HUNGRY! I had 4cc's put in and i go for my second fill on 6/8..not sure how much they will put in but i hope its enough to feel restriction for a while...I heard that for some people it takes 4+ fills to feel anything...so we will see..i will keep everyone posted!!:confused:

Hi, Toot! Thanks for the heads up about being hungry still. Two important questions for you that I'm sure a lot of us mayo Banditos are dying to know the answers to: 1.) Did you go through Bandster Hell before you had your first fill, where your weight loss slowed down dramatically; and 2.) If so, did your weight loss start up again after your first fill? I think I'm willing to put up with some hunger (since I've done it now for over a month :)) as long as the scale starts going down again! :confused:

Thanks!!!!

My first fill is July 1st ugh. Wish it was sooner. I don't think Kaiser fills aggressively so I am not expecting to him my "sweet spot" for up to 6 months. I have a 14cc band and there is nothing in it right now.

My first fill is scheduled for June 20th. I don't have anything in my band right now and my surgeon said he only fills around 1cc at a time so I anticipate it's going to take awhile to get to the right amount. Looking forward to getting it done but a little worried about that needle in my tummy! I hate needles!!!

I was banded on May 6th, and had my first fill yesterday (June 4th). I was pretty nervous going into it, mostly from not knowing what to expect. The woman was really nice though, and walked me through everything. She asked me some questions about my diet, how hungry I get, etc. Then she checked my chart and saw that I had 4cc's from surgery in a 14cc band. She decided that she was going to put 1.5cc's into it at this time.

She asked me if I wanted lidocaine, and I told her I wasn't sure, what was the difference? She said if I got the lidocaine I was going to feel a bee sting, and then I wouldn't feel anything she did after that, or anything else right there for about an hour. I'll admit, I'm a big baby, and didn't want the bee sting. I asked her if I didn't want it, what would it feel like. She said well, it will feel a little like I'm taking blood. You're going to feel a push, it will be in and out, and then you'll be done. I finally decided to go without the lidocaine.

I pulled my shirt up, and she put a pillow behind my back to make me "bend" more backwards, it kinda felt like I was looking upside down. I put my arms behind my head and didn't really watch her.

She felt for my port, and said that it was right on top, and she wasn't going to have any trouble finding it. She swabbed me with some alcohol, and then said, ok...here goes the pressure. She said I'm going to check that there is 4cc's in there, yep, there is. I'm going to add 1.55cc's. Ok...you're going to feel a slight pull...and then...well...that's it.

I was done. She was in and out in less than 45 seconds. She stuck a band-aid on me...and that's it. I was given a cup of Water, told to drink it, and that when I was ready, I could go.

Could not have gone any better I don't think. I built it up in my head so much that I afterwards I couldn't believe it. Love my pre-op care, my surgery team, and now my post-op care. They've been wonderful.

David

Thanks for the update, David! Sounds pretty easy! :tongue2: I have two questions -- how big was the needle she used for the fill -- was it a thick one or a thin one? Also, are you now on a liquid diet again, and if so, for how long?

I get my first fill next Friday, and I'm anxious to get some restriction! Let us know how it goes with your restriction and feelings of hunger, if you would please. Inquiring minds want to know! :unsure:

Thanks for the update, David! Sounds pretty easy! :tongue2: I have two questions -- how big was the needle she used for the fill -- was it a thick one or a thin one? Also, are you now on a liquid diet again, and if so, for how long?

I get my first fill next Friday, and I'm anxious to get some restriction! Let us know how it goes with your restriction and feelings of hunger, if you would please. Inquiring minds want to know! :unsure:

I don't think I'm a good judge of the needle size...she did mention that it was slightly smaller than the ones they use to draw blood, if that gives you any ideas.

I was told to be on a liquid diet for two days, and then soft foods for two days. I did not follow those directions, however. One of the great benefits to me is to have a good friend who has gone through this, and I listen to her for most of my advice. I was HUNGRY when I was done. I had some Soup at lunch (maybe a 1/4 cup), and some pinto Beans at dinner (1/2 cup) last night. This morning I had a shake for Breakfast, and had mushroom chicken (1/2 cup) from a Chinese place near work for lunch. That was about four hours ago, and I'm not hungry...so I guess it's working. lol

David

I don't think I'm a good judge of the needle size...she did mention that it was slightly smaller than the ones they use to draw blood, if that gives you any ideas.

I was told to be on a liquid diet for two days, and then soft foods for two days. I did not follow those directions, however. One of the great benefits to me is to have a good friend who has gone through this, and I listen to her for most of my advice. I was HUNGRY when I was done. I had some Soup at lunch (maybe a 1/4 cup), and some pinto Beans at dinner (1/2 cup) last night. This morning I had a shake for Breakfast, and had mushroom chicken (1/2 cup) from a Chinese place near work for lunch. That was about four hours ago, and I'm not hungry...so I guess it's working. lol

David

GREAT!!! :tongue2: That is what I like to hear! Sounds like a small needle compared the needle I used to have stuck in my chemo port, so I am very glad to hear that! And, it really does sound like the restriction is keeping you full. Woohoo! :unsure:

Well I was banded on 5/06/09 and I had my first fill today.

I have a 11cc band and my Dr. wanted to put in 5 cc's but he thinks he was only able to get 4cc's maybe 4.5cc's in.

So just for those that like to know how it all went here is the run down. he had me lay back on the table and put my arms above my head like I was getting ready to do crunches. Then he asked me to stick out my stomach and he felt for the port and then he gave me a little lidocain and then he poked around to find the port hole. I have to tell you he missed a few times and it did hurt I can't lie. He then found it and then he put in some Fluid and then pulled it back out to make sure he was in, he was so then he put the rest of the Fluid in. They had me drick some Water and make sure that is didnt come back up. I didnt feel any differant And that was it.

They put a band aid on the poke. And I was done, he said he wanted to see me in 2 months and to call him if I don't have restriction. And that is is, not to eventful.

I had an ounce of cottaqe cheese and I was full so, I think so far it is working. Yeah...:thumbup:

I got my first fill today and boy did I need it. I've only managed a net loss of 1# in the past three weeks due to getting back to solid food and being hungry about 3-4 hours out now.

The doctor used and ultrasound to mark where my port was. He said things looked good, no Fluid or such around the port. They numbed me first and then added the Fluid. The pushed and pushed to almost the point of discomfort but only because it was so close to my ribs. Finally they finished. I had to drink some Water to make sure it could pass through. I was told to only have Soup for dinner and then back to regular foods tomorrow but to chew well. Dr. Chua said he was going to bring me up to 4cc's today. I don't know if there was anything in the band at all but I don't think so. I have another fill appointment on 7/13. I will go monthly until I hit the 'green zone' and then every 3-4 months until I need restriction again. When I was asked if Mondays or Fridays are best for me, I chose Mondays since I've read that some people need to get unfilled after a fill and I didn't want to have problems over the weekend.

As I am typing this, I'm feeling a tightness. Its possibly a spasm that the doctor mentioned could happen today. Other than that, I feel fine.