Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Fill Experiences For The Mayo BANDitos

IMPORTANT INFO...

I just wanted you all to be aware if you have sinus congestion/drainage when you get a fill, you may feel additional restriction and have a hard time getting down Water or anything. My best friend had the same fill amount as I did (4 cc's) but she could barely get 3/4 of the water down, thought it would get better, and had a rough time the rest of the day and night 'sliming' and was unable to get anything else down. She was better in the morning, and able to tolerate Soup and a Protein Shake. If you're going in for a fill and have congestion, you may want to postpone it, or at least mention your congestion to your doctor before they give you the fill. Here is a thread on congestion and fills:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f17/colds-sinus-infections-cause-changes-your-band-47756/

• progress.gif

well...its 7:50pm...and I had my fill at 3. A little disappointed. I have been reading on here how everyone is getting pretty significant amounts in their bands..and I only got .8cc's!!!! When talking to the nurse, and she was asking me about my diet...she said in so many words that I wasnt making good food choices. Today Marks the end of my "mushies" phase. My surgeon told me during my mushies phase to eat baked/mashed potatoes (no skin obviously), Soups, oatmeals, creamed corn, etc. She wasnt feeling this. She was definately not happy that I have had avocado. I didnt really realize how high it was in fat and calories, so that was my fault..but it was good, and mushy...and i was getting so tired of the other stuff. So she said that she was only giving me .8 (she said a normal fill is 1cc). This makes me concerned because the past 2 weeks i have been stuck on a plateau, and felt little to no restriction on the amount or what I am eating. I have been nervous to eat alot, for fear of stretching, or slippage. The .8cc's brings my total to 3.8 out of a possible 10cc's. I hope this gives me a better satisfaction level than I have had the past 2 weeks.

As for the fill itself..I opted to not get the numbing meds..and it was fine. A little stick, much like giving blood...and a very small amt of pressure, but was over in maybe 30 seconds at the most. She was awesome...she knew exactly where it was by touch, and only had to stick me once. WHEW!!!! I was very thankful for that. ESPECIALLY since I declined pain meds. It has been about 4 hours since my fill...and I have no soreness, or anything.

So I had my first fill on the 15th, 3 was in from surgery which I didn't know and they put in 1.6 so I am up to 4.6 in a 10cc band. It hurt a little but the weirdest sensation was the pressure, it felt like someone sitting on you, I have to say I got a little shaky at first, but everything is fine now, some restriction, go back on 7/13 for another fill.

Leeann,

I would have been annoyed at that nurse. Avocado is one of my go-to foods - yes, it has fat, but it's the 'good' fat. It also has lots of other good things in it, and it can be very filling.

The thing about diet and nutrition is that the medical professionals don't all agree. It's easy to get conflicting information from those in the medical profession - even dieticians and nutritionists.

I guess what I'm saying, I'd shop around for someone whose ideology on nutrition matches what you believe, what resonates and works with you. I don't me look for someone to tell you that you can have whatever you want or anything. LOL But there is no capital-T "Truth" in this area so you have to find the approach you can get behind and then ignore everyone else.

In my world, avocados are a wonderful part of my diet. In fact, I'm getting ready to leave for work and I have one in my bag to have for lunch.

I had my first fill a little over a week ago. I go in again today for another one. She told me to try the fill(almost

6 cc's) and to come back in 2 weeks if there was little restriction. I called to make an appointment and they can see me today.

I have to say - When you start to get restricted it's amazing how you feel after eating only 4 oz of food. Yesterday, for lunch I had 3-4 oz's of tuna fish and it held me for hours. Last night, I was able to eat one meatball from the local Italian Rest. ( That's it) and I was satisfied for hours. Truly amazing......

Edited by John337

I have to say - When you start to get restricted it's amazing how you feel after eating only 4 oz of food. Yesterday, for lunch I had 3-4 oz's of tuna fish and it held me for hours. Last night, I was able to eat one meatball from the local Italian Rest. ( That's it) and I was satisfied for hours. Truly amazing......

That's awesome, John! I really want a meatball now. lol

I'm still struggling with the Clean Plate Club issue and listening to my body to determine if I'm full or not.

Keep up the good work!:wink:

You are not getting enough calories to lose weight, your body is in starvation mode and is saying hey wait a minute, if all I get is 500 calories I am not letting anything else go... try upping it to 800-1000 calories a day and the scale will move again.

I had my first fill today! I was so nervous and worked up and it was NOTHING!! Just a little needle that didn't hurt at all I'm glad to report! I have a 10cc band and I just found out that the dr put in 4cc at surgery (I thought I didn't have any). The nurse put in .7 today - I of course wanted more. I am on full liquid for 2 days, soft foods 1 day then regular diet. So far I can't tell anything but I've only been drinking. Thanks for starting this thread - it's been really helpful!!! So 4.7cc and I have an appointment in 1 month.:thumbup:

First fill was again a bust!!!!!

port is turned pointing to my left shoulder. I had hoped he could hit the spot but it just wasnt working.

SO I HAVE TO HAVE THE PORT RE POSITIONED!!! UGGGG

So now I dont know which way to go. My options are to do in her in the states, I ave no Idea how much that will cost....

Or back to my surgeon. He said he will fix it and fill it for free I just have to get there. So I am looking at getting the passport- $45, Plane ticket thru Orbitz.com- $355 , and I am checking out one nights stay in a hotel while In TJ. So far it is a $400 bill but that really sound fare to me because if I were to get a fill here in the states or $150 plus the $450 for the flouro (this was just raised) then I would be totalling $600 so financially Mexico still makes sence. My issue is the kids!!!! I have 3 and the youngest is 18 months. Last time I left he developed and really bad fit throwing habit and we have been working thru it. FOr the most part it is fine (but he has is moments) maybe I can get him a passport and take him with, but when I am in the surgery who would care for him, Everone would be a stranger! I think if I can get grandma to watch him and My girls who are 9 years old that would be easiest. But my mom lives in New york and My mother in law doesnt want to be involved with my lapband. She doesnt believe in it. So I havent asked my husband is home on the weekend.. I will have to ask my Dr. if he is willing to work on the weekend. So I guess I have more questions than answers...

My first fill was yesterday (6/18/09). It was strange feeling the band fill up. I could only drink a little bit all day yesterday, but today I was able to have a slim fast and Soup.< /p>

I think my first fill went great. I had my first fill on June 15 under flouro. He tried to put 2cc's and i could get the Water down so he backed it to 1.5cc and that was perfect i have great resriction. He said i have a total of 5.75cc in my band so i must of had 4.25 at surgery which i also didn't know.

Hey Banditos, looks like we're all moving along well!

I've been off living life with the Band - in Bandster Hell of course. But I go for my first fill today, and I can't wait! This thread has helped me prepare for it. :(

Although I'm a bit peeved - my buddies MamaDot and MamaBully were banded by the same surgeon as me a week after my band date, and got a fill a week ago - lucky girls! I should have pestered that receptionist some more, I swear she doesn't like me. Ah, all things happen for a reason, right?

I've been hovering around 30lbs lost, but I know I eat significantly less now than I did pre-band. I've been fighting off depression so it's been hard to be motivated to exercise but I'm doing little things here and there. Hoping the fill will help me get refocused!

Kellster, you're doing fabulous! :( It's great to see you on here again! It's easy to get down and depressed during Bandster Hell. Come on here and we'll cheer you on! We're all going through the same things. Once you get a bit more restriction, things will start moving again.

And, sometimes you just have to PUSH yourself, no matter how much you hate it. I had to do that yesterday with exercise. I hadn't walked in days, and yesterday was a beautiful sunny day (rare here on the East coast lately), but I had no desire to walk and I was exhausted. But I pushed myself to get out there because I figured I'd never get down to the size I wanted without doing some sort of exercise now. It sucked. I won't lie. ha! But, the whole time, I kept visualizing what size I wanted to be. That helped a little bit.

Hang in there, Kellster, you can do this! :biggrin: