Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bunny Bandsters - April '09, MASTER THREAD #1

Hello All!

I'm being banded in late April (official date to come), and I haven't heard about this "2-week Opti" or whatever it is. Is this something I will have to do pre-op? I haven't been told about this...

Jess

Hi jukebox,

Sometimes the surgeons will ask patients to follow a very low calorie diet (VLCD) for between a few days to a few weeks before surgery. Some people don't have to do it at all. Anyway, for those who are advised to follow such a diet, there are several commercial products for this - Optislim, Optifast, etc, which are typically a shake-like product. Apparently, the VLCD helps reduce the risk of problems in relation to the liver (as it reduces the size of the liver pre-op) and maybe gives the surgeons a bit more wiggle room when doing the surgery.

PharmaGirl,

Thanks for explaining. I don't know if I just have really easy-going insurance coverage or what, but all I had to do was have a full physical w/my PCP (including bloodwork out the ying-yang), meet the surgeon for a consultation, talk with a psychologist for an hour, and have three meetings with a nutritionist within three calendar months. I'm not sure if it's because I'm qualifying for surgery based on my BMI being over 50 alone (I have no co-morbidities associated with obesity), but I met the doctor in February, and my final nutritionist appointment is April 3rd, when they will submit all of my paperwork to the insurance company and we'll have approval within ten business days...At least that is what I've been told. Is there a possibility that I may not get approved? The surgeon's office said that my insurance just has specific requirements (which I have met), and once those are met, the surgery is automatically approved. Could it turn out that I may not actually get to have the surgery afterall? Now I'm totally freaking out. ;o)

Edited by jukebox81782
needed to add information

I am not sure about the insurance thing - it will depend on the company that you are with. Are you in America? I am in New Zealand, but my insurance company pays one lump sum which is only a small part of it, and its up to them eg its a discretionary payment - they don't have to front up. However my surgeon said they usually pay if you meet the criteria - mainly BMI over 40.

Sissy, I had to look these up too as I have never heard of them. And I found out that Peppridge farm is the parent company and they are having a special thing where they will be at Target thru the month of March. :frown: But I just realized this is probably bad news since many of us are starting our pre-op diets....Sorry

We could buy them and freeze them for another later time :-)

JB- If you've talked to the insurance expert (whoever deals with them) at your surgeons office, then I wouldn't be too worried as they know each insurance companies requirements. The only thing that you didn't mention that I might question is whether or not you need documentation of an exercise program for the same three months you were working with the nutritionist (just a short notation saying what your goals were/how you did ea. mo...ie. treadmill 4x week/30 min./met goal). I'd make a call to your surgeon's ins. person and just have him/her go over your ins. co. requirments, even if it's just to ease your mind so there's no question that you're done. Best wishes! -BG

Hey everyone! Good Morning!! My ins. also made me jump thru hoops. I had to see my PCP for 6 months in a row, see a Psc,a nutritionist,go to a support meeting,physical therapy, and after I did all that I had to wait about 2 wks. to get my answer back from the ins. Believe me when I say, I was so nervous!! I thought what if, after I have spent all this time on trying to get approval and then they no, not to mention the $$$$$$$$ getting all the things done!! Well I was at work when the Dr.s office called so I couldn't call them back until I went on my break ( I had to wait about 2 hrs. before I could call back!! ) and of all things, I was SCARED to call them!! But anyway I called and really couldn't believe I had been approved!! I kept saying "Are you sure, Are you sure" :party:Well I gota go. I'm going fishing for the 1st time this yr!! I'm taking 3 of my grandkids,15,8 and a 4 yr. old, not sure how much fishing I'm going to get to do but it'll be fun Talk to ya later!!

Edited by doodlebug11

I am going to call this morning to try to find out if they are solid on my date yet. I am so eager to have the date cemented so I can start getting the ball rolling with help w/the children and such. I cannot imagine that it is going to be soon. My surgery is supposed to be on 4/21 which is a Tuesday. I think my husband is going to take the week off to help w/our 7 and 4 yr old. My mom wants to come up to help too but I dont know....I dont want her to waste her vacation. Ugh if they would get a definate date I could start truly planning. I was hoping for a Thursday/Friday surgery date, so nobody would miss too much work.

Okkkk, started my liquid diet today! Not to bad so far... of course, it's only 10:25 am too, ha! The first shake filled me up pretty good. Been sipping on some broth that is ok... but nothing I'd crave for sure! Almost time for another shake... the offical countdown has started.... 15 more days till surgery!!!!

Ldeere we've got the same surgery date! I am really hungry after all of this today. Chewing some gum right now. I'm only eating the supplements at this point... I might have to add some of the extra liquid "options" on my list! Water is just not too tasty. ha ha ha

Hang in there Ldeere & Hopeful ! If you get over the 3-4 day hump you can do it. I am day 6 now and I don't feel hungry at all. (my diet is 3 shakes 1 cup of veges per day) its like your stomach stops asking to be fed on day 5. :frown:

But you MUST drink the 2L of Water every day! For two reasons

1) it fills you up

and

2) You won't lose as much weight as you need to without it!

Its only 2 weeks, and then you are set up for the life you have always dreamed about!!! I cannot wait!!!!!!!! I am dreaming about what clothes I will wear!!!!

:(

Thanks for the encouragement Ling! I will be looking forward to day 5. :rolleyes2: And you're right, it will definitely be worth it. Have you guys checked out the before and after pictures? WOW! They are amazing. I can't imagine being a size 22/24 now and ended up a 6! It always seemed impossible, but now....

Well here they are as embarrassing as they are. I put these with tight clothes on rather then regular because these show it all!

DSC03034.jpgDSC03035.jpgDSC03036.jpg

Edited by hopeful41411

Thanks for the encouragement Ling! I will be looking forward to day 5. :rolleyes2: And you're right, it will definitely be worth it. Have you guys checked out the before and after pictures? WOW! They are amazing. I can't imagine being a size 22/24 now and ended up a 6! It always seemed impossible, but now....

Well here they are as embarrassing as they are. I put these with tight clothes on rather then regular because these show it all!

DSC03034.jpgDSC03035.jpgDSC03036.jpg

I *so* have this feeling too. I cannot fathom what it will feel like to not have to reach to the BACK of the rack and hope that size will fit me. We are planning a trip to disney world in december and i am so curious as to what size shirt i will be in by then.

Hi All! I am being banded on 22nd April. Super-scared now it's becoming a reality, but excited by the thought that this time I might actually lose my weight. Good luck to all of you.

Now I have to figure out how to add fancy tickers and stuff to my posts....

I called my surgeon's office today on the way to work and confirmed that I've done all I need to do for my insurance company's requirements. I guess I just have a more accepting insurance company…well, that, and I have a BMI that’s pushing 60...

I’ve officially set the date for my surgery though—as of now, I’ll be banded on April 15th. I may change the date because of work-related reasons, but for now, that’s the date. :rolleyes2:

I decided to take one more last-ditch effort to try and lose weight on my own, though. I started today because there is roughly one month until my surgery date. I’ll be eating as if I had the band (or at least trying to eat the smallest sized portions I can while eating the breakfast/shake/lunch/shake/dinner regimen. I’ve also joined a gym and paid for a personal trainer 3x a week for the next 4 weeks.

I fear this may have been a bad idea because my trainer keeps telling me that I won’t even want the surgery after the month is up… Did anyone ever feel like they were “taking the easy way out” by getting surgery? I keep hearing this phrase thrown around a lot by people in my life who claim they are just worried about me going under the knife…

Also, sometimes I feel like I should be able to do it on my own because I’m young and in good health. I don’t know…

Did anyone ever deal with guilt associated with being able to have the opportunity to get the surgery in the first place? I have a lot of overweight family members who don’t have the financial freedom to have the surgery… sometimes I feel guilty—like I should struggle because they do.

Just things that I’ve been battling with lately… wanted to throw it out there and see if anyone else is going through it at this stage pre-op. :scared2: