Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Friday, January 23, 2009

hey all ~ just checking in and checking up on everyone. Had difficulty logging in to the site last couple of days. I'm off my pitty pot now and trying to do exercises e.g. walking and sit-ups. Haven't weighed in awhile - so not sure what the damage has been from the last week or so. Trying to get back on track. Amy I like the concept of "portion size" more than what type of food I can eat. That p.o me so much not to eat things I want sometimes, so maybe I'll think of it in terms of portion sizes. Good one. Ok ladies take care, talk with you all soon.

Hey Sharon! This who journey is such a trip to me, I only weigh in every 2 weeks because I can easily get obsessed about the scale! With my fill, I am restricted, I think I could use a tiny bit more saline though, but I am good. I have been pretty good, my band has been good to me and is keeping me in line ... hope everyone is well!

Hey Everyone!!

Congrats on the fill Needtoseemeagain!!

So its been almost a week since my fill and im really getting to know more about my band. I am learning which foods I can and cant eat and how much (my dad's meat lasagna got stuck 3 times before I gave up on eating it....no pb's yet though). I am eating more than the 3 oz, or whatever I should be, but I still think im doing great. I know it can take a few fills to get to where the doctor wants me to be.

Overall so far this has been a huge learning experience for me and a huge motivator. I even hired a personal trainer and have been working out everyday for 5 days. Yay!!

Well, continue being strong everyone and I look forward to hearing updates from all!!

When I went for my one month check up my dr said I had lost 20 since surgery but in his eyes it didn't count. Yes I was the one who starved but thats not the reason behind the bad or the way it will work in the future. I was even bummed out since I had actually gained back a few pounds so even though the numbers looked good to him I knew better.

He said that once I was on full foods then I got credit for what I lost, it was Portion Control and proper choices with the bands help.

Well my appt was tues and wed we had to run out of town to take care of one of the kids who was pretty sick. I was scared to death about food choices, its a college town and it seems so much is fried foods.

We took the other kids out to eat for seafood which I haven never cared for but I ordered maui maui which wasn't bad but was bland, I tasted the sampler plate didn't care for lobster without butter but loved the crab legs. My DH and I dixcovered we could eat there together for under 30 not counting the tip and both be happy.

Long story short, to my surprise when I got home and weighed last noght I had lost again the scales moved in the right direction. You have to remember for some reason 4 ounces is all I can eat, I haven't had a fill yet and don't have one scheduled, I keep thinking its this new generation band, but whatever it is, in my head or whatever I feel restriction. I did get some unusual exercise while we were there and I'm sure that helped but seeing the scale go in the right way was a very emotional time last night.

I think I had differant ideas of what this woud be like as well, I don't feel anymore like I'm truely dieting for me its portion control and I don't have to feel hungry according to my dr as long as I'm not eating around the band and having a rediculous amount of smaller meals a day everythings cool. I have a feeling we are all in for an interesting ride from here on out with its ups and downs. I'm glad I have you all to share with

XOXOXOXOXO

Hey Everyone!!

Congrats on the fill Needtoseemeagain!!

So its been almost a week since my fill and im really getting to know more about my band. I am learning which foods I can and cant eat and how much (my dad's meat lasagna got stuck 3 times before I gave up on eating it....no pb's yet though). I am eating more than the 3 oz, or whatever I should be, but I still think im doing great. I know it can take a few fills to get to where the doctor wants me to be.

Overall so far this has been a huge learning experience for me and a huge motivator. I even hired a personal trainer and have been working out everyday for 5 days. Yay!!

Well, continue being strong everyone and I look forward to hearing updates from all!!

Thank you sweetie! Too bad about the Lasagne mabe you can make a tolerable substitute to satisfy your taste for that. I have decided to to the Susan Komen 3 day walk in San Diego, CA for cncer it is in November, that is how my excercise is focused so I have a goal. I am looking forward to hearing about all of our victories!

Got my fill today. Definitely feeling the tightness like right after surgery. Still hungry though I can't eat anything but broth. I am looking forward to finishing the 24-48 hours of Clear Liquids and move on to the creamy Soups again.

Hey Everyone,

As time goes on im starting to eat more and more it seems like. Oh well, I knew it would take a few fills for me to get to the right restriction. Hopefully everything is going good for you all.

So, im just wondering, how are you friends and family supporting you?

I had alot of support for getting my band. My family was all for me getting the band and were great with helping me after surgery. I think they are still supporting me but there are a few things that they say that really bother me. I have recently hired a personal trainer and have found a great love for exercising. After working with my trainer a few times I decided to join the gym. When I told my dad he about had a fit. He said it was a waste of money and that im just throwing my money down the drain. I guess I would have thought he would be happy for me. I went ahead and joined anyway but I hate that he isnt supporting me like I expected.

Another thing that has happened is today after I saw my trainer I was talking to one of my sisters. She told me my other sister said that I could have saved $10,000 (the cost of my surgery) if I had just hired a personal trainer in the first place. I thought that was very rude.

Am I being too sensitive?

No you are not. What they are saying is insensitive. Most of my support group knows better to say things like that regardless if they are thinking of them or not. But there are a few that say stupid crap, and you just gotta roll with it knowing that people who don't share our problem really don't get it for the most part. They try to be supportive out of love, but they don't recognize that obesity is a very real disease, both physical as well as mental. They think because they don't have a problem with it, you shouldn't.

When people say dumb things like, "wow you could have just gone on a liquid diet and saved the money for surgery", I say:

"saved it so I can use it for surgery when I gain it all back when I start eating solid foods again, or do you think I can eat liquids for the rest of me life?"

Hang in there!!

Hey all ~ Yes, this is an interesting journey, not quite what I had imagined. I'm a little disappointed, because I do feel like I have to "diet" for the band to work. I heard what the office said about the band, not being the magic solution, but didn't realize how much "dieting" would be involved. If I could have been successful doing that, I would have not gotten the band. I'm sorry to be so negative, but that's how I feel. I only have one or two people who know I have the band - except my family. My family thought it was a ridiculous move in the first place, thought I should exercise and diet rather than getting the band - they ask how I'm doing, but it's not like I can really share my feelings and frustrations with them. I have a friend who does try to encourage me and says that he sees a difference, but sometimes I think he is just being kind. I feel absolutely nothing, I can eat what I want and as much as I want. I don't do that, but I'm not doing as well as I had hoped. I think my doc will do my first fill on Weds and hopefully I can get on track.

Colorado - I don't think you are being sensitive. The whispered comments are unkind but you can make a believer out of them all when you lose the weight. I don't really understand why your dad would be against the gym membership, whatever gets you to exercise is a great thing. Going to the gym is about the only thing my Dad would think is a good thing resulting from the band. Anyway, keep your head up. From your posts you sound like you are doing great - KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!

Sharon,

You haven't gotten your first fill, so the band hasn't been able to do its job yet. Give it a chance before you start worrying too much. I just got my fill last Monday and started eating solids again Friday night, and boy howdy do I feel it.

The two weeks before the fill I was eating everything in sight. The liquids after the fill were running right through me. But now, everything has changed.

Also think about this: the band is supposed to not just make you lose weight, but never gain it back again. How many diet and exercise programs alone have the success rate of keeping the weight off compared to people who have lapbands? So what if it takes you two years to lose it all and reach your goal if you are never gaining it back again? I'm counting on slow, steady, and permanent!

Hang in there!

Hey all! So I received my first fill last Thursday the 5th. They pulled quite a bit of Fluid from my seroma so that feels a little better. They added 1.5ccs to my band for a total of 3ccs. I am starting to think that it might be too much. I can get liquids down alright, not the greatest, but mushy food is almost impossible. I did mushy mac n cheese and even that hurt. I'm only suppose to be on mushies until Thursday since they aren't that healthy, however I can't imagine eating food at this rate. I've actually had PB happen a couple of times and it was not good :biggrin: So I'm going to give it until the end of the week and then I'm going to call if I'm not at least able to get some mashed potatoes down haha This fille is pretty tough since I was used to eating real food. Now I'm starving and can barely get anything down, but I'm adjusting..stomach is shrinking again!

Edited by illinigrl83

Just had my first fill on Monday and sis 24 hours of liquids. This mrning I had a sunny side up egg that was pretty much liquidy then tried chicken noodle Soup for lunch, all I can handle is the broth is this swelling? Am I expecting 48 hours to be to soon for chicken noodle soup ? I jope everyones doing great. Those of you past that first fill please let me know

Saundra-A lot of it is the swelling. I tried noodle Soup too and it was uncomfortable. I'm still have trouble with getting regular food down. I did liquids for two days and then mushies for a week, but honestly it was about 4 days before I could really get mushies down. I was super concerned like you. It has gotten better and that's pretty much the only reason why I haven't gone back to the Dr. I know I see him again Apr 2nd for my 2nd fill. I keep wondering if I even need the 2nd fill this soon LOL I'd say if you couldn't get mushies down in 4-5 days to give your Dr. a call just to confirm that this is how you are feeling. Or if you are paranoid like me just call now and confirm. Better to know than to wonder! Good luck!!!

The strange part is last night I was able to eat some baked potatoe but I know how that turns to sugar, so I was hoping to move along to something else. I gave up on the noodle part and drank some of the broth, I can't believe how full I am, no more of that worrying that liquids will push what I ate right through and I'll be hungry again its been quite awhile and I'm as full as I was when I said no more. Since this happened to you I'll give it a few more days. Guess broth, pop sicles amd fudge sicles will hang out awhile longer Thanks for answering....now if I could get it to email me again when theres a reply that would be great

Oh yea I can understand not wanting to eat the potatoe. I have that same issue. But they said to do it until I feel comfortable but try not to stay on the mushies since they are ususally unhealthy. It also has to do with what time of day you are eating. I can not eat anything in the morning. I have paid for it! Very scary. But lesson learned! :sneaky: Isn't is great not feeling hungry though? Definitely a change, but not a bad one :lol:

Yea sometimes the site will email and sometimes it won't. Finicky lil thing haha

Well good luck and let me know how things go!

Hi Ladies ~ Been a while. I've been on vacation for about a week, just returning. Had my first fill before I left. Didn't feel effects so much the first few days, but afterwards...boy. I'm learning a few things, though they have been said before on this site e.g. don't drink and eat at same time, not comfortable feeling at all. Bought a dinner from this restaurant while away, Mom ate her whole meal in one day, so did stepfather - me it actually took me 2 additional days to finish off the meal. Still not losing much, food choices are horrible. Did exercise a few times while away and felt good about that, so think I'll start going back to gym at home now. Certain foods I just can't tolerate anymore e.g. french fries, I love them - but they get stuck so bad it just isn't worth it. Breads not great either; oh yeah I finished off a real soda the other day left by a friend, that didn't do well either. I seem to get stuck more than any PB; sometimes a little bit of heartburn. No matter I definitely have the full sensation after eating. If I can just eat properly maybe the band will have been well worth it. Does anybody feel like the top portion of their stomach is more extended then before? Well talk with you guys too and I hope all has been going fairly well with everyone.