Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Friday, January 23, 2009

Hi Heather,

I did not have a bun. I ate my sons hot dog that he did not want and he is not a bun kind of kid ;-) I have not tried to get any bread down but from what I have been hearing bread is difficult to get down.

Kara

Thanks!

Well, I did finally feel a little restriction yesterday. I ate a few spoonfuls of guacomole and noticed the chest pain a little bit. I guess it is the first thing I've had that didn't seem to run straight through. I haven't tried a hot dog yet! :thumbup:

This coming Thursday I get real solids for the first time. The lab is going out to lunch to eat Mexican food that day, and I've decided to try it. We'll see how it goes.

Hey all ~ seems like everyone is doing fairly well, highs and lows with hunger. I guess that's par for the course. I have to be careful not to go to long to eat, before you know it, I'm starving and that's when I want something to eat - no matter what it is and I can guarantee whatever I select won't be good for me.:eek:

I have terrible gas. I suppose I need to get some of the remedies mentioned here on the forum e.g. Gas X etc. I also have to be sure to get Fiber in my sysem daily, which eases going to the bathroom. I'm not doing the Protein Shakes so much anymore, I tried to acquire a taste for them, but didn't. I will still bring one to work with me to fight the hunger. My doc actually prescribed Phentermine to help deal with hunger. I've taken it before as a means to lose weight, but I didn't help to control what I put in my mouth when I did eat. I think it is helping...:thumbdown:

Life is pretty much back to normal and now it's just a matter of sticking to my post-op diet and waiting until March when I see my doc again. He said we will see about the fill then. He also said that some folks rarely ever need a fill.

Well got to get ready to go to weigh-in, still using the Weight Watchers program. HOT DOGS - not a good food for me at all - for something so small it is unimagineable in terms of fat and calories (or so WW says...):rolleyes:

Later

I haven't been released to exercise yet like crunches and things, walking mostly and he doesn't want my heart rate over 120. Has anyone else been allowed to exercise yet?

I imagine I would be a lot hungrier if I were exercising. When he explained at my post op it made sense now after all 101 questions I asked I only remember him saying body needs to heal and I have lost a lot of weight fast, and somehow that added up to the keeping my heart rate under 120 for now.....

I feel like I always come up with the strange ones.........oh and taking baths again feels so good yummmmmmm

The fat and calorie count depends on the hotdog. You can even find fat free ones if you really love them.

But as far as exercise goes, my doc said three weeks for standard light exercise, and three months before using abs, i.e. crunches.

Hey everyone,

It sounds like everyone is doing great!!! it sounds like some of you are moving onto things a bit quicker than me but I know everyone's dr's orders are different. I just started my soft food diet and am so happy to be off of liquids some now. I see my doc on the 23rd for my first fill so maybe he will clear me for some excercise by then. I would also love to take a bath but dont want to until I get the ok from him.

It sounds like a few of you still have some restriction and some of you dont. I am eating more than I did right after surgery but not nearly as much as I used to which is great. Tonight me and my daughter had some tamales from a can and I ate one and a half and she ate 3. It was pretty funny that my 6 year old is eating twice what I am.:thumbdown:

I can't have tamales yet but I did call the nurse the other day since I fordot to ask at post op appt to see when I could bathe, and the answer was go for it. The wait was till they knew my incessions (sp) were healing.

I guess everyones diet is differant, the closest I get to solids is soft boiled egg

Well...I've had a little setbackfrown.gif My mentor explained what pb'ing means and I've experienced that feeling but didn't know what it was. Nothing actually came up so I just thought it was a "burp." :thumbup: and kept eating. Now that I know this and coupled with reviewing the notebook I received from my doc again, PLUS, the gas and now serious Constipation I'm experiencing, I think I have been eating too much.

My stomach is literally in knots. I did lose 1.8lbs this week and I was a little disappointed about this, because I thought I was doing everything right; at least I didn't gain. I've decided to go back to the full liquid diet for a day or two in order to get my tummy straightened out. I've added prune juice to my daily intake and hopefully this will help to cleanse my system. I also purchased a food scale and some measuring cups. When I went back and read my post op instructions, I realized I'm only supposed to be taking in 1/2 cup of food for 4-6 weeks after surgery. This is my 3rd week and last night I had about 2oz of salmon, 1/2 baked potato and an 1oz of brussel sprouts. I mashed the stuff up pretty well and ate slowly, but obviously I'm eating too much, plus I need to limit starches to about 2 servings a week. I'm paying for it now.

Let's hope my system clears up in a couple of days. 1/2 cup of food is NO food at all, but I will do my best. :)

How is this group doing? I too was banded on the 23rd of Jan. Anyone on complete solids yet? I have been dancing around it, kinda scared to. Somewhat hungry, sometime more mental. I have been going to the gym, walking.

I have lost 9 lbs since procedure date. It's slowing down, but at least not gaining. Maybe you can share what's goi:thumbup:ng on with you. good luck to us

ss Sharon, at least you found out whats going on and can fix it now. The Protein is really helping me not be so hungry and measuring everything and putting it on smaller plates is helping me get use to the visual better. I try to eat the foods I'm allowed to with more Protein in them since they seem to keep me full longer. I'm allowed pureed navy Beans and they seem more filling than most things on my list. Hang in there it works out, we aren't the first ones to get this wrong. Its a lifestyle change with lots to learn

No gym here, dr said walking and side twists only for now. Heart rate under 120. I guess each dr has his own pace and since I'm 20lbs post op I'm not comlpaining

Sharon,

Hang in there. I am struggling with the weight loss also. I only lost .5 lbs this week and it is frustrating when you have changed your eating habits so much. I spoke with my Dr today. They said for the first 6 weeks focus on healing and eating soft foods. Make sure that you get your Protein in and watch the carbs. They said once we get a fill we will feel the restriction.

If the Constipation gets really bad try Milk of Magnesia. The doctor recommended that to me and it worked.

Good luck this week!

Thanks guys for the support. I feel much better now.:thumbup: The prune juice helped a lot. I did full liquids all day yesterday and today, actually don't feel like I'm starving either. Tomorrow, I creep back into the mushies - but will stick with the required amounts I'm supposed to eat.

Saundra - you've mentioned something about "protein bullets" what are they and where do you get them? I know I'm not getting my Protein in, cause I don't particularly care for the Protein Shakes and the other things I eat/drink don't contain the recommended amount of protein. I have the Protein Powder too, but it changes the way my food/drink tastes e.g. chalky so I don't like that either.

I'll look for the corn Soup too and try to keep some stuff around to help with Constipation. I'm trying to stay away from stuff in pill form, because I'm scared it might get stuck - however some of those pills are pretty small.

This whole change of life in terms of eating really does require a complete change in your thinking and actions. I don't think I have ever been so conscious about what I eat than I am now. I really want the band to work for me.

Anyway - thanks for listening to me and your encouragement.

Sharon, they are whey Protein bullets that are 42 grams of protein in just 3 ounces, I do 1/2 at a time. my dr said that if I can get in at least 60 grams of protein I'd be ok so this makes a huge difference. Later after I'm eating more I will still want them for those times I know I won't eat right if I'm not gonna be home to eat and things like that. Here is where I geyt mine Liquid Protein Information and Product Listings - Fitness First USA I've tried grape and liked them and am waiting o the blue raspberry to get here today. They have a referral program so if you'd use my name Saundra Rotherham and my # 0125199 I'd appreciate it if you drcide to try them. Theres also a code to save like $6.00 its OCONUS1. When I figured out the cost of the shakes versus these and the amount of protein these were much cheaper. I like them better than I like the chewable bugs bunnys but trying to explain taste I suck at kind of a sweeter than you expect taste. Hope this helps:thumbup: