Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who's getting banded on January 13th?

Thersa0326 - I am excited too! Like you, coming to this decision was long in the making. I beat myself up for too long. Once I decided and found a doctor (I have to travel 4 hours to Denver) it felt like the smartest thing I have done in a long time. My primary Dr. is a huge fan of the surgery but understood that I am private pay and it was not a choice that I could just make mentally or financially. One great thing is that with the pre op diet I have already seen my insulin levels declining!

Hello everyone! I live in Corydon, Indiana-across the river from Louisville, KY. I'm having my surgery done on January 13th too in Louisville with Dr. Bryce Schuster.

I just started my pre-surgery diet today. I was surprised, because it's not all liquids. I get to have 2 cups of raw vegetables, 2 half-cups of canned fruit or 2 small fruits a day, 3 of either 6 oz cottage cheese, 8 oz sugar-free yogurt or sugar-free pudding, 2 cups milk, 2 Protein shakes, 1 cup of apple or orange juice, and as much sugar-free liquids as I can stand. I can also have broth, sugar-free Jello, sugar-free popsicles, no sugar added fudgesicles--as many as I want!

I also am supposed to have 1 chewable Vitamin, 1 serving of Benefiber, and 1 Tums tablet a day. It's definitely livable. I've made it through day one, and my mom, dad, and husband are doing the diet with me for support. I think really they just don't want me to be able to gripe about it because they're not going through what I'm going through. Ha-ha.

I've been stocking up on what else they told me I'd need after surgery: Gas-X strips, Tums, Pepcid AC (to help keep acid down & reduce nausea), Benefiber 2X a day, chewable Vitamin. They also said not to drink through a straw to avoid more bloating and no carbonated drinks. They said to avoid citrus drinks after first few days to decrease nausea. They also send home a Rx for Celebrex for pain (or I could take OTC Aleve) and an Rx for anti-nausea medicine. And they put a sea-sick patch behind your ear the day of surgery.

I had my pre-op tests last Friday. The barium swallow was kind of difficult, but I made it, and it only takes about 10 minutes. The rest was pretty easy. Everyone was very nice.

They said the more you get up and move around on the first day, the easier it'll be the next day, and so on. So I'm going to try to stay motivated and keep moving a little.

I am kind-of scared. It took me 3 years to come to this decision. My aunt who is a year younger than me had the by-pass surgery 3 years ago. She's lost like 2 people! I tried really hard the last 3 years to lose weight on my own, but it just hasn't happened. I really did not want to have surgery. I've NEVER been in the hospital for anything, and it terrifies me. But I've been overweight for about 12 years now and tried one diet after another (mainly I've done WeightWatchers.) I always feel like I'm starving, and I gain the weight back. I thought at least with this, I shouldn't feel hungry. And my aunt has inspired me.

I'm 32 years old. I already have aching joints (knees, ankles especially) and back. I don't want to keep struggling with this. I want to lose it and get living! I was not overweight growing up. I remember what it's like to have a lot of energy and feel beautiful. And I want to be that way again. I've been on antidepressants for 10 years, and I sometimes think I've been numb to gaining weight. I don't have the passion that I had when I wasn't on antidepressants. But I can't stop taking them. But in a way, it was like I just couldn't get excited enough or motivated enough to really change. I've recently had some adjustments to my meds, and I think I'm really ready to get back into life. I'm just glad I have this option, and I'm so thankful my insurance approved it.

Anyway, sorry so long! I appreciate hearing all of your stories, and I wish I had more time to get on here and chat! Keep in touch.

Maybell

welcome Maybell and Theresa. We are all less than a week away from the beginning of our new lives! I had my on-on-one with my surgoen this morning and everything's a "go". He will use the smaller of the two Lap Bands on me as well as the smaler port because they will be the best fit for my body frame. His nurse gave me a diet--2 freakin small meals a day--nothing more than can fit on a saucer! I'm all WTF??? Doc says I don't really have to stick to it too strictly because I'm not big on the belly fat (Yeah, whatever!) According to every mirror and pair of pants I try to put on, I could be 8 months pregnant! But if the doctor says I can get away with not starving myself for the next week, I'm all for it! However, I will be on all fluids for two days prior to surgery, and that could be a real drag!

So, I get back to school (I'm a VP) and tell my boss I have to have hernia surgery. She's handling it pretty well, and it may even work out well for her in an indirect way. Our school district is experiencing serious budget cuts and there was talk that I would be placed at another school a couple days a week, meaning that I would only be at my current school for 3-4 days a week. My boss can now plead her case to her boss saying that since I'm going to be gone for about a week, I can't possibly be placed somewhere else after I get back. Whatever works. I'm getting this surgery and that's the end of it!

My surgeon thinks I am an excellent candidate for the procedure and thinks my attitude and general outlook on life will help me to be successful. I sure do hope he's right!

I feel like I can finally breathe...

Yesterday I took my oldest son (14) to school, I home school my youngest. (13) Went for (fasting) blood work, to my pre-op clearance with my primary, picked up my son, to the hospital for my ekg, and chest x-ray and to a mandatory seminar from 7 - 9 pm. YES, I did it! Why, did I wait to the last minute? Actually, I did not. I started this process 7 months ago and was 2 weeks before surgery when my insurance company denied me. So, when on December 24, I got approved and the Doctor's office said we can either do you the middle of February or January 13. Let's just say if there were hoops to be jumped. I was willing to jump them! Abd I know deep down inside that it will all be worth it. I know how to lose weight. I did it before and kept it off for years. I gained it all back in the last 3 years. I guess I got too happy-I married the man of my dreams 3 years ago or too stressed- I have a special needs child. I have been so depressed since gaining the weight. I felt like I couldn't lose the weight on my own. I am so thankful that this did come through because it has given me so much HOPE. Thank You all for your support in these last few days.

"Perfect"

Way to go, Perfectforme! I also have children with special needs and I understand the stress that surrounds being a parent. I left work yesterday to attend an IEP for my 8 year old, ran home, threw dinner together, then took my almost 14 year-old to his therapy appointment. My children are both on on the autistic spectrum and that has definitely been a great source of my stress over the years. Hnag in there! We can ALL do this! I'm so proud of US! :thumbup:

Hello Everyone!

I started a post for January 13th not realizing there was one started. Anyway, my name is Cher I am 33 yrs. old and I live in PA. I have one son who is 15 and I just recently got engaged for Christmas. My Lap Band surgery is for January 13th and Dr. Garcia from Allentown PA will be doing my Surgery. I have a pre-admission test january 9th @ 8am. I currently weigh 250lbs and my goal weight is 180 (for now). I am very excited and can not weight to see results. I am on a pre-op dite which is nothing but liquids for 7 days. It is not a easy dite and they say the 3rd day is worse. i am not looking forward to that day. Any sugestions on how to get throught this 7 day diet? Thanks in advance.

My pre-op appointment was today too. Nothing too serious - blood drawn, urine test, blood pressure, listening to lungs and heart - then reviewed again the pre-op and post-op instructions. I just finished reading all of the paperwork they sent home with me - it was kind of scary and/or discouraging but I still feel this is the right thing for me. "The pros outweigh the cons" so to speak.

For Cher, you just get the pre-op diet one day at a time. You're lucky to have 7 days. Mine is 14 days and some have 21. You can do it!

Hi all! I went to the Dr. today to, but not for anything good. I have a sinus infection and an infection in both ears. They put me on some strong antibiotics that they feel will have everyting kicked by the time that I go to Denver:sad_smile:

All my pre op will be the afternoon before the surgery! It makes me worry. I guess the good part is that my surgeon does no seem worried at all.

Adamsmom- It sounds like this may be a blessing in more than one way for you.

Welcome Cherbear--you'll find us a friendly bunch.

Amymoe--so sorry you're sick. You must be stressing too much. Make sure you take your Vitamins. 6 more days, ladies, 6more days!!!!!:thumbup:

You-all really inspire me. Here I'm thinking how am I going to get my 30-pound spoiled rotten dog up on the bed when I can't lift anything? It's funny, but that's one of the only things I've been extremely worried about. My doggie loves to sleep with her mommy and I like her there, but she's too short and fat to get up there herself, and I don't think she'd use a ramp. I guess she'll have to stay down for a while. I hope it doesn't hurt her feelings too much!

I am a little worried about the pain and nausea. I get nauseated very easily, and the most painful thing I've ever had done was my wisdom teeth cut out (and that was horrible.) For some reason I'm not really very worried about being extremely hungry. I've just got it in my head that I'm ready to eat a whole lot less to look and feel a whole lot better.

I'm really getting excited. It feels like the 13th will be the first day of a very wonderful thing, and I cannot wait! I hope all goes well for everyone.:thumbs_up:

thanks Bumbele-Bee and adamsmom. My second day is not too bad, but I am hungry. So when i get hungry I get on here and look for support. Then i go take a relaxing bath. WOW i can not belive some people have 14 and 21 days pre op diet. That makes me feel better and I know i can do it now, Thatis nothing compared to others.

I'm hanging in there, but I'm hungry! I'm not really nervous about Tuesday - mostly excited. But I am nervous about the post-op diet and anxious to see how I'll react to surgery since everyone is different. I'm going to the monthly support group this Saturday so that's good timing. It's all I can think about. I can't concentrate on anything!!

Good evening, ladies. Thought I'd do a quick post before I get my kids off to bed, etc. I forgot to mention yesterday, my surgery is scheduled for 12:15 p.m. (Pacific Standard Time) on the 13th. I have to be at the hospital at 9:00 a.m. I have not been good on my "cutting back" today. Even though the doc says I'm OK not to diet until Sunday, I feel I'll be better off if I try to be good. At least I passed up all the Desserts and my secretary's birthday cake today. I am being terrible with my H2O but that's because it's so cold! I'm am so impressed with those of you who are doing a real pre-op diet and hanging in there with it. We are 5 days away from the beginning of our new lives! How cool is that? It's really helpful having all of you here with exactly the same surgery date. :confused:

Hello everyone,

I am on my 3rd day doing this pre-op diet and i am doing well, but I must say I AM HUNGRY!! I had my pre admission testing this morning @ 8am. they did an ekg, blood work, urine and i talked to an Anesthesiologist about my medical history and the procedure for Tuesday. People are asking me If I am nervous, I am more excited than anything. I will be nervous when i am in the hospital getting ready to enter the operation room. My new life will be starting in just 4 more days!