Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who's getting banded on January 13th?

Congratulations Tweety, how exciting for you both to share this part of your lives. My partner could benefit, but won't think about it, and at the same time is afraid of being "left behind" as I get healthy. I can only worry about my own health right now, but keep encouraging. She's been very helpful though as I've been on the first week of the liquid diet...

congrats, Tweey and DH. Both on the same day? Who's going to take care of you? LOL!

I have also managed my liquids only diet today--yes, I feel hungry, but it hasn't been too difficult. I've stayed busy: ironed clothes for me and the kids for the week, done yard work, pruning fruit trees, grape vines, and roses, and pulling weeds. So I got some exercise in too! Without dieting, I have lost 7 pounds since the middle of December. Go figure? If it had been that easy all these years, I wouldn't be 2 days away from getting banded.

I found some ggod creamy soups: Wolfgang Puck's creamy butternut squash, a creamy brocolli and a creamy corn. I also went out and got the "Better than Boullion" that I have read others giving good reports about. I got soy milk because all that milk in my shakes was not sitting well with my stomach, even though I bought lactose free. I made up a batch of Jello and pudding and put Protein powder in both--unflavored in the Jello and chocolate in the banana pudding. My husband is roasting chicken right now for him and the kids and it smells pretty good. It'll be a while before I can have any of that!

Anyway, 2 more days, ladies just 2 more days! :tongue2:

It feels good to know others will be starting their lap band journey on the same day. I can't believe this day is almost here. I just finished my pre op diet- 3 Protein shakes and 1 small meal a day. Now I'm doing 5 Protein Shakes for monday and then nothing after midnight on tuesday. Wasn't that bad, but I'm kind of nervous of the post op diet,

My family is somewhat supportive, however there are some who wished I would change my mind. Why don't they understand???

Also I have been feel very emotional, on the verge of tears almost all day. Does anyone else feel like this? I feel like crying now!!!!!!

Hi Whiteb4... sorry to hear that you are emotional too :thumbdown: I

have been on a rollercoaster for the past week and it has been scary and exciting all at the same time. My mother had her stomache stapled years ago and passed away she was 42..... ALL I can think about is my kids and my husband. I keep thinking what if. Then I ask myself what kind of life can I live like this, tired all the time, high blood pressure and the list goes on. Mu husband keeps assuring me that all will be fine. I have not told my family yet, so I am nervous about if something happens I know they will be upset. (if I have complications etc. I know I will be fine) I did tell my mother in law and husband of course but that is it. My kids are 8 and 11 and I do not want them to worry. Everytime I ever went on a "new diet" I always heard the flack from family and friends, it is hard but remember you have to take care of yourself before you can take care of anyone else. Just focus on proving them wrong, make them jealous that wow you look great... just think in a few years you can say I told you so. Good luck and I look forward to hear how EVERYONE is doing this week :wub:baylee9866@aol.com Off work for the next 2 weeks if you ever need to talk I will be here.

Well, tomorrow's our big day! I'm having my surgery at 7:30 AM EST. I've got to be at the hospital at 6 though (yuck). But I guess it's good to get it over with early. I'm ready to get on with it. My hubby is taking me.

My doctor told me to bring the gas strips with me to the hospital. I'm also supposed to take 1 Tums a day and he had me get Pepcid. He's also supposed to give me a prescription for Phenergan. So I guess I'll be loaded up on stomach meds. I've already been taking the Pepcids before I go to bed, because the liquid diet's been hard on my stomach (reflux). I don't usually have a problem with this, but I have since I've been on the liquid diet, so I'm glad I'd already bought some for the surgery.

I hope all goes well for everyone. I can't wait to get the actual surgery part over with!

Me too, Maybelll--I've not had a good time stomach wise with this pre-op diet. Sounds like you'll be the first of us all to get the surgery. When I go in, yours will be all over and done. Good luck.

As for the lady who's mom died afetr stomach stapling--there's a reason why we're getting banded instead of bypassed or stapled: it's 100% safer. You will be fine and I'm so sorry all of your family is not on board. I have only told my mother and my DH in my damily. Everyone else is being told that I'm getting hernia surgery, or they're not being told anything at all. I just didn't want to have to defend a difficult, personal decision with peole who have no idea what it's like to battle obesity for eyars on end. My emotional energy has to go into making this operation work. You will be fine and as a result of this procedure, you will be healthier--Congrats! Remember, we are giving ourselves a wonderful gift! :cursing:

Now regarding this pre-op liquid only diet: I am light-headed and dizzy from lack of food! My only concern is my 30 mile drive home from work today feeling like this! Say a little prayer for me:w00t:

Hello everyone,

Tomorrow is my BIG DAY! My surgery is for 6:30am EST. i just want to say good luck to all January 13th banders. I think we should all keep in touch on this thread after our banding, to see all of us made out and our progress.

Good luck tomorrow everyone! My date is next Tuesday, so I'm hoping that you might share (tips from hind-sight) what you brought to the hospital that you weren't told in advance that you'd need - or what you wish you'd brought that would have made it better?

Thanks - I'll be thinking of you tomorrow.

Well our time has come, good luck everyone. I will be praying for us all. My surgery time 9:00 but I need to be there at 7:30. Wow, I can't believe it!!!!!

:lol:

Just checking in one last time before I leave for the hospital in about an hour. I have to be there at 9:00 even though the surgery is at 12:00. Many or most of you will already be done by the time I go in, and I know we will all come through with flying colors. I promise to check in with you supportive ladies as soon as I am up to it. Good Luck! God Bless, and Mazel Tov to us all for the first day in our new lives!:laugh:

Well ladies, I hope you all had a succesfull journey :) I was in the surgery center for check-in at 6:30a.m. and went

back to the operating room at 7:30 was OUT the door a little

after 10 a.m. I TRIED that whole liquid Tylenol thing...well, I ended up taking my prescription a few hours later. I was not dying just very uncomfortable and decided I am off work I may as well sleep as much as possible and just use it.

NTL.. I think asked for pointers well here is my input. BRING your own Protein Powder to make a drink there, the nurse will not give you any pain meds after you wake up until you have eaten something and the one at our center is NASTY!

Luckily my hubby had already made a run to smoothie king. I know at first my Dr. and nutrionist said NO smoothie king, but brought them in the bottles (powder form) and a packet

showing the ones they make there the Low carb only has 268 calories, 9 fat, 7 carbs BUT 39 grams of Protein when you are out it is GREAT made in a blender with ice the BEST :) You can buy the Gladiator powder mix for home I use 1/2 milk, 1/2 cup Water and the scoop of powder blen it with ice and it only has 180 calories, no fat, 45 protein and 1 carb!! they come n choc, vanilla and strawberry. My dr. was floored and I brought them one and they agree BEST drink they have had. smmothieking.com this is my NEW best friend. Other than that wear comfy clothes, slip on shoes and get out of bed asap it does make you feel better!!

Wow! How easy was that!?!?!?

We were told to be at the surgery center at 6am so we got there about 10 til and the doors were locked! My husband was so excited he said that perhaps they cancelled all surgeries for today! LOL

Luckily they hadn’t and we were allowed in at 6am and from there everything was fast-forward. I don’t not remember much after receiving something to help me relax in my IV. I don’t know what that miracle stuff is but it is fantastic!

I barely remember being wheeled into the operating room, I can recall seeing the lights above me and that’s it until I woke up in recovery fighting the oxygen mask.

Next thing I know they are already getting me up out of the bed to get my barium swallow. I vaguely remember the walk, the x-ray or the walk back to the recliner. My nurse was great she was talking to me the whole time I just didn’t care what she was saying until……she told me that I had a hiatal hernia my ears perked up then and I said do what?!?!? And she said it again; I asked her what did that mean? She that I would be a bit sorer for the extra surgery, I thought to myself I didn’t sign up for that crap how did that happen!!! LOL

The nurse soon called my sister back to sit with me as my husband was already in surgery. I talked to my sister a bit but was not really in the talking mood (VERY unusual for me!) she got the hint and left and called my Dad back to sit with me. He did well he just sat there until I was ready to start talking; it took about 20 minutes to get the cobwebs out. But soon after I told my Dad to call the nurse I wanted to get up and walk I remember reading that was the best thing to do to help get rid of the gas and just all in all feel better. How right they were!

Hubby got out about an hour after I did so I sat with him for a bit then had my Dad take me home and drop off our prescriptions so he could pick them up when he was bring hubby home.

We both felt great once we were home, we got up and walked 5 mins every 30 minutes for the first 4 hours and then moved to 5 mins once every hour.

My daughter was here to help take care of us as far as making the ice packs getting us our meds, etc.

Had an okay night trying to sleep I will be happy when I can roll around in the bed as normal but hey I am not complaining one little bit!

I hope that everyone else’s surgery went as well as both me and my husband.

Cant wait to hear from all of yall!

That is awesome, I am so glad that you and your husband are doing great !! Quick ?? Are you having any pain/discomfort in your shoulders.. I for the life of me cannot figure out what it is. :rolleyes: It sounds like you had the same fast track as I did. The nurses at the surgery centers are GREAT, I was the ONLY surgery for the day (hehe) My Dr. usually does surgerys on Mon and Thurs. and and he was over booked so they bumped me to Tues. (I found out last week) and it was only me in the whole center. TALK about a private room. I figured it would either be great service or they would just let me die, the nurse assured that made way more paperwork for them so I would be kept a close eye on. She said we wont even let this one fall out of the bed, we will be out of here in no time. They had a great sense of humor. I wish the best for you guys and can't wait to hear how all of our fellow bandsters do from here on out!:tt2:

Good morning everyone, I am home and all went well--I was a "perfect text book case". My surgery was scheduled for noon, but the person 3 suregeries ahead of me had an "unexpected find" so that pushed me back to 130. The waiting was the worst because I had to be there at 9:00. The guy ahead of me was very nervous. I met him before at group consults, etc. I pumped him up and tried to make him feel better. John came through well, too, but had a hard time coming out of anaesthesia. I had my surgery after him, and woke up before he did! i WOKE UP IN A LOT OF PAIN, LIKE i'D BEEN KICKED IN THE CHEST BY A HORSE! BUT AFTER 4 SHOTs OF PENTHANOL AND 2 SHOTS OF MORPHINE i WAS A MUCH HAPPIER CAMPER! I was not made to eat or drink before getting pain meds, nor did I have to do a barium swallow. My only requirement was that I could get on top of the pain and pee and show them that I could drink with no problems. I achieved all very easily, and we were able to leave the hospital around 5:45.

Tips for those yet to have surgery: Bring a pillow with you from home, so that you can cushion your tummy from the seatbelt on the ride home. I thought of this at the last minute and it made the world of difference.

When they offer you something to drink, ask for a hot drink, such as tea, or room temp Water or juice--I found that the ice Water and ice cold apple juice hurt me going down, causing spasming. It still does, so I cannot drink anything real cold at the moment--everything is tepid or warm.

Walk a lot. The gas pain is worse than the incision pain, but walking frequently really helps me to burp--no southern explosions as of yet! I think everything has shut down in that neighborhood for a while!

I am eeling quite well--just feel like I did avbout 800 push ups now.

nOW TO TRY SOME ROOM-TEMP Jello :rolleyes: I WILL WRITE MORE LATER!

Hey Guys My name is andie and I too was banded yesterday! I am 25 and have battled this all my life so I figered this was best for me! How is everyone doing?? I am pretty sore. Gas pain mostly. Shoulder and left side pain! I have been switching tylenol with the lortab and it seems to be working ok. Anybody know how long this gas pain is suppose to last? Hope everybody is doing good!