Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How are the banded Notorious Novembers???

I do have a question....do you have to eat their meals, or do you have to cook your own? Isn't it expensive? My hubby (he only needs to lose about 10 lbs the rat....he can take off 20 lbs in a month, but that last 10 is always a pain) has been bugging me to check out WW or Jenny Craig for him, but it seems like everything I've read is that you have to eat their food....and it seems as though it's a lot of money.

Weight Watchers is good because you eat regular food. Anything you want. Everything is worth points by how much fat and calories are in it. You get so many points per day. So you figure out what you want to eat that day based on your points for the day. I like it, and it has always worked in the past. Hopefully with the band it will work even better. I have had a few private messages sent to me from others on WW with the band and say it really works well together. I will keep you posted on how I do.

I don't want anyone here to think I only eat low carb or that I only eat 1/2 cup of food at each meal OR even that I eat Protein then veggies at each meal. I am not that disciplined and my band does not like that 3 x's equal portion deal. I normally have an 8 oz Protein Shake in the morning followed by a skinny latte. lunch is often one of those tuna salad packs (yes, the crackers too!!) or chili (not low carb either!!). Sometimes, I just have another latte (milk is not low carb either!) For dinner, I try to have meat or fish and veggies, but sometimes have Beans and last night ate an entire ultimate cheeseburger from Jack in the Box without the bun. I am always very hungry finally at the night time meal so I eat a big meal usually, but never past being satisfied. I also eat spaghetti sauce with hambuger quite often with very little spaghetti or none. I hit a plateau for a couple weeks and added a couple TBS of Peanut Butter later in the evening and after 3 days of that I dropped 2 pounds and now another. The nut said I was not consuming enough calories to lose and he was right!!! So, what does everyone else eat???

I don't want anyone here to think I only eat low carb or that I only eat 1/2 cup of food at each meal OR even that I eat Protein then veggies at each meal. I am not that disciplined and my band does not like that 3 x's equal portion deal. I normally have an 8 oz Protein Shake in the morning followed by a skinny latte. lunch is often one of those tuna salad packs (yes, the crackers too!!) or chili (not low carb either!!). Sometimes, I just have another latte (milk is not low carb either!) For dinner, I try to have meat or fish and veggies, but sometimes have Beans and last night ate an entire ultimate cheeseburger from Jack in the Box without the bun. I am always very hungry finally at the night time meal so I eat a big meal usually, but never past being satisfied. I also eat spaghetti sauce with hambuger quite often with very little spaghetti or none. I hit a plateau for a couple weeks and added a couple TBS of Peanut Butter later in the evening and after 3 days of that I dropped 2 pounds and now another. The nut said I was not consuming enough calories to lose and he was right!!! So, what does everyone else eat???

You may have something there. I am eating a lot more than before now that I am on WW, and have noticed the scale is finally starting to move. Would be great to have to eat more to lose. :cursing:

I'm pretty similar, I usually don't eat Breakfast (up and running at 6 am getting the kids off and gym), sometimes I'll eat around 10 am--two eggs or a low carb protein shake. Lunch is usually around 1 or 2, and sometimes it's just a South Beach Bar or sometimes a salad with some shrimp. Evening is the boring time, I don't watch TV, so I'm usually out of my mind bored and head hunger kicks in. I eat dinner around 7, usually chicken or fish with potato (tons of carbs). Sometimes, like tonight, I ate no breakfast, didn't eat till 11:30, a cheeseburger too (no bun) and then wasn't hungry at all tonight, but ate a half cup of chinese chow mein noodles (tons of carbs, again), but I love 'em. So, today, all in all, I only ate about 800 calories and am not hungry. I worked off 800 calories at the gym, and am at a deficit of 1600 calories so far for the day. Not bad, but not good choices today. Plus I haven't gotten all my Water in, so I'm sipping like mad!

I think alot of us make the mistake of not eating enough. We've all got this mindset that eating too much got us here, so if I eat next to nothing then I'll certainly lose weight. This is not true!!

WannaB, I wanted to suggest to you that you were probably so restricted that you were taking in way less than your optimal daily calories, which results in your body reverting to starvation mode and holding onto every calorie you eat - resulting in absolutely no weight loss. But, last time I tried suggesting something to a fellow Bandster you got upset with me - so I didn't suggest it to you. Now that you're eating more each day you're starting to see the scale move, and that's great! Just remember, 1000 to 1200 calories per day is ideal for us bandsters, and any less than that could cause our weight loss to plateau and/or stop.

WannaB, I wanted to suggest to you that you were probably so restricted that you were taking in way less than your optimal daily calories, which results in your body reverting to starvation mode and holding onto every calorie you eat - resulting in absolutely no weight loss. But, last time I tried suggesting something to a fellow Bandster you got upset with me - .

I did not get upset with you. I thought it was pretty mean for you to freak someone out that was new to banding, that she had a slipped band when you are not a doctor. And to tell someone that without all the circumstances was not cool. Had nothing to do with calories. And that person sent me a PM thanking me for saying something to you.

Where do you buy the lattes you mentioned? I bought no name brand of meal replacemnet shakes when I couldnt keep down food to keep up my calories. They are gross.

Where do you buy the lattes you mentioned? I bought no name brand of meal replacemnet shakes when I couldnt keep down food to keep up my calories. They are gross.

Try the Slimfast Low Carb, they are the only thing I've found that I can keep down. Only place around me that carries them is Walmart.< /p>

Had my upper GI for possible slippage and dr. says everything looks good. Now, hopefully I will get my second fill on Tuesday. If not, then a week from Tuesday. Some November bandsters have had three or more fills by now and I am sure that makes a big difference in the amount of restriction. I have only had one fill and I have no restriction. I am really hoping that the next one will kick in and give me some help. I see that some bandsters are having an easier time of it and that makes it much easier to stay positive. A good dose of "I know it's hard, but you can do it" goes a lot further than criticism. I didn't expect my band to be a miracle, just a tool to help with the hunger. I do my best to eat right. I exercise 5 times per week and I am doing my part....no quick fix expected. But, some help was and is expected. For now, I am doing it on my own.

Had my upper GI for possible slippage and dr. says everything looks good.

I'm so glad everything looks good with your band, AllThings!

Now, hopefully I will get my second fill on Tuesday. If not, then a week from Tuesday.

The second fill definately did the trick for me - I have reasonable restriction...makes me eat really slow - especially when bread is involved. Raw carrots go down really easy, though!

A good dose of "I know it's hard, but you can do it" goes a lot further than criticism.

Yep, you're right...it IS hard, but YOU CAN DO IT!!!! (I'm talking to myself here, too!)

I do my best to eat right. I exercise 5 times per week and I am doing my part....no quick fix expected. But, some help was and is expected. For now, I am doing it on my own.

I hope the second fill helps you hit your 'sweet spot', until then, you are doing awesomely well by exercising 5 times per week - that is going to help you immensely. When you do start feeling restriction, exercise will already be a habit for you, and you'll be one of those who tones up and builds muscle while losing - that means you'll be healthy, hot and gorgeous that much sooner! :unsure:

That is what my Dr and nutritionists have suggested. No carbs until I lose 75 percent of the weight. I have slowly added back in vegetables and fruit. Their point is that you need to try to lose as much weight as possible in the first year. I am a carb addict too and it was hard for awhile but now I breeze right through it. Although, my little secret is that one day a week I do eat something I really want as long as the band allows me too. So far it has worked for me...just don't tell my Dr! It sure gives me something to look forward to as well. Good Luck...I know it is not easy!

Can you tell me what your typical diet is for a day? I can't figure out "no carbs" at all. thanks

Thanks, EbonyRose. I am anxiously awaiting that "sweet spot" I have heard so much about! I am doing all I can, each day, until the vision I have in my head becomes a reality. I want others to see my beauty, inside and out. But most of all, I want to be healthy so I can enjoy my beautiful granddaughters. Whenever I want something I know I shouldn't have, I see myself walking or playing with them and that helps a lot. I guess patience has never been one of my virtues and it takes a lot of patience in the beginning. But, this forum really helps because I can read how everyone else is doing and get encouragement. I sincerely hope that anyone who goes thru band surgery has excellent results. This is my prayer for all of you.

Can you tell me what your typical diet is for a day? I can't figure out "no carbs" at all. thanks

A no carb diet can consist of an egg beater & cheese omelet for any meal, ground turkey chili made with cooked veggies, red-fat cheese sticks for Snacks, fish, shellfish, sauteed steak or chicken with veggies etc..., Those make really great meals and I should be doing that more often as well.

DDGalarza,

Thank you so much for being so...positive. I had surgery on November 20th and I have yet to lose 20 lbs., however, in the past I would have gained 20 lbs. between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I know that I can do better ... work out harder and more frequently, stop eating slider foods, and stop munching late at night ... just to name a few. I am happy to know that it's going to be much more difficult to gain as much weight as I have in the past because I can't eat as much. It's so easy to be negative about this entire process. I will be the first to admit that I had unrealistic expectations. I think I was hoping gastric bypass results! As my doctor has emphasized from the beginning, the lap band is just a tool on this weight loss journey. Again, thanks for your positive attitude because your are so...right!

Delivered