Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Couch to 5k.....come join me!!

MacMadam... congrats on the 45min (almost) full run!!!

DE... As your team challenge buddy... Thanks for the 5m run!

Wow, I have such a long way to go. I started Week 2 last night and it was hard. Easier with the podcast than watching the second hand, but it was exhausting.

Reading all your times, I wonder if I'll ever get there. I'm super slow, way slower than any of you. The program says not to rush it, but geeze, I wanna do better.

Having said all that, how much slower will I be on the ground after training on a treadmill?

Suzanne... Don't get overwhelmed or discouraged by where we're at in comparison. We ALL started at week 1 and we ALL struggled with each new challenge. If it helps, I'll give you the short version of my progress... I started in mid July, and struggled each week with the first 2 runs, then by the 3 I was able to do the planned intervals. I progressed each week (although i often thought I should repeat a week). Then at week 5 I struggled a LOT with the 20 min run, so it took me about 4 weeks to do it. Then the switch was turned on and I moved from week 5 to week 9 in about 2-1/2 weeks. Once I stopped doing walk intervals, I was able to run much longer. As for speed, throughout the program I ran at about 4.2 - 4.3 mph and walked at 3.5 mph. I thought that was really slow, but I couldn't do any faster. Some people run slower and some faster... we each do what what we can.

Today I run 5-6 times a week, and usually run 12-15 miles a week. My speed is improving, I run at 4.7 - 5.0 mph and walk at 4.0 mph. I'm increasing my speed through run/jog intervals. This is definately a lifestyle for me now. I look forward to my runs and love what it has done for my health.

Suzanne... as for treadmill to road, there is a difference. I really prefer running outside, but with all the snow and ice, I rarely get out now. It took me until 1/2 through the program before I ventured outside, and once I did I loved it. I'm a bit slower outside, but can go much farther. I struggle with boredom on the treadmill.

omg Kathy, thanks for mentioning the boredom...in tapering on Sunday, i just walked for 2.4 mi. it was the first time i was bored with walking. i specifically walked and didnt run. im gonna do something most likely on Thursday, that'll give me friday to rest b4 my race Sat. I'm really psyched for it. but never imagined that id get so bored with the walking and not running in there too. hopefully these bunions will behave enough to do the race, and i'll have good results to report afterwards.

TC,

Carol

Thanks Kathy and Georgia. I start my new job March 2nd. I am excited and nervous. My workout schedule is going to have to adjusted to meet my new schedule.. I will work out at 0530 AM. YIKES. Thats ok it is so worth it. /when I was on vacation I wore a bikini everyday. Not only did my hsband tell me I looked "HOT", I saw men checking me out. God that felt great. I will get up early for that feeling every day.

I have to admit I havent been running but; back to it in th AM.

Everyone sounds like they are doing great.

Barneygirl~ I would just start at the pace that is right for you. You will be amazed at how quickly you will progress! It is a great program that really helps you get more active and fit!

No one is ever going to say that about me.

Okay, I lied. At our track workout today, the coach said I had good form!

We did fartlets and I was able to do 3 of them, which was the minimum we were supposed to do, but I had to keep going during the stretching time to finish. So it took me about an hour, total.

We ran at an easy pace for 2.5 laps, then a hard pace for 1.5 laps. So four laps total. Then a rest, then repeat two more times.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find the receiver for my iPod so I couldn't record this on my Nike+. I am so BUMMED!

Thanks Kathy. I felt great last week when I was running but this week I feel exhausted. Not sure if its the WW, my too tight band, or the running. I'm looking forward to reaching the point where I really enjoy it.

I'm struggling this week, with work, with exercise, with food, and don't even get me started on my hair (which I'm trying to grow out and it looks awful). LOL

I'm getting a slight unfill on Friday so that should help me get more lean protien. I'm going to bed earlier. I get up at 4am so I have a very long day. I don't get to run until 7pm and I'm well tired by then.

Any suggestions for more energy?

Hi!

Im still at it. I am all excited to watch the Tour of Califonia next week. MacMadame, you should watch some..its on the vs chanal. It will be good viewing to get you ready for Triathlons.

I am considering getting out of my comfort zone today by taking a lunchtime run outside. I have a shower in my office but im afaid of the looks ill get walking through the factory.

Ok insperation time: A book i would HIGHLY HIGHLY recomend is Ultra Marathon Man by Dean Karnazes. Im nealy done it. Its a huge insperation for running.

Think running 6 miles is painful? This guy has ran 199miles in a row! no rest! Started Friday at 5pm and finished Sunday morning. I know none of us could even think about that kind of distance. But it helps me HUGELY when i hit 5 or 6 miles and start to become a baby in my head about how it hurts.

GOOD READING. You can get it on Amazon.com i am sure.

hey whosya,

you've told me about this book b4. but the bizarro part of my brain keeps thinking - "he couldnt make it an even 200 miles?" i hope y'all are laughing at me on that thought too! :hurray: good job on the runs ppl. :) I'm so looking forward to thei run on Sat, then i promise to buckle down next week and do the c25k program once and for all and stop flying by the seat of my pants - so to speak. :hurray: When i researched the c25k program there were lots of programs for sale. It seems like the Nike one is a fav of all of you. i have my son's nano that i'll use, but any hints on the program will be appreciated.

tc all will post again soon.

Carol (slinky) :smile:

I felt great last week when I was running but this week I feel exhausted. Not sure if its the WW, my too tight band, or the running. I'm looking forward to reaching the point where I really enjoy it. Any suggestions for more energy?

Suzanne... take a look at your nutrition. When you run you need the right fuel. I know Renewed and Georgia have followed (successfully I think) a low carb diet. But I can't do that. I tried it for a week and couldn't sustain enough energy to run. I'm not a perfect eater... I figure the band is there to help me, so I still eat a bit of my comfort food! But I know if I eat right, the energy is there for the running. I try to eat a balance of good Protein even if it has a bit of fat (I tend to eat chicken thigh, fish and ground turkey), whole grains for fibre and veggies. Thats what I focus on. fruit when I can.

Another thing... each week on C25k is different, and some are harder on your body than others. Just when you think "I can do that" your body slaps you around! LOL! Just keep at it and you'll get there!

Carol... LOL - I thought the same thing, then I thought "OMG - how can the human body do that!"

Lyn... What a feeling that must be! However, even with that as a motivator, I don't think I could get up that early to workout. I'm just not a morning person. I'd rather stay up late!

I ran the interval program again, but shortened my "recovery" time to 30sec. This wasn't long enough and I couldn't sustain my high speed. Now I know! Still had a great run.

Hi!

Ok insperation time: A book i would HIGHLY HIGHLY recomend is Ultra Marathon Man by Dean Karnazes. Im nealy done it. Its a huge insperation for running.

Think running 6 miles is painful? This guy has ran 199miles in a row! no rest! Started Friday at 5pm and finished Sunday morning. I know none of us could even think about that kind of distance. But it helps me HUGELY when i hit 5 or 6 miles and start to become a baby in my head about how it hurts.

GOOD READING. You can get it on Amazon.com i am sure.

I just finished Ultra Marathon Man a week ago! Awesome read, it is very inspiring. Make sure you pick up his next book (50/50), my husband just finished it and really liked it too! I haven't started it yet, might get to it this long weekend.

Hi Everyone-

Yay!!! Completed my second day of running this morning. Initially I had thought I would move right on to week 2 after 2 days of week 1 but I think I will do one more day. My next running day is Saturday and I would likely be running in the morning before my audition. So I think it’s best to just to stick to the suggested plan esp since I don't know a lot yet about how running affects my singing.

Whosya I have heard of that book, I may check it out. 199 mi seems insane to me, but what do I know? J (Slinky I am with you… what-he couldn’t make it an even 200? HA!)

Kathy I am glad you mentioned about each week on C25K being different. Now that you mention it, I do remember that from when I was doing the program a few years ago. It’s amazing to see how far you have come, WTG!!!!!

Suzanne, we’ve all had weeks where we struggle… just try to hang in. You have a CRAZY long day, when do you find time for yourself?

LynLyn Good luck on the new job! I admire anyone who can get up at the buttcrack of dawn to exercise!! I don’t live in a neighborhood where I can get up and run in the morning so I have to adjust. Good thing since I am so NOT a morning person.

OK….2 questions. The first I posted on as a ps on my last post so it may have gotten lost….

Those of you that have done 10Ks, how much longer did it take for you to train for those than the 5Ks?

Second, nutrition… any vegetarians on this board? If so, have you noticed any changes you’ve had to make in your intake since running? I have stopped eating meat in the last 6 weeks (except for some occasional fish). I do get a lot of Protein from the veggies I consume but am wondering if anyone else has some experience to share?

Off to NYC tomorrow with DH. Have to sing a few auditions but looking forward to some 1:1 time with him J

Hope everyone is having a great day,

Beanie

I did my 25 minute runs today, no sweat. Actually lots of sweat but it was not as hard as I expected. The C25K program says the 25 min run should be about 2.5 miles but mins was only two miles since I'm running a little on the slow side. Having the nike plus is helping me alot because I can see the small speed gains each run and worry less about the speed walkers on the track passing me. The indoor track I run is 9 laps to a mile and I usally loose track at about 14 laps unless I really concentrate, does anyone have a trick to keeping the number of laps straight in your head during long runs?