Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kaiser Permanente Insurance

Any Richmond Kaiser patients out there who have used Dr. Baggs? What did you think?

Riley

swrktp---At my surgeon appt yesterday, Dr. Fisher told me that the Lapband they use at Kaiser is put on and filled to 30% capacity at surgery. He said it gets started at a faster pace and then they'll do a fill at 10 weeks post-op.

Personally, I'd much rather have a removable, sterile, foreign object in my body than to have a VERY vital organ cut apart in a way that can NEVER be undone. That freaks me out big time. I figure there are so many objects implanted in people's bodies to help and serve as tools: stints, pacemakers, knees, hips, BOOBS...:wink2: just kidding about that one. Anyway, that's the logic I used when trying to decide which surgery to have.

Another thing: what if in 10-15 years it turns out that gastric bypass and the irreversible damage to the stomach ends up being a real bad idea, then what? You can't undo what's been done. With the lapband, if there ends up being a better technology (which there most likely will be) or a problem with the current lapband, it could be possible to remove the lapband and replace it with something else.

I just like the fact that the lapband is not so FINAL. Anyway, don't know if that helps, but it's the way my thinking has been going. :crying:

Riley--Dr. Baggs was the surgeon at our orientation. He went over the 2 surgeries and talked about how they work, the risks, etc. He seemed very "down to business", not that that's a bad thing though!

I have Dr. Fisher, he was one of two people that founded the bariatric dept for Northern CA Kaiser. He was very warm and friendly and he kinda reminded me of my dad.

I'm sure all 4 surgeons are incredibly qualified and I'd be happy to have any of them cut me open. :wink2:

My Richmond Kaiser surgeon said I have a 10 cc band and when I had my first fill there was 1 cc already in the band - left there when they primed it. That isn't 30%. He put 3 more ccs in at my first fill on Oct 6 for a total of 4 ccs. I am supposed to have my second fill in January.

Hmm, that's weird. Dr Fisher told me that it's 30% filled at surgery...maybe it depends on the patient? I don't know why he'd say that if it wasn't true because I'd never know how much was in there in the first place! :wink2:

I finally got my orientation on Tuesday December 16, 2008. They told me due to the Holidays it is the only one this month. Next one is in December. I will be able to start my 1200 diet next week and hope by my surgeons appointment I will be down at least 10 pounds. I would LOVE to have all my appointments done by New Years and Surgury by April!! I hope that is realistic.

Work was not happy to let me off last minute but I offered to work the weekend. Ah the thing we will do once we make up our mind to get banded.

Never thought I would agree to drive 81 miles for doctors appointment. I will be so happy once I get all the appointments done.

So how long did the psych appoint take? The surgeon? I am hoping to get them on the same day and not at 7am!!! LOL. I think the orientation is the worse one and it gets easier from there or so they told me!! I would love to get a cancellation appointment before the new year!!

SWISCH maybe we will be on the same timeline after all. How much have you lost? 9 pounds in two weeks seems like alot!! It this a miracle diet??? Makes me wonder if I could lost 100 pounds this this and not bother with the band...........but alas I know myself and it has never worked before.

The surgeon appt was about 15 minutes. I didn't have to have a gown on or be examined. We just talked.

The psych was about 30 minutes and she was really sweet.

I think if I set my mind to it I could lose 100 lbs...I've lost 50 before. I just don't think I could KEEP IT OFF. That's why I'm having lapband surgery. :rolleyes2:

So at orientation they give you specifics on the 1200 calorie diet? I am a vegetarian so I am a bit worried about the Protein part. I plan to ask alot of questions!! Maybe have to do shakes I don't know yet.

So how is everyone else doing? Anyone going to the December 16, 2008 orientation in Richmond?

Oh is Kaiser in a bad neighborhood. I checked mapquest and it sure does look like this bad area I went through once.

They'll give you LOTS of info about the 1200 calorie diet and it includes vegetarian options too.

Most of Richmond is a bad area, but luckily Kaiser is pretty easy to find. When you take the San Pable/Barrett exit turn right at the light. Go down about 4 miles, it seems FOREVER but it's okay. You'll see Kaiser on your left, it's an older building and doesn't look like a hospital. Turn left and then the next right and it'll take you right to the parking garage.

Just don't take ANY turns for about 4 miles. That's where I went wrong. :rolleyes2: Stay on Barrett.

swrktp... OMG they just called me (Sunday Dec 14th) to let me know my appointment for orientation is on Dec 16th at 7:30am. I am coming clear from Susanville, BIG snow storm here and am kind of freaking out.

Maybe we can meet, as it seems you will be there for the same orientation. I am leaving Susanville by 10 or 11 am on Monday the 15th and spending the night at the Holiday Inn Express in San Pablo, which is about 3.5 miles from Richmond Kaiser. You can call me if you like. I will send you a message with my phone number.

Anyway, I am excited and nervous. Whew! :confused_smile:

Hey ShellBell did you hear anything from Kaiser yet on the next step? So far nothing here. I did call and they said to wait that the next appointment if for 1-3 months out and you will get something in the mail.

So how is your 1200 diet going???

I am still debating between RNY and Lap band. I am starting to be in the middle and hope the surgeon can help me decide.

swrktp - No, I haven't heard anything from Kaiser yet. I really hope we don't have to wait 3 months for an appointment. That is a frustrating time line.

I am not really doing the 1200 yet, at least not full bore. I am trying to be careful, but the holidays are always a bad time for me to over indulge. I expect once the kids leave on Saturday to go to their dad's that I will be ready to give it my all.

Merry Christmas!!!

It goes by faster than you think though I was getting really impatient for my next one. IT was almost 4 months from my nutritionist visit. Strangly enough I am scheduled to see the surgeon. I thought I saw the medical director first to discuss how much weight I need to lose and stuff??

Anyone else have Dr Robert Li as their surgeon?

Hello Minx

I was told that we

1. Orientation

2. Psych appoint

3. surgeon appoint

4. Nutrition class?

5. Case manager appointment

6. pre op

7 surgery

They told me today they are running behind with the lastest group that was oriented on December 16, 2008. The lady who schedules has been out for awhile and that is the reason we didn't get appointments that day and have not heard anything. It has been almost three weeks now......they said she will be catching up next week and we all get a random date which we will get in the mail. They did mention she might call for an appointment but to wait and see.

I have been calling once a week to check in.........

Minx when did you start out?