Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kaiser Permanente Insurance

Oh, yeah that is a Marathon. LOL

I started with orientation 6/5/07 and had surgery on 12/12/07. I had surgery about 2 months ahead of time because of a cancellation. It sounds like some people are taking longer and some are getting through it quicker now. I wonder what makes the difference.

My advice to anyone who is going through the process is once they get through orientation that they should start calling for cancellations. The only "cancellation list" that they have is for surgery. They do not call and try to fill cancellations for any of the other appointments and they are left open until someone calls and checks for them.

Also, loose the weight as quick as possible. After that make sure to maintain or continue to loose. They are sticklers about people who want to fight the system. I was told that they have people knocking down the door to have surgery and they don't have to "bend" the rules for someone who doesn't want to work the program. They also consider this surgery "elective".

I continued to loose because I knew it would put me that much closer to goal when I finally got the band.

Hope that helps!

I'm sorry to pepper you with questions Vicky but what was your preop and postop diets like? How long did they last? I know they will answer that as I get closer but I like to have stuff in my mind to psych up for it.

Hey no worries. I asked a lot of questions, too.

The pre-op diet was basically a 1200 calorie diet. They had you eating approximately 3 - 4 oz of Protein, a bread at at least two of the meals, approximately 6 cups of veggies, a milk at two of the meals and a fruit at two of the meals. They said that if you had more than 4 hours between meals that you should add a snack of one Protein and one fruit. It was really quite a bit of food. Oh and they had you eating 2 - 3 fats also.

As far as the post op diet went, I was on fluids (clear) for only a day or two. When you leave the hospital they have you on full fluids. I think that lasted for a week and then you went to a week of mushies. Usually you have seen the surgeon by this time and he usually graduates you to regular food shortly after that. My surgeon was on vacation so he gave me a schedule to go to regular foods prior to seeing him.

When do you go to orientation?

I did orientation already I think the nutrition 101 is the next apt which is scheduled in 2 weeks. I have my binder and have been endeavoring to make the adjustments to my eating. Its a work in progress.

I was just curious if they had you do a liquid diet prior like it seem a lot of surgeons do and if you were on liquids for a long time after.

No liquid diet prior and liquids for only about a week to a week and a half after. Then it's on to mushies for about a week and then solids added at your comfort.

As a matter of fact, you can go out and have dinner the night before surgery as long as it's befor 5 or 6. No drinking after midnight.

I had my surgery at Richmond Kaiser on 8/26/08. I went to the orientation/nutrition class on May 9, saw the surgeon on June 5, saw the psychologist second week of July, saw the case manager 3rd week of July, went to the pre-op class and post-op nutrition class on Aug 14 and then surgery Aug 26. I don't go back to the surgeon until Oct 6. I did not have to do a liquid diet pre-op - only had to stop eating by 6 pm the night before surgery. I was on Clear Liquids for 3 days after surgery, full liquids until today (almost 3 weeks) and now I will be on pureed for almost 2 weeks, then semi-soft until week 12. I could not get an appointment with my case manager until I had hit my goal weight that the surgeon set. But they used my weight from orientation as the starting weight.

Momof3 do you mind me asking how much they required you to lose?

I weighed 285 at orientation. When I saw the surgeon he told me he wanted me to lose 20 lbs. He had me lay down and looked and felt my upper torso. I thought I would have to lose 10%, but maybe it depends on where you carry your weight?

So heres my latest entry... So I went for my orientation @Kaiser in Panorama City. (In the Valley) anyways as already told, the class was generally geared for the bypass and the sleeve, but a few topics were discussed about the band, like how it not that great a choice, and how not too much weight is loss yadda yadda yadda..... But the real whack shhhhh was the BMI of 50!! That's right..... Can you believe that!!!! What about all this stuff about BMI of 40. With no co-morbiditiesand under 40 with at least two co-morbidities??? What the french-toast??!!!! And I made sure to double check the BMI range, and yes its true.... What am I to do??? Wait a minute Im gonna call them now to triple check on the BMI. Ok well the Educational Nurse said no you dont exactlly have to be at a 50 BMI everyone is different. So what happenes next is that I have to meet with the director of bariatrics, Then the classes start on 11/3. Now mind you, the bariatric director desides if this is a good idea or not... So many hoops to jump through... :) . Here is the marathon I am running, even though my PCP gave my referral only three weeks ago. I guess its day to day with Kaiser....

That is weird I think in my area it is BMI 40 or comorbidies.

Momcof3 I just realized you went from orientation to band in like three months that is really great. What did you do to manage to lose the 20lbs you needed to lose in that time?

So is it safe to assume that only Kaiser So Cal requires its patients to do a 6 month pre op diet? Because it seems as if you guys get in and get out real quick, and from what I gathered at my orientation last night, is that I meet with the bariatric director within the next month then The pre-op nutritional classes start on the 3rd of November, no time sooner, so Im lookin at, at least late April/early May when classes are complete, then they said surgery is at least a month and a half later, soooooo Im talkin JULY!!!! Geeze Louise!!!! Marathon to say the least!!!! SO CAL KAISER is full of it!!! But the good thing is at least you will be fully commited and ready to have a wonderful life change, with all the time that it takes.. If anybody agrees/dissagrees please feel free to give your outlook on the timeframe.

Thanks

Boopie From what I've heard we are not required to do the 6 month diet although my understanding is it can take up to a year from referral to get all the required apts done and of course whatever weight they need you to lose. Which is why I was pleasantly suprised to see how quickly Momcof3 got hers done. Gives me hope. I might be banded by years end. :)

Anyone else? I have to attend one seminar and a 14-week class before my PCP will see me. So do they weigh me at the first class and my 10% is from there? Also, I don't eat meat and would rather not start again . . . . has anyone else managed post-band with just alternative Protein sources like tofu, soy Protein, cheeses, eggs?

Finally . . . . how have you all lost your 10%??

Thanks!

Riley

Anyone else? I have to attend one seminar and a 14-week class before my PCP will see me. So do they weigh me at the first class and my 10% is from there? Also, I don't eat meat and would rather not start again . . . . has anyone else managed post-band with just alternative Protein sources like tofu, soy Protein, cheeses, eggs?

Finally . . . . how have you all lost your 10%??

Thanks!

Riley

Hi Riley!

I don't know about the way you're having to do it. Seems different in a small way for all of us. I saw my PCP, he sent me to seminar and then I started a 20 session class. We were weighed at seminar and that was our starting weight. I can't see it being much different for you. That's when you start working on your 10%. Don't start before they weigh you!

Search on here for vegetarians. I know there are a lot on here. I'm pretty sure I've seen threads for it. You should be okay as long as your getting your protein in.

My classes were all about teaching us all over again, how to eat, count calories, etc. In my area they put you on a 1200 calories a day diabetic diet. We had to work to get down to the 1200 throughout the class and they weighed us each class and that's how they tracked how we were doing.

Best wishes!

Thanks Heartfire! It DOES seem a little different for all of us, when I look back on this I'm sure I will see it differently that the overwhelming quagmire that it seems right now! it's good to know that they weigh me in there, it actually sounds like a really good series - and it's required for either or the surgeries - but they didn't say anything about when I weigh in or how much I need to lose or anything. I'm glad I don't have to go weigh in with my PCP again real soon tho! It crushes me every time. With His grace, with His grace. . . . . . .

:-) great days & eves all!

Riley