Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kaiser Permanente Insurance

Thanks Heartfire! I'm going to have to tell my daughter to get back with the program. She has been waiting for them to start having some of the stuff done up here. The kids only have one car so it's hard for her to run down to SSF all the time. This is great news. Maybe by the time you guys have surgery they will do them in your areas too. Keep me posted on any new information so I can pass it on to her. I know that there is one person on another board that had orientation in January and was banded in early June. That's quicker than what they were projecting by the end of last year. Hopefully they will get this squared around.

Glad I could be of help. I know that I got so frustrated while going through the program and was happy because I knew a couple of people who had gone through it prior and could give me a few tips.

Let me know how your journey progresses. I'm thrilled with my band.

Thank you so much everyone for all the wonderful information. I have another question that came to mind. I don't really want a bypass I want a band. My PCP said that the surgeon makes the ultimate decision on weather its bypass or band. What has been other Kaiser pt's experience here. Did you just tell the Dr you wanted the band over bypass?

That's a crock. They may suggest and maybe strongly but they will do what you want. If you go in telling them that your major problem is sweets or that you're a grazer they will suggest the bypass. If you tell them you eat quantity they will be ok with the band. But it is your decision. Don't let them push you around.

Great TY for the response!

Okay, lost my post, let's try this again!

Vicki, have your DD call her local bariatric surgery dept and see what they are requiring. We're all still in transition so I don't know what any of the others are doing, just Fresno.

Wow! That other person got through fast! How exciting!

Since the band is coming to Fresno at the end of the year (hope!) I've decided to stay with the Fresno program. It's just so much closer and I was looking at banding about spring-time anyway (based on the projections I was hearing from people about going the the bay area) sooo even if I don't get banded til then, just the logistics make so much more sense for me. AND if I can get banded sooner, all the better!!

And Minxz, I agree with Vicki, unless the surgeon finds something that would prohibit the surgery your going after, they will put you through. Even if they try to talk you out of it, if you're serious and have done your research and are determined, they'll give you the surgery you want.

Best advice for any of you, no matter your insurance, is to be your own advocate. Make the phone calls if you haven't heard anything, keep in contact with the people you have phone numbers for. E-mail your PCP to ask him where things are in the process, etc. Stay on top of it without being a PITA and you'll get through just fine, if not a little faster. And you will get through faster than those people who are just wanting for phone calls and not losing their weight.

Yes, I actually do live right in Fresno, so the drive for me luckily won't be bad at all. My job however can be demanding and may have some trouble arranging all the appointments and classes that are to come. But, I know I can figure it out. My problem is, asking for the time off when needed without raising too many questions. I work in a small office and my sister also works on the same property... so, it should be interesting trying to dodge any questions that may arise. I'm just not ready to confide in anyone other than my husband right now. I'll be ready to talk more about it freely when it gets closer to "D" day.

You also mentioned getting some other stuff out of the way while I'm waiting "if my PCP is on board". I really don't know if she is on board to be honest. I don't have a strong relationship with her. I've had this insurance for about a year and a half and the first time I saw her was in February of this year for a bad cold. Lately, I've been having bad pain in my feet - completely unbearable in the mornings when I get up. So, I made an appointment with her a couple weeks ago and found out I have plantarfacitis (sp?). While I was there, I decided to ask her how I find out more information about weight loss surgery. As soon as I mentioned it, she raised her eyebrows at me and told me "that was a pretty drastic decision and most people who have it done usually weight 100 lbs more than I do" I then told her that I'm already over 100 lbs overweight as it is and that my BMI meets the required amount needed to be considered for this type of procedure. After that, she really didn't have much more to say except to ask her assistant to make me an appointment for the orientation. The only thing positive I got out of that conversation was that she preferred the "idea" of lap band over GB and that there may be a surgeon coming here that does it.

Now, I'm afraid to ask her anymore information for fear of rejection. Any idea's on how to handle it or how I should approach her? I've thought about emailing her to ask more questions, but I really don't know what to say.

Thanks again for all the information that's been provided. I hope I'm not becoming a nuisance asking so many questions! I'm really enjoying connecting with people going through the same thing!

Have a wonderful evening everyone!:(

I work in a small office and my sister also works on the same property... so, it should be interesting trying to dodge any questions that may arise. I'm just not ready to confide in anyone other than my husband right now.

First, it's no one's business at work. You just tell them you're finally starting to take of yourself and getting routine appts taken care of, if you MUST say something at all.

I made an appointment with her a couple weeks ago and found out I have plantarfacitis (sp?).

I have Plantar Fasciitis too. I also have bottom of the heal spurs b/c of it. I have a very large back of the heal spur that's giving me most of my foot pain now. Believe it or not but spurs on the bottom of the foot actually make the PF feel better and not flare up so much. The Plantar Fascia doesn't have to stretch as much b/c the spur fills in the space some.

Now, I'm afraid to ask her anymore information for fear of rejection. Any idea's on how to handle it or how I should approach her? I've thought about emailing her to ask more questions, but I really don't know what to say.

Just e-mail her and ask her to refer you to the nutritionist and the psych departments for WLS. You'd like to proceed and need her for the referrals. Once those appts are done and you've done the orientation, you then need to e-mail her and ask her to go ahead and send the referral to the bariatric surgery dept. If she was that set against it, she wouldn't have sent you to orientation. Don't be hesitant, be assertive (be nice about it) and just tell her you're doing your research and would like to proceed. Simple as that.

Thanks again for all the information that's been provided. I hope I'm not becoming a nuisance asking so many questions!

You're welcome and no you're not. We've all been newbies at some point and we all have questions. The only stupid question is the one that's never asked! You don't learn if you don't ask! And no matter how long we've been in the process, we all still have questions at some point.

Well, I emailed my pcp this afternoon (slow day at work) and she got back to me quickly. She even gave me a website and and suggestions for my plantar fasciitis. However, as far as getting the nutricion and psych out of the way now... it's a no go. Here is what she said:

You should go to the class and start the Weight Management Class before you go to Nutrition counseling or the psychologist. There is no way to "short-cut" the process. It takes time to relearn our eating habits. My patients who have taken the time to go through the process have done very well.

Oh well, I tried. I'll just sit back patiently. I really don't mind taking it slow.

I have a question about the psych evaluation. On the record I have no depression but I do go through bad bouts sometimes. Usually they are easy to trace to factors in my life that are overwhelming me. I almost went to the therapy department a little over a year ago for a bout of depression that lasted about 6 months. I'm hitting another stretch right now. It's making really hard for me to concentrate on my weight loss efforts in preparation for my interview with the Medical Director. All I want to do is sleep its so hard to concentrate on eating right and exercising when I feel like this. So my question is this... If I did choose to go to therapy with Kaiser while I'm in the process of getting the Lap Band does that mean I will "flunk" the psych evaluation?

I don't know for sure but I know that my daughter had some problems with depression and they wanted her to go to some sort of classes. I tried to call her prior to responding but she didn't answer. Whatever the reason for them requiring this it has caused her to not be able to go further into the process until she completes the classes.

Having said that, you are the only one that can determine if this is something that you need to address immediately. I would never advocate putting off help even for the band. I too have suffered from mild depression now and again but like you I can usually find out what's going on. If I were in your position, I would have to do some soul searching and determine what is the most pressing right now. If the depression is taking over your life, you should probably get the help. They will put the band in but it might be delayed.

HI! I've been so scattered-brained lately with all the excitement, I forgot to come back here and tell you all the news! I am having surgery on AUGUST 25TH!!!!! I meet with the surgeon on Friday and I also start an all liquid, high Protein diet that day.

SG, you start class tomorrow night! I graduate! I've lost 17 of the 23 pounds that I needed for the 10% (we'll see what the total is after tomorrow night). Surgery doesn't care unless I gain weight, which I will NOT do. I personally want that 10% before surgery. So, look for me. I usually sit with 2 other gals in front to the left side of the room. My name is Michelle and am in the green group. See you tomorrow night!!

Congratulations! Your surgery is just around the corner... that's very exciting! Are you at all nervous too? I know I would be. I hope everything goes smooth for you. :biggrin:

I'll see you at class tonight! I've been enjoying the class so far. I'm just struggling with applying what we learn... especially in the evenings! I need to get my head on straight! I didn't know we were in different color groups. My name tag thingy is Yellow... Does that put me in the yellow group? LoL. My name is Chealyn (Shea-lyn) I think I put Chea on my name tag.

Uh oh.. think I'm late getting ready for work... Talk to you later.. and congrats again.

Are there any other people on the board right now running the Kaiser Marathon? Anyone going to SSF? Where are you in the program?

I meant the whole process to get surgery :embaressed_smile: