Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kaiser Permanente Insurance

Can anyone explain to me about the procedure when you see the doctor for the first time, before the 24 for week program? What does it intail what do they cover with you? And then after i see him, what do i need to do, to speed the process up afterwords before the class begins- thanks for your help.

Can anyone explain to me about the procedure when you see the doctor for the first time, before the 24 for week program? What does it intail what do they cover with you? And then after i see him, what do i need to do, to speed the process up afterwords before the class begins- thanks for your help.

If you mean your PCP, there isn't really anything about it til you get into the program. You talk to you PCP and ask them to refer you to the seminar. His/her nurse can sign you up for the class. You can't do it yourself (at least that's how it worked for me). Once you go to seminar and start the class, then things start to move a little. Like Riley said, seems like you're in a quagmire. Things will happen fast then practically stop for awhile. The only constant is the classes! Some surgeons will go to the seminar but in our area they don't. You don't see the surgeons til they either come speak to the class and/or you see them in their surgeons' seminar before you have surgery. Not every place does the surgeons' seminar. Some just have appoitments with patients. Depends on how many are going through at the same time and how often they do them.

If you have any more questions, or I totally didn't answer your original question, please holler! have a good day!

Well, I have my Psych and Nutrition appointments next week and was kind of curious what to expect. Especially the Psych appt. Do they test you or just ask questions. I'm really not all that worried about it, I'm just being nosey! I had my appt scheduled for 9/30/08 and they cancelled it. Now it's set for 10/8/08. AND my stop smoking date (DH too) is 10/4/08. So, today I'm a smoker - tomorrow a non-smoker! I'm so happy about that! Have always hated being a smoker, but love to smoke. Stupid I know. Anyway, just imagine what kind of a nut case I'm going to look like for the Psych without having a cig for 4 days! :tongue:

Thanks in advance for your input!

P.S. heartfire - congrats to you! Your doing such a great job! Keep it up!:tongue:

I completed my nutrition apt this week. Basically she wanted to know if I was applying myself to the program (the eating plan in the binder). If I was taking my Vitamins, exercising and had read and become familiar with the binder. She asked if I had any questions. It mostly seemed like a compliancy check.

Additionally someone asked about being weighed. So far every apt I have gone on I have been weighed.

Minxz,

Thank you for the information. I see that you've also had a sleep study. I haven't heard anything about our area requiring that you have it done. I wonder if the surgeon will require it. I've never been tested, but I know I have sleep apnea. My husband tells me that I scare him sometimes because I quit breathing for a little bit.

Anyway, thanks again and good luck to you on your journey!

I am not sure if it is required but it was highly recommended. The medical director said that if you have sleep apnea and are not being treated for it, You might clamp down on the breathing tube and have to be in ICU until they can get the muscles to release. She said she wanted everyone on their CPAP for 2 months prior to the surgery.

It also is an additional co-morbidity that adds weight to your referral.

Hi Kaiser Ladies!

I also have Kaiser, going thru SSFrancisco, I live north of Sac/Roseville.

Have been going thru the process for about a year now, and have a surgery date...Nov. 12th! I am excited yet, still studying, and working to prepare well before, as well as for after.

So I am not there yet, but, I have been sleeping with a CPAP for several years. It really has made a difference, and boy do I deep dream sleep sometimes! Just a thought tho, realizing it is not the just the quality of sleep, although you def have more rems with the CPAP, ultra important, but also the quantity. I used to think 5-6 hrs was sufficient, but, read and have now seen the difference...that how important the 7-8 hours are, simply because our bodies release a certain hormone that actually causes the body to burn the fat more effectively, if not enough (or deep enough) sleep, our bodies won't let go of the weight. Hope this helps, and I wish each of you success on this journey! I also enjoy reading your stories and great posts! Have a blessed day of healthy choices! Roseyyyd1:redface:

Hi Rose I am in SSF as well. Still have a ways to go. Mind me asking if they made you lose the full 10% I am anxious to see what I have to lose before I can proceed. I am of course working on it already about 1/3 of the way there if they want the full 10%.

Hi Minxs...what a great picture!

Yes, they have, and when they record your weight each time, it goes onto a graph, that Dr. Alami showed me on my first surgeon appt. So it shows any consistency in losing, also the ups and downs. So you are going thru SSF? Is that where you are? My case manager (nurse) is Susan D. and she is great! On a trip down there, I combined (emailed her & asked) an appt with her with a class after it. It was so helpful, just going thru the process and questions and anything you can think of with her!

Calling the appt number, and just asking (nicely) if there are any appts available of what your next one is, helps. Which is why I asked, if you are local to there..because a short notice of an appt available, would work, if you don't have to drive 2 hrs to get there (like me!) Not to get your hopes up, but sometimes you can call or talk to someone at just the right time. They really try hard and work with those who are committed to the program, motivated to do what it takes, but not just fastrack for surgery.

Hope this helps, are u are having a blessed day, has the rain hit there yet? Roseyyyd1 :lol:

I haven't met my case nurse yet. My next apt will either be the one with the medical director where I'm told how much I need to lose or for the psychiatric evaluation.

I am assigned to South San Francisco. Its pretty far for me about 90 miles but you do what you gotta do lol.

My last apt was with Diane Vecchi the Nutritionist.

Hi again Minxz (sorry for sp last post)

That is great, you are on your way, the nutrionist, she give you a Pre-op Plan for food? That will really help with the 10% and prepare well for the surgery. Sounds like you may be south then, SJ? Perhaps we will meet up there someday!

So you can try to call and ask for appt with Med Dir., also for Nurse Susan as case manager, also, I would always ask for appts (if possible) together so I could not spend as much on gas. Just suggestions to possibly help it to be a little smoother for you. Would enjoy hearing your updates and any other questions! Reading the book through, thoroughly, really helps, I did at first, and now again in prep for surgery, still learning so much!

Other books I have & still reading...Khaliah Ali's book (Fighting Weight), one by Sewell/Rohrborough, and going to get Phat Finish by Hathaway.

Also the Mindful Eating class (after Pscyh appt) is really helpful.

Will chat again! Roseyyyd1 :)

I will have to look those books up. I've read the binder beginning to end and have been doing a lot of research on the lapband. I will start calling to see if there are any cancellations. I really hope to be ready to proceed beginning of next year!!

SG, Thanks! I have to change the WL total to ADD 1.1! I gained this week! I think the swelling has gone down and I've been hungry this week. Not too out of control yet but...

I go for my first fill on Tuesday. I'm hoping it helps. Psych for me was easy. Of course I wasn't trying to quit smoking either! Best wishes with that! And very cool that DH is quitting with you!

For my psych I had to fill out a questionnaire (lots and lots of pages and repeated questions) then talk to the psych for a few minutes. The guy I had was great, I don't know about the others.

How's class going? Tell Peggy I said "Hi" if you think about it. I keep meaning to call her to let her know if anyone has any questions they can e-mail me. Are they talking more about banding now? They basically didn't discuss it much unless one of US brought it up. And then they usually didn't have an answer.

Take care!

You know, they still really don't talk about it much. A few weeks ago we had guest speakers who had the bypass done, and one person who had the lap band done a month before. She tried to answer the questions the best she could but she was still so new and had never really considered banding until the surgeon mentioned it to her. Peggy even mentioned that she doesn't have a lot of info yet either. My own opinion (which is most likely wrong) it feels like most of the people in the class, and the nutritionist who came to speak as well, are not interested in banding because you don't lose as quickly as bypass and diabetes wont disappear over night like it will with bypass. I really hope the surgeon comes and talks about it more just so they can have more information about it and be able to weigh their options better.

I'll be sure to tell Peggy "hi" for you. She is great. Her dog died a couple weeks ago though. I felt so bad for her.:angry:

Anyway, thanks for the information. Hope everything goes well with your fill. Be sure to post about it, I'd like to know how it goes!

You know, they still really don't talk about it much. A few weeks ago we had guest speakers who had the bypass done, and one person who had the lap band done a month before. She tried to answer the questions the best she could but she was still so new and had never really considered banding until the surgeon mentioned it to her. Peggy even mentioned that she doesn't have a lot of info yet either. My own opinion (which is most likely wrong) it feels like most of the people in the class, and the nutritionist who came to speak as well, are not interested in banding because you don't lose as quickly as bypass and diabetes wont disappear over night like it will with bypass. I really hope the surgeon comes and talks about it more just so they can have more information about it and be able to weigh their options better.

I'll be sure to tell Peggy "hi" for you. She is great. Her dog died a couple weeks ago though. I felt so bad for her.:angry:

Anyway, thanks for the information. Hope everything goes well with your fill. Be sure to post about it, I'd like to know how it goes!

I agree most people aren't interested in banding b/c of the speed of WL.

I really need to talk to Peggy. I'm certainly no expert but I've done so much research, I could probably help if anyone has questions. They also need to let people know about this site. This has been a huge help to me when I couldn't get information anywhere else. I hate speaking in front of people but if it would help others, I'd be willing. <shaking in my boots!>

If you're in touch with anyone in class who wants to be banded and has questions, direct them here and have them PM me, or you could PM me with their e-mail address. I'd feel bad if people either gave up on surgery all together or if they decided to have bypass when they didn't really want to go that route, especially if it's something I can help with.

There was a lady that started class the same time I did. She wanted LB but they talked so much about bypass that she quit and decided not to have surgery at all. She was afraid of the side effects of bypass and thought LB was the same. I tried to tell her it was different but she wasn't doing any research on her own (I even wrote this site down for her), just listening to what Peggy was teaching in class. NOTHING against Peggy. I really like her and like she says, even she doesn't know much about LB.

I'm so sorry her dog died! How sad! Was it old-age or something else? UGH! I've had so many over the years, add cats to that too, it's a wonder I keep getting animals! Although after our last cat (we had to put him down), I put my foot down and no more cats for awhile. Now we just have our dog. I'm thinking, after she goes, I'm done for awhile. Of course, I say that now! LOL! More than likely some little cute puppy will catch one of our eyes and we'll be pet parents again! LOL!

Have a good weekend!