Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who's Getting Banded in July?

I agree with Orea and Lyn - we're in the healing phase right now. The other thing to remember is that this is not the magic bullet. The band is a tool. The optimum weight loss is only supposed to be an average of 1 -2 pounds a week. I know we all wish for more, but that is the reality.

Hi

i was banded July 24th i have lost 12 oounds including two week preop diet i seem to be stuck its been 13 days since surgery - i have been walking but still have gas and pain - very frustrated i do all this and im stuck already andim only on liquids!!!!!!! this was my fear that it would not work

:wink_smile:

Frypan, I am not sure how much you have to lose, but everyone is different and will lose accordingly.

I was banded on July 22th. I weighed almost 10lbs heavier after surgery, but it went away, finally. I saw my dr today, and I have lost over the course of the liquid diet for 3 weeks pre-op, and one week post-op, plus a week of mushies, 4.6 lbs per week! That is a total on 23lbs. That is also with some heavy shoes on. On my scales at home I have lost between 23-27 lbs.

I was fortunate not to have gas pain after the first week. Tomorrow I am starting to Water walk, as I have terrible arthritis.

Don't give up and give in to the frustration. The lap-band has worked in millions of patients. It is only a tool to help, the rest is up to us.

Have a sugar-free ice pop!:thumbup:

Frypan,

I was banded the same day as you. The gas pains had me in tears, so I totally feel your pain. This week has been better, but just yesterday, I felt that familiar pain under my rib cage and in my shoulder. Make sure you stand up and move about. I also found that if the pain was in my left side, I would lie on my left side--it really helped!!

As for weight loss. . . I track everything on fitday.com I was told to have 600-800 calories a day. 60g of Protein, at least 10g of fat, and no more than 100g of carbs. Fitday is very helpful--they do the counting for you!

Best wishes!!!

We are 9 days post op. Feeling great. The funny thing is, other people are watching me as if they expect me to look totally different right after surgery. don't really have an appetite. Me and my husband are still doing mainly liquids. I found alot of low fat Soup recipes, that is what is basically getting us through it. Last night for dinner I made white chil (low fat) it's delicious. The rest of the day we drink Protein shakes, Protein Water, and crystal light.

fry, I have a no fail recipe for you and the fish. It will be moist, flavorful, fail proof and quick.

Take any type of fish and make individual fish pockets. I take parchment paper, heat the oven to 350. In each pocket I put onion, garlic, green onion (anything really) , put the fish on top, then top the fish with some type of moisture (fist stock, white wine, soy sauce, oyster sauce, anything) I used a combo of soy sauce, sesame oil and chili sauce. Wrap the paper up and bake for 15 minutes:thumbup:

People just don't understand the difference between the band and the bypass. I tend to tell them that it will help me lose 1-2 pounds per week, as if I were doing something like WW. I might add that it can take months to get the band adjusted right for the process to start.

Educating the world, one person at a time! :thumbup::wink_smile:

Orea

Frypan,

I actually gained weight the week after surgery! All that gas and bloating and swelling...but at 2 weeks post op, the scales are moving. A little. Don't get discouraged...this does work! We need to give our bodies a chance to adjust to not getting all the food it expects, so that it starts using the fat stores.

I find that the days I drink lots of Water, I feel better, and I feel like I'm losing inches by the way my clothes fit. The gas pain eases, too, with enough fluids.

I was able to start walking on the treadmill again on Sunday, and I feel better every day.

Hang in there, drink lots of water, and walk, walk, walk for those gas pains!

You're gonna look awesome in a few months!

Hi

thank you all for your encouragement and the great fish idea - will try that when i can eat solids- i still have no lost any more but i feel better and have regained my positive outlook for this - I have been walking everyday and i need to keep drinking the Water -

thank you all for being so supportive i think i just needed a group hug so to speak ( a bit hormonal i think that has been interfering as well)

Fry

xx:thumbup:

I was banded exactly 3 weeks ago today. I feel outstanding, but my scales are stuck at 181.

I am exercising, eating better, great attitude, and trying to maintain some portion control(this is my biggest challenge)

I have not re-measured myself, but I know I am losing inches - I feel it.

You are right; it is a time for healing and we are in it for the long haul. We are so use to instant gratification; but good things come to those who wait:sneaky:

I am soooo looking forward to new numbers. Every moring I think today will be 179 but alas, still 181. OK, I will "keep on truckin" (a product of the 70's).:thumbup:

Me too!!! I am stuck. I got advice from Indiogirl on the thread"mentor, I am here for you". She gave me good advice and I am going to stay off the scales for three days. I am walking every morning and eating less than a 1000 calories a day. Our bodies are still adjusting. We just have to keep on keepin on. :thumbup::thumbup::)

Forget about the numbers Lynlynker... you feel outstanding, you are exercising, you are eating better, you have a great attitude, and you are maintaining Portion Control. These are all positive things and a foundation for a lifetime of success. Throw the scale away and only weigh yourself when you visit the doctor.

I think not losing is common. I have complained on this thread about it and I weighed myself last Saturday expecting something and got nothing. So I am not going to weigh weekly and maybe not for a long time. It makes me depressed and I think why did I do this. I will just keep truckin and make sure I am making good choices for myself.

BUT............ Last night we were having fish. I hate fish. Don't know why and it caused me anxiety knowing we were going to cook it and I was going to try to eat it. I wanted my husband to try it first and he said he did when he didn't. I knew it and it caused a scene. I am just sooo deep into this eating disorder that I couldn't get a grip on myself! I ended up crying and not eating for awhile. I ended up eating something else much later when my stomach was throwing a big fit.

The journey we have been talking about is just starting. I will for sure have a lot more moments but sooner or later I am going to win over the FOOD!

truediva, I tried your fish recipe a little while ago, it was great. thanks for sharring. :)

glad you liked it. I have plenty of recipes. I love to cook and have learned to adapt most of the recipes into low fat versions. Last night I made white chili, it was delicious

I need advice! I was banded July 9th....ONE MONTH AGO TODAY! And I saw my nutritionist the other day....she said I was losing TOO MUCH weight too fast.................................what? I have followed the guidelines perfectly....done everything in my power....and she said I need to add a snack or two during the day. Im confused I must admit. She said I may not get my first fill if this keeps up. But I am only eating my 3/4 of a cup at a meal, getting my 64oz of Water a day....BUT I am hungry ALL THE TIME! Isnt that what the fill is for? To help you NOT feel hungry after your 3/4 of a cup of food? I am lost...my fill is SUPPOSED to be on the 22nd...what do I do???

Josh

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

event.png

weight.png

Band Date: July 9th, 2008

Surgeon: Dr. Jeff Baker

Insurance: Medica

Heaviest Weight: 315.5

Current Weight: 260 lbs.

Goal Weight: 185 lbs.

Freedom is only a word until it is upheld by the roots of its meaning….. CONGRATS TO ALL THE JULY BANDSTERS!

Call Dr. Baker ASAP and communicate to him your concerns!

I need advice! I was banded July 9th....ONE MONTH AGO TODAY! And I saw my nutritionist the other day....she said I was losing TOO MUCH weight too fast.................................what?Josh

You do seem to be losing a heck of a lot of weight fast. It cant hurt to add in two Snacks a day like we had on Nutrisystem or low gi diet. One could be either Protein OR dairy and one was strictly protein. These will probably not affect your weight loss, but they will keep you from getting hungry. Some favorites were two hebrew National fat free hot dogs, fried in the skillet in Pam to not add oil. a slice of turkey bacon and a fried egg, lite laughing cow cheese (35 calories) and some yogurt/cottage cheese or turkety pepporini slices. Pop the pepporoni slices in the microwave in lots of napkins or paper towels to cook them crisp fast. You can have about a dozen of them and the cheese I think, have to go figure out the package. 15 slices is a serving.

an extra 200 calories of mostly protein a day will probably fuel your weight loss and help build more muscle for continuing to lose faster. It will also keep your metabolism from dropping to fuel future weight loss.

I would also insist on a fill. Tell them you dont want to do this on your own. I would fuss.