Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who's Getting Banded in July?

Oh my gosh!! I can't believe that some have to eat only a cup or less in food! I was never told this. Any one else? Did you get told that are to make sure you were not over eating? Help Please!

Josh, way to go! You are young, you will probably lose it faster than some other people who are older. Glad to hear from you!

I was told to only eat 1/2 to 1 cup at each meal. it does seem to fill me, i just get hungry about 3 to 4 hours later.

I was told no more than a cup at a time. I was banded July 16th. No fill until Sept 2nd. I physically could eat more, but I am concerned about stretch my little pouch! I am hanging on by my nails until my fill!!!!!

I finally did it!! I was banded on July 2nd and it wasn't bad at all. I wish I did it last year. The only problem I had was on July 12 I started running a fever and thought my port site was infected. I called my surgeon and he said that was ok. I still felt bad so I decieded to go to the er. My temp was 102 and blood pressure was 158/108. They admited me and ran several test. Come to find out I had an infection in the first 6 in of my colon. My surgeon thinks it was caused by the antibotics they gave me during surgery faught away bactria that my body needed. That was weird but I feel better. I have no restriction which is not good but I will get my first feel Aug 28th. Whats bothering me is that I havent lost much weight. But iam glad iam now about of the the band!!$:)

I was told no more than a cup at a time. I was banded July 16th. No fill until Sept 2nd. I physically could eat more, but I am concerned about stretch my little pouch! I am hanging on by my nails until my fill!!!!!

I was told no more than four ounces! I'm doing it, but I'm having more than 3 "meals" a day. I refuse to be hungry any more than necessary. I'd rather have more, smaller meals and protect my pouch for now, while things are healing.

carmille, sorry to hear of your trouble and i'm really glad your feeling better. good luck on your fill. can't wait till i get one or two or how ever many it takes to find that sweet spot so i can get this party started.

Hi Camille,

I was banded on July 2 as well! Sorry to hear about your infection but glad you're doing well now. I'm doing good with my band. I'm excited that my first fill will be this Wed. Not sure how much they will fill me because I do already have some restriction. I find I can't eat nearly as much as I used to eat, not that I would anyway. I don't really understand that because I know the band is not supposed to have any saline in it from surgery, but I'm greatful that I can't eat too much. Good luck to you in your continued journey, and to everyone out there as well!

Lisa :)

I too was told no more than 1 cup at a sitting. I do get hungry so I have several small meals (sometimes its just SF pudding) during the day. Having more than 1 cup could stretch the pouch.

I am 2 1/2 weeks post op, in the soft/mushy diet phase, and am only allowed 1/4 cup of food, three times a day, with 8 ozs of Protein Drink mid morning and in the evening. I have not felt hungry until the last couple of days, and find that I can have Kellog's Protein Water, or add Crystal lite to water, and not feel hungry. I do have SF pudding, or unsweetened applesauce a couple of times a week, between meals, but I don't do that every day.

I know a lot of my hunger is not physical need for food, so I'm trying my best to not let emotional food choices become the driving force in my food plan.

My guidelines said try to keep to 1/2 a cup at each meal and to eat 6 small 1/2 meals a day if I'm getting hungry. I'm getting hungry and so I'm doing the 6 small meals. I could easily eat more than half a cup and I'm sure sometimes that I do. Stretching the new stomach pouch is the main issue I believe.

For all our angsting over these issues I do note that most of us are on the downward trend re weightloss, albeit at various paces of loss. Well done to us!!!!:)

I saw my surgeon on Wednesday. She was very pleased with my progress and my healing. I asked her about the amount and type of food I should be eating now and told her I was experiencing hunger. She told me 1 cup per meal, soft regular food is fine: if I am not nauseated or vomiting and as tolerated. She cleared me for any type of exercise. As far as hunger; make sure I keep my solid foods and liquids seperate and get about 70 grams of Protein a day with 800-1000 calories a day. She expects to be pretty aggressive with the first fill under floroscope.

I am all for agressive fills.

I asked her about stretch my pouch. She said the band will hurt you before you can hurt it. You will be very uncomforatable when you over eat and you will learn your limits. It is a learning process and learning the "full" sensation before you are Thanksgiving stuffed is key.

I have been carrying a measuring cup in my purse, to give me a visual look for a cup of food at work, eating out and eating at home. It really has helped.:)

I saw my surgeon on Wednesday. She was very pleased with my progress and my healing. I asked her about the amount and type of food I should be eating now and told her I was experiencing hunger. She told me 1 cup per meal, soft regular food is fine: if I am not nauseated or vomiting and as tolerated. She cleared me for any type of exercise. As far as hunger; make sure I keep my solid foods and liquids seperate and get about 70 grams of Protein a day with 800-1000 calories a day. She expects to be pretty aggressive with the first fill under floroscope.

I am all for agressive fills.

I asked her about stretch my pouch. She said the band will hurt you before you can hurt it. You will be very uncomforatable when you over eat and you will learn your limits. It is a learning process and learning the "full" sensation before you are Thanksgiving stuffed is key.

I have been carrying a measuring cup in my purse, to give me a visual look for a cup of food at work, eating out and eating at home. It really has helped.:)

I eat out of a ramekin.....it is approx 1 cup. When is your first fill? I go on the 21st for mine.

My first fill is Sept 2nd. I really need it. I lost another pund when I weighed in this morning.

Evening eating habits are hardest for me. I am used to coming home from work and stuffing everything I can find into my mouth before my DH gets home. Then we would eat dinner!! No wonder I got in the shape I was in! Can't do it now; but I have to admit it is still my hardest time of the day. I think I will try drinking a Protein drink on the way home from work (About 45 minute drive) to ward off the mind hunger!

Are you ready for your first fill?

My first fill is Sept 2nd. I really need it. I lost another pund when I weighed in this morning.

Evening eating habits are hardest for me. I am used to coming home from work and stuffing everything I can find into my mouth before my DH gets home. Then we would eat dinner!! No wonder I got in the shape I was in! Can't do it now; but I have to admit it is still my hardest time of the day. I think I will try drinking a Protein drink on the way home from work (About 45 minute drive) to ward off the mind hunger!

Are you ready for your first fill?

That must be hard waiting so long on your first fill and being so hungry. My surgery was Aug. 4th, my first fill is scheduled for Aug. 26th. Your story of eating after work sounds just like I use to be. I would come home, come to my computer to check emails, and eat chips, my favorite snack. Hang in there, stay busy doing something when you get the urge to snack. Drinking your Protein Drink on your way home is a great idea, I do the same.

lynlynkr,

I have been reading your latest posts and they sound like what I am going through. I am getting my first fill on the 27th Aug. I feel like I have no control. I wasn't told to eat only a cup of food or anything like that. I haven't lost 1 lb since surgery. actually I have gained 2 lbs. Getting depressed although they told me not to worry about it till my first fill under fluoroscopy. So I am trying to hang in there but it was a disappointment not losing after the surgery. I have also had pain in my mid abdomen sometimes first thing in the morning. Sometimes later. It scares me because I don't know what is causing it. Reading your post has made me feel like things will fall into place. Not losing has made me lose motivation on the weight loss journey. I have even stopped getting on line because its not so much fun when you are gaining weight. Won't touch my "ticker" till it shows a downward slope.

I hope things go well for you after your first fill.

Marilia