Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm here to help...

Hi all, I've been catching up with all the posts since I was here.. You all have been busy.. Good job to those who were able to make all the right choices over the holiday.. I did pretty well myself.. I did fudge a bit and had some chips and dip as a snack after supper during fireworks.... BUT, I'm not doing so well otherwise... Woke up at 1:15 Sunday morning with horrible pain in my shoulders and chest and back... Not the same as the last time, but similar... The pain was so bad and I was very afraid that it was another episode like the last when I almost died... So off to the ER for me... They called my doc and did all the CT's and tests and he couldn't find anything wrong.. They shot me up with morphine for the pain and I relaxed... But no answer as to why... and it started again last night, so I took a pain killer and it got better... I'm just not sure what is going on... I did have a fill a week ago and things have been fine.. I'm trying to figure it out but haven't yet.. I'm hoping it will just pass and let me be back to normal... I did lose another pound and that is good news... Sorry I can't write more.. I'll be back when I feel better... TTYL........... Julie

Cheri, thanks for that information about the Water aerobics. My gym offers a class each weekday, and I would not mind sticking around after each class to walk in the Water a bit. In 2002 I had 2 surgeries on the left knee - arthroscopic in March, and replacement that December. The doctor prescribed water therapy after the arthroscopic, but not after the replacement. I never did figure that one out - I loved the water therapy and I think it would have been great the second time around, too. We did a lot of water walking in that therapy - forward, backward, side-to-side - arm movements - the whole package - as well as specific exercises to strengthen the knee.

Also interesting information about your sister's improvement of rheumatoid arthritis. Mine is not that terrible, aggressive form of the disease, for which I am thankful. I know dietary choices affect us in many different ways. I will give her remedy some serious thought.

You and LJV have given me a lot to think about this morning. I've missed the morning water aerobics class, but I think I will give it a go tomorrow and the rest of the week. I have a recumbant bike here at home (and time for that today!), have no pain with the elliptical at the gym. My orthopedist recommends both machines as long as I don't have pain while using them. I have to say most days are so much better since I have lost some of this weight. I have fibromyalgia also, but that has been much better these last few months, too. Losing the weight - it's all good!

Julie - take care of yourself. I hope this pain subsides and goes away forever! Please be good to yourself.

Edited by JoannMarie

Good Morning All !! I didn't have to work today so I got up early and have been reading your posts. I have a question. I have a 10cc band and my Dr. said he would only put in 4cc total. Right now I have 2.6cc, my question is, is that the normal amount total ? I was sorta bummed out when he told me that ! I know that it can't be filled all the way because it would be closed but 4cc's is less than half full !! I've been reading where some have more than 4cc's now and they are on their 2nd fill. Maybe I'm making too much of this but I would like to hear from my " support system" on what you guys think ! I do have some restriction now, but I got a .6 fill last Thursday, and I am losing weight, not every week, but a lot of the time I don't gain either. And I guess I have another ??? Do you have to get your fills, my next app. is Aug.20 and I'm thinking if I am still losing with that amount in my band, that I will wait for a fill. What do you guys think ? I am going to start eating less and just see what happens as far as getting hungry between meals. I haven't been over eating but I have been eating too much because I was getting hungry between meals. I would appreciate any advice I can get !!

There are a lot of bands on the market, I'd go by what your doctor says and don't worry about what other people say. I think there are different brands that hold different amounts. Only our surgeons know and besides that some people only need 1 or 2 fills to get to their sweet spots -- everyone is different so don't worry. I'd like to respond to the Water aerobics point that was made by Ifyourstomach. If you go to a gym or a YMCA that has a certified Water aerobics instructor, they certainly are good instructors and know what they are doing. I've belonged to several different gyms in different states and have always found good water aerobics programs. I'd just check out credentials and make sure everyone has been certified before joining and/or signing up for the classes.

Cheri, thanks for that information about the Water aerobics. My gym offers a class each weekday, and I would not mind sticking around after each class to walk in the Water a bit. In 2002 I had 2 surgeries on the left knee - arthroscopic in March, and replacement that December. The doctor prescribed water therapy after the arthroscopic, but not after the replacement. I never did figure that one out - I loved the water therapy and I think it would have been great the second time around, too. We did a lot of water walking in that therapy - forward, backward, side-to-side - arm movements - the whole package - as well as specific exercises to strengthen the knee.

Also interesting information about your sister's improvement of rheumatoid arthritis. Mine is not that terrible, aggressive form of the disease, for which I am thankful. I know dietary choices affect us in many different ways. I will give her remedy some serious thought.

You and LJV have given me a lot to think about this morning. I've missed the morning water aerobics class, but I think I will give it a go tomorrow and the rest of the week. I have a recumbant bike here at home (and time for that today!), have no pain with the elliptical at the gym. My orthopedist recommends both machines as long as I don't have pain while using them. I have to say most days are so much better since I have lost some of this weight. I have fibromyalgia also, but that has been much better these last few months, too. Losing the weight - it's all good!

Julie - take care of yourself. I hope this pain subsides and goes away forever! Please be good to yourself.

JoAnn, we are more alike than we knew! I too have fibromyalgia which has improved some since losing weight and I do think the exercise has helped. gotta run, I'm late for the gym!!

Julie, you are in my thoughts and prayers. I am so sorry to hear your feeling so poorly. Linda

Hi all, I've been catching up with all the posts since I was here.. You all have been busy.. Good job to those who were able to make all the right choices over the holiday.. I did pretty well myself.. I did fudge a bit and had some chips and dip as a snack after supper during fireworks.... BUT, I'm not doing so well otherwise... Woke up at 1:15 Sunday morning with horrible pain in my shoulders and chest and back... Not the same as the last time, but similar... The pain was so bad and I was very afraid that it was another episode like the last when I almost died... So off to the ER for me... They called my doc and did all the CT's and tests and he couldn't find anything wrong.. They shot me up with morphine for the pain and I relaxed... But no answer as to why... and it started again last night, so I took a pain killer and it got better... I'm just not sure what is going on... I did have a fill a week ago and things have been fine.. I'm trying to figure it out but haven't yet.. I'm hoping it will just pass and let me be back to normal... I did lose another pound and that is good news... Sorry I can't write more.. I'll be back when I feel better... TTYL........... Julie

Are you snacking too close to bedtime? Just curious because I sometimes have similar symptoms when I'm "stuck" or ate too much or too late at night. Then, sometimes, comes an episode of reflux. Certainly don't want you to take chest pain lightly, especially in the light of your previous experience! But, just a thought.

Julie, so sorry you are feeling so bad. Hope it gets better. Take care !!

Hugssssss Pam

What you are experiencing is called Reflux. It can be dangerous, and the acid that comes up can burn your esophagus. You are definitely eating too close to bedtime. It also happens to me if I've eaten too much at dinner time.

Thanks Phyl, but...what is causing the Reflux? And yes, the past few days I've had the most horrible sore throat.

How is it dangerous? I've been banded almost a year and just now started having this problem.

Linda...I will talk to Dr. Also this band is so fickle. The past week I've been able to keep all my food down, today I couldnt keep anything down. Its very confusing.

Will let you know how tonight and tomorrow goes, not eating or drinking anything before bed.

Hugs to all of you good friends.

Pj ( Pam )

Geez louise Julie!!! Hang in there and feel better!

I went to the Dr today. I lost 3 more pounds, but one end of my incision is draining or oozing or whatever. It started happening last night after I finished my Wii Fit aerobics. I did it for a half an hour and really worked up a sweat! I thought that it was because I was working my butt off, but apparently this is very common in patients who get the band inserted using the bi-lateral method. He told me that it does not look infected at all, but if it begins to look like it at all I should call no matter what the time. I see him again next Monday. Until then I was told to rinse it when I shower and then apply neosporin and a gauze bandage a few times a day. It makes me so nervous, but hopefully all will be okay!

Also, today was the first day I was really HUNGRY!!!!! I consumed 910 calories, instead of the 800. I had a terrible headache and felt it was necessary especially since my body is trying to heal. Nothing bad though. Just some Boost High Protein, sf yogurt, and a sugar free popsicle. No cheats.

Okay, well I'm off to shower and tend to my "wound". Good night!

~Meredith

Thanks Phyl, but...what is causing the Reflux? And yes, the past few days I've had the most horrible sore throat.

How is it dangerous? I've been banded almost a year and just now started having this problem.

Linda...I will talk to Dr. Also this band is so fickle. The past week I've been able to keep all my food down, today I couldn't keep anything down. Its very confusing.

Will let you know how tonight and tomorrow goes, not eating or drinking anything before bed. Hugs to all of you good friends.

Pj ( Pam )

Here's a "clinical" definition I got off a medical site:

"What is GERD (acid reflux)?

Gastroesophageal reflux disease, commonly referred to as GERD or acid reflux, is a condition in which the liquid content of the stomach regurgitates (backs up or refluxes) into the esophagus. The liquid can inflame and damage the lining (cause, cause esophagitis) of the esophagus although visible signs of inflammation occur in a minority of patients. The regurgitated liquid usually contains acid and pepsin that are produced by the stomach. (Pepsin is an enzyme that begins the digestion of Proteins in the stomach.)"

What is causing it?? Most likely eating too much and/or eating too close to bedtime.

It can be dangerous because it can damage your esophagus. When you have an episode like that, it very often will cause you to be "tight" for a day or two afterward because your esophagus is likely to be swollen. It is advisable to stick to liquids for a day and gradually go back to normal food.< /span>

Linda...I will talk to Dr. Also this band is so fickle. The past week I've been able to keep all my food down, today I couldnt keep anything down. Its very confusing.

Will let you know how tonight and tomorrow goes, not eating or drinking anything before bed.

Hugs to all of you good friends.

Pj ( Pam )

Greetings,

I have had my folks in from out of town and very busy so have been behind in keeping caught up here and trying to at least read. This post caught my eye however, since I experienced this last April. Turns out it was because my band was too tight. I was having no issues until then and then suddenly I was having the same issues every night and especially if I ate anything past about 6pm. I mentioned it at my 9 mos post op check and they said it meant the band was too tight, they took out .5cc's and it went away, I could even eat up until bedtime after that. A few months later they put .25cc of that unfill back and I've had no problems. They did tell me it was dangerous for the reasons Phyl posted but also that if it goes on for too long can cause the band to slip, so please don't ignore it if it continues.

Hey Gang...lurking, catching up, etc. On reflux issue...what Long and Phyll said. Dangerous to let it go too long and can have long term effects with band and with health.

Hope you are feeling better, Julie. Maybe take a listen to what Phyll said. Try to not eat and drink b/4 bed and see what happens. Hope things settle down for you.

Hi to everyone else..good going on all the weight losses. I am in that "disgusted" stage again. Have a not too filled band, eating as much as I can. Maintaining but not gaining. I just don't get it. I know some of you have given me the advice to not worry about it. At least I have not lost since Feb. Feel great, have excessive energy, etc. Dr. appt. on 20th. He tells me not to worry so I will go with that.

Just had to vent........AGAIN (please don't take this as a brag)

Greetings,

I have had my folks in from out of town and very busy so have been behind in keeping caught up here and trying to at least read. This post caught my eye however, since I experienced this last April. Turns out it was because my band was too tight. I was having no issues until then and then suddenly I was having the same issues every night and especially if I ate anything past about 6pm. I mentioned it at my 9 mos post op check and they said it meant the band was too tight, they took out .5cc's and it went away, I could even eat up until bedtime after that. A few months later they put .25cc of that unfill back and I've had no problems. They did tell me it was dangerous for the reasons Phyl posted but also that if it goes on for too long can cause the band to slip, so please don't ignore it if it continues.

Woohoo! 10lbs to go!:)

Hi everybody... thanks for the advice, but I've had reflux before and this sure isn't the same... I was to see another doctor (regular GP who figured out the problem last time) yesterday, and she gave me pills to stop the attacks and I'm scheduled for an ultrasound today... She is quite sure that this is my gall bladder... and the attacks are just awful... I've now heard this from many people who have experienced it, too... We'll see if she's right, but for now most of the pain is gone with these little blue pills they gave me... They were coming all times of the day and night.. And, yes, they can be triggered by food, but I haven't overeaten at all.... barely ate at all yesterday and had one mid-day... almost passed out in the doc's office.... I can't have anything today until the test, but DR said to stick to broth and lemonade until she gets it all figured out... At least the ER did the CT that said it wasn't a re-occurance of the last time I had that attack....

Baby is off to the sitter today... I'm trying to get my house back in order... Haven't done a thing since I came home from ER... just lay in my chair trying not to hurt... The place can get out of hand when I don't pay attention.. DH will fend for himself, but is quite messy about it.. and I'd have to be near dead before he would do any dishes... I don't have a dishwasher...don't mind too much.... but they just accumulate on the counter until I get to them.. Just finished and then had a nice bath.. Have to get ready to head to Bismarck for my ultrasound... Hope all are well and getting back into schedule after the holiday.. TTYL......... Julie