Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm here to help...

HAPPY 4TH!!!

Hope everyone has a great weekend. I am having about 20 folks over for a BBQ tomorrow. I am working in the morning, UGH! it is my morning to sleep in and I have to be there at 7 to register folks for our 5k run at work. Today I have to bake cupcakes and clean mostly. Also am meeting my parents and sisters for lunch, just mom and dad and my sisters. scale still stuck, but I am expecting some movement. In the past whenever my parents have come to visit I've had big losses, I told them they were my good luck charms, let's hope it works this time!

Hey there gang !! Been catching up on everyone and whats been going on ! Boy, you guys have been busy !! Hurray, Meredith, on your band !! You are on your way !!! Congrats, 1day, on your anniversary ! I am so happy I have found a group that keeps in touch like you guys do, it really helps !! I have a friend that I have referred to this group, I hope she signs up. I went yesterday for my fill, found out I have 10cc band, and he only puts in 4cc total. So right now I have 2.6cc in. The co-ordinator told me that I would probably get to the "sweet spot" this time because I have been steady losing weight. I just have to pay attention to my body and when I feel the first feeling of being full, I'm going to stop. I am going to make an effort of not putting as much on my plate and just see how long it is between meals when I get hungry. I do have some restriction this a.m., hope it will last for a while ! Gotta run for now, catch up with you guys later !! OMG, How could I forget to tell you guys, I lost 3.5 pds. this wk. I hadn't lost anything for 2 wks, and I woke up this a.m. and WALAA, down 3.5. pds. !!! Look at my ticker, I'm half way there !! YIPEEEE

Edited by doodlebug11

Hello Everyone! It is has been a few months since I signed on to lapbandtalk but I'm back!!! I was banded on 12/01/08 and to date have lost 38 pounds. Of course my highest before pre op diet and nutrition visits was 265.7 soooo I have come a long way but I feel like I am at a stand still and I need help! I have had one fill in my 10 cc band post op and my doc said yesterday that he thinks I am at a good place b/c I have about 6 ccs in my band right now and for what I was describing to him I am where I should be in my weight loss. HOWEVER, I think I need a good kick in the pants or someone to say YES YOU CAN DO THIS b/c right now I do not feel it!! I feel like I am loosing control of this journey and I need help! I feel like I eat too many times through out the day and I eat all the wrong foods. When I had my first fill in Feb. I think I got a little too much b/c for about 3 months I could only get down soft stuff and stuff that I thought "settled" better and didn't get stuck. Mostly ice cream, and high cal foods. My doc had a 'name' for this but I cannot think of it now. He said it is where a person consumes the high calorie foods instead of low cal or good foods. They consume sweets, carbs etc. Well now that I am doing better at getting down regular foods, more healthy foods, without them getting stuck I am so used to eating the not so good foods. Has anyone out there been through this? How did you conqeour(sp?) it? I feel so out of control. I expressed my concerned about my slow weight loss to my doc but he said I was actually doing well and that I shouldn't be concerned about it not coming off quicker b/c this journey is going to take 2-3 years to reach my weight goal which he says is 187 pounds or a BMI of 30. OK - I know I have rambled but I really needed to get this out and ask for HELP from you guys.....PLEASE can someone tell me something that will help me, boost my spirits or encourage me? Anyone been where I am now??? I want soooo bad for this to work. I worked so hard to get here did everything I was suppoosed to do preop...now why am I stuck in this rut????

Michelle in NC

Moochie, I am sorry you are going through that. You have come to the right place if anyone every needs support, you certainly get it here. I have found several people who I really trust and believe. One of them once said that nothing tastes as good as thin feels. I try to remember that. It has saved me on many occasions when I really wanted that sweet. I also had to find out what trigers that craving. So for me, it is pain and stress. If I have a headache or a hard case I am working on at work, then I want something sweet or high carb. I have to redirect that thought. I am not nearly as wise as some of the people here, but I am learning. Best of luck and know I am here for you.

Good Morning Gang...Well, I am popping in before I go (got up early just so I could :0)...

DS & DIL are in a bit of a tiff - I really don't even want to go except I have to take DGD back home.. Hope they make up before I get there tonite.. I'm not into being around pple who are getting along..

Linda - Congrats on those 3 lbs - yep it does all work out as long as you keep working your new healthy lifestyle.... :0)

Congrats on your anniversary and that you are healthier today than last yr.. Thanks be to God...

Well, everyone have a good 4th - Enjoy yourselves - be careful and make wise food choices... Have a little of this or that remember this isn't about being deprived - it's about moderation and our health.. Hugs to all - Love you guys (ladies :0) Janet

Hope you have a GREAT trip and a good time with family this weekend with a minimum of DRAMA!!

HAPPY 4TH!!!

Hope everyone has a great weekend. I am having about 20 folks over for a BBQ tomorrow. I am working in the morning, UGH! it is my morning to sleep in and I have to be there at 7 to register folks for our 5k run at work. Today I have to bake cupcakes and clean mostly. Also am meeting my parents and sisters for lunch, just mom and dad and my sisters. scale still stuck, but I am expecting some movement. In the past whenever my parents have come to visit I've had big losses, I told them they were my good luck charms, let's hope it works this time!

Hope the scale behaves for you soon!

I had a good loss this week,

but now mine says I'm up a little!

Very frustrating because I haven't done anything to deserve it and the weekend festivities aren't even here yet!

8_14_12.gif

Moochie~ GF you need to listen to these girls! They know what they are talking about! Right now, I have this wonderful exciting feeling about being banded recently. I'm sure you had this sam feeling when you were banded too. Try to remember that and the reasons why you did it! Also, get that food OUT of your house!!!!! You do not need it and are only sabotaging yourself. This is about you! Good luck! I know that everyone here is wonderful and will help you immensely! Good luck!

Linda~ Sounds like you've been throught the wringer! Good going on all of your successes and thank you for all of your support, love, and encouragement!

Janet~ As always, you are completely fabulous!

Good news!!!!! I'm down 20 lbs since I began!!!!

YAY!!!

Have a wonderful 4th of July weekend everyone!

Love, Meredith

Okay Moochie - Janet and Apples are both on vacation this weekend, so it's just us. I'm not quite midpoint in this journey, so I don't have the expertise of Janet or Apples, but I have enough experience to tell you what you may not want to hear. You need to get your head in this, girlfriend. This is not an appetite issue for you, is it? It sounds more like old habits hanging on and getting in your way. Meredith had a good idea and it would be the first thing I would tell you. GET THE JUNK OUT OF YOUR HOUSE. If it's not there you can't eat it. Clean out the cabinets and the refrigerator and throw the stuff out. Go to the grocery and buy the food you are supposed to eat. This does not mean you can't have Snacks - 60 calorie pudding cups, sugar free popsicles and fudgecicles, low fat popcorn, etc. Don't even go down the ice cream aisle. You don't need that, girl, and it is sabotaging you.

Protein first - chicken, fish, shrimp, scallops, turkey, lean beef, lean pork - lots of choices there. Vegies - grean, yellow, and leafy as in spinach, swiss chard, etc. fruit - all those beautiful fresh berries and summer fruits. eggs - cheese (look for low fat) - cottage cheese (low-fat). All of your meals should be Protein first (3-4 oz) then vegies and/or fruit, last of all the high carb foods in very small amounts. 3/4 to 1 cup per meal. If you must snack, make it protein (South Beach bars, the ones that are 140 calories and 10g protein), jerkey, string cheese, etc. Save the pudding cup for the evening if you must have something sweet. WRITE EVERYTHING DOWN. It keeps you honest. Try to stay between 800-1100 calories a day, with 60-80 grams of protein. There are websites that help you track everything, but I find it easier to just keep a notebook and a book that counts calories and gms of protein, carbs, fat, etc. I just track the food, calories, and protein. Whatever works for you!

I think your doctor is leveling with you. I was banded on Dec 4th, just a couple of days after you. I have 6.5cc in my band, and I am down 45 pounds, so really close to you. I consider myself a slow loser - since March I have averaged about a pound a week. My pattern is to lose and regain and relose the same 1 or 2 pounds for a week and a half or two - then drop 2 pounds. It is very frustrating, but I know it is Water retention in hot humid weather, swelling from arthritis, blah, blah, blah. I don't really care - I am headed in the right direction. As long as I follow the rules I will be okay.

I bought low fat ice cream last week. It had decent numbers was really good. After 3 days of eating 1 serving a day I had gained 4 pounds (much more than the pattern!), and realized I was retaining Water like crazy. hmmm. I guess I can't do that. I woke up the 4th morning, laying in bed looking at my swollen feet - got up and ran the rest of the ice cream down the garbage disposal. I can't tell you how GOOD that felt! It was absolutely liberating. Since then the water is gone and I have lost those 4 (but not the 2 pounds I am due this week!). I am done with ice cream.

I have a hard time with exercise many days, but I do it anyway some days more strenuous than others. Walk. Swim. Walk in the water. Go shopping in a cool mall. Just get started and it will get easier.

You can do this. As it was said earlier, remember why you did this. Remember how excited you were when you started this journey. You are 38 pounds lighter, and in my book that is pretty good. So it takes us a little longer. We are going to have this tool for a long time. There is no big rush. You will lose it and you will keep it off.

Edited by JoannMarie

Hi, we just got home from an evening out with friends.. just supper and a little bingo and good conversation... Was fun and I didn't overdo... Just had fish and salad.. and didn't eat all of that.. I'm doing much better with my food these days so I'm starting to "unstress" about the 3 month hiatus I was on... I am losing again and that feels good...

We will do the 4th festivities at the home of another friend and her husband.. I'm taking fresh fruit, Pasta salad and cherry pies and they are doing burgers and brats, so I should be fine even though there will be lots of other good things... I can handle it, right!!! Hope you all do, too.....

Moochie, you need to just settle down and quit beating yourself up.. I'll bet you know all the right things to do and just need to do them.. One of the things that has helped many others in your same situation is to start over... do the pre-op diet for a few days.... Protein Shakes for Breakfast and lunch and then meat and veggies for supper... Have you heard of the "5 day pouch test"? If not Google it and read about this way to re-start your loss.... and Meredith is right.... get the food that hurts you out of the house... If it's that tempting, remove the temptation... Get good healthy snacks... One that works well for me and others here is the 100 calorie popcorn... I like the kettle corn... And quit being so hard on yourself.. Unfortunately some are slower losers than others... But you have lost and not gained and that is great progress... At this rate, which is 5.42 pounds per month, you will have lost 65 pounds by your bandiversary... That is nothing to sneeze at ...... 65 pounds you will never have to see again... Don't know how much you have to lose altogether, but that has to be a big dent in it... Way to go... just keep up the good work.... And really concentrating on the band rules and getting good exercies may even jump start your loss..... You'll be fine... And this is a good place to come everyday to be accountable to people who really understand what you are going through... I've been stalled for 3 months due to a medical mishap, and I think about where I could be if I had been able to lose during that time, but that had to take a back seat to getting my strength back.. I'm finally able to start losing again, but it's been hard because I fell back into old habits when the doc told me not to diet... I took it as permission to break the rules... and I did... Fortunately I didn't gain, but I sure could have... You just keep the faith, girl... You are going to be just fine... And Janet, our friendly leader, will be back soon and she'll know just how to kick your butt the way you need.... Take care

Meredith.....20 pounds............great job.....

I know lots of you are off doing your weekend thing... Have a great time and Happy 4th of July to all of you... Our country is worth celebrating even with all it's problems.... God Bless the USA!!!!! TTYL... Julie

Moochie, I have to agree with everyone else that says you have to GET that stuff out of your house !! I have a 4 yr. old DGS that lives with me and the other day he and I went shopping ,he wanted some sugar Cookies, so I bought them. Well, he took one bite off of one and told me he didn't like it and that left me with the rest, and let me tell you, I LOVE SUGAR COOKIES !!!! I ate one, got another, ate it, reached for the 3rd, and thought " What are you doing"? I hid them where I couldn't see them and gave them away the next day !! No more sugar cookies in my house forever !!! lol ( I'm from the old days where there are starving children all over the world, so I couldn't throw them away ! ) But if you have no problem with throwing away food, then by all means CHUNK it !!! I do find that coming to this site helps me alot, these ppl are so nice and they will certainly get you back on the right track !! I like to think of Janet as being Julian Michaels, she will get in your face and get you back on track !! And there is nothing wrong with that, we all need a kick in the pants from time to time !! Mrs. Bubba is right, start over, remember those feelings of excitement, how about the feelings of trying some smaller cloths on and they FIT !! I have found that if I keep track of where I was and where I am now and where I want to be, I can stay focused. I just started doing that on my blog. Hang in there, girl, keep on coming back here, and things will get better !!

Oh, btw, I took my DGS to church BBQ-firework thingy last night, since I am liquids for 48 hrs, I couldn't eat BUT at 6:00 p.m. tonight I AM going to have a grilled turkey hot dog !!! Grilled hot dogs are my favorite !! They had fish, hot dogs, hamburgers, and boiled craw fish, plus all the fixins to go with it ! I sure am sorry I missed out on those craw fish !! NOT !! Too many legs for me !! Catch you guys later !

Hi all,

It is my 1 year anniversary today Yeah!! :smile2: I go for my 1 year follow up on Monday.

Anyways I hope everyone has a great day.

:):smile2::thumbup: 1 day~Congrats!!! Woohooo! We are so very proud of you! Keep up the good work. : )

OMG, How could I forget to tell you guys, I lost 3.5 pds. this wk. I hadn't lost anything for 2 wks, and I woke up this a.m. and WALAA, down 3.5. pds. !!! Look at my ticker, I'm half way there !! YIPEEEE

Doodles~WTG!:thumbup: Half way there is such an awesome accomplishment! And I am with you on the nothing for a couple weeks and then KABOOM! Congrats!

Moochie, I am sorry you are going through that. You have come to the right place if anyone every needs support, you certainly get it here. I have found several people who I really trust and believe. .

blklab~ Wtg with paying it forward! Moochie, she is right.. you have come to the right place. These girls have helped me more than most resources. But it takes a team. Make sure you continue to keep in touch with your surgeon and his office, support group, and others. It is also a MUST that you have a fail proof exercise program. I found that I HAVE to have a class or trainer. Then I cannot flake on exercise. It's so easy to get off track. Best of luck to you!

Okay Moochie - Janet and Apples are both on vacation this weekend, so it's just us. I'm not quite midpoint in this journey, so I don't have the expertise of Janet or Apples, but I have enough experience to tell you what you may not want to hear. You need to get your head in this, girlfriend. ...

We are going to have this tool for a long time. There is no big rush. You will lose it and you will keep it off.

Joann~:cool2: Wow, Janet and Apples would be so proud of you right now! You are spot on. Moochie- listen to this woman, she knows what she is talking about! Best of luck to you. And WTG Joann on throwing out the icecream!

Hi, we just got home from an evening out with friends.. just supper and a little bingo and good conversation... Was fun and I didn't overdo... Just had fish and salad.. and didn't eat all of that.. I'm doing much better with my food these days so I'm starting to "unstress" about the 3 month hiatus I was on... I am losing again and that feels good...

We will do the 4th festivities at the home of another friend and her husband.. I'm taking fresh fruit, Pasta salad and cherry pies and they are doing burgers and brats, so I should be fine even though there will be lots of other good things... I can handle it, right!!! Hope you all do, too.....

I know lots of you are off doing your weekend thing... Have a great time and Happy 4th of July to all of you... Our country is worth celebrating even with all it's problems.... God Bless the USA!!!!! TTYL... Julie

Julie~ I am so darn proud of you! You are really doing great! Isn't it a nice feeling to feel like you have a grasp on this THING!? I don't know how you do with... burgers and brats and cherry pie! I still cannot go to those kinds of functions. It's just not fun for me. I either feel terribly deprived or I overeat. Thanks for the happy 4th wishes!

Meredith~ Congrats on the 20 lbs!!!:thumbup::smile::smile::smile::thumbup:

That is so great to hear! You are on the right path! I love your positive attitude! You are going to do so great! Thanks for the lentil Soup idea. I have a great recipe actually.

To Janet & Apples~ Hope you guys are having safe travels. And to everyone else who is home or traveling... happy 4th! I am down 3 lbs this morning after what seemed like an eternity at the same weight! I don't know what they call it when you go under 250.. it's basically like onederland for me.. b/c I haven't seen that in sooooo long! 247 feels sooooo good right now! Holy cannoli, I was 312lbs 5 months ago!

My older sister and my niece arrived last night around 7pm after a 12 hr drive from NC! I had made a copycat recipe of Wendy's Chili that turned out AMAZING! My sis had roux-en-y June 2, and is doing so good. She was able to handle the chili just fine. Having her here is making me sharpen my habits as to be a good example. For example last night I was having a severe case of head hunger after dinner.. If no one was there I would have eaten something. But with her here, I waited and the feeling passed. We are going to go walk by the river this morning and maybe to the beach this afternoon. Nelson is soooooooo excited to have is auntie and cousin here! He got to sleep in his playroom last night on the futon! A dream come true for a 5 year old. :ohmy: Nice of him to give up his room for his cousin.

ok guys, Happy 4th! Good luck with eating healthy and celebrating her birthday! GO USA!

peasout!~~~

LOL! I'm enjoying reading all your posts!

I've been preoccupied with computer problems for a few days,

but seem to have it all fixed now!

You guys do GREAT without us old-timers!

That's what this is all about... support, encouragement, and butt kicking when necessary!

8_14_12.gif 8_14_10.gif 8_14_12.gif

Laura, I don't know what is going on with me, but I have not had a problem with that awful feeling of deprivation lately. I had my 4th fill in early June, only .5cc, but from that day on I have had a completely different feeling about the food around me. I have no idea if that fill has something to do with it, or if it was just the right time for a paradigm shift. Is that the change that comes with the "sweet spot?" I don't know. I do know I have been able to be a little more adventurous, attending some of the food activities of summer, occasionally trying some things I had stayed away from, and able to keep everything under control much more easily than I've ever done before - and w/o feeling deprived. I think that's the reason I tried the ice cream. Also the reason it was easy to throw it away when it was obvious even the small serving/day was sabotaging me. I wonder if you will find it easier to branch out a little after you have been banded a bit longer.

I do think we need to have a treat occasionally - and learn to make it just OCCASIONALLY. I remember Long talking about the chicken strips once a week. She found out she was satisfied with just 2 rather than 5 - but the key was once a week.

I think part of it has to do with looking back over the last several months and seeing how far we have come. It becomes much more important to keep doing the right stuff and moving the process along. I have had several donations out the door to charities, and in going through my closet last night I am preparing to dump almost everything currently in my closet. I am reaching the last 3 pairs of jeans in smaller sizes - tried the 16s on last night and they fit - snug, but they zipped (and I didn't have to lay down on the bed to make them zip!!). Joey's Closet Boutique will be closing soon and I will be at the mercy of the retailers and their sale prices. I'll be visiting the same charities I am now donating to, and spending my money there! I am lucky that hubby works at Bass Pro and I get a discount there on the Bass Pro labels. I like their jeans and tops - and that is what I mostly wear.

TIP: A friend of mine has been shopping at a "charity" shop for years. It is the one to which the members of the Kansas City Junior League donate. Now, much of the clothing there is small sizes (yes, my friend probably weighs 90 pounds dripping wet and with rocks in her pockets), but not everything is, and for those of you who are at or below goal and wearing those small sizes, you might look into that type of thrift store. I am planning to do that when I am closer to the magic number. She has found beautiful Peruvian hand knit sweaters (sell for the $500-$800 range) for $25, gorgeous wool pants and skirts for $5-$8. The pieces are beautifully made and have been worn once or twice.

I hope everyone has a great weekend and a fun Fourth of July. Thank a soldier, police officer, firefighter. My special thanks to to Chief Todd and LTC Jim. I have a special soft spot for them...

Happy 4th of July!!!!!!!

I am thankful for all of the men and women that continue to make this country free!!!!

And a special thanks to one of my best friends in the world, Firefighter Josh Springer. He is a firefighter in Detroit and risks his life everyday to save others and their homes. This is especially dangerous in such a dangerous city. Thanks Josh!!!!

Anyhow, glad to hear all of you are going to enjoy your weekends! Good luck with all of the food. I am still on strict liquids, so I won't even be tempted to touch anything since I don't want to screw my band up! However, my mom and grandmother have made various cold salads and my dad is grilling hamburgers, hotdogs, and lamb chops!!! Mmmmmm! But thats ok, I have a new transfer addiction! A Wii and the Wii Fit! I bought them both yesterday, expensive, but waaaay worth it! I set it up immediately and used it last night. Janet, you are right, I LOVE IT!!!! Anyhow, getting in the shower and heading over to mom and dads! Love you all!

~ Meredith

Meredith,

I've had my Wii and Wii Fit for over a year now. I love them! I can be very competitive and I enjoy trying to beat my own best scores! A successful Wii session means at least one new "best" score! The Balance exercises are my favorite. Probably don't burn a lot of calories, but usually work up a sweat, and it's that much time I'm not sitting watching TV! If my knee isn't acting up too bad, I like to do some of those and then some other stuff on the Wii Sports... bowling, golfing, tennis. The boxing is a good workout, but I have a hard time making my punches go where I want them to so I get frustrated with it pretty quickly!

Enjoy!!

Hope everyone enjoys the holiday and makes smart and healthy choices! Safeway has the 40 calorie Hebrew National hot dogs on sale for $2.99. They're usualy $5.49 so I bought two packages and that's what DH and I are eating.. little BBQ cookout here at our condo. I'll have mine without bread so I can have a little potato salad. And I bought corn on the cob... DH broke them all in half for smaller portions. And I got a watermelon. So trying everything we can to keep the calorie count down and still enjoy.

Did you all know that Orowheat has come out with these little Buns that look like hamburger buns but half the thickness and only 100 calories?? Come in Whole Wheat and Multigrain. I don't tolerate any kind of bread well, but had one toasted yesterday with salmon on it and it went down okay.

I want to add my thanks to our servicemen and women and all those who protect us. My son is a major in the Army and did one tour in Afghanstan. That is a hard time for them but a hard time on family too. Thanks for having our backs! Because of our freedom we can choose to take this journey with the lap band and I for one am grateful for all the small freedoms we have as well as the big freedoms. To all I say, stay safe!