Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm here to help...

We had a good time, although it wasn't long enough (never is). I got a baby sitter last night. Nael and I took my parents out to dinner (nice Chinese place) and to a movie. I shared Nael's dinner and a bite of Mom's and I was done! LOL DH joked that I am such a cheap date these days. We saw the Denzel Washingston/John Travolta movie. (pelham 123) It was a bit on the violent side, but ok. It's hard when you need to find a movie that will please the ages and sexes!

What else did we do: Saw some friends, went to the beach (forgot my camera- can you believe it?!), hung out at the house- swimming in the pool, talking, watching Nelson play. We didn't really do anything too exciting. Sometimes just BEING is all you need. : )

They leave and then my sister and her daughter will come Friday! It will be my sister's first time away from home since surgery. It's always nice when that time can be to a "safe" place. : )

Hope everyone is doing well. Hang in there Mrs Bubba and Linda and anyone else who is frustrated! It will happen! You are doing great! Keep chuggin (see my train!!!) LOL

So glad you had such a nice visit with your folks.

How can you forget your camera??! LOL I bought one small enough to fit in my purse, so it's always there with an extra battery to boot!

Our son has a small plane... one that he built himself... an RV-6. It took him 13 yrs to build it.... in the midst of it, Dx of choroidal melanoma which eventually took his eye, so it was quite a triumph when he flew it for the first time last Oct.! DH had a private pilot's license for a few years, too. He took his first flying lesson his very first day of retirement. I was disappointed when he gave it up because it gave him so much pleasure. Now he just flies remote control airplanes.

Our son has a small plane... one that he built himself... an RV-6. It took him 13 yrs to build it.... in the midst of it, Dx of choroidal melanoma which eventually took his eye, so it was quite a triumph when he flew it for the first time last Oct.! DH had a private pilot's license for a few years, too. He took his first flying lesson his very first day of retirement. I was disappointed when he gave it up because it gave him so much pleasure. Now he just flies remote control airplanes.

What an inspiring story about your son! R/C airplanes are cool too! I think flying has kept my Dad healthy. He had NIDDM and every year he has to pass his physical to fly. I honestly think that he stays in check for that. Nelson wants to be a pilot and a doctor! LOL. Maybe he will be a flight surgeon.

I am having a frustrating day today. For some reason I am sooo hungry today! I think it's b/c we ate out last night- all the sodium?! My feet were even a little swollen today. An hour after lunch when I was hungry, we went for a swim! Not sure it was a good idea, Nelson's scabs all came off and his nose is sore. poor thing.

CBL

IndioGirl55~

I read from some of your earlier posts that you were willing to be a buddy to some of us newbie's. Are you still able to give encouraging advise?!? I was banded 4 weeks ago and I'm still just nervous and anxious about all this. It would be so nice to have someone I could ask questions to.

I will attend a support group next month in Dallas (my hometown) and I think that might calm some of my fears.

If you could help me at all, that would be great and much appreciated.

Thanks,

K.Borch

I did it!! I made it to the top of that trail. It was freezing cold, we were in the clouds but I did it. I was surprised at how easy it was starting out. It wasn't until I was about 3/4 of the way to the top that I really started feeling it. I got really winded and that could've been the altitude as well as being exhausted. I had shorts on because it was 86 degrees at home when we left, it was 41 degrees at the bottom of that trail and windy the windchill and colder temps at the top had to have made it only in the 30's. I am attempting to attach a photo at the top. I didn't have my Tshirt yet as I bought that when I climbed back down. It was such an exhilerating experience and very emotional for me as last year that looked so insurmountable.

And then for some more excitement. We spent 2 nights in a tent camping in a campground in Rocky Mtn Nat'l park. There were bear warnings all over. Well we got visited by one last night at 2am He got in our car and ate all our food. He had hot dogs, chips, Cookies, marshmellows, a tub of butter, 2 bags dog food, Buns, bacon & eggs. I was never so scared in all my life. I wasn't scared of death but of the pain getting there. Oh and he had chicken. The chicken container was on the ground outside our tent about 2 feet from my head. I couldn't wait for daylight so we could pack up to come home. It was so pitch dark out that we couldn't see to pack up even with our flashlights plus the noise we'd have made packing up in the night. We got Breakfast at McD's in town on our way home and I was still shaking this morning. DH is afraid I won't go camping again. I had an awesome time til then.

I did it!! I made it to the top of that trail. It was freezing cold, we were in the clouds but I did it. I was surprised at how easy it was starting out. It wasn't until I was about 3/4 of the way to the top that I really started feeling it. I got really winded and that could've been the altitude as well as being exhausted. I had shorts on because it was 86 degrees at home when we left, it was 41 degrees at the bottom of that trail and windy the windchill and colder temps at the top had to have made it only in the 30's. I am attempting to attach a photo at the top. I didn't have my Tshirt yet as I bought that when I climbed back down. It was such an exhilerating experience and very emotional for me as last year that looked so insurmountable.

And then for some more excitement. We spent 2 nights in a tent camping in a campground in Rocky Mtn Nat'l park. There were bear warnings all over. Well we got visited by one last night at 2am He got in our car and ate all our food. He had hot dogs, chips, Cookies, marshmellows, a tub of butter, 2 bags dog food, Buns, bacon & eggs. I was never so scared in all my life. I wasn't scared of death but of the pain getting there. Oh and he had chicken. The chicken container was on the ground outside our tent about 2 feet from my head. I couldn't wait for daylight so we could pack up to come home. It was so pitch dark out that we couldn't see to pack up even with our flashlights plus the noise we'd have made packing up in the night. We got breakfast at McD's in town on our way home and I was still shaking this morning. DH is afraid I won't go camping again. I had an awesome time til then.

[ATTACH]17134[/ATTACH]

Wow congratulations Long on your climb! I bet you were freezing to death -- you look fabulous in the picture! You look even younger than you did in the last pic you posted! OMG about the bear - how scary -- glad you made it out of there safe and sound -- wow!

Laura, you're folks sound so wonderful, you are very lucky. I don't understand however, I still can go out to eat and order a regular meal -- last night we went out and I ordered broiled talipia and I ate all the talipia and half the salad before I got full. I never order smaller portions or share anyone's meals -- I figure if I have fish left I can take it home. I'm just curious cause it seems that most people buy appetizers or share meals, but I can eat my meal with very little problem - I don't eat the carbs -- I just leave them or my DH takes them home for his next meal. Do you guys think I'm eating too much?

Hope everyone has a great week!! Linda

Hey there, Sunday is coming to a close and I had a busy day. Off to church at 8:30 and then to breakfast at the golf course after with friends. Then we went 4 wheeling with another couple... Was lots of fun and a nice day for it.. then home to do mowing... Just about had that done when DD called to say she felt like her heart was about to jump out of her chest.. had to go help her... She is on prednizone (sp) for horrible itching and a rash... got that under control only to get home and have to put together an impromptu supper for a brother and his family and my mother and DD and GD and DH... Thank goodness I had lots of things in the fridge... I'm sunburned and tired but feel pretty good. The activity is good..... no time to think about food..... and that's a good thing.. I'm about ready for bed now.... Just wanted to check in... Long, WOW.... you made it and you look like you're on the top of the world.. Congratulations on such a wonder personal victory. Phyll, your son must be amazing... you must be so proud......

KBorchert.... Indio girl is a great buddy and mentor to have... Good luck to you and welcome...

In church this morning the Bible reading seemed as though it was meant just for me... I hope you don't mind if I share it..... I know it is taken a bit out of context here, but the words just hit me so that it's been on my mind all day.. 2 Corinthians 7:10-11 says: "And in this matter I give my advice: it is best for you now to complete what a year ago you began not only to do but to desire, so that your readiness in desiring it may be matched by your completing it out of what you have." Paul was talking about giving here, but the words just seem to send a message to me about getting back on track and finishing what I started last August.. Hope you don't think I'm silly.... thanks for listening... You are all in my prayers for successful completion of your weight loss journey... Goodnight and sweet dreams... Julie

I did it!! I made it to the top of that trail. ... It was such an exhilerating experience and very emotional for me as last year that looked so insurmountable.

[ATTACH]17134[/ATTACH]

WOW WOW WOW WOW!!!:thumbdown::w00t::o:blush: WTG and Congrats on the climb! You look AMAZING in that photo! I am not sure what looks better... your healthy, thin body or the look of pride and accomplishment on your face! Thanks for continuing to be such an inspiration!

Laura, you're folks sound so wonderful, you are very lucky. I don't understand however, I still can go out to eat and order a regular meal Do you guys think I'm eating too much?

Linda~ I still struggle with amounts. I was told at my last appt that weighing food wasn't as important as volume. Dr. said my meal should not be bigger than what can fit on a coffee cup plate (the plate for a cup of coffee to sit on)! I was using the salad plate before. And then he handed me two medicine cups and said the Protein should not be more than that. 2 of those tiny medicine cups! But I think most people say 1/2 cup to 1 cup is what we should be able to eat at a meal. And they should be high Protein, low carb, low fat, etc.

2 Corinthians 7:10-11 says: "And in this matter I give my advice: it is best for you now to complete what a year ago you began not only to do but to desire, so that your readiness in desiring it may be matched by your completing it out of what you have." Paul was talking about giving here, but the words just seem to send a message to me about getting back on track and finishing what I started last August.. Hope you don't think I'm silly.... thanks for listening... You are all in my prayers for successful completion of your weight loss journey... Goodnight and sweet dreams... Julie

Julie~ I don't think you are silly at all! As a matter of fact, I think that was a great message! I think we can all have some take away from that. Thank you for sharing. :thumbup:

ok guys~ Hope everyone is ok. We haven't heard from Meredith, huh? I hope she is doing well. I will CBL... off to get Nelson to camp for the morning, then to the gym, and then racing home to meet a plumber to fix the tub faucet and a broken toilet! FUN FUN!

Thanks for welcoming me! I feel really out of place and kind of lost.

The quote from the scripture is great. I'm going to tag it in my bible today. I'm realizing that this journey for me is not only a weight loss journey, but a spiritual one too.

Any words of advise, any books to read, any encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

I don't like feeling this anxious, so I'll be thankful when my mind settles down.

Thanks,

K.Borch

Hey Gang - Computer was acting up on Saturday like I reported - gave up on lbt for the day and then a gf came over so never got back on and Yesterday - spent the day with my DGD - it seems if I get on the computer nothing gets done - 3 hrs gone by in a flash !!!

I did get a project finished that I have been putting off. Had to draft a proposal for the sale of our farmstead.. What a headache dealing with family and all their different feelings. I know Janet understands this, don't you??!!!... I have 3 brothers and they all have different ideas and argue about it.. The proposed buyer is one brother's son!!!! So there is the rub.... Do you give the nephew a deal and piss off 2 brothers or go with the going price and piss the other one off... and his son and his wife... Anyway, my proposal is ready to mail out.... we'll see how the fur flies!!!! Julie

Oh yes GF I totally hear you on the estate issues !!!

Question I would put out there - what are you getting from nephew vs fair market value and in today's market what's fair - I think my relationship w/my sister may be permanently damaged... Time will tell..

So glad you had such a nice visit with your folks.

How can you forget your camera??! LOL I bought one small enough to fit in my purse, so it's always there with an extra battery to boot!

Phyl - but the remote ones are so much safer :0) !!!

IndioGirl55~

I read from some of your earlier posts that you were willing to be a buddy to some of us newbie's. Are you still able to give encouraging advise?!? I was banded 4 weeks ago and I'm still just nervous and anxious about all this. It would be so nice to have someone I could ask questions to.

I will attend a support group next month in Dallas (my hometown) and I think that might calm some of my fears.

If you could help me at all, that would be great and much appreciated.

Thanks,

K.Borch

Yep K - jump in and ask away - we have a little family here and we will all help you..

And then for some more excitement. We spent 2 nights in a tent camping in a campground in Rocky Mtn Nat'l park. There were bear warnings all over. Well we got visited by one last night at 2am He got in our car and ate all our food. He had hot dogs, chips, Cookies, marshmellows, a tub of butter, 2 bags dog food, Buns, bacon & eggs. I was never so scared in all my life. I wasn't scared of death but of the pain getting there. Oh and he had chicken. The chicken container was on the ground outside our tent about 2 feet from my head. I couldn't wait for daylight so we could pack up to come home. It was so pitch dark out that we couldn't see to pack up even with our flashlights plus the noise we'd have made packing up in the night. We got breakfast at McD's in town on our way home and I was still shaking this morning. DH is afraid I won't go camping again. I had an awesome time til then.

[ATTACH]17134[/ATTACH]

CONGRATULATIONS LORI !!!!!

What a fantastic accomplishment !!!

Omw on the bear - how did he get in the car??? I would have been scared to death - you guys didn't have a gun with you - I don't think I would go camping without one especially in bear country :0)

Thanks for welcoming me! I feel really out of place and kind of lost.

The quote from the scripture is great. I'm going to tag it in my bible today. I'm realizing that this journey for me is not only a weight loss journey, but a spiritual one too.

Any words of advise, any books to read, any encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

I don't like feeling this anxious, so I'll be thankful when my mind settles down.

Thanks,

K.Borch

K - it's a learning process - one day at a time - let us know what you are worried about..

Laura - Glad you had a good time w/parents - I love denizal - but the last move I saw of his a couple years ago was disappointed in - something about banks don't remember the name... But that movie looked good.

Meredith - Were are you girl....

Ok I gotta get back to work

Apples must be busy getting all her work done to so she can head back to the lake for the 4th :0)

CBL - sorry about the drive by post - but it's just like that some days :0)

Congratulations Lori! You look great - conquered the mountain! We are so proud of you...

About a gun vs bear? #1 - a bill was just passed to allow concealed carry in national parks. But people should check with the park they are planning to visit to find out the particular timing for the law and local park rules. Up until the passage of that bill firearms were illegal in national parks no matter how many bears or other meat-eating animals there were roaming around. #2 - if you are afraid you will have to use a firearm on a bear??? Make sure you have a very big gun and are a crack shot - they have hard heads, thick coats, and a shot that does not kill will just make them mad (not good). DH had a black bear stick his head in the entry door of his tent once in northern MN. Grunted and growled a bit, but did not smell any food in there so he turned around and left. DH was just glad he was not the food. He had a large caliber pistol pointed at the bear's nose during the incident, and a knife in the other hand - to be used to cut his way out of the other end of the tent! Fortunately, neither action was required. He waited till he was sure the bear was gone, then locked himself in the truck for the rest of the night.

I'm surprised the bear got into your car, too. Obviously it smelled all that good food in there, but you were storing that food as the park rangers advise - NOT in your tent, but in a vehicle.

Lori, CONGRATULATIONS! What an awesome accomplishment.

I got a fill today......... a .3cc We will see, It may be all I need to get the ball rolling again. Also, my cold is finally gone so I can start walking in the 100 degree weather. Yea! All of you getting rain...........send some our way! Heck I think I would take a tropical depression right now.

Thanks for the kudos on my steep hike. It was definitely a defining moment for me and an emotional one.

As for bears and guns, Joann is right, no guns in the Nat'l park, that law was just passed however, and I believe it's next year that they will allow it in that park. Instead DH had a hammer. LOL He's in his flannel PJ type pants, some dorky slip on shoes, a tiny flashlight in one hand and hammer in the other. Thank God the bear didn't see him or was interested in him. How'd the bear get in the window? Seems DH may not have closed it tight when he sealed up the car for the night. He got all the other windows and locked the vehicle, and put a tarp over the coolers as we were instructed to do. Bears can recognize coolers they said and have been known to break windows to get in as well.

OK so I had my wild animal experience early SUnday morning with the bear. Guess what I had today? A coyote! We have lots of them around our area as it was all prararie until a few years ago, we can hear them howl at night. This morning when I went to work, I pulled in the parking lot and he was across the street and started to come over my way. I decided I was waiting in the car until he was well on his way whether I was going to be late or not. My boss gave me a bad time all day for attacting wild animals. This after he came to the desk to give me something and kills a yellowjacket on the floor by my chair. That's enough critters! Well other than the beautiful deer and elk we saw this weekend.

I've heard folks say when they fly that the altitude affects their bands, I've never noticed that flying. But I did notice with our camping trip at about 9,000 feet elevation that I was much tighter. One night I skipped dinner so i could have my s'more. I mean what's camping w/o a s'more?? I knew if I ate dinner there'd be no room for the s'more.

WEll I gotta get off the computer, just found out my folks are coming tomorrow instead of Wed. and staying at my house Tues. night before moving to my sisters on Wed. I thought I had til Sat. to clean which is when they were goign to come. EGADS!! And it's a mess, just stuff to put away from the weekend etc.

Arlene, good luck with this fill, hope it's the one for you!

Julie, I enjoyed your Bible verse.

Meredith, please check in and let us know how you are doing!

Laura, sounds like you have a great relationship with your parents. You are lucky! Mine is better now than it's been, but is strained a lot with my mom. The ol' 'nothing is ever good enough' syndrome. But finally at 50 yrs old I got better about not needing her approval. Took me long enough.

Hey Girls......finally got caught up with this thread...took me awhile. You have all been busy posting. Was hoping Meredith would have posted to let us know how she is doing. Looking forward to hearing some news!

Had a nice weekend and , yes Janet, I am running around like a chicken with my head cut off today. Have spent most of it in my truck running to different fields for the guys, doing laundry, etc., etc., etc. Gotta get started on the evening meal pretty soon. Never know what time everyone will be in to eat or if I will deliver to different fields so will need to make something that travels well. Think I will throw a pork loin and potatoes on the grill, still have sweet corn in the freezer from last summer and make a chocolate cake. Sound good????????

How many bedrooms at lake? Enough to accomodate as many friends that want to come. Overflow is handled with air mattress', tents, etc. Love when friends come and can always make things work. Hosting a GF happy hour/appetizer party on Wed night. Thinking of doing shrimp cocktail and grilled lime chicken fajitas. Will see how it goes around here and what time I am able to take off. That will be the deciding factor in what I serve.

Long........congrats on the climb. Scary incident with the bear. Have a similar bear story while camping up by Duluth when we were kids. About 2am and he just would not leave. Had to all huddle in the bathrooms (8 kids, 2 parents). I think of that often.

We don't have Bass Pro around here. We have Cabelas and Gander Mountain. I am looking for a new tent and $40 sounds like a really good price. Will have to look and see what Bass Pro offers on line.

Joanne...what a nice new photo! You are sooo pretty and DH is handsome. Your hair has really grown since your last photo. We've always done the "convenience camping" also. We took our boys to every camping spot in the state. We loved the North Shore Drive and did weeks of camping in our travel trailer for many years. Now just happy to be in one spot. I LOVED pulling the travel trailer and giving that opportunity to my boys and we have plans for a motor home when we retire.

Sounds like you are having some hot and sticky weather. We were in the 90's most of the weekend. It would have killed me last summer. I laid out in the sun for a couple of hours two of the days. It didn't get the best of me. I used to sit in the house with the air on. Not anymore. (Not humid here yet so I might complain in a few weeks).

PJ..enjoy your time off of work!

Laura....great photo of you on the Inca Trail and look forward to seeing your next photo and hearing about you crossing that feat off of your bucket list! Happy Nelson is OK. We had a jumping on the bed incident when one DS of 5. Ended up in ER and a goose egg larger than a goose egg.

You are so lucky to have a good relationship with your family. Enjoy it!

Charlene...thinking of you and DH and hoping to hear good news about his tests. Sending hugs your way!

1Day...Sweets are the pits. I have never been one to crave them but have friends that live on them. All I know is that the less you have, the less you will crave. Maybe try to replace them with fruit? ???? Just want you to know we all have a struggles and understand. My downfall is anything salty.

Linda....hoping that GD's rash turns out to be something that is not serious. Keep us informed and thinking of you. Stressful time for you, I'm sure.

Hey Phyll....I have FIL that LOVES flying remote control planes. I cannot tell you how many he has crashed. I, too, have pilot son. I remember how I worried when he would fly out in Cal. Now I don't even think about it and he is in the air from morning till night most days. It's in his blood and love that he is doing what is his passion. His mother never got that chance...(I would be in the air every day if I had that chance).

Julie....I think that Bible reading was a message. I remember sitting in church listening to a reading about 15 yrs ago and just knew it was meant for me. Was trying to make a HUGE decision with a career change, etc....I took it to heart and still am thankful today that I did.

OK guys......gotta run. Hope you all have a great week and no food struggles. Sending loves and hugs. I truly miss you guys when I am gone and wish I had Wifi up north. Oh well, maybe soon.

Apples, the tent was not $40, we got back $40 as it went on sale for that much off. The tent was $100 in the end. But it's a nice one! Can stand up in it.

I went to the pool and laid out in the sun today too. Would not have done that last summer. And I fit in! I used to always look to see if I was the fattest one there and I didn't even do that, I felt almost 'normal'. (still hate my legs LOL)

Apples, the tent was not $40, we got back $40 as it went on sale for that much off. The tent was $100 in the end. But it's a nice one! Can stand up in it.

I went to the pool and laid out in the sun today too. Would not have done that last summer. And I fit in! I used to always look to see if I was the fattest one there and I didn't even do that, I felt almost 'normal'. (still hate my legs LOL)

Funny you say you hate your legs. I had a note to myself to include that you looked nice in your shorts but by error omitted it. I know you have mentioned that b/4. I made a promise to myself when I started this journey that I was going to accept the body I ended up with. It's been a struggle at times but I have come to a very good place with acceptance. Thank God for 3/4 length sleeves and skimmers! I am not willing to go through PS for a few little wrinkles on my upper arms and thighs. I am venturing out and going sleeveless once in awhile. I look at my "skinny or normal" friends and you know what? They have the same flaws and wear shorts and sleeveless. It's kind of like accepting what our bodies do with age. It's all part of our journey and hopefully you will overcome!