Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm here to help...

Hi everyone...Hope you all had a greatttt holiday weekend. Mine was very nice.

DIL came in from Georgia on Thursday July 2nd, that night our AC went out. I had the whole family over for dinner. Mom and the 2 grandkids spent the night that night. Hubby woke us up Friday morning at 7am and said you all need to leave, sooooo we all came to Moms house in Ft Worth and went shopping. Hopefully we will get it fixed soon.

I've been eating more than normal, not feeling much restriction and that is so weird to me since I was doing really well after I went back to have some taken out since I got so sick. I go back in a couple of weeks, will see how I do between now and then. Of course, we have been eating out alot since DIL has been here, visiting her favorite restaurants here that she doesn't have in Georgia.

I have a question for all of you. I have noticed alot lately if I eat or drink before bed, I am waking up all night coughing, it feels like something is coming up in my throat. I coughed so much last night that I woke up with a sore throat. Is there a rule to stop drinking or snacking before bedtime?

Have a great week everyone. Back to work tomorrow after being off for 9 days. :(

Cheri - what an idea! A guilt guild! Sometimes I think my quilt guild is just that - esp at Show and Tell time when other quilters have so many beautiful pieces they have finished and I don't... some of my quilting friends are very prolific and get something done every month! I'm a homebody! and I don't know how they do it!! Brings on the guilt... It's all around us - we must fight back! Banded People Against Guilt!

bring on the purple ribbons...

PJ - I don't know of a rule about eating or drinking before bedtime, but I have heard other people talk about having that problem. I have had a couple of instances of the sensation Water was on it's way back up when I have had something to drink right before laying down. I don't do that anymore. I have one pill I'm supposed to take at bedtime - I take just a sip of Water with it and wait a while before laying down. Most of my water drinking ends around 8 or 9pm.

Hope your air conditioning is fixed soon. We've had a week of beautiful cooler weather and lower humidities, but only a day or two more of this nice stuff before the heat is with us again. Air conditioning going out during one of those heat waves would be a very bad thing. Hugs.

Yeah i don't want to me on my computer 24/7 either so I think I will try to notebook thing as well. Isn't 1 1/2 cups a food at a meal alot? do you eat Snacks too or just your main meals? I was just wondering I know each Dr is different but I am just curious.

1Day I agree with JoAnnMarie, I would be honest with your surgeon and get his advice regarding a fill. My surgeon always talks to me directly about what I think I need. For instance, his nurse will usually say, "she's lost weight, she doesn't need a fill" and then I tell the surgeon, "yes, I've lost, but it's all because I've used will power and I would like a fill to help with restriction." He's always given me a fill. They also always routinely ask if I've experienced any heartburn (which can be a sign of being too tight). At my last appt. I told my surgeon exactly what I could and could not eat and how much. After listening to that, my surgeon recommended a .500 cc fill and I agreed -- I didnt' want to be too tight, but still felt I could use a little restriction. It was my third fill which brought me to 5.5 ccs in a 10cc band. I felt some restriction the first few weeks, but now don't feel as much restriction, although I don't get hungry between meals. I do stay satisfied about 4 to 5 hours after each meal. There are times I can eat a lot more than 1 or 1-1/2 cups of food. However, some of that food is slider food -- i.e., I mix my fruit with yogurt in the morning and I enjoy making a chinese chicken type of salad with low fat ginger sesame dressing which makes that a slider as well. However, with those types of meals, I make sure I eat my 4 oz. of Protein first. I occasionally have a 100 calorie bag of popcorn (maybe twice a week) and I do snack every night on a sugar free pudding to help me get my Calcium in as I don't drink milk. I vary my actual calories (usually between 800 and 1100 daily) and I exercise 7 days a week - 100 to 120 minutes each day. I also occasionally have a Skinny Cow ice cream sandwich or a Skinny Bar or Weight Watchers fudge sickle as an extra treat. It helps cut down on my cravings if I have a treat like that once in awhile. So far I've been fortunate in continuing to lose each week and for that I'm grateful, but I do work very hard at it. I had some serious health issues that I needed to resolve quickly and I just put my heart and soul into my lap band journey. I haven't felt this good in over 20 years. I too love my band!!! :(

1 Day - I generally eat between 1/2 and 1 cup at a meal. I have an occasional late afternoon snack IF I am hungry. Usually I am not, but sometimes dinner will be postponed by lifestuff, and I may have a Protein snack if that happens. I like the South Beach bars that are 10 gms Protein and 140 cal. They don't totally destroy the calorie count for the day and they do have good protein amount. I also take along turkey Jerky if I'm going to be out all afternoon. An oz or so in a baggie will get me through. I don't always snack in the evening, again - if I do it is something Calcium rich or protein. Sometimes I put walnuts in my pudding - calcium AND protein... I like to make every bite count for something good.

I really need to be doing the time at the gym that you are, Linda. DH and I went walking yesterday, but my knee just won't do much of that. The WiiFit really helps me get moving, but I need more... Maybe I should take a page from Phyll and go ahead and schedule the knee surgery. Get past the rehab and it will be so much better. I will ponder that option.

Edited by JoannMarie

1 Day - I generally eat between 1/2 and 1 cup at a meal. I have an occasional late afternoon snack IF I am hungry. Usually I am not, but sometimes dinner will be postponed by lifestuff, and I may have a Protein snack if that happens. I like the South Beach bars that are 10 gms Protein and 140 cal. They don't totally destroy the calorie count for the day and they do have good protein amount. I also take along turkey Jerky if I'm going to be out all afternoon. An oz or so in a baggie will get me through. I don't always snack in the evening, again - if I do it is something Calcium rich or protein. Sometimes I put walnuts in my pudding - Calcium AND protein... I like to make every bite count for something good.

I really need to be doing the time at the gym that you are, Linda. DH and I went walking yesterday, but my knee just won't do much of that. The WiiFit really helps me get moving, but I need more... Maybe I should take a page from Phyll and go ahead and schedule the knee surgery. Get past the rehab and it will be so much better. I will ponder that option.

JoAnn, I have a bad left hip and bad back (rods and screws in it) and I live with daily pain from those. Three days a week I do Water aerobics (I highly recommend that because you get a good work out but your body doesn't suffer) . I feel really good after my hour long Water aerobics class. I also ride a recumbant bike three days a week which hurt my hip and knees at first, but I started out slow and gradually increased the time (I started out doing 5 minutes and have now increased it to 45 to 60 mins. each time) and I also do 30 mins. of circuit training with weight machines which has also helped increase my strength and endurance. I still have daily pain, but I've found it's not any worse with exercise than it was just sitting in front of the computer or tv. I get sore and hobble around but the results make it worth it for me. I found starting slow and working up really helps increase stamina and endurance. Other than that, I do a walking tape and now I'm also able to do some step aerobics (only on the lowest step) -- I do tapes at home where I can control what I do. I found some beginner's tapes that I can handle. Years ago (about 20 years ago) I was a step aerobics enthusiast. I find still enjoy the workout (because the time flies by) even though it's much harder for me now, but I just do what I can and if I hurt I stop and try again another day. The water aerobics is really helpful at building endurance and I recommend it as a starting exercise for anyone with limited mobility or anyone living with pain. My hubby (who has two artificial hips) goes with me to water aerobics and he thinks it's a good workout too. Have a great week everyone!

Hi Meredith, You are doing so great! Congratulations on your success so far. My only question is, did your doctor limit your calories to 800 per day? In reading your post, I'm not sure if your posting to question the calories or the amount of liquid. JoAnnMarie is right -- the liquid amount is not too much, like she said, the rules about liquids don't apply until after the liquid stage is over. I know you're still swollen, but if you are hungy and still only eating 800 calories, it should be fine to increase your calories. Have you checked what your calorie budget should be on one of the many helpful programs on the web? Daily plate will figure it for you - you put in your age, height, weight and how much per week you want to lose (2 lbs.) and it will give you your calorie budget for the week. I've had good success with varying my calories -- some days 800, some days 1100, some days 1200, etc. I know Janet recommends doing that as well. Not sure if you are asking about calories or amounts. I'm only 5'1" and I remember my calorie budget when I first started was around 1300 or so and I lost 2 lbs. per week on using the calorie budget as figured by thedailyplate.com

Oh duh! I was talking about the amount. My doctor told me the morning after surgery "800 calories only and exercise on Friday"! He is super strict! I'm following the rules, I don't want to get in trouble with him! I am going to go see his partner at 11:45 mon (today technically) morning so I will be able to ask all sorts of questions then. Also, I have to make an appointment to meet with the dietitian in 6 weeks from now just to make sure I'm doing everything properly. I just wanted to make sure that it was ok that I consumed 8 oz at a time. Thank you for helping me!

~Meredith

DIL came in from Georgia on Thursday July 2nd, that night our AC went out. I had the whole family over for dinner. Mom and the 2 grandkids spent the night that night. Hubby woke us up Friday morning at 7am and said you all need to leave, sooooo we all came to Moms house in Ft Worth and went shopping. Hopefully we will get it fixed soon.

I've been eating more than normal, not feeling much restriction and that is so weird to me since I was doing really well after I went back to have some taken out since I got so sick. I go back in a couple of weeks, will see how I do between now and then. Of course, we have been eating out alot since DIL has been here, visiting her favorite restaurants here that she doesn't have in Georgia.

I have a question for all of you. I have noticed alot lately if I eat or drink before bed, I am waking up all night coughing, it feels like something is coming up in my throat. I coughed so much last night that I woke up with a sore throat. Is there a rule to stop drinking or snacking before bedtime?

Have a great week everyone. Back to work tomorrow after being off for 9 days. :tongue_smilie:

PJ so glad you had a great time on your vacation. Sorry about your ac -- hope it gets fixed soon. If I were you I'd call the surgeon's office tomorrow and tell them about your coughing - because that is also something that is on my questionnaire I have to fill out every time I go to my surgeon's office for a fill or a check up. I've not heard of any rule about drinking or snacking close to bed time -- in fact I usually drink right up until bed but I do have my snack earlier in the evening. You said you've been eating more than normal, maybe you've just been eating too much and that food is backing up into your esphogus area and causing you to cough. I know my brother has esphogus problems and has coughing spells sometimes because of that. Good luck and keep us posted, but call your doctor, don't wait and get sick like before. Linda

What you are experiencing is called Reflux. It can be dangerous, and the acid that comes up can burn your esophagus. You are definitely eating too close to bedtime. It also happens to me if I've eaten too much at dinner time.

Have a great week everyone. Back to work tomorrow after being off for 9 days. :tongue_smilie:

That night time cough is almost always reflux. I try to finish all pills at least half an hour before bed and only have a swallow before bed. I've actually started having a swallow of Kiefer because it can help reflux. Then I do the face washing, teeth brushing etc to give it time to settle. Certain blood pressure medications can cause pharygeal reflux, where the acid creeps up onto your vocal cords and causes the coughing, but its more likely you're just eating too much and too late in the evening and your tiny tummy can't take it. My post op instructions actually say if that happens you didn't wait long enough before you laid down.

1 Day - I generally eat between 1/2 and 1 cup at a meal. I have an occasional late afternoon snack IF I am hungry. Usually I am not, but sometimes dinner will be postponed by lifestuff, and I may have a Protein snack if that happens. I like the South Beach bars that are 10 gms Protein and 140 cal. They don't totally destroy the calorie count for the day and they do have good protein amount. I also take along turkey Jerky if I'm going to be out all afternoon. An oz or so in a baggie will get me through. I don't always snack in the evening, again - if I do it is something Calcium rich or protein. Sometimes I put walnuts in my pudding - calcium AND protein... I like to make every bite count for something good.

Joanne, I had double knee replacements done at the same time and that's about the only part of my body that doesn't give me trouble. I did a lot of knee strengthening exercise that my Dr. gave me ahead of time. Water walking and swimming also strengthens your knees ahead of time. I left the hospital after two days and when the physical therapist came to evaluate me he said I was like someone finishing therapy.

The problem with Water aerobics is that the instructors don't always know what they're doing. Don't do any excercises above the water. All joints should be underwater to prevent injury. Do everything very slowly and gently. It won't hurt at the time, but if you overdo it, you will strain and inflame your joints. The water also seems to reduce inflammation because of the coolness and the pressure it surrounds your joints with. I actually had physical therapy in an arthritis pool at one point for my back and and shoulder and the water walking was excellent. Just bend your knees enough to keep all your joints underwater. Walk backwards as well as forwords. I also worked my arms gently in various directions, bent elbow, straight elbow, up, down,sideways, forward, backward. Just be very gentle. Listen to your body. Don't overstretch your joints. Destabilizing your joints by overstretching them causes more injury.

If you have rheumatoid arthritis, I can tell you that my sister, who is a physician, got it so badly she couldn't hold her patient charts and write on them. She completely eliminated all red meat (beef and pork)and started eating as much organic food as she could. She is in complete remission and takes no rheumatoid arthritis drugs.

Wish I could get my doctor to do both knees at once!

I would do it in a heartbeat!

Hi Janet! Wow! Awesome job! I can't wait to get into size 8! Heck...I'll be happy with anything under 14! :tongue_smilie:

Good Morning All !! I didn't have to work today so I got up early and have been reading your posts. I have a question. I have a 10cc band and my Dr. said he would only put in 4cc total. Right now I have 2.6cc, my question is, is that the normal amount total ? I was sorta bummed out when he told me that ! I know that it can't be filled all the way because it would be closed but 4cc's is less than half full !! I've been reading where some have more than 4cc's now and they are on their 2nd fill. Maybe I'm making too much of this but I would like to hear from my " support system" on what you guys think ! I do have some restriction now, but I got a .6 fill last Thursday, and I am losing weight, not every week, but a lot of the time I don't gain either. And I guess I have another ??? Do you have to get your fills, my next app. is Aug.20 and I'm thinking if I am still losing with that amount in my band, that I will wait for a fill. What do you guys think ? I am going to start eating less and just see what happens as far as getting hungry between meals. I haven't been over eating but I have been eating too much because I was getting hungry between meals. I would appreciate any advice I can get !!

Wish I could get my doctor to do both knees at once!

I would do it in a heartbeat!

I researched a Dr. in my area who I knew would do it. Even mayo clinic recommended him. But I was on a PPO at the time and could pick my own Dr. His name is Dr. Milt Smit and he works out of Kankakee Illinois. You could research him and present the info to your Dr. Recovery is much better for people who do both at once.