Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OMG I didn't die! Thank you Jesus!

I'm so Sorry to hear you are not getting better have you called your Doc to see if they have any ideas??

Take it easy it will get better:)

Kathy, please don't be discouraged. You seem to be on the exact path I was on. You are only six days out. It took me two full weeks to feel better. I was so worried that I ran to my primary doctor on an urgent basis. They told me they couldn't fit me in, but I showed up in her office in tears. I was horribly miserable, just the way you were. No, I never PBd or had the heartburn like you, but it was awful. Just a few more days and you should be feeling better. Also, I started feeling better, then WHAM, I felt like hell again. That is totally normal. But call your doctor anyway. I am so, so, SO sorry this is happening to you, but you might just be a slow healer like me. Hang in there. Don't hate your band. At least TRY to think of the bright side, that you got the band to lose weight and now you must be losing, right? But liquids are vital so call your doc and hang in there.

Kathy, the thought of food during my first weeks was pukifying! I couldn't believe people actually wanted to eat. Not me, heck no. It was gross. I'm glad you can get Water in. Sip warm tea & broth and use the heating pad all day long.

Ya know what I did? Sounds lame, but I layed in bed with a sports bottle and held it to my lips and let it drip in my mouth like an IV. I would do it as long as I could hold the bottle up, because drinking liquids was even a chore. But the little drops just kind of absorb into your mouth and throat so it's not difficult getting it down. And mix some cranberry juice in your Water to make it taste better & easier to go down.

Did you call Dr. Kuri? And if you did, has he called you back yet? How is his aftercare? Have they called to check on you?

Thanks Lisa, the sports bottle in bed sounds exactly what I need! I try to let liquids just sit in my mouth but then I end up swallowing it and WHAM! stuck feeling, gurgling heartburn, the need to burp, take in big breathes of air, pace, hold my hands high in the doorway to help make it go down, it's terrible.

I am about to call Kuri's office, just to see if there is some medication I need to be taking, Prevacid? but the thought of a pill is horrifying, so no. Plus, I get such good advice here I can't imagine him being able to tell me something new. I did get a call from my patient rep on Tuesday, I think, might have been Monday, and in my jaded thinking, I think all she wanted was my sister's name for the referral, just in case she gets the surgery (we met JoAnne N. and Ishi down there and JoAnne apparently told Sylvia (rep) my sister might be interested in having Kuri do her lap band.)..But surely she would have called to check on me even if she didn't want my sisters name. These people HAVE to get some fee or percentage for patient referrals, which I don't mind a bit, if the concern is sincere. Just don't always know that it is, ya know?

I'll let you know about what I hear from Kuri's office, the jury is still out.

Okay, I e-mailed my patient rep and got a VERY quick reply (yay!!) even though it was nothing I din't really know...sip warm liquids until the stoma swelling does down...but I have found going back to day one in the hospital to ice chips is helping most to stay hydrated. I'll quit worrying, and I can as long as I don't get the stuck feeling from sips of liquid, which I don't with ice chips. Back to square one. I just love all you guys, I really do!

One word: POPSICKLES! Well, a few more words are frozen juice pops, fudgsickels, etc. What about sucking on sum Tums? They dissolve really well. Not the tastiest, but it will help the heartburn. Prevacid comes in capsules. Call your local pharmacist and ask him if that's something you could sprinkle in some broth.

The way I go about Band care & maintenance is to take what my surgeons say then compare it to what all the other doctors say and look for the most sensible information. I agree that Kuri probably won't be able to tell you much over the phone, but this heartburn you are experiencing isn't something I'm familiar with.

This is good, I just bought popsicles made with real fruit juice, or whatever, yesterday, but ice chips are going really well. So later I'll definately do some popsicle.

I was thinking of Prevacid because doesn't it heal the area? And the heartburn is really just that hurt stuck tight feeling in my chest. Once whatever goes all the way through it goes away, it just takes so long! Okay, so several minutes isn't that long but it sure feels like it! I have also sucked on 2 Gas-X today, and that helps but it makes me burp, which feels good but I'm thinking the less activity the better down there in the pouch.

Yep, I'm going with my gut and how things feel for me, taking in everything from any source whatsoever but honestly, you and everyone on LBT have been the best source of info...nothing like experience for giving advice! I really appreciate all of you!

Kathy, just a quick note to let you know I'm thinking about you, and I wish that I could make you feel better.. Better yet, wish I could come help you with your little one.. I ate sugar free popsickles, they were a treat really, a welcomed treat.. (((((HUGS)))))

Hope your feeling better real soon.....

Tara

Took a few sucks of popsicle and fed the rest to little man, and got the stuck feeling, so I sucked on a Gas-X and layed down, then started sliming and PB'd the Gas-X, slime and a bit of what looked like slightly brown mucus. I felt much better afterwards, but have resolved to have nothing, I mean nothing, until tomorrow morning and then start over with ice chips. UGGGGHHH.

Wow, I am sorry you have such tough days Kathy. How much Fluid are you getting in at all? Starting to sound like for a week you haven't gotten much in at all and may need some IV fluids? Wow, and I thought I had it rough because I was whining about when i could eat more filling meals. I hope you feel better soon!

Took a few sucks of popsicle and fed the rest to little man, and got the stuck feeling, so I sucked on a Gas-X and layed down, then started sliming and PB'd the Gas-X, slime and a bit of what looked like slightly brown mucus. I felt much better afterwards, but have resolved to have nothing, I mean nothing, until tomorrow morning and then start over with ice chips. UGGGGHHH.

This is just my opinion -- but as someone who's been there...

STAY AWAY FROM COLD THINGS!

I went 8 days without being able to keep even my own saliva down. I lost 40 lbs in those 8 days. It definitely wasn't healthy. (I gained 20 of that back once I rehydrated.)

A lot of people have reported that they were very restricted. I, like you (it seems) wasn't very restricted -- I was *completely* restricted. I PB'd 200+ times in those 8 days, and at several points, thought I had made the worst mistake of my life.

There really is *nothing* that can be done for you right now, assuming that the band placement is correct and you're only suffering from internal swelling... but know this -- the swelling *will* go down. In the mean time, get IV's as often as you need, and when you feel brave enough to try liquids, try HOT liquids (hot tea, chicken broth, etc.). Cold liquids (and ice) seemed to be counterproductive for me. When I finally got 1/8 cup of hot tea down, I could finally see the "light at the end of the tunnel".

I've been there darlin'... I know it sucks beyond sucking. The only thing you can do is bear with it and know that "even this shall pass".

This is, of course, assuming that you aren't having any internal problems (ie, band placement issues, surgery mishaps, etc.). But hang in there -- just give it time!

Jonathan

This is just my opinion -- but as someone who's been there...

STAY AWAY FROM COLD THINGS!

In the mean time, get IV's as often as you need, and when you feel brave enough to try liquids, try HOT liquids (hot tea, chicken broth, etc.).

This is, of course, assuming that you aren't having any internal problems (ie, band placement issues, surgery mishaps, etc.). But hang in there -- just give it time!

Jonathan

Thank you so much Jonathan for reading and posting. DH read what you wrote and agrees about hot so I'll Water down chicken broth in the morning and see how it goes. I know this but chewed ice chips in the hospital so I was backing up to day 1...but I'll keep it hot.

Honestly, I don't think I have any internal problems, band placement issues, surgery mishaps, etc., because everything else is healing up nicely. No incision infections, the port area is tender but less tender by the day, I can feel the presence of the band on the inside, if you know what I mean, or maybe I'm just feeling the sore effects of the swelling but it feels tucked right in there....dunno, it just seems right to me, can't explain it. I also have some back pain around where the band is so I know the swelling is causing trouble all the way through. The back pain is just an ache, like I need the heating pad and a good stretch, as if I slept wrong. Same with my neck, but I have been resting lots lately...so that may not be "band" related aches.

As far as IV and dehydration, you are fortunate enough to be married to a nurse who can contraband the necessary equipment home to do an IV there...I'd do it right now if I could, but for me, it's cash out of pocket and hope either my PCP or local band doc will do it in the office to avoid hospital costs. I hate to spend the money but will if I have to, of course.

So how do I know I'm dehydrated?

I am fortunate to have had Sunday through Tuesday plus a half day Wed with very good Fluid intake, perhaps 45-60 ounces each day (except wed of course). I could get a good gulp of Water or tea or broth down and it would gurgle and feel funny, but it didn't hurt. I'ts only been since Wed afternoon that I haven't been getting the fluids. Since the Jello PB. And it was a piece of thick bottom of the bowl Jello, not the regular yummy stuff that got stuck...SIGH

So thanks for replying, and anyone else out there with advice, especailly about the signs of dehydration, please post! I thank you all.

Kathy,

I too am on Prevacid and I can still take it. They make it in a 15 mg SoluTab. Another words, you put it on your tongue and it melts. No PB'ing!v The taste isn't too bad. I was diagnosed with acid reflux when I was five, so I have been taking something most of my life. Ask your doctor if he will prescribe it for you..

I hope this helps...psst...How is my Jade plant doing? LOL

Love ya Kiddo!!

I dont have any advice, I just wanted u to know im sorry, and I hope u feel better soon.