Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Which celebrity do YOU think needs the Lap Band?

I only think Oprah NEEDS a Lap Band so she'll shut her mouth and go away.

:redface:

I think Oprah could benefit from a band. I'd love to watch her eat her WLS-hating words.

Not if Dr. Phil is on there. Unless he's there to eat HIS words. All of them. About everything. :redface:

I've got a BETTER lovely question... but I won't ask it just yet...

I was thinking the same thing. I love that you brought this up! I wonder if 7 is some one's favorite number?

Back to the topic. I just don't understand why anyone would enjoy making a list of celebrities that they think needs lap-band. Who are we to judge?

I think it's just rude. How would you feel if you were in a crowded room of strangers and a few of the people decided they would sit in the corner and point out the people who they think needs WLS and word got around that YOU were one of them? I would feel so embarrassed and hurt.

Most all of us (as overweight, obese, and morbidly obese people) have been picked at and criticized our entire obese lives, whether we know it or not. I remember that feeling and I don't want anyone else to have to feel that way, whether I know them or not. Just because they are celebrities and we don't know them personally, doesn't make it okay to scrutinize them about their weight.

I mean, really....... to sit here and call off people like Britney Spears, Vince Vaughn, Jennifer Hudson, Kimberly Locke.......none of these people would even qualify for lap band!

There is a big difference in genuine concern for someone who is obese, and poking fun/gossiping about someone who is a little "thicker" than we think they should be.

Its not necessarily nasty speculation though.

I mean, I've been fat, I've got an eating problem and I need a lapband, I certainly dont judge others as lesser beings because of it - although I can be harsh on people who are babies about exercise, lol. But its frustrating to see someone like Kirstey Alley fight with her weight, lose tons, PUT HERSELF OUT THERE for all the kudos and congratulations (I mean, she could just quietly lose it and let the public speculate, but no, she made a BIG deal of it) and then regain it. When you know a lapband's primary advantage is in keeping the weight off, its hard not to think they're making the wrong choice by not having one.

Same with Oprah, its not as if she just quietly struggles with her weight, she makes it all very public - to me, it only follows that people who tire of hearing about it are going to be critical when she regains.

Same with Oprah, its not as if she just quietly struggles with her weight, she makes it all very public - to me, it only follows that people who tire of hearing about it are going to be critical when she regains.

maybe you havent experienced this kind of criticism yourself, but this is why so many of us decide to not share with anyone, except those who are very close to us, that we have the band.

when i started each program, i thought "this is it, i will get into shape, i will be able to keep the weight off." so i probably shared that excitement with everyone around me, in fact i know i did. especially since there are always people around that are also looking to lose weight.

i think with anyone who struggles with thier weight, its humiliating every time we have tried and either fail or gain it back. this critical thinking is what i used to always think that people were thinking/saying about me, "there she goes again, yeah, she's lost some weight, but she'll gain it back" and i did, and it got harder and harder to even try. Thats why no one except my husband knows about my band.

i agree with her history, it seems the band may be the answer for her. but i have no right to assume that.

I definitely think there are obese celebrities that would benefit from having lap band, but it's not my place to pick and chose who needs it. I'm trying to think of this from a personal point of view. How would I feel if someone put my name on a "lap band list"?

Any obese person, famous or not, would most likely benefit from lap band. The problem I have is, many of the ones listed would not even come close to qualifying for the surgery and are hardly overweight, which tells me that some people are just being judgmental.

But no one's saying, Oh, she's a fat pig, she's disgusting, she cant control herself, she should go and get surgery. They're observing that these people are following the same struggle many of us did, losing, regaining PLUS some over and over again and that a lap band would help. How is that offensive or nasty, rude or intrusive?.

Bald fact is, when you are fat, everyone can see it and people ARE going to make judgements about it whether you like it or not. Even when you're not fat, people make judgements about you based on what you look like. There's no hard and fast rules of course, but in general you can tell all sorts of things - what sort of demographic someone fits, how much money they have, what sort of education they had, where they grew up, all those things are observable.

And to be honest, I was fat because I ate too much, exercised poor self control and sat around on my lardy butt all day doing nothing much. Those arent really the most desirable tributes, even to me who exhibited them. I wanted to change becuase those arent things I find admirable or likeable in others, so I was unhappy about having them myself. I dont find it particularly offensive that people think that about fat people, what I find offensive is that they also assume stuff like they're dirty, messy, have no brains because those things ARENT true. But sitting around saying wow Kirstey Alley really could benefit from a lap band is nothing more than an observation that she struggles with her weight. Its not necessarily a personal judgement on her.

I dont KNOW whether I've been judged harshly becuase of my weight. I've never really felt so I admit, but that could because generally I dont give a flying f.ck what people think anyway.

I agree with Jacqui.

I meant no disrespect whatsoever. I'm mostly thinking of the bad health that comes from gaining - losing - gaining plus. I've been there, done that many times.

I never felt ridiculed about it, but I can tell you this... since I've been losing, many are commenting, telling me I look so much younger, healthier, happier...etc. What do I get out of this? People were judging me prior. Do I care? Sure, to a degree, but NOT enough to where I let it eat me up (no pun intended). I take the compliments as they are intended - and it is all good.

Nobody here, I believe are doing it out of spite - and if you are, I wholeheartedly disagree with your stance.

C'mon people, it's all about love! Peace! Harmony!

Oh yeah, this is Rants & Raves - LOL!!

Like I said, please stop attacking me. I don't know what you're talking about and I just would like it if you left me alone. If you don't like me posts, stay away from them / don't read them

I think her point is lets say you made this same post about three ladys at work? That would be rude wouldn't it? So why would it not be rude to these celebrities? Because they are famous?

These types of posts should be made in those foo foo glamor magazines forums with all the women making fun of all the fat celebs.

Have to agree with Georgia on this one. There are many celebrities, and every day people, who would undoubtedly benefit from losing weight. However, that's not what the question asked.

I would never be so presumptuous as to say anyone "needed" the lap-band. Maybe they don't need something mechanical/surgical to overcome their issues. And the lap-band is not a good choice for everyone. The farthest I could go would be to say maybe they'd benefit from it, maybe not.

This is a conversation I would have with my friends. A small speculation into who in hollywood is stuggeling with there weight. How do you think so and so stays so skinny after having so many kids? How did she lose so much weight, and the ever popular what is she doing to get that thin? I don't think there are too many people that posted an answer to the question or posted it for that matter, ment for anyone to take offence or take it that seriously for that matter. I don't really think the conversation attack is that nessacary. If you don't want to involve in the disscustion cause it's not the type of person you are then don't. Its your descion to read it and then to comment which really just draws more attention to the thread.

Doesn't really make that much sense to me.

I have deliberately avoided this thread because I hated the premise of it. Discussing who I think is unattractive or unhealthy enough to get a surgery that is completely a personal choice? But...Boredom and curiousity got the best of me so here's my 1 1/2 cents anyway.

The OP's writing style does have a familiar ring to it. I think that the post is kind of mean regardless. I think it feels gossipy girls sitting around goggling about people they feel better than. MHO. You have the right to say it, I have the right to think its mean and unneccessary. I would never push my decision to get the Lapband on someone else.

I don't care for Oprah but I know that losing weight on your own is so hard and she does it over and over and she does maintain for a while. I applaud her efforts if not her personality. And she probablee thinks she is helping people. I think she does help people so I like her, I just can't watch her.

Queen Latifah is gorgeous and perfectly porportioned, Rosie O'Donnel accepts herself so I accept her.

And do they give alot of Lapbands to people who are only a 16? Maybe a 16 at 4'5 would warrant one or maybe I am just really fat and 16 seems ok to me.

Edited by ReadySteadyGo

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and I know it might get me yelled at, but there are people that do need something, whether it is a Lap Band or RNY or the sleeve or whatever, because what they are doing right now and what they have been doing in the past is obviously not working. People like John Goodman, who is obviously unhealthy. Seriously, to me he looks like he's going to drop dead of a heart attack at any minute. He looks a hundred times more unhealthy than he ever did on Roseanne. People like Oprah, whose weight yo-yos up and down constantly, which we all know will eventually absolutely ruin her health, if it hasn't already (we've heard that enough times from our own doctors). Other people, no, I don't necessarily think that they NEED a Lap Band, people like Vince Vaughn, who don't even look obese. But for some people, when you can tell that they're in trouble or that they're clearly unhealthy, acknowledging that they do need to do something, anything but what they're doing now, isn't necessarily attacking them.

Now, as for the OP, I've noticed the same things as a lot of you have, so I can't speak for her intentions, just for my own and probably some of the other posters. For me, I'm not posting here to point at someone and laugh that "OMG, they're SOOOO fat and gross!!!" But, yes, I do think that there are some people out there that DO need more than just dieting and exercise, and I don't think it's attacking them to point it out. Especially when some of these people struggle publicly with their weight, not to mention making money off that struggle (like Kirstie and Oprah).

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and I know it might get me yelled at, but there are people that do need something, whether it is a Lap Band or RNY or the sleeve or whatever, because what they are doing right now and what they have been doing in the past is obviously not working. People like John Goodman, who is obviously unhealthy. Seriously, to me he looks like he's going to drop dead of a heart attack at any minute. He looks a hundred times more unhealthy than he ever did on Roseanne. People like Oprah, whose weight yo-yos up and down constantly, which we all know will eventually absolutely ruin her health, if it hasn't already (we've heard that enough times from our own doctors). Other people, no, I don't necessarily think that they NEED a Lap Band, people like Vince Vaughn, who don't even look obese. But for some people, when you can tell that they're in trouble or that they're clearly unhealthy, acknowledging that they do need to do something, anything but what they're doing now, isn't necessarily attacking them.

Now, as for the OP, I've noticed the same things as a lot of you have, so I can't speak for her intentions, just for my own and probably some of the other posters. For me, I'm not posting here to point at someone and laugh that "OMG, they're SOOOO fat and gross!!!" But, yes, I do think that there are some people out there that DO need more than just dieting and exercise, and I don't think it's attacking them to point it out. Especially when some of these people struggle publicly with their weight, not to mention making money off that struggle (like Kirstie and Oprah).

Laurend, don't worry, I don't think anyone is going to yell at you, lol. On the contrary, I think if the comments had been more like yours, there wouldn't have been a big "to-do" over it. Your post actually seems sincere to me.

I think the reason people were on defense, is because this thread didn't start out being focused on the health aspect of needing a band. To me, it came across as people trying to make themselves feel better by calling out all celebs that have a little weight to lose and making fun of them (mainly the OP).

I've met people before that do this. Perfect example, I had a friend that was obese. She was very self-conscious about herself. Any time we were in public, she would make comments about others that she saw. She would say things like, "OMG, those pants make her look twice as big" or "Her arms are huge", constantly. Somehow, picking people apart made her feel better about herself and it drove me crazy. That's exactly how this thread came across to me.

I agree with you, there are some celebrities that would benefit greatly from the band. I just don't think we should have the mind-set that every overweight person needs a band, especially those that only need to lose a few pounds (like some that were mentioned previously). It's a great tool for many, but it's not a good choice for everyone.