Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Which celebrity do YOU think needs the Lap Band?

Oprah! I never want to hear about another one of her stupid diets again. Everytime, THIS is the one that will work. She gives out so much advice about losing weight, yet she struggles with the same old pounds time and time again. When is she going to realise that she's fighting a losing battle? Its not that I dont sympathise with the battle, but I'm tired of hearing how she knows it all!.

Jachut - took the words right out of my mouth !!!

I don't think any of us can say someone NEEDS lapband surgery. We all know that the lapband is a personal decision and is not for everyone. Some people may be able to find a different solution that works for them. Some may be content with their current weight even though others may suggest they need to lose a few pounds.

I don't think any of us can say someone NEEDS Lap Band surgery. We all know that the Lap Band is a personal decision and is not for everyone. Some people may be able to find a different solution that works for them. Some may be content with their current weight even though others may suggest they need to lose a few pounds.

Darling this is the rant and raves section - not the support section.:rolleyes2:.

And NO ONE IS TRULY CONTENT BEING MORBIDLY OBESE - We hide behind that little saying (Oh accept me for who I am - yadda yadda - I parroted the same b.s. but truly it's called denial)

And do they give alot of Lapbands to people who are only a 16? Maybe a 16 at 4'5 would warrant one or maybe I am just really fat and 16 seems ok to me.

Yes they do. They have atleast 3-4 centers in the United States specializing in WLS/LB for Adolecents.

There's a few in Mexico too.

I go to the one in Chicago, I'm 15.

The 'New Hope' Program is 14-18 for children that have been struggling for weight 5+ years.

They have banded about 200, and have 100 waiting.

I should be getting my band around June.

[:

Nikkikki, good luck getting your band in June. Good for you for taking control of things while you're young. I think the '16' in the post you responded to referred to size and not age. That sounds very small to me, too, but I'm sure someone could find a doctor somewhere who'd do it.

Darling this is the rant and raves section - not the support section.:thumbup:.

And NO ONE IS TRULY CONTENT BEING MORBIDLY OBESE - We hide behind that little saying (Oh accept me for who I am - yadda yadda - I parroted the same b.s. but truly it's called denial)

Some people are the same no matter what section they are in. I am always about respecting my fellow woman and men in support, discussion, R&R or wherever I am. I think people should show some class. (Not that anyone has been trashy here, but I couldn't get my lbt fix this morning so I went to obesityhelp- talk about some namecalling non-supportive people)

And SOMEONE might be content being the size they are. You can't really make that statement truthfully. I can honestly say that I am not happy being Obese, and you can truthfully say you were not happy being obese and that YOU were in denial. And whether someone is happy being larger isn't really the issue of being accepted, IT's about being treated like a person and being accepted even THOUGH one is bigger, larger, etc.

Not to mention how personal of a choice it is to get the Lapband, or any other WLS, I am not important enough to tell someone they should get a surgery because It might not be right for them. Only the individual knows if they "need" any sort

What if someone told a real chocoholic they needed RNY? Can you imagine constantly being sick because you couldn't stop yourself from eating chocolate. What a miserable existance. Or someone who was never ready for the lapband getting it anyway and hurting themselves because they throw up everymeal but cannot give up their overreating. How many people have had to have revision surgery because they were not ready the first time. (Thats not the only reason for revision surgery, but def. one of them)

This whole speech is not directed at you. Just the one paragraph. Sorry about the length.

Yes they do. They have atleast 3-4 centers in the United States specializing in WLS/LB for Adolecents.

There's a few in Mexico too.

I go to the one in Chicago, I'm 15.

The 'New Hope' Program is 14-18 for children that have been struggling for weight 5+ years.

They have banded about 200, and have 100 waiting.

I should be getting my band around June.

[:

No, I meant size 16. sorry if I wasn't clear on that. I don't think age is a factor in WLS but I would think BMI or weight would be unless you have severe weight related problems at a lower BMI.

Some people are the same no matter what section they are in. I am always about respecting my fellow woman and men in support, discussion, R&R or wherever I am. I think people should show some class. (Not that anyone has been trashy here, but I couldn't get my lbt fix this morning so I went to obesityhelp- talk about some namecalling non-supportive people)

And SOMEONE might be content being the size they are. You can't really make that statement truthfully. I can honestly say that I am not happy being Obese, and you can truthfully say you were not happy being obese and that YOU were in denial. And whether someone is happy being larger isn't really the issue of being accepted, IT's about being treated like a person and being accepted even THOUGH one is bigger, larger, etc.

Not to mention how personal of a choice it is to get the Lap Band, or any other WLS, I am not important enough to tell someone they should get a surgery because It might not be right for them. Only the individual knows if they "need" any sort

What if someone told a real chocoholic they needed RNY? Can you imagine constantly being sick because you couldn't stop yourself from eating chocolate. What a miserable existance. Or someone who was never ready for the Lap Band getting it anyway and hurting themselves because they throw up everymeal but cannot give up their overreating. How many people have had to have revision surgery because they were not ready the first time. (Thats not the only reason for revision surgery, but def. one of them)

This whole speech is not directed at you. Just the one paragraph. Sorry about the length.

We are all entitled to our opinions - food is an addiction - adverstion therapy works for some :thumbup: - Some addicts recover and some don't

We are all entitled to our opinions - food is an addiction - adverstion therapy works for some :thumbup: - Some addicts recover and some don't

Very well said.

...also, I want to make it very clear I was in NO WAY acting like a kid standing around talking about other people to make myself feel better. I make myself feel better by losing this fat around my body, and by getting my big but up and working out for hours a day. Sitting around and talking about others doesn't do this.

Yes, I did say Oprah had a jacket on that she should not have been wearing. So? I'm into fashion, and when I make a comment about what a celebrity is wearing in the public eye, it has nothing to do with how I feel about myself. At all. I find it no different than when a fashion analyst comments on what a celebrity is wearing at awards shows or out on the town. Besides, it caught me off guard because I usually always like the way Oprah is dressed.

I typically dress the part... So please do not assume that is what I'm about, because this is just a message board. There's no way to tell what one is really thinking or feeling or what this person or that person is like in real life. It's also hard to express oneself with only black and white. No facial expressions or word tones, etc.

If some of you feel I was doing it that way, then so be it. I'm not here to make everyone feel happy, but I'll try to help people when I can.

Ok, I'm done with this thread. I really don't like to get confrontational at all. It's not something I strive to do.

Take care all.

Edited by LilMissDiva

Really,by the same token Ready Steady Go if you wouldnt be so presumptuos as to tell someone they NEEDED a band (which I agree would be rather rude), you're being just as presumptous by stating your opinion about what isnt big arent you? By US standards, I would have been a US 16 at 5ft 10 when I was banded as I was about an Australian size 20. Its BIG and its overweight for anyone under about 6ft 3!. I had a BMI of 35 to fill out that size! Thats FAT!. In Australia where people arent generally as obese as they are in the US, my weight was high enough (at 245lb) for me to be admonished every time I went to the doctors, I couldnt buy decent clothes anywhere, had to shop in plus size shops, I looked terrible, I wouldnt have even THOUGHT about going onto the beach in a bikini, couldnt wear anything sleeveless.

So if you think its rude to gossip about celebs have you consiered how rude it is to state your opinion about who DOESNT deserve a Lap Band?

I suspect your views on what's big and what isnt are skewed by the fact that you live in a country where obesity is a real problem and has a much larger incidence of very severe morbid obesity. Being "normal" and looking like everyone else is no insurance for your health when almost everyone is too big! And like you said, with all due respect, having had a much more severe weight problem than I did, 16 may really seem OK to you. It certainly didnt for me, it represented a low point in my life where I was disgusted in what I had become.

Edited by Jachut

I just found out that Kirstie Alley is planning to start her own line of weight loss centers. Because when you think of successful dieters, you think of people like Kirstie Alley. :w00t:

- Oprah - forget training 4 hours a day...get a little band help - I hate seeing her work so hard & get no where :w00t:

- Kirstie Alley& Valerie Burtinelly (sp?) just lost a bunch on Nutri-System, & Queen Latifa is next.

Edited by *Love*

Oh yeah, Kirstey Alley with a weight loss centre. What's next? The Lindsay Lohan Alcohol treatment centre? The Britney Spears Mental Health Centre? The Mary Kate Olsen Fashion Advice Service?

Honestly, these people are in the public eye, their successes and failures are there for all to see. How can you help forming a judgement about it?

Actually Marie Osmond is using Nutri/system. Valerie and Kirstie used Jenny Craig.