Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Which celebrity do YOU think needs the Lap Band?

Brandy I think you're right, healthy self acceptance is what we're after, no matter what size. That's SELF acceptance, not necessarily public acceptance, because I dont know about "real" role models. Average women yes, we cant all look like supermodels and shouldnt feel we have to try to. But I have a problem with decidedly overweight people becoming our role models instead. I mean back to Queen L, she's really quite overweight (but I never said she wasnt gorgeous or sexy!). That's not healthy either. We dont want to be teaching young girls to try to look like emaciated catwalk models, but we cant go too far in the other direction and start saying that "big is the ONLY beautiful" when its just plain not the healthiest state to be in.

Its something that comes up all the time here and it disturbs me, which is why I responded harshly to a post way back in this thread about size 16 being too small for a Lap Band. I cant be bothered gong back to find the poster's name, she got the sh*ts about it, but it happens all the time. People complain about how they get discriminated against because they're fat and yet they turn around quick as a wink and make disparaging remarks and assumptions about thinness.

Like, since when should a thin woman not be a role model? Its not freaking unhealthy to be thin. Its unhealthy to be anorexic or bulimic, or jsut living obsessivly to stay thin, but last I checked, if someone was born thin and utterly gorgeous looking, they're just lucky, not sick, and they're not necessarily unworthy role models. Yet we descend on them like a pack of hyenas.

To go the complete opposite way and start saying that Queen L (for example) is the epitome of health, to me that's stupid. The Dove campaigns are trying to accomplish self accpetance for women, whatever their size and that's commendable, but in the one in Australia anyway, there's no thin women in it. Which is ridiculous as plenty of people are thin too.

I dont particularly respond to an advertising campaign including cellulite. I have to have the "fantasy" of the product I'm buying achieving miracles, lol. On a conscious level I know it wont, I know the pics are airbrushed etc. But why the heck would I buy something to make me look the way I already look?

Hi Jachut,

Hence I did put "healthy" self acceptance. I know you're down to your goal weight or past it and are happy with your body as I can see by your avatar, if that is you, then you look marrvalous.

But anywho, there are a lot of women no matter what size they are who will never feel completely accepting of their own bodies. Men too. It's not just a women issue anymore.

I currently weigh 248.03 lbs, I have weighed 125 pounds, I may have looked better, may have been healthier physically, I was also 20 but I still did not feel good about my body. This maybe something you cannot understand or relate to. But there are many of us who will not be a size 0 but are being told in so many ways that a size 0 is what we should strive for. Men, I think it's a size 6"+, that's a :blushing:.

Seriously though, there should be no harm or shame in a girl or boy who is overweight in feeling good about themself even though they may not fit the "standard" of our cultures.

I'd like to think that we humans have evolved a bit more than that. We live with enough shame every day because of our size, if there are others out there that we can relate to size-wise and they are good people where is the harm in that and why does it bother you so much that it makes us feel good!!!!!

I don't even want to be a size 0 again, I'm freakn 48 years old and I've been with the same loving man for 28 freakn years. He loves me as I am but I have been brainwashed to think my whole life that unless I'm a certain size I'm WORTHLESS!

I'd think someone who has been there would be able to be a bit more empathetic. I never said I think everyone in the world should weigh 500 lbs but no matter what we weigh or how we look we don't need people reinforcing those bad feelings like you seem to want to do.

Am I only to be happy when I've reached "goal", am I only acceptable to you once I've reached goal? I accept you at your weight can you accept me and others are our weights? Thanks brandyII:closedeyes:

Sorry I was so angry but tomorrow I'm going to drive 8 hours for a funeral for my sister-in-law's mother who died way too young because of lung cancer. My own mother died of lung cancer at the age of 51.

Women have used cigarettes for years to keep from eating too much and gaining weight. This woman died thin. I don't know if that's what she was striving for. I'm sure she would have rather have spent a few more years alive to see her grandson graduate from medical school.:blushing: brandyII still striving to be happy in her own skin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Oh boy Brandy, did you *really* just say that? I can believe you would bring up someone's unfortunate death and hint that the evil desire to be thin was the reason for it.

Look, I think people can be role models for all sorts of reasons other than based on what they look like and I also think people are beautiful just because they are, and some people are just not blessed with being attractive - fat and thin has little to do with it.

But what irks me, and what I dont see to be able to say succinctly is this whole "the whole evil thin world is against me" attitude that so many here seem to have. Its got very little to do with empathy, its got a lot to do with that victim attitude and truly, without being nasty, smart or derogatory, I really believe its why so many peopl ehave weight problems. They seem truly unable to look deep within themselves, say "I have an eating problem and I just dont want to exercise". Instead they fluff around the edges: "oh, society has given me an unrealistic role model", or "our daughters are getting fatter becuase they're being given unsuitable role models, its got nothing to do with the crap I put on the dinner table and the way I let her watch TV for ten hours at a time". Putting someone like Oprah up on a pedestal is not the way to deal with it, working on your own self worth and your own responsibility for the shape you are in is. Now we've all taken steps in the right direction here, of course we have, but many people just dont seem to truly own it. Truth is size 16 IS just fine if its truly what you want to be, but you cant just call that the new "beautiful" and suddenly half the population isnt fat! Do you get what I mean?

Brick wall, meet head.

Oh boy Brandy, did you *really* just say that? I can believe you would bring up someone's unfortunate death and hint that the evil desire to be thin was the reason for it.

Look, I think people can be role models for all sorts of reasons other than based on what they look like and I also think people are beautiful just because they are, and some people are just not blessed with being attractive - fat and thin has little to do with it.

But what irks me, and what I dont see to be able to say succinctly is this whole "the whole evil thin world is against me" attitude that so many here seem to have. Its got very little to do with empathy, its got a lot to do with that victim attitude and truly, without being nasty, smart or derogatory, I really believe its why so many peopl ehave weight problems. They seem truly unable to look deep within themselves, say "I have an eating problem and I just dont want to exercise". Instead they fluff around the edges: "oh, society has given me an unrealistic role model", or "our daughters are getting fatter becuase they're being given unsuitable role models, its got nothing to do with the crap I put on the dinner table and the way I let her watch TV for ten hours at a time". Putting someone like Oprah up on a pedestal is not the way to deal with it, working on your own self worth and your own responsibility for the shape you are in is. Now we've all taken steps in the right direction here, of course we have, but many people just dont seem to truly own it. Truth is size 16 IS just fine if its truly what you want to be, but you cant just call that the new "beautiful" and suddenly half the population isnt fat! Do you get what I mean?

Brick wall, meet head.

Yes, yes I did. Have you ever smoked? I have and I know why a lot of people do prior to the actual addiction. Research old smoking ads and you'll see that some were directed towards women to keep their weight down! This woman was a nurse so I think she knew that "smoking may cause cancer".

I'm still a bit confused as to what your actual shtick is but let's just say it's different from mine. So we'll just have to agree to disagree because there's no way I am going to get my point of view across to you and there's no way vice versa.

Did I ever say "the whole thin world is out to get me?" No, I don't think so. It's being sold to me left and right but out to get me no. I love thin people, some of my best friends are thin. I actual have thin relatives too. My dog is thin and I really love her but she loves to snuggle with me at night to keep her warm!

If I put Oprah on a pedestal, and I never mentioned her before, it's because she's a very successful African American woman not because she has weight issues but DESPITE her weight issues!!!

People like to watch TV, they like to see people on TV that represent them. African Americans like to see shows with African American people in those shows. Asians like to see themselves represented on TV and in movies too. Most people like to see themselves represented in a positive light. The world is not made up of all perfect looking white people and so it's nice to be represented in our world by good roll models. We already have plenty of good thin roll models can't we have a couple large size ones too, please, pretty please!!!!!!! brandy II, still awake at 1:37 AM Eastern time!

Just to retract a little bit, the average height and weight for a true model is between 5'9 and 5'11, and their weight is from 110 lbs. to 120 lbs and the standard size is 2 (American). How do I know this? America's Next Top Model baby!! :mad:

This would make their BMI anywhere from 16.2 to 17.7. This is very clearly below the normal lowest healthy range of 18.5. I hope no one would want to go for that, it is also unhealthy. I'm not pointing anyone out here on these forums, as I have not seen anyone who did say that they want to be this. I just wanted to make a point that those who do want to be model thin is also going for unhealthy.

Brandy, I loved how you pointed to mine and some other posts talking about Queen Latifah and saying the R&R is a good place to get our PMSing out rather than going out and eating up the neighborhood (improvising of course)! :P Anyway, I wish that were true... LOL! :smile2:

Edited by LilMissDiva

LilMis, so true, so true, could have been eating ice cream but my fingers were typing, lol.

Hey when I was growing up there were no size 1 and 0s the fashion industry changed the sizes I suppose to make us feel better about ourselves? thanks brandyII

Just to retract a little bit, the average height and weight for a true model is between 5'9 and 5'11, and their weight is from 110 lbs. to 120 lbs and the standard size is 2 (American). How do I know this? America's Next Top Model baby!! :smile2:

I love America's Next Top Model! I think I've seen every episode, lol. What do you think of Whitney? I think she's gorgeous and doing quite well in the competition.

noooooo, really??????

I know, it's soooo obvious, especially since the OP bailed when all the debating started. I just think it's sad this person has nothing better to do.

Yes, yes I did. Have you ever smoked? I have and I know why a lot of people do prior to the actual addiction. Research old smoking ads and you'll see that some were directed towards women to keep their weight down! This woman was a nurse so I think she knew that "smoking may cause cancer".

I'm still a bit confused as to what your actual shtick is but let's just say it's different from mine. So we'll just have to agree to disagree because there's no way I am going to get my point of view across to you and there's no way vice versa.

Did I ever say "the whole thin world is out to get me?" No, I don't think so. It's being sold to me left and right but out to get me no. I love thin people, some of my best friends are thin. I actual have thin relatives too. My dog is thin and I really love her but she loves to snuggle with me at night to keep her warm!

If I put Oprah on a pedestal, and I never mentioned her before, it's because she's a very successful African American woman not because she has weight issues but DESPITE her weight issues!!!

People like to watch TV, they like to see people on TV that represent them. African Americans like to see shows with African American people in those shows. Asians like to see themselves represented on TV and in movies too. Most people like to see themselves represented in a positive light. The world is not made up of all perfect looking white people and so it's nice to be represented in our world by good roll models. We already have plenty of good thin roll models can't we have a couple large size ones too, please, pretty please!!!!!!! brandy II, still awake at 1:37 AM Eastern time!

Wow. That was really well written. At least I think so. Esp. the part about Oprah. I really respect that.

I can't make my causes someone else's and I can't make someones issues my own. Sometimes I forget that. You did this so well. You rock, BrandyII and I so mean that.

I loved your post.

To go the complete opposite way and start saying that Queen L (for example) is the epitome of health, to me that's stupid. The Dove campaigns are trying to accomplish self accpetance for women, whatever their size and that's commendable, but in the one in Australia anyway, there's no thin women in it. Which is ridiculous as plenty of people are thin too.

I dont particularly respond to an advertising campaign including cellulite. I have to have the "fantasy" of the product I'm buying achieving miracles, lol. On a conscious level I know it wont, I know the pics are airbrushed etc. But why the heck would I buy something to make me look the way I already look?

How would we know Queen L is not healthy? Has she already "tried" diet & failed - like many here? Are her big bone genes inherited? Could she kick my A$$ in a round of tennis?

I'd be more inclined to buy a product that she endorsed over someone who's maintained her "thin" self by abuse of diet or drugs.

I partcularly loved the Dove campaign because of it's "realness" .... All you have to do is just go to an airport and get a good pulse of the "avg" person. Overweight - yes, Thin - yes, Muscular - yes, Normal weight - yes../Short / Tall / White / Black / ,,...can keep going. What I enjoyed about that advertisement is that they showed "ALL" women, with different shapes / different colors / different hair / different height...I really didn't focus on there not being thin person - because I felt that was a pretty close depiction of who they were advertising too....Woman not overly focused about being "thin". And well I find that brillant - and it's paid off for them.

I didn't get the Lap Band to get thin. I wanted my athletic body back - in looks & health. Both my parents are very slim, they never gave up (like I did) their regimen of healthy eating & exercise in the 40+yrs they've been together.

The label of thin is annoying to me, it's got a "blue blood" connotation attached to it & really doesn't define health.

Now a size 16...yeah that's what I started out as, I'm 5'1 & that was NOT working for me; this whole discussion is very similar w/goal weight & BMI threads preceeding. Health is defined by many variables - and getting into a size 2 is not one of them.

Guest Leslie2Lose

I love America's Next Top Model! I think I've seen every episode, lol. What do you think of Whitney? I think she's gorgeous and doing quite well in the competition.

I love America's Next Top Model. I catch the reruns most weekends. I remember Takara (I know I spelled it wrong), from the 2nd or 3rd season. She was a plus size model. She was on Celebrity Fit Club this season. I watched the Celebrity Fit Club Finale the other night and she'd lost enough weight to be at a healthy BMI. She wasn't "super skinny" but looked really great. At the beginning of the season she told the judges/host that she didn't want to lose weight. They kept stressing that not having a healthy BMI, no matter your size, is unhealthy.

I love America's Next Top Model. I catch the reruns most weekends. I remember Takara (I know I spelled it wrong), from the 2nd or 3rd season. She was a plus size model. She was on Celebrity Fit Club this season. I watched the Celebrity Fit Club Finale the other night and she'd lost enough weight to be at a healthy BMI. She wasn't "super skinny" but looked really great. At the beginning of the season she told the judges/host that she didn't want to lose weight. They kept stressing that not having a healthy BMI, no matter your size, is unhealthy.

Yeah, I watch it all the time. I never really got into Celebrity Fit Club. The one time I was going to watch it, it was the time that "Skreech" from Saved By the Bell was on there and I just couldn't watch it. He was so crude to everyone, it made me sick!

Yeah, I watch it all the time. I never really got into Celebrity Fit Club. The one time I was going to watch it, it was the time that "Skreech" from Saved By the Bell was on there and I just couldn't watch it. He was so crude to everyone, it made me sick!

Oh I feel that! All that yelling and screaming and fits. And after all the crap he started on the celebrity fit club now he is on celebrity boot camp? Reality TV confuses me.

Yet I still love to watch Rock of Love. It fascinates me.

My roommate watches Next top model religiously. We like to do Tyra impressions at each other.