Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Miles or Dr. Schmitt patients

SHAWNA...you're there by now and I'm thinking about you. By the time you read this you'll be a banded woman with good days ahead-take care of yourself while you recover-

Hope all is going well Shawna! Girl I wasn't up to typing or reading for a day or so either but we do look forward to hearing from you!!

I am back... In a lot more pain than I expected, but I am here.

I got to Same Day Surgery about 6:30 and they took me straight back to pre-op. Veronica came in there and went over everything with me. She is so awesome. They gave me that shot in my stomach. I didnt even feel it. Then I went back into holding. The put in my IV (which did not hurt at all). Then they rolled me back to the OR and the last thing I remember was moving over to the operating table. I woke up in recovery and I was in some really bad pain. They kept asking if I wanted pain medication and I would say yes. Well they gave me 4 doses of morphine....ICK!! Morphine makes me sick. Well I get back to my little room and my mom tells me that I was back there for a long time because I had a huge hiatal hernia and Dr. Miles fixed it. That explains all the pain!!!!! But I got up and walked down the hall to the restroom and was trying to eat the ice chips and apple juice. They didnt make me drink it all (I drank a little over half - but it hurt to move). So they then gave me a shot of phenergan. So I slept the whole way home. I got in and went to bed. The pharmacy did not have any liquid loratab, and the prescription specified brand name so they couldnt feel it. I got my husband to get me some liquid tylenol. It helped a little. This morning I am still sore, but I can move a little better. I have had some tea and a popsicle.

Thanks for all the well wishes! And thanks for the text Wendy, that really made my morning!

I hope all of you are doing well!!

Shawna

CONGRATULATIONS!! You're banded!! Through all the pain it's hard to remember that you are banded isn't it. I know when I woke up in recovery I thought I was DYING!! Girl I would have DH or Mom pharmacy hopping to get that prescription filled. DH went to the apothacary to fill mine when I was still in the short stay room. I think it would have been better to have given us the prescription at preop but oh well.

I'm glad you're home and doing as well as you can. Try to walk every hour or so and do your breathing exercises. I never had REAL pain from the gas once I got home and I think that's due to the walking and the gas x strips.

Keep us upated as you feel better!! Thanks for the update!

Great to hear from you Shawna. Glad everything went well. Heck, I'm glad everything went at all!! You are so right about Veronica. Just returned from my Nutrition class and she is just so inspirational. I'm all pumped up again.

Karen (surgery last Friday), just stopped by and she is doing well, although weak. She showed me all her incisions! :biggrin2:

And Shawna, I'm sure I speak for everyone here, did they use your CPAP?????

LOL - No they did not use my cpap - in fact it stayed in my moms car for the duration! What a crock! They told me at my preop testing that I just needed to bring it and leave it in the car, so I did. Several people asked if I had it and I just told them it was in the car and they were like "ok" and that was it.

I am feeling some better today. I am still sore and I did end up having that gas settle in my shoulder. Though it is not unbarable, its just uncomfortable. The pain meds do help and I fine that it eases up if I lay on that side. I am trying to get up and walk around every so often to loosen up. I think I will be okay to go back to work on Monday.

I have 7 incisions. One big one in the middle - I am guessing from the hernia repair. I showered yesterday and took off all the bandages and they look good. Im just itchy where all the tape was (I have an allergy to the adhesive on tape and bandaids).

So Wendy when do you start mushies? Tell me how that goes. Also can you give me an idea what you did for full liquids? I will start those Saturday. I am really surprised that i have not really been hungry at all. I drink tea and crystal light and eat popsicles and Jello. I am ready for some Soup or something not "sweet" tasting - I was never a big sweets person.

Hope you all are doing well!!

=)

Shawna

Veronica said something about CPAP yesterday that made sense to me. Your body needs oxygen to heal. Even though I'm still not going to attempt to sleep with the thing, I might use it while I'm drug induced on the couch the day I come home from surgery. Evidently, when I'm on my back I don't do a whole lot of breathing. Couldn't hurt.

Glad you're feeling a little better today. Sounds like you're on the road to recovery.

So Wendy when do you start mushies? Tell me how that goes. Also can you give me an idea what you did for full liquids? I will start those Saturday. I am really surprised that i have not really been hungry at all. I drink tea and crystal light and eat popsicles and Jello. I am ready for some Soup or something not "sweet" tasting - I was never a big sweets person.

Hope you all are doing well!!

=)

Shawna

Glad to hear from you Shawna! One day at a time you'll get to feeling better and be back to yourself soon!

I will start mushies tomorrow. I'm looking forward to it but afraid of gaining at the same time. food has almost become my enemy lol. As far as the last 10 or so days.. I've been having the VHT smoothie Extremes (from the apathocary), Carnation Instant Breakfast (no suger added w fat free milk) cream of chicken soup, sf popsicles, sf jello, some juices (when I noticed the carbs I stopped drinking them) Tomato Soup (wasn't crazy about that) and pro cal 100 pudding (15 grams of protein) from the apathocary. (pretty filling) I purchased some brocolli and cheese soup but never tried it. My meals have been pretty much the same from day 4-14 but thank God that part is about over. I think all the soup, with the sodium in it, was not helping me to loose.

SHAWNA....YEA, You're banded! I am so happy for you and glad that all went so well. I do have a question... have you regretted anything so far? Do they ask which side you want the port on or is it always on one specific side? Thanks for answering these silly questions... and I hope you have a speedy recovery!

SHAWNA....YEA, You're banded! I am so happy for you and glad that all went so well. I do have a question... have you regretted anything so far? Do they ask which side you want the port on or is it always on one specific side? Thanks for answering these silly questions... and I hope you have a speedy recovery!

LOL there are no silly questions!! I do not regret it at all. I am 5 days out and still just a little bit sore. But honestly it has not been hard at all. My husband has been great. He even took the kids out to eat last night so I wouldnt smell the cooking...(at least that is his excuse). Funny thing is, I have showed my stomach to more people than I can count...LOL!

They didnt ask me about my port. I am assuming it is on my left side, because that is where I have more pain, I cant feel it yet though.

HTH

=)

Shawna

Funny thing is, I have showed my stomach to more people than I can count...LOL!

Shawna

Hey Shawna! This is hilarious! I sooo agree. I would have never showed my stomach to the people who have seen it lately haha! I guess it's pride that we are doing something to get rid of it.. see it while you can haha.

I've been out of town this weekend and wanted to check on you. How are you doing now? Pain getting better?

LOL! yeah I am pretty proud of these staples. They are coming out tomorrow (Tuesday) at 2:30.

The pain is much better. I still have the shoulder pain, but I just suffer through it. Its only at certain times, so maybe I can find a trigger for it. But I did 8 hours today at work with no problem, I even took the stairs (I always take the stairs - but I was afraid that I would still be too weak - It is so embarrassing to get on the elevator to go up 1 floor with a dr.). But I went through the whole day without ever getting really hungry!

How was your weekend Wendy? I hope everyone is doing well!

=)

Shawna

It seems to me that the port is always on the left side... I know mine is and when I was looking at the pictures of the band, it seems that it would pull it too tight if it had to be stretched to the right side. Of course, the latter part is just my opinion!

Ford Gal and SVG, Man, you girls must be a doing a lot better than me! I am just so tired. I am 5 days out and have a sit down job but to think of doing a full day right now is just overwhelming. I sat at the desk for a couple of hours today but thankfully I work from home so I have the luxury of working as I need to.

Shawna I know you're excited to get them staples out. I sure slept better after they were gone!! I am now able to sleep on my left side without that pulling feeling.. that went on after staples were removed but thank God it's gone now.

We had a great weekend in Mississippi with my family. Friday was my first day on mushies and I haven't done so well with that. I did loose(which suprised me.. I figured I would gain when starting them) but have had some pretty painful chest pain every since I started. I emailed Veronica today and she suggested that I go back to full liquids for tonight and talk with Lisa to see if they may have put Fluid in when they did the surgery. She said either I'm making bad food choices or may need to remove some fluid (If I do have some fill.. I don't want to remove any of it). I was eating what was on the paperwork but was mixing food together. ex: mashed potatos and mac n cheese. I don't remember them telling us not to do that but it's very possible that they did. So we'll see.

Missy.... I think you're doing fine! I was off work for 6 days (including surgery day) and then on my first day back to work, I gave out around 3. Take it slow! Once I was feeling better, I went wild. Riding bikes for 5 miles, walking 2 or 3 times a day... then it all caught up with me. Last Tuesday I was praying God would help me get home alive. I was almost falling asleep at the wheel.. came home and crashed at 5:30 and slept until the next day. So don't over do it. Take your time but do get SOME walking in.

How's your gas pain? Port pain? etc... I don't remember reading how your surgery went.