Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Miles or Dr. Schmitt patients

Everyone is covered (or not) by so many different types of insurance, it would be hard to address each one in the seminar. I felt they covered BCBS of Alabama quite well. I find it interesting reading these forums, it seems people go to seminars and sometimes it's months before they get an appointment to see a doctor. So, I think the circus might just be a well oiled machine (with a hiccup back at the office). I urge you to go to a support group meeting. I came away feeling really comfortable about the whole process. It was great to hear answers and see people who had actually been through the surgery and were at different stages of post-op. One woman even let everyone feel her port site. Don't be afraid to ask questions. And by all means, if you still don't feel comfortable find another doctor or even reconsider having surgery.

I am getting really discouraged with Neoami. I called her back today as she requested, for a surgery date. She says she still doesn't have the calendar she needs and she's going to be out for a while. I'm to call her back the 21st or 22nd, she says she might have a calendar then. By then it will be almost a month since I've had insurance approval. I don't understand what the deal is. But, I am rapidly losing my charming personality ^_^

Di...

I can feel your pain! There's nothing like jumping through hoops and just when you jump through the last one... BOOM!! You hit a brick wall. :biggrin:

If she is going to be out that long, do they not have someone else who will be handling the scheduling? That seems like an awful long time to go without scheduling people for the amount of business it looks like they are doing.

Good luck to you and let us know what you find out...

Well, I know that she has been out a lot lately, and this could be the whole reason for the back log. I gave myself my own advice last night, to keep the end result in mind. Anyway, I think I'll call next week and ask who could help me in her absence. Maybe I'll get somewhere!

I have been considering lapband surgery for a year or so. I finally went to the seminar with Dr. Schmitt in January. I drove almost 3 hours to get there and was very excited about finally getting information on the surgery. I hate to say it, but the way the seminar went made me step back and think again. It was like a circus and quite frankly I have never had a medical staff act so crappy. It made me feel like all they wanted was for me to sign on the bottom line so they could get paid. They never discussed (or disclosed) that some of my procedure and/or related tests might not be covered (I have BC/BS). Dr. Schmitt has great credentials but his bedside manner is making me feel uncomfortable. I went to my first months visit with my GP but have not been back again because I am starting to have doubts. I have learned more on this discussion board than I have anywhere... are there any suggestions for a another doctor in Alabama. I am going to the lapband support group next Saturday in Bham at Dr. Schmitt's location and I hope to get a more positive response from real people that have had the surgery. I'm not above blaming this on my own jitters.. but, my gut has a bee in it that won't quit worrying me. I know I need the surgery, but, it's scary enough doing it without having to worry about the doctor and his staff. Thanks for any suggestions!

Band, where you from? There is a great DR here in Tuscaloosa. Dr. Bilton of University Surgical Associates.

Band...sorry, don't know how I missed your post!

Anyway, it would probably be helpful to us all to know the area you are coming from in order to recommend. However, with that being said, I have been trying to decide between 2 different docs in Bham that seem wonderful! They also have a great staff.

Dr. Andrew Dewitt

Dr. Touliatos

I agree with you about the Miles/Schmitt thing. I think they are very experienced surgeons who do a great job but I just felt like another number instead of a patient. I don't know why that is so important to me but it always has been. Good luck to you and let us know if you have any other questions!! :biggrin:

Any Miles or Schmitt patients with BCBS care to share their EOB from surgery? I'm still in limbo on how much this is going to cost me in the end. I know the deposit amount but I have NO IDEA what to expect after the insurance is billed. It looks like I would be better off financially to spend the night but I'm not sure if they will let me. I just wondered if anyone minds giving me a run down on their bills.. including physician, anesthesia, hospital, the band itself?! Thanks!!

Just read an article in this morning's Bham News, Dr. Schmitt started using the Realize Band last week. I would post a link, but can't find the article on al.com - Everything Alabama He said although popular opinon is the Realize band has fewer incidents of erosion, his office has had zero instances of erosion with the LAPBAND. The article didn't say, but I wonder if he's the first giving it a try in Alabama. As of last month, no one in Alabama was using it yet.

At our nutrition class last week, we were told that Friday (4/11) would be his first time to use it. The patients were given the option of which one they wanted. I can't remember for sure if he is the only one certified in Alabama but I know she said Dr. Miles is going to the seminar to be certified soon so only Dr. Schmitt patients can get it at this time. I am using Miles ...not sure which is worse.. having the choice of which band or not having a choice lol.

I'm not sure I want a choice either! After a couple years of researching the surgery at all, now I have to get busy on deciding which band! Hell, by the time I get a surgery date, there may be yet another band.......

Any Miles or Schmitt patients with BCBS care to share their EOB from surgery? I'm still in limbo on how much this is going to cost me in the end. I know the deposit amount but I have NO IDEA what to expect after the insurance is billed. It looks like I would be better off financially to spend the night but I'm not sure if they will let me. I just wondered if anyone minds giving me a run down on their bills.. including physician, anesthesia, hospital, the band itself?! Thanks!!

I'm at work and dont have my EOB in front of me, but I know for a fact I would have been much better off to have stayed overnight, financially speaking. The band itself was the largest charge by far. It was billed as durable medical equipment, which for outpatient surgery is only covered at 70% by my insurance (Federal BCBS). If I had been inpatient, it would have been covered 100%. Do a search on my previous posts, I think I have posted more detailed information. I will try to remember and bring in my EOB and will scan it in if possible. I do now that others with the exact same type of insurance have paid less than I did...still trying to figure out that one!

That's what I am worried about. I know what I have to pay upfront but I'll be scared to go to the mailbox after it's over. There has to be SOME way for them to give me an estimate! It don't sound like they will allow me to stay the night but I might ask him about it. If you could email the EOB to me that would be AWESOME!! wendy@fourroux.com

That's what I am worried about. I know what I have to pay upfront but I'll be scared to go to the mailbox after it's over. There has to be SOME way for them to give me an estimate! It don't sound like they will allow me to stay the night but I might ask him about it. If you could email the EOB to me that would be AWESOME!! wendy@fourroux.com

You have mail. Good luck!

WOW!! The Medical Equipment charge!!! Thank God BC didn't allow anywhere near the billed charge.

Thanks!!! This gives me some idea of what to expect!!